Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-30-17, 11:08 AM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts on chances against Canton McKinley this week? I know they are usually pretty good. The game is Friday for sure, or Saturday when they usually play?
Old 11-01-17, 04:42 PM
All American

sehs
Should be a good game, I think the Eagles are a couple steps ahead of the Bulldogs but there is a lot of talent for McKinley.
Old 11-01-17, 09:05 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
The biggest concern I have is can the coaching staff put together a game plan and make the necessary adjustments to win, if they play again. Furthermore, this applies to next year and the following year, etc. It’s frustrating to see such talented teams that get all of the press clippings and hype on the Yappi message boards, lose to the wildcats year after year.

I will never understand how people that follow this rivalry, can so confidently predict an eagle victory when the man on the other side of the field is Coach Kyle. He gets the most out of his players and is the best at in game adjustments. If the eagles are fortunate enough to advance, it will be a battle and perhaps one of the best games played in recent years.

And then you have Super making these outlandish predictions who then disappears after a loss.
Old 11-02-17, 06:41 AM
All American

sehs
EP, we are amateur evaluators of teams but most of us have seen a lot of high school football, 95% of the time, the more talented team wins. That being said, St. Ignatius is perhaps a hair less talented then St. Ed's this year which mitigates the gap that the Eagles have most weeks.

Coach Kyle is the best coach in the state because he can routinely get his talented players to execute better then the other team and he figures out the best way to exploit weaknesses. The Holy War last week showed a simple philosophy, capitalize on mistakes, don't make mistakes yourself. He didn't panic when it looked like his offense would have trouble protecting his qb and he didn't force things offensively, he just stuck to the game plan and they came out winners.

On a less football related note, I also believe that Coach Kyle gets his guys to buy into the entire community better. What I mean by that is, the football team is psyched up to play in front of their classmates, their classmates are ecstatic to be at the Holy War and when they win, the whole buy-in approach is working at its best. Iggy came as a whole school ready to play on Saturday, their kids were loud the whole game and the football team could not wait to run over to the student section after the win to sing the alma mater.

Compare that with St. Ed's who struggled with student attendance all season, meets at midfield for their debrief before walking over to the student section to do their alma mater and does not have much going for it from students that are not on the football to support the football team. While I think it is less important then the football part of this, I do believe it still counts a lot with a group of teens. Ignatius does the human factor of football much better than St. Ed's.
Old 11-02-17, 06:52 AM
All American

sehs
To be clear, this does not mean St. Ed's cannot consistently win against a Chuck Kyle team, but I think they discount many things he does and then get frustrated when they are on the losing end of things.
Old 11-02-17, 08:00 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
All good points, has anyone asked the coaching staff why they donít allow the players to go to the student section right away?

My only comment is Edís needs to somehow get more night games. If they do youíll start to see better student sections. Hopefully the new AD can get some local teams to play them.
Old 11-02-17, 10:33 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Should be a good game, I think the Eagles are a couple steps ahead of the Bulldogs but there is a lot of talent for McKinley.
Ed's just needs to keep McKinley frustrated all game. If they score early and capitalize on a McKinley turnover or penalty, McKinley will have a serious problem trying to make a comeback. Ed's is a team that can put you behind 21-0 in the first quarter if you play sloppy.
Old 11-02-17, 11:45 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
SEHS is absolutely correct regarding tying the community to the success the school's academic and athletic teams enjoy to instill pride and promote its influence on future high school students. I recall the mob scene that occurred after the Eagles beat Wayne at Fawcett Stadium in 2010 and seeing all these young male children storming the field. I turned to my friends that attended the game with me that evening and stated that such an event and scene would lead to interested young men attending St. Edward High School in 2011 thru 2015... a sense of being connected to the school can galvanize community participation and foster success in the out years.

Regarding Kyle, patience and in game changes are some of his greatest strengths as a coach. He emphasizes all three phases of a football game to guarantee a win...watch how the contest tilts in close games due to field position. Special teams can matter when two teams are close to being evenly matched.

We have multiple teams to beat in advance of facing either the Wildcats or another worthy opponent in Week 13. Good luck to the team and staff this weekend as they compete against a very good McKinley squad.

Go Eagles!
Old 11-02-17, 01:02 PM
All Region

fballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
All good points, has anyone asked the coaching staff why they donít allow the players to go to the student section right away?

My only comment is Edís needs to somehow get more night games. If they do youíll start to see better student sections. Hopefully the new AD can get some local teams to play them.
I am sure St. Ed's would love to play more local teams. But unfortunately the only local teams will be the Buchtel's and Glenville beside St. Ignatius. you have to go back to 2007, 2008 and 2009 when strongsville, mentor euclid and benedictine were on the schedule. I am sure the AD has made phone calls with none being returned.
Old 11-02-17, 01:36 PM
All American

sehs
Part of that is due to Ed's not having a conference and most other schools having one. Mentor will commit to playing Ed's or Ignatius, but not both in the same season. They only have three games to work with before they get into their conference. schedule. I don't think St. Ed's has trouble finding opponents for weeks 1-3 but they have a tough time finding 4-10 because of conference schedules.
Old 11-02-17, 03:06 PM
All Ohio

I understand and appreciate the difficulty in creating a schedule for Edís football. And wonder how at the same time Ignatius can 8 night games to our 4 and play local teams like Glen Oak, Mentor, Euclid, Hoban and us.
Old 11-02-17, 04:32 PM
All World

I know of a few fans that have some theories...
Old 11-02-17, 09:55 PM
Varsity

KCOOLHIT
I personally love the fact that we play a National schedule. I enjoy traveling to see other teams that we haven't seen very often, talk to other fans from other schools, and see how we match up with out of state teams. I understand it doesn't always equate to many computer pts, but that is the direction the program has gone and there are pros and cons to it. When I was at the school, we rarely played anyone out of state. The program has grown, the direction has changed, and whether people agree or disagree, the school is not only on the National radar.....but they have built a solid reputation in that forum as well. I have witnessed the program grow in the last 10 yrs to the point that they now have National respect, where we have always had local community support and respect. It has just grown and that is something we should all be proud of as a family.
Old 11-04-17, 06:09 AM
All American

Any time you get a post season win, its significant. Too many turnovers these last two weeks. The Eagles can ill afford to be so generous in the coming weeks if they expect to advance. Congrats!

Go Eagles!
Old 11-04-17, 06:19 AM
All World

Slammer,

My thoughts as well with the turnovers. Six in the last two games alone, which is not what we are used to seeing. That cannot happen against an offense like Mentor. I’m interested to see how the QB rotation against Mentor plays out. It’s going to be a shoot out again!

Good luck eagles!
Old 11-04-17, 07:47 AM
All American

sehs
Turnovers are an equalizer against an inferior team. Too many mistakes period although the sequence that led to the Pick 6 was insane to me. They had confusion or elected not to field the punt, perhaps they felt a fake was coming. The punt rolls inches from the goal line, they spot it back at the one yard line hash mark. First play is a post route, almost hits Kent, unlucky but ball still at the one. Next play he's hit as he throws and the linebacker picks off the ball and runs in untouched. The sequence was head-scratching to say the least.

McKinley came in and capitalized on everything they could, Ed's came out flat and the Bulldogs fed off of that. Nice to see they asserted authority over the game with the first drive of the 2nd half but they never really were out of the woods all night. Looks like Dzuro got shaken up by one of the tackles and they did not attempt to run him after that but they also did not have to. I will say he looked extremely uncomfortable all night, ripped off some nice runs and had some nice throws too but just overall did not seem to run the offense extremely well. They are missing Kincaid a bit there, they just looked out of rhythm. What worries me is the pass completions on the night were screens, or little hitch routes, not a ton of down field although they did complete a couple. Against better teams, if they struggle to move the ball like they did they will be in a dog fight every week.

Hats off to McKinley, they came in ready to play and Ohio football is better when they are in the playoffs. I think this game will help the Eagles in the long run but they have a lot to work on, seemed like they played as if it were week 1.
Old 11-04-17, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Count me in the camp that is concerned about the way this team is playing right now. Not so much the defense at all, but the offense cannot expect to continue to turn the ball over at this rate and keep advancing. We are lucky to have the depth we do at RB, because something is wrong with Castleberry and he has not looked liked the same player the past few weeks. I'd like to see more of a vertical passing game as well, but the health of the receiving corp may be limiting the play calling right now. Staples was still out. Freeman played but was obviously not himself. Thank God Kent was back. That kid is a hell of a downfield threat.

And yes, the play calling from our own 1 yard line last night was head-scratching to say the least. I thought maybe we let Hue Jackson take the reigns for that series.
Old 11-04-17, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

If the O continues struggle and they continued to called for holding when they do make a play it could be a long night against Mentor. The D is really good, but we canít expect them to be on the field all night and keep them out of the end zone.

I came away more concerned about this team after the W last night than when they lost last week.
Old 11-04-17, 09:05 AM
Freshman

SehsC2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Looks like Dzuro got shaken up by one of the tackles and they did not attempt to run him after that but they also did not have to. I will say he looked extremely uncomfortable all night, ripped off some nice runs and had some nice throws too but just overall did not seem to run the offense extremely well.
In the 2nd quarter it appeared a backup was warming up and coaches were taking to him as if he was preparing to go in. Then the defense gave up a long drive and Dzuro was able to go back in. Does anyone know anything about Dzuro's backup? Is he capable of keeping them in games?
Old 11-04-17, 09:29 AM
All Ohio

Backup is a senior who has seen some limited playing time. Heís capable of running the O, but theyíll need to makes some adjustments so heís not under pressure to make plays himself.
Old 11-04-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
I thought the offense played pretty well in this game, the 37 points they put up was the most McKinley has allowed all year long. The offense struggled early, but came out in the second half and dominated the LOS, even after some penalties that put us in 1st and 2nd and longs they converted the first downs. The killer for us will be the turnovers.

This next weeks game is going to be very interesting, Mentor can put up some points and might be the best offense our defense has faced all year long.
Old 11-04-17, 11:40 AM
All Ohio

Edís path to victory is pretty basic. Eliminate the turnovers, holding calls, and offsides. Keep the Mentor O on the sidelines, donít waste good field position, and play the D they are capable of playing.
Old 11-04-17, 11:43 AM
All Ohio

If the team they played McKinley in the 1st half shows up it will be a long night. If the 2nd half team is the one that plays then I like our chances.
Old 11-05-17, 09:33 AM
All American

sehs
We have good coaches, they know how to put together a good game plan to play with anyone. The defense plays well but they can't be on the field the whole game as someone else said earlier. Pressure Mentor's qb and force them into mistakes. Establishing the run game with our running backs is key with only 1 qb now. The O-line needs to take up this challenge and get after it.
Old 11-05-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
I'm hoping we can pass the ball effectively against Mentor also, I'm just hoping we don't get into a track meet like 2012, which was also at Byers (63 to 56).
Old 11-05-17, 10:44 AM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I've seen both Mentor and Ed's numerous times this year. Ed's will win the LOS on both sides of the ball. If they don't turn it over, it may be a long night for Mentor. Mentors defense is average at best. Mentor also throws too many interceptions. It sounds like a good matchup when you hear "Ed's vs Mentor", but I have a bad feeling it could end up ugly. I really attribute Ed's struggle with McKinley last week to the physical battle they were in with Ignatius the week before. You see it at every level including the pros. A big hard fought game 1 week, the following week play flat. Ed's will not be flat. But Mentor is playing well I have to say. But they have not seen this type of team since week 2. And I'm not putting Euclid in the same class as Ed's. I hope it is a really good game, but not sure it will be. My fingers are crossed. Also I hope both teams bring more people than they did last week. Or Byers (if it is at Byers) will look pretty empty. That would also be tragic. Normal years this matchup would pack Byers. And maybe it will. I sure hope so.
Old 11-05-17, 10:54 AM
All District

HomerJay20
Ed's QB versus Mentor?

According to this Cleveland.com article, "Dzuro was out of action in Week 11 against Canton McKinley." Since Kincaid was out too, I say we go with whoever that guy was who played QB against Canton McKinley.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...-1-semifinals/
Old 11-06-17, 07:09 AM
All American

I recently watched an old YouTube video from 2010...the "Beat Mentor" episode. Funny stuff.

Mentor can sling the ball and finds production in the running game from a stable of backs. Logan Shea is the one wideout that caused Stow (and others throughout the season) fits all Friday evening. Triv is an exceptional coach and takes extraordinary pride in beating the Eagles.

It will be interesting to see how the Eagles staff approaches this game. Will Lombardo try to establish the run to consume the clock or open up the O and attack what has been a very suspect back 4 at Mentor in 2017?

Offensively, Mentor is balanced, but they do not enjoy the same running threats as in past years from either the QB or RB positions. Do the Eagles attack Tatarunas and live with the outcome of bringing additional athletes to get him off his mark and out of the box when he throws?

Great matchup and it will be fun to watch...Go Eagles!
Old 11-06-17, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
I recently watched an old YouTube video from 2010...the "Beat Mentor" episode. Funny stuff.

Mentor can sling the ball and finds production in the running game from a stable of backs. Logan Shea is the one wideout that caused Stow (and others throughout the season) fits all Friday evening. Triv is an exceptional coach and takes extraordinary pride in beating the Eagles.

It will be interesting to see how the Eagles staff approaches this game. Will Lombardo try to establish the run to consume the clock or open up the O and attack what has been a very suspect back 4 at Mentor in 2017?

Offensively, Mentor is balanced, but they do not enjoy the same running threats as in past years from either the QB or RB positions. Do the Eagles attack Tatarunas and live with the outcome of bringing additional athletes to get him off his mark and out of the box when he throws?

Great matchup and it will be fun to watch...Go Eagles!
Well, their RB's do have over 1,500 yards between them. I wouldn't sleep on their run game. But I do agree that it's beneficial not to have to deal with the dual-threat QB type they have had in past years. Pappas has used the blitz quite effectively this year, and if we are unable to generate consistent pressure with the front four I expect the heat to get dialed up.

I'd like to see us establish the run on offense. Make them commit to stopping it, and then hit the occasional big play over the top. I really don't want to see a quick-scoring back and forth shoot-out where the last team with the ball wins.
Old 11-06-17, 09:37 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
Edís path to victory is pretty basic. Eliminate the turnovers, holding calls, and offsides. Keep the Mentor O on the sidelines, donít waste good field position, and play the D they are capable of playing.
^ 100% correct ^

Mentor loves throwing the ball. If they are off the field or keep on throwing incomplete passes stopping the clock, Edís has more time to punish them.

I wish this game was on a Saturday, but it is what it is.