Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-18-18, 03:53 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Federal League ('18/'19)

Expectations for the 2018-2019 season?

Federal League
Canton McKinley
GlenOak
Green
Jackson
Lake
North Canton Hoover
Perry
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-18, 07:46 PM
All Region

JJBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Expectations for the 2018-2019 season?

Federal League
Canton McKinley
GlenOak
Green
Jackson
Lake
North Canton Hoover
Perry
I honestly don't know much about the others this year, but I feel McKinley has the talent and coaching this year to contend, if not win the league. The kids are young, though, and it will also take some adjustment to learn the methods of Coach V, our new coach. I do know he's a young coach players love playing for, and he's a winner.
Old 10-19-18, 12:08 PM
All District

Localfan is on a distinguished road
I think Perry is going to shock a few people this year.
Old 10-19-18, 02:49 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
How does Hoover look this year under their new coach?
Old 10-20-18, 07:08 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
My neighborhood kids say GO will give the Pups all they can handle the next few years.
Old 10-20-18, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
My neighborhood kids say GO will give the Pups all they can handle the next few years.
Maybe this year but not the next couple of years with all of the good sophomore's the Pups have.
Old 10-20-18, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
I think Perry is going to shock a few people this year.
Perry is not going to be able to sneak up on anybody this year,i think everyone knows how good they are.

So Perry is not going to shock a few people this year.But McKinley will shock a few people this year.
Old 10-20-18, 08:24 PM
All District

satriani is on a distinguished road
A lot of transition in the Fed this year but on paper, McKinley would have to be the favorite but they have to prove they can play as a team rather than a collection of good players. Green and Perry will contend too. Glenoak should be good but their dominance at the youth levels over the years hasn’t translated to success at the varsity level so the jury is still out. Lake, Jackson and Hoover are in transition so hard to tell how they will be. Each has their own set of question marks to find answers for but they should get better as the year progresses. Hoover probably the weakest team in the Fed.
Old 10-21-18, 12:42 AM
All Region

Akblue is on a distinguished road
Green has the best player in the Fed and most of his supporting cast returns. Bulldogs win the league for sure.
Old 10-21-18, 06:18 PM
Varsity

the phog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
Maybe this year but not the next couple of years with all of the good sophomore's the Pups have.
You are assuming that everyone stays put for the next three years. That is never a sure thing anymore.
Old 10-23-18, 12:39 AM
All Region

JJBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phog View Post
You are assuming that everyone stays put for the next three years. That is never a sure thing anymore.
Truth. But I think it's a fair assumption for this Bulldog basketball team. We don't normally lose players to other schools once they put on jerseys that say 'McKinley' and trot out to play in the biggest and best facility in Ohio HS basketball for a coach they like. It's a unique place with a unique tradition. I'm really looking forward to this year, and the Federal league is a pretty solid basketball league to be a part of.
Old 10-23-18, 09:56 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akblue View Post
Green has the best player in the Fed and most of his supporting cast returns. Bulldogs win the league for sure.
I agree the Bulldogs will win the league but not the ones you're thinking. LOL
Old 10-23-18, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Until McK plays like a team and not like they're on the playground they will still underachieve. Green tied for the league last year and didn't lose much if anything, they will be a year stronger as well and will continue to be able to play disciplined ball. Perry is a year older but record wise didn't get much done last year. I like Green and McK as the title favorites.
Old 10-23-18, 01:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
Until McK plays like a team and not like they're on the playground they will still underachieve. Green tied for the league last year and didn't lose much if anything, they will be a year stronger as well and will continue to be able to play disciplined ball. Perry is a year older but record wise didn't get much done last year. I like Green and McK as the title favorites.
Agree, I said the same thing in my first post on this thread.
Old 10-23-18, 03:44 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
You mean Until McKinley plays slow like snails (disciplined). High school no shot clock allows teams to run time off the clock.
Old 10-23-18, 03:53 PM
All District

McKinley's line up is looking like

PG 6'1
Guard 6'3
Guard 6'4
Forward 6'5
Center 6'6

With speed, power and strength. Did I forget to mention young
Old 10-23-18, 03:58 PM
All American

Orangeman89
As an outsider who has seen all these teams at some point over the past few seasons, here is my completely irrelevant take...

Canton McKinley - Lots of talent but also lots to prove.

GlenOak - Should definitely be the darkhorse, plenty of talent there!

Green - Size and depth concern me a little but starting five can play.

Jackson - Will be young but talented, could make some noise late.

Lake - Questions abound but McBride has found a way lately to make it work.

North Canton Hoover - Not a contender for the top spot but they have the right guy in Bluey to turn it around.

Perry - Depth and size issues, probably not a top three finish.
Old 10-23-18, 09:26 PM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You mean Until McKinley plays slow like snails (disciplined). High school no shot clock allows teams to run time off the clock.
No offense, but did you ever see Warren Harding play? I mean, when AV had the talent?
Old 10-24-18, 05:40 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No one pass and drive into three defenders and get a shot off, I like that offense, its fast!
Old 10-24-18, 08:33 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
As an outsider who has seen all these teams at some point over the past few seasons, here is my completely irrelevant take...

Canton McKinley - Lots of talent but also lots to prove.

GlenOak - Should definitely be the darkhorse, plenty of talent there!

Green - Size and depth concern me a little but starting five can play.

Jackson - Will be young but talented, could make some noise late.

Lake - Questions abound but McBride has found a way lately to make it work.

North Canton Hoover - Not a contender for the top spot but they have the right guy in Bluey to turn it around.

Perry - Depth and size issues, probably not a top three finish.
Don't sell yourself short Orangeman, that's a solid analysis.
Old 10-24-18, 10:16 AM
Freshman

Boomer104 is on a distinguished road
Bluey is great hire for Hoover.Team is young and hear a Freshman standout will be on the Varsity for the Vikings
Old 10-24-18, 10:37 AM
Varsity

Mck1983 is on a distinguished road
Here's a good question what does McKinley have to prove? In the last year 3 years hasn't McKinley won the district once and lost in double overtime in another?
Old 10-24-18, 10:43 AM
Varsity

Mck1983 is on a distinguished road
Sit back enjoy the great season that's brewing this year. It Should be a very good team this year and a new coach begins his era let's leave it at that and let's go pups!
Old 10-24-18, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

eastofeden is on a distinguished road
Federal league is loaded this year with good coaching and good,young talent...hard to pick a clear favorite...will be fun to watch
Old 10-24-18, 11:47 AM
All Region

starktops is on a distinguished road
The positives have all been discussed but as we know the questions are what usually rounds out the league This is no particular order but if you want a list the top preseason teams McKinley, Green may find GlenOak, Jackson, Lake, and Perry pushing up the ladder. Hoover I believe is a year away.
My evaluation:
McKinley, has always had talent and athleticism, but have never gotten over the back to back years. The question with them has always been do they put in the effort and have the mentality those championship players did over their careers to win. Vlajkovich was an excellent choice but he will not be the reason or excuse as many on here have placed on his contemporaries. It is the players and the days of McKinley showing up and winning are gone.
Green may have a POY candidate and experienced players with him, but the questions of depth and size are appropriate plus, defensively their style of defense always adds to their inconsistency on the floor home and home in the Federal League. Kinsley will field a competent team and they will come to play but after their 5 is a question.
GlenOak has the most to prove of these first three. Similar to McKinley getting over their championship teams GlenOak has to get over their impressions of unproved greatness. The youth wins are great but GlenOak has not followed that up. Also, their style of defense has also cost them year in and year out. Hackenberg had the structure at STA but not here, yet. They will fall to the middle or lower in the league if the players resort to the lack of discipline that seems to follow them when they hit varsity competition.
Lake also has a POY candidate and you can be sure they will be prepared and able to face any situation any league team tries against them. They return some experienced players as well and if they have developed the strength needed to play Federal League basketball, McBride will have the game plan every night to win. Depth will be the biggest hurdle for them and they always seem to have the role players to succeed.
Jackson is probably the biggest question mark this year. I do believe if the championship attitude still exists and they have put in the work they will be an issue for anyone on any night in the league. If Debevic has any complacency with the players they will have a difficult year. The question about the go to guy is in my mind when in the past they have had a number of guys to look to so the league may have an easier time game planning them.
Perry returns some experienced players and Spurgeon has a history of becoming an impact in the league in a very short time. If they develop the confidence needed in this league they can be a team that could challenge anyone. Offensively they are difficult to prepare for and if their shooting improves they could be a difficult team for anyone in the league to face.
Hoover will be a team on the rise but it may take them some time to be a problem to teams on any given night. They do have a little returning talent and they have some new players that will be good as well if they grow beyond their opinions of themselves. Bluey has always placed a prepared team on the floor and this one will be no different, but how soon can the get it together in this league
Old 10-24-18, 04:11 PM
All District

Starktops - Very solid analysis as well. Instead of reiterating many similar points, I'll spend my 2 cents on additional comments.

McKinley - New coach, some new players, new culture. If they can gel and play as a team, I think they walk away with the title. Staying out of foul trouble and good shot selection have been their downfall in recent years. No one in the league can compete with them from a size/length perspective. If they fail, it will be self-inflicted.

GlenOak - Really an enigma. On paper, should be very solid but in recent years, they've stumbled and were inconsistent. Rumors of some players not buying into the coach's philosophy over the last two years may have led to a disjointed locker room. Hack's system works but you have to have buy in and be disciplined in execution.

Lake - Not sure they have the size they've been accustomed too. Will be well coached and patient, which always helps. Probably do not have the depth to keep up with McKinley and GlenOak if those teams are playing well.

Green - Great guard play but limited depth. Will contend for sure and are battle tested. Should be a favorite but I'm not completely sold on them yet. I think other teams in the league will have success defending Martin and if so, will others be able to step up?

Jackson - Good coaches will game plan them the same on defense and attack them the same on offense. Will they have an answer and will they take good/smart shots? Debevec won't be afraid to take chances, line up wise, to find the right combination of players since many are interchangeable.

Perry - I really like their chances. Good young talent and well coached. Depth will be an issue though. Have a good combination of solid guards and length in the post. Mental toughness to get over the hump and believe they can win will be important.

North Canton - Probably will struggle this year with growing pains. Bluey is demanding and will the kids be able to take hard coaching? This year, that answer will be the key to how their season goes.
Old 10-25-18, 04:23 PM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Federal League ('18/'19)

If Mazzeo from Jackson remains healthy he will be a POY candidate. Defensively they will be a solid unit but need another go to scorer alongside Mazzeo. Could be Will Hyde or Spencer Stanton
Old 10-25-18, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
If Mazzeo from Jackson remains healthy he will be a POY candidate. Defensively they will be a solid unit but need another go to scorer alongside Mazzeo. Could be Will Hyde or Spencer Stanton
I like Hyde's game. At times he reminds me a little bit of Mark Henniger.
Old 10-25-18, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mck1983 View Post
Here's a good question what does McKinley have to prove? In the last year 3 years hasn't McKinley won the district once and lost in double overtime in another?
Here's the answer...

Last chance to get to the Final-4 in this decade!

:>---

SF
Old 10-26-18, 06:57 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
Jackson will have plenty of guards to rotate in defensively to keep people fresh. Scoring will be the initial question, especially if teams defend them as I would expect. IMO a guard will have to emerge as Hyde and Stanton can't create on their own. Could be Reed but if he's still playing a big defensive role, he may get worn down in games to be a consistent offensive contributor. He's been a very good defender for them but it would be helpful to find someone else to play that role to free him for scoring. Hence my previous comments about Debevec experimenting with the lineup early to find out who he can rely on as the season progresses.