Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-18-18, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

PGEMF is on a distinguished road
Dan Ross resigning as OHSAA Director

Effective September 15

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Dr. Dan Ross, Executive Director of the Ohio High School Athletic Association since 2004, announced his resignation, effective September 15. The OHSAA Board of Directors accepted Dr. Ross’ resignation letter Thursday at its regularly-scheduled January meeting.

Dr. Ross began his duties as the OHSAA’s ninth commissioner on Aug. 1, 2004. He has worked in education as a teacher, administrator and official since 1971, spanning a career of 48 years that is not yet finished.

“We would like to thank Dr. Ross for all that he has done for the OHSAA and our member schools,” said Paul Powers, president of the OHSAA Board of Directors and athletic administrator at Aurora High School in northeast Ohio. “Dan has done so many great things for high school sports in Ohio and has touched everyone associated with the OHSAA in such a positive way.”

Making ‘education-based athletics’ the pillar of his 14 years at the OHSAA, Dr. Ross plans to continue his passion for education and school sports in other areas. The OHSAA Board of Directors will begin implementing a succession plan and assemble a search committee for the OHSAA’s next executive director.

“I have been so blessed to serve our member schools in this capacity for 14 years,” Dr. Ross said. “I don’t plan to retire from my work of promoting all the positive things that school sports can do for our kids, schools and communities. We’ll see what the future holds for me. It’s time for me to step aside and allow for new leadership of the OHSAA. I would like to thank our current and former staff members and board members who I have worked with during my time at the OHSAA.”

“Dr. Ross has been the perfect person to lead the OHSAA,” Powers said. “He is respected by so many groups, such as administrators, coaches, officials, leaders of the other professional educational associations, lawmakers, the media and his fellow executive directors at other state associations. The list goes on and on. Being the head of an organization that enforces rules and regulations and has to make decisions that are not often popular is difficult. But anyone who has ever come in contact with Dan will tell you that he has made them feel special and always followed the motto that is on the pin he often wears on his lapel that says ‘children first.’”

Under Dr. Ross’ leadership, the OHSAA has added girls and boys bowling, dual team wrestling and girls and boys lacrosse, while also adding additional divisions in girls soccer, girls golf, boys swimming and football. In addition, the OHSAA added events for seated athletes at the state track and field championships beginning in 2013.

In 2011 Dr. Ross began the groundwork for the Competitive Balance initiative in light of a potential split between public and private schools. The Competitive Balance plan was passed by a referendum vote of OHSAA member schools in 2014 and successfully implemented in 2016.

Dr. Ross has strengthened the OHSAA’s partnerships with other educational service organizations by forming advisory committees with the state school boards, superintendents, principals and athletic administrators associations. He saw the OHSAA expand and diversify its Board of Directors and district athletic boards by adding female, ethnic minority and 7th-8th grade representatives. A standard statewide coaches education program was also adopted, which is required for certification.

Since his arrival, the OHSAA has strengthened its brand and awareness by creating the OHSAA Circle of Champions, increasing statewide television coverage of state tournaments, creating the OHSAA Radio Network, upgrading the OHSAA website and adding the OHSAA Magazine.

Dr. Ross is a native of Portsmouth, Ohio, and graduated from Columbus St. Charles High School (1967). He holds degrees from Ohio Dominican University (bachelor’s, 1971), Xavier University (master’s, 1973) and Bowling Green State University (Ph. D., 1983). Among the many positions he held prior to joining the OHSAA was superintendent of the Patrick Henry Local Schools (1983-86), Pickerington Local Schools (1986-97) and Avon Lake City Schools (1997-04). He was also a registered OHSAA contest official for 20 years in the sports of baseball, basketball and volleyball. He and his wife, Kris, have four grown children and their spouses, and nine grandchildren.

http://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/arti...es-Resignation
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-18, 10:47 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Will their be a state wide private school Day of Mourning scheduled. Asking for a friend.
Old 01-18-18, 10:54 AM
Moderated User

AAUHoopsOnly is an unknown quantity at this point
Walls closing in on Hoban ?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-18-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Don’t let the door hit ya
Old 01-18-18, 02:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I wonder why September 15th?

Don't know much about these things, just seems odd since he started on August 1st.

Will they hand the day-to-day running of the OHSAA over to someone else during the Summer so that person can put their mark on the 2018-2019 school year?
Old 01-18-18, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
I got it
Old 01-18-18, 04:20 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
Will their be a state wide private school Day of Mourning scheduled. Asking for a friend.
That's pretty funny
Old 01-18-18, 04:59 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, but there will also be a statewide private school celebration scheduled for the very next day when his replacement officially takes over.
Old 01-19-18, 07:06 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGEMF View Post
Effective September 15

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Dr. Dan Ross, Executive Director of the Ohio High School Athletic Association since 2004, announced his resignation, effective September 15. The OHSAA Board of Directors accepted Dr. Ross’ resignation letter Thursday at its regularly-scheduled January meeting.

Dr. Ross began his duties as the OHSAA’s ninth commissioner on Aug. 1, 2004. He has worked in education as a teacher, administrator and official since 1971, spanning a career of 48 years that is not yet finished.

“We would like to thank Dr. Ross for all that he has done for the OHSAA and our member schools,” said Paul Powers, president of the OHSAA Board of Directors and athletic administrator at Aurora High School in northeast Ohio. “Dan has done so many great things for high school sports in Ohio and has touched everyone associated with the OHSAA in such a positive way.”

Making ‘education-based athletics’ the pillar of his 14 years at the OHSAA, Dr. Ross plans to continue his passion for education and school sports in other areas. The OHSAA Board of Directors will begin implementing a succession plan and assemble a search committee for the OHSAA’s next executive director.

“I have been so blessed to serve our member schools in this capacity for 14 years,” Dr. Ross said. “I don’t plan to retire from my work of promoting all the positive things that school sports can do for our kids, schools and communities. We’ll see what the future holds for me. It’s time for me to step aside and allow for new leadership of the OHSAA. I would like to thank our current and former staff members and board members who I have worked with during my time at the OHSAA.”

“Dr. Ross has been the perfect person to lead the OHSAA,” Powers said. “He is respected by so many groups, such as administrators, coaches, officials, leaders of the other professional educational associations, lawmakers, the media and his fellow executive directors at other state associations. The list goes on and on. Being the head of an organization that enforces rules and regulations and has to make decisions that are not often popular is difficult. But anyone who has ever come in contact with Dan will tell you that he has made them feel special and always followed the motto that is on the pin he often wears on his lapel that says ‘children first.’”

Under Dr. Ross’ leadership, the OHSAA has added girls and boys bowling, dual team wrestling and girls and boys lacrosse, while also adding additional divisions in girls soccer, girls golf, boys swimming and football. In addition, the OHSAA added events for seated athletes at the state track and field championships beginning in 2013.

In 2011 Dr. Ross began the groundwork for the Competitive Balance initiative in light of a potential split between public and private schools. The Competitive Balance plan was passed by a referendum vote of OHSAA member schools in 2014 and successfully implemented in 2016.

Dr. Ross has strengthened the OHSAA’s partnerships with other educational service organizations by forming advisory committees with the state school boards, superintendents, principals and athletic administrators associations. He saw the OHSAA expand and diversify its Board of Directors and district athletic boards by adding female, ethnic minority and 7th-8th grade representatives. A standard statewide coaches education program was also adopted, which is required for certification.

Since his arrival, the OHSAA has strengthened its brand and awareness by creating the OHSAA Circle of Champions, increasing statewide television coverage of state tournaments, creating the OHSAA Radio Network, upgrading the OHSAA website and adding the OHSAA Magazine.

Dr. Ross is a native of Portsmouth, Ohio, and graduated from Columbus St. Charles High School (1967). He holds degrees from Ohio Dominican University (bachelor’s, 1971), Xavier University (master’s, 1973) and Bowling Green State University (Ph. D., 1983). Among the many positions he held prior to joining the OHSAA was superintendent of the Patrick Henry Local Schools (1983-86), Pickerington Local Schools (1986-97) and Avon Lake City Schools (1997-04). He was also a registered OHSAA contest official for 20 years in the sports of baseball, basketball and volleyball. He and his wife, Kris, have four grown children and their spouses, and nine grandchildren.

http://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/arti...es-Resignation

Old 01-21-18, 08:15 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I have come to the realization that being OHSAA Director is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don"t jobs, Good luck to whoever takes the job.
Old 01-21-18, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Like any public job, more art form than science. Always the "mistakes" that are written in neon. You hope the next hire isn't crony and they build on what has been learned, in what is becoming a changing and more difficult constituency of struggling and well off with diminishing middle. A sports association cannot do anything about that but if they can adjust to keep programs working, they will be a benefit to Ohio communities.

I think as long as they find someone that can keep all involved in and educated on the needs of the diversity, you have a good educational system. If the looking out for ourselves types gain control, then alot will be lost.

Good luck to them in the hiring process.
Old 01-21-18, 09:56 AM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
The OHSSA is essentially powerless to make and enforce rules, since the organization itself is voluntary. All any school which is facing serious " sanctions" has to do is threaten to take the organization to court and the matter is either dropped, or the "sanctions" are reduced to a laughable fine. The organization depends on the ethics and good will of its members. However, we have seen several schools which have taken advantage of this powerlessness on the part of the organization and violated not only the spirit of the rules, but the rules themselves. There is nothing the OHSAA can do. They have no money for a complete investigation, nor the cash for a prolonged court fight. So, the dilemma remains. Everyone is aware of the schools that bend the rules; in some cases, they flaunt the fact. However, what can be done? Dan Ross and any commissioner can only do so much, so their organization has essentially become a quasi-party planner, setting up tournaments, ordering awards, and staging events. The real shame is the fact that some schools have totally eschewed honor for trophies and fair play for championships.
Old 01-21-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

as you say, it's a voluntary organization. The OHSAA is not "powerless," they can simply exclude, reform. Apparently these schools that "everyone" is aware "bend the rules" are not a serious enough problem or the bending itself is not a concern. But as an organization, they are not "powerless." Public opinion and peer pressure still counts if wielded. Even more powerful is reason.

A commissioner will be a team builder, not a hammer wielder. Any organization can only run successfully on trust. That's the kind of person they are looking for. Someone that can bring reason to those that push the line, without the hammer.

The flaws get talked about and that's how things are made better but given the shear size of things, all the schools and all the sports, there seem relatively few complaints.
Old 01-21-18, 01:34 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
I stand by what I wrote.
Old 01-21-18, 03:20 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
The OHSSA is essentially powerless to make and enforce rules, since the organization itself is voluntary. All any school which is facing serious " sanctions" has to do is threaten to take the organization to court and the matter is either dropped, or the "sanctions" are reduced to a laughable fine. The organization depends on the ethics and good will of its members. However, we have seen several schools which have taken advantage of this powerlessness on the part of the organization and violated not only the spirit of the rules, but the rules themselves. There is nothing the OHSAA can do. They have no money for a complete investigation, nor the cash for a prolonged court fight. So, the dilemma remains. Everyone is aware of the schools that bend the rules; in some cases, they flaunt the fact. However, what can be done? Dan Ross and any commissioner can only do so much, so their organization has essentially become a quasi-party planner, setting up tournaments, ordering awards, and staging events. The real shame is the fact that some schools have totally eschewed honor for trophies and fair play for championships.
What about when the OHSAA is wrong but understands that if it backs down all is lost for future cases in like? I personally watched the biggest witch hunt I've ever seen and the only recourse was not for the school but the individual to seek legal help. When this happened the school was put in a precarious situation. Once an injunction is granted, the school has no choice but to play the individual. On top of that, the only way, in this case, that the OHSAA did not come away with total egg on face was because the school board demanded settle. The OHSAA outspent a powerful district so the notion that they have no money is ridiculous.

As a direct result of the case I am talking about the OHSAA learned a valuable lesson and it affected their decision making down the road, namely on the age restrictions which were altered to avoid legal recourse.

My problem with the OHSAA is this.

1). No oversight. They do as they please. No one can understand who gets investigated or why as opposed to others. Many signs point to those close with the OHSAA using the organization to punish rivals. Which leads me to number 2). They are not consistent AT ALL in enforcing rules. Some can do as they please, others cannot.

With all of that said, and although I hold disdain for Mr. Ross, I wish him well. In today's world more than ever it is tough to lead, and although I disagreed with several of the organization's moves under his leadership I thank him for his service.
Old 01-21-18, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post

My problem with the OHSAA is this.

1). No oversight. They do as they please. No one can understand who gets investigated or why as opposed to others. Many signs point to those close with the OHSAA using the organization to punish rivals. Which leads me to number 2). They are not consistent AT ALL in enforcing rules. Some can do as they please, others cannot.

Not hard to understand, a member school has to bring a violation to the OHSAA; the OHSAA informs the school of the possible violation, the member school is supposed to investigate and send their report to the OHSAA. The OHSAA either accepts or determines if further investigation is needed. If further investigation is needed, and the school is found in violation, the member school pays for the OHSAA investigation.
All of this is found in the subcommittee's monthly OHSAA report on OHSAA violations.
They are consistent with enforcing violations brought to their attention by member schools, allegations by Yappi posters, not so much.
Old 01-21-18, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Anyone from Dover available to fill Ross' position ?
Old 01-21-18, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ross could be Col Klink. Next person could be worse.
Old 01-21-18, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
Dan Ross is a good man. We can disagree with him on matters of policy but his integrity and concern for the student-athletes of Ohio can never legitimately be questioned.
Indeed.

Dr Ross spent his formative years at -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...aratory_School ........high school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Dominican_University ......Bachelor's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_University .......Master's

From age 14 to 24 in Catholic education.

Let's go for a product of Public Education this time around. They produce some decent folks there, as well.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 01-21-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 06:32 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, that sure answers a lot doesn't it Privates/Catholics? LOL.
Old 01-21-18, 09:09 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Not hard to understand, a member school has to bring a violation to the OHSAA; the OHSAA informs the school of the possible violation, the member school is supposed to investigate and send their report to the OHSAA. The OHSAA either accepts or determines if further investigation is needed. If further investigation is needed, and the school is found in violation, the member school pays for the OHSAA investigation.
All of this is found in the subcommittee's monthly OHSAA report on OHSAA violations.
They are consistent with enforcing violations brought to their attention by member schools, allegations by Yappi posters, not so much.
And some members complaints which are extremely substantiated fall on def ears. Some can break every rule and others get slapped for the most minor of things. Consistency is lacking.
Old 01-21-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
And some members complaints which are extremely substantiated fall on def ears. Some can break every rule and others get slapped for the most minor of things. Consistency is lacking.

Old 01-22-18, 03:15 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
better off before or after he was in charge is the question???????
Old 01-22-18, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

It's such a changing environment I think the question might be, how well did they keep up? As seen in these threads, I don't think they succeeded in being viewed as unbiased. But I would hope all would acknowledge it's easy to have their own opinion colored if they know a little fact, like the guy's educational background.

We do know, don't we, researched again and again the effects, correlation if not causation of economics on sports success and though many of them won't acknowledge it, preferring to believe it is some sort of "educational philosophy" that makes them more successful, a pick and choose enrollment conjures up an artificially high monetary and social economic.

I think the next Director would do well to encourage humbleness from the victors. All in all, I think they did well "keeping up" with the dynamic as those economies moved away from certain areas into economic enclaves. We still have small towns winning. We still have big cities winning. We now have burbs winning.

OHSAA can't solve the economics in the city core and severely hit rural areas. But they can hope to galvanize the "haves" to help the struggling stay in the game. This is what I would hope the new Director will see as a needed focus. In this, OHSAA will continue to stand for and represent "good sportsmanship."
Old 01-22-18, 11:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
It's such a changing environment I think the question might be, how well did they keep up? As seen in these threads, I don't think they succeeded in being viewed as unbiased. But I would hope all would acknowledge it's easy to have their own opinion colored if they know a little fact, like the guy's educational background.

This^ is silly.

First of all, as I believe would be true for most others, I had no thought of his educational background before I made that post. I had formed an opinion of the man's biases based upon my view of his service and always thought it kind of odd with him having had a public school career. It was the final paragraph of the original post that actually kind of squared things for me. I never knew that he had been Catholic educated at least from 14 to 24 before that reading. Don't recall ever considering where the man was educated.

Secondly, what is going to color an opinion more - some trivia, or 10+ years of education ?

Always you reaching for the unique angle......
Old 01-22-18, 11:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
Which is far fewer years than he spent teaching and administering in public schools.
What a shame that Sister Mary-Margaret couldn't fully win him over, but I guess he eventually found a way to put his heart before making bank.

Many ways to Serve ?

I wonder if he went to parochial schools K-8 ?
Old 01-23-18, 12:40 AM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Great man who happened to look away
Old 01-23-18, 09:45 AM
Varsity

thedudeabides is on a distinguished road
You can talk about him, but I know him. He always tried to put the kids first. Very difficult job for sure, but he always tried to work for kids.
Old 01-23-18, 11:31 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
I thought Dan Ross died back in 2006.......He was a great TE and held a few Super Bowl records for awhile......anyway, good for him if he's not dead and stepping away from the OHSAA........long live #89!
Old 01-23-18, 11:34 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
A thankless job, to be sure. He's done well, much better than the previous commish. I think they should look outside and not promote one uf the assistants.