Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-16-18, 01:08 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
bam!...the fed sucks!
Where would Mck play without the Fed?

What about the other sports?
Old 01-16-18, 01:21 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Where would Mck play without the Fed?

What about the other sports?
Independent just like the Tigers, although I guarantee if mck would ever leave the fed it would be to join a league with Massillon and anyone else who wanted to join.
As for the other sports, since joining the fed it hasn’t helped at all in the “club” sports if you look at the standings mck is lucky to have 2 or 3 wins in boys or girls sports.
At this point I truly don’t understand why mck is still in that league, it doesn’t help attendance, it hasn’t made them better in any sports and most mck fans I talk to don’t want to be in it.
Old 01-16-18, 03:46 PM
Bulldogs, Buckeyes & Browns!

DaveDawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveDawg
Crimson and Black, I don't know if I should thank you or just hug the s%it of you for starting this post.

After my initial response I had to get more information.
Putting together this response was fun!
(My wish is that you enjoy this post as much as I did in researching it)

First, I wanted to see who really knew about the red carpet.
I knew it was back in use and I wanted to see who actually pays attention being McKinley fan.
A few of the photos/video I am about to share I took myself on top of Benson Stadium vs. Massillon,
and no called me out on that. I am shocked.

As for the question as to when McKinley moved from the north stands to the south stands,
I contacted Thom McDaniels and he had a few things to share about that point in time.
I will post that exchange in a few paragraphs with his permission.

But first, I was asked in a PM why did McKinley only use (what outsiders to Canton would consider) the visitor side of the stadium as the 'home' side?

Since the stadium opened, McKinley called the north stands of the stadium home in part because of where the locker room was located and because during that era, both teams shared one sideline.
Yes, both.

There was no high school stadium in Ohio with the capacity of Fawcett Stadium
in 1938 and 1939 and with the size that big,
I can imagine by choosing a side to call home with Lehman,
it didn't matter back then.
If someone has more information on that, I'd love to know it.

The press box held the time keeping official and a small amount of observers. No one else in Ohio had such a game day vantage point at this time.

Then in 1981, seating of the north stands expanded which took
away the press box on that side of the field.
(OhioPup mentioned this earlier in this thread).

The entire season under Head Coach Terry Forbes was played with the north stands as the home side.
(I remember because we sat in the warm sun that
'Dog Day Afternoon' to finish 10-0 for the first time
since 1956 after a 9-6 win over the Tigers.

Enter Thom McDaniels as Head Coach in 1982 after being an assistant under Forbes..

I asked Thom if he recalled who was instrumental of the Bulldogs switching sides for being the home team, his response...

"That would be me. Here is the reason. The game clock was operated from the small press box on the North side of the field which meant the chains were on the South sideline opposite the clock operator. When they extended the North side minus that pressbox, the clock operator moved to the South side. That meant the chains were on our side, which we hated. Typically the chains are on the visitor sideline, so we had the inconvenience of the chains both home and away. Consequently we moved the team to the South side so we could manage the game better. Double check the year we moved. I did not think it was in '82.

Double checked I did.
I went looking for photos, some here and there was 1982 with McKinley on the north and south sidelines in the same season and I went back to Thom with that info...

Okay, but remember this. When we played GlenOak back then, we rotated as home and visitor and switched sidelines accordingly. If the game you saw (pictures) was against GO, that might have been why we were on the South side. A better source for the date/year might be the year they extended the North side. I feel like it was more mid 80s than 82 for some reason. You are welcome to use my explanation as long as you understand it. It angered people. I had to explain that decision at Booster Club mtg. I'd do it again tomorrow. It was best for my coaches & team.

So we both have memory issues and I responded to back...
Maybe the switch happened in mid-season for all the reasons you explained / there is only so much you could take after the expansion of north stands and
I’m not implying anything derogatory.

And I enjoyed how we closed the topic, he said

Oh, I know that. No offense taken. I can't trust my memory for things that far in the past. I just thought I was the HC for a few years before we changed sidelines.

Because of the amount pictures and space
I will continue in the next response...
Old 01-16-18, 03:46 PM

Here are photos to go with the how 1982's home side of the field went with descriptions...

All the photos and more history can be found on the Charlie Bowersox Virtual Hall of Fame site at http://letsgopups.com/virtualhof/ or on www.CantonMcKinley.com

Cornell Cindea's son is still working the clock for McKinley. Between the two a Cindea have been at this longer than I have been alive.

In closing this up I thank Thom McDaniels for his help and it's something that I will transfer over the our website
www.CantonMcKinley.com

I will end again with the post a few days ago...

Money is what drives the success of continuing the traditions and for new ideas for the changing times. If you don't like how something is or isn't done, participate. There is a chance someone forgot or hasn't thought of what you did and the sharing of ideas is important.

Come get involved and get your hands dirty with us.

At McKinley, at Massillon, at any school anywhere.

Play your part by playing along by being there in person or providing donations.

Last edited by DaveDawg; 01-16-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 03:56 PM

There is no viable league outside the Federal League. McKinley is cemented in it.

The fans that say they hate the league are stuck in the past.
Fans outside of the league that make fun of league most likely are just sticking toothpicks under your thumbnail to get a reaction.

Relax.

It will change eventually, change is inevitable.
Old 01-16-18, 05:12 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Cool info Dave. Nice Work. I was at the Massillon McKinley game and didn’t even see them roll out the carpet.
Old 01-16-18, 05:37 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Very cook Dave and obviously took a s**t-load of work. For the record, I want it known that through a friend of mine it was ME that called it out on here that the carpet was used this year. That rum dum Firewatch was wrong like normal. LOLOL.
Old 01-16-18, 05:59 PM

Thank you.
Old 01-16-18, 06:17 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Great read Dave.
Old 01-16-18, 06:24 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDawg View Post
There is no viable league outside the Federal League. McKinley is cemented in it.

Fans outside of the league that make fun of league most likely are just sticking toothpicks under your thumbnail to get a reaction.

Relax.

So why are the mck fans that hate the league stuck in the past ? What has it done for them in the present, including the records of ALL sports boys and girls so far this season and what is the league doing for them in the future ?
Old 01-16-18, 06:26 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
bam!...the fed sucks!
Because you can't dominate it? May be time to put you out to pasture.
Old 01-16-18, 06:47 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Relax.

Pretty well stated
Old 01-16-18, 11:34 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
What a fantastic thread. Thanks DD, great history. I grew up in the Akron area, but remember my Dad listening to Jim Muzzy, every night at supper time and we’d listen to games out of Canton on Friday night, if we weren’t at the Rubber Bowl. Thanks for the memories, of NE Ohio football at it’s peak.
Old 01-17-18, 01:16 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Dave. I remember all those games from '82 as well as the red carpet. For some reason I remember my mom loved the red carpet. Some great memories of games at Fawcett, for sure.

Teams on the same side of the field may come from soccer, where it is standard practice for teams to be on the same side of the field. Would a football fan ever admit to that?!
Old 01-17-18, 02:52 AM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great posts Dave, you are always the epitome of the true McKinley fan. It makes me cherish even more the rivalry every time I see posts of this magnitude. There is a great chronicle of football in all of it's glory between these 2 teams on video and in images. I truly believe there is no greater rivalry in all of football, at any level. As always, thx Dave you're a great poster and a true fan of H.S. football.
Old 01-17-18, 03:36 AM

Let me ask a question directed at Tiger fans...

It used to be that there was one of the biggest flags I’d ever seen flying high above downtown Massillon. Bright orange, Obie on it with ‘Massillon Ohio, City of Champions’.
This to me whenever I’d go into Massillon was like knowing you were in enemy territory and it symbolized to me as a McKinley fan a form of jealousy.
Canton couldn’t fly a flag like this giant orange flag as if I was boarding a enemy pirate ship knowing there was a plank you’d be expected to be pushed off, because we were a multiple school city.

When did the flag go up (year) and then come down (year).
I remember it in the in the 70’s until the early 80’s flying high above and one day, gone.
To me a part of Massillon’s soul was lost with that giant nuisance. LOL
Why was it never replaced.
It really was something unique that I’ve never seen before or since.
Shame really that it never got replaced.
Old 01-17-18, 09:21 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
I remember that flag as a kid in the 70's. Not sure what ever happened to it. It may have went away when First National Bank changed hands. That was about the same time period.

I am still pissed this place left.
Old 01-17-18, 10:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
What a fantastic thread. Thanks DD, great history. I grew up in the Akron area, but remember my Dad listening to Jim Muzzy, every night at supper time and we’d listen to games out of Canton on Friday night, if we weren’t at the Rubber Bowl. Thanks for the memories, of NE Ohio football at it’s peak.
Great memory. Add Hymie Williams and our own Bill Caples to the list with Jim Muzzy and you have perhaps the three biggest homers in the history of radio broadcasting. It was hilarious listening to these guys. Will never be the same. Miss them all.
Old 01-17-18, 03:54 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Jim Johnson would be on that list. Currently Palmisano would be on the list although the first 4 were great listens, JoePal isn't.
Old 01-17-18, 04:49 PM
All World

Jim Johnson was a homer but nowhere near the level of the first aforementioned. No clue about the other guy. Don't listen to any of them.
Old 01-18-18, 01:11 AM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool McKinley guy.

Quote:
bam!...the fed sucks!
And McK. is IN the Fed. I respect Massillon and McKinley. One of the first games I remember seeing when I was a small kid of the two schools was actually shown on Cleve. TV 5. I was about 8 or 9.
Old 01-18-18, 09:38 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry 67 View Post
And McK. is IN the Fed. I respect Massillon and McKinley. One of the first games I remember seeing when I was a small kid of the two schools was actually shown on Cleve. TV 5. I was about 8 or 9.
1955 Mass @ McK On Cleveland TV live from Fawcett Stadium
1964 McK @ Mass On Cleveland TV live from Tiger Stadium

:>---

SALT
Old 01-18-18, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
DD: Excellent work!

SALT
Old 01-18-18, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

Perry 67 is on a distinguished road
Cool Well I was close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
1955 Mass @ McK On Cleveland TV live from Fawcett Stadium
1964 McK @ Mass On Cleveland TV live from Tiger Stadium

SALT
Well I was close. Off by a couple years. Good old days.
Old 01-18-18, 11:29 AM
Moderated User

AAUHoopsOnly is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Here are photos to go with the how 1982's home side of the field went with descriptions...

All the photos and more history can be found on the Charlie Bowersox Virtual Hall of Fame site at http://letsgopups.com/virtualhof/ or on www.CantonMcKinley.com

Cornell Cindea's son is still working the clock for McKinley. Between the two a Cindea have been at this longer than I have been alive.

In closing this up I thank Thom McDaniels for his help and it's something that I will transfer over the our website
www.CantonMcKinley.com

I will end again with the post a few days ago...

Money is what drives the success of continuing the traditions and for new ideas for the changing times. If you don't like how something is or isn't done, participate. There is a chance someone forgot or hasn't thought of what you did and the sharing of ideas is important.

Come get involved and get your hands dirty with us.

At McKinley, at Massillon, at any school anywhere.

Play your part by playing along by being there in person or providing donations.
Thanks for sharing...pretty cool for the old timers.
Old 01-18-18, 08:59 PM
Varsity

tiger1 is on a distinguished road
Very well done. I can remember a lot of great games at the old stadium. I think the 65 game was also televised. Someone was trying to recover some of these old game films from the television station, but they were had long since been destroyed. The crowds aren't what they use to be but still a great rivalry. That game use to sell out no matter what the records.
Old 01-18-18, 09:01 PM
Varsity

tiger1 is on a distinguished road
Very well done. I can remember a lot of great games at the old stadium. I think the 65 game was also televised. Someone was trying to recover some of these old game films from the television station, but they had long since been destroyed. The crowds aren't what they use to be but still a great rivalry. That game use to sell out no matter what the records.
Old 01-20-18, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember the siren after TD's,but i also remember the siren when the bulldogs came out on the field.

I know it because i was there and saw(heard) the siren as the team came out on the field.
Old 01-20-18, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
I luv the TigerTown input on this thread...good stuff guys.
Old 01-20-18, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Great memory. Add Hymie Williams and our own Bill Caples to the list with Jim Muzzy and you have perhaps the three biggest homers in the history of radio broadcasting. It was hilarious listening to these guys. Will never be the same. Miss them all.
In Akron we had Bob Wiley. You’d be listening on the radio and he’d start screaming, “How about that !” , over and over. You didn’t know if somebody stole the football, attacked the refs, or lit the gym on fire. He’d get so rabid, he just forgot he was doing radio. Crazy.