Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-16-17, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Some stats, courtesy of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram:

Solon had only seven first downs and 194 total yards. The Comets passed for 120 and ran for 74. I don't have the numbers right in front of me but I believe that Wilks had seven carries for 54 yards.

Elyria's offense generated just 154 yards. Solon shut down the Pioneer ground game to the tune of minus-25 yards, mostly through QB sacks.

Though Solon's offensive numbers weren't good, I must point out that the Comets didn't spend much time on offense. Because of the TDs on defense and special teams, the Comets kept kicking the ball back to Elyria's offense. Solon didn't have a whole lot of possessions.
Old 09-22-17, 01:06 PM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Must win for the comets
Old 09-22-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Stang View Post
Must win for the comets

Beating Strongsville is an absolute must for Solon. Euclid and Mentor are waiting for the Comets, and they'll be a lot tougher than the Mustangs.
Old 09-22-17, 03:08 PM
All Yappi

JV and freshman teams remain unbeaten. Frosh have already knocked off Strongsville this week to improve to 5-0.
Old 09-23-17, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

Solon improved to 4-1 last night with a 28-14 win over Strongsville. The Comets were keyed by Thomas' Wilks' standout performance at tailback. Wilks tore through the Mustang defense for well over 200 yards and scored three of Solon's four touchdowns. The Comets beat Strongsville for the ninth straight year, and for the 13th in the last 14.

The big story last night was the fact that Solon has finally decided upon senior J.T. Caver as the starting quarterback. The Comets had been rotating two (and, as of last week, three) QBs all season, with Joe Cartellone getting the most playing time. Caver had staked a claim to the QB job with a fine performance at Twinsburg in Week 2 but instead, he played sparingly in weeks 3 and 4 while the offense scuffled.

Wilks gave Solon an early lead with a four-yard TD run. He had set up the score by rambling 40 yards with a fake punt.

Late in the first half, Solon freshman QB Patrick McQuaide threw a pick in Solon territory that Strongsville converted into the tying TD.

Wilks gave Solon a 14-7 halftime lead by exploding for a 45-yard TD run with about a minute left in the second period.

After a scoreless third period, Strongsville mounted a drive and scored the TD that tied it at 14-14.

But Wilks answered by getting around the outside on a sweep and outracing the defense for an 85-yard TD run.

Moments later, Comet LB Zyon Mowry added the coup de grace with a 22-yard pick six.

Having Caver at QB was the difference. He runs the offense with a swagger that has been sorely lacking so far this year. He adds something to the running game, which keeps opponents from keying too heavily on Wilks. Solon didn't throw a lot last night, and didn't hit anything deep downfield. The Comets just passed to move the chains. J.T. did miss on a couple of long balls. I also thought that the Comets could have exploited the middle zones if they'd chosen. But the fact that Solon did move the chains, and gained over 300 yards, is a good accomplishment for one game. Hopefully, the complete offensive performance is just a week or two away.

Because Caver also plays safety, Solon gave young McQuaide a few series at QB. Apparently, he is now the #2 QB. He shows athleticism and did a few good things, but he made some big mistakes that might have cost Solon the game if things had played out differently. The pick that he threw set Strongsville up for the tying TD deep in Solon territory. He also let a shotgun snap get past him, which Strongsville again recovered deep in Solon territory. Thanks to some stellar defense and some strict officiating, the Comets turned the Mustangs away. Three penalties and a couple of sacks turned a first-and-goal from the three into a fourth-and-goal from the 33. McQuaid is the QB of the future and he will fill an important role spelling Caver, but the coaches need to settle him down and smooth out the rough edges.

Defense was pretty good last night; not super. At times, the Mustangs hurt Solon with reverses and other misdirection plays. And, at times, Strongsville QB Jony Major proved a slippery eel to tackle. The Comets sacked him several times, but he also escaped for big yardage at other times.

Injuries seem to be mounting, especially on defense. No word on when, or if, DE David Marbury will return. Losing him was, and is, a huge blow that is testing the depth of this team.

Solon hosts Brunswick next Thursday.

Go Comets!!!
Old 09-24-17, 02:27 PM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Big congratulations to Jim McQuaide his 200th career win as the head coach at Solon. As a lot of people are aware, I've been a vocal critic of his as I've maintained for awhile now that I believe the program is capable of more - IMO the standard for success or failure on the year needs to be regional finals appearance - however in any event this accomplishment is a remarkable achievement of longevity. There are many programs throughout the state that would envy the hallmark of stability that McQuaid and the Solon Football program have achieved. My congratulations, and hope for a successful second half of the year for all of the players and coaching staff involved.
Old 09-29-17, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

Solon improved to 5-1 with last night's 28-14 victory over Brunswick at Stewart Field. The Comets remain undefeated in Greater Cleveland Conference play, at 3-0. The Blue Devils fell to 3-3 overall, 1-2 in the GCC.

Solon scored all 28 points in the first half and did so despite the absence of standout WR Trevon Raphael, who remained on the sidelines with an apparent injury. The Comets did most of their damage through the air. RB Thomas Wilks, who began play last night with nearly 800 yards rushing, didn't get as many carries as usual, and didn't break any long runs. It seemed as if Solon had made it a point to work on its passing game.

Brunswick scored first. The Devils had the ball near midfield in the middle of the first quarter when their tailback took a handoff and was swallowed up by Solon's defense. Somehow, no one wrapped the ballcarrier up, and he re-emerged from the pack and scored from 45 yards out.

The Comets tied the score on their next possession. Wilks took a swing pass and rambled down the sideline for about 60 yards. A Brunswick defender brought Wilks down inside the 5 yard line and Thomas fumbled into the end zone. But WR Sammy Bubonics recovered the loose ball for a Comet TD.

Solon's offense got into a good rhythm in the second quarter, playing perhaps its best ball of the season. The Comets mounted a drive early in the second that Wilks capped with a one-yard TD run. On Solon's next possession, freshman QB Patrick McQuaide found WR Andrew Mason open and Mason exploded down the sideline for an 80-yard score. Moments later, senior QB J.T. Caver threw deep for Bubonics, who hauled the pass and scored on a 68-yard play.

Caver started at QB and really looked good. McQuaide spelled him on a couple of drives and also played well. No mistakes. Good poise. Athleticism and a strong arm.

McQuaide took over at QB in the second half. Once again, he looked pretty solid and moved the chains some. But Solon never really threatened to score. It appeared that the whole second half was all about getting Patrick some experience. Solon didn't play with much urgency, and didn't seem interested in snapping the ball quickly and getting more points.

The Comet defense held Brunswick for most of the second half, until yielding a late TD. Once again, the D was pretty good; not super. Nate Leskovec led the charge, as usual, with help from DE Jack Miller, LB Zyon Mowry and Caver, Taj Ward and Ryan McCurry in the secondary. DE David Marbury and MLB Michael Laubscher are missed, but the D is still pretty solid.

Soph Grant McCurry recovered from his preseason injury and made his first varsity start as the slot receiver. He looked good.

Things get much tougher for Solon from here on out. The Comets visit a very strong Euclid team next Friday and return home a week later to face GCC preseason favorite Mentor.

Go Comets!!!
Old 09-29-17, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
How long are Marbury and Laubscher out for? I know that Marbury went down really early in the season.

Did Cartellone play at all last night? I know that he started or at least played in the first four games, but I'm wondering if Pat McQuaide and JT Caver are gonna be splitting time at QB the rest of the way.
Old 09-30-17, 08:09 AM
Freshman

'00WeAreSC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
How long are Marbury and Laubscher out for? I know that Marbury went down really early in the season.

Did Cartellone play at all last night? I know that he started or at least played in the first four games, but I'm wondering if Pat McQuaide and JT Caver are gonna be splitting time at QB the rest of the way.
Word on the street is Laubscher will be back next week and Marbury possibly week 9 or 10. . .
Cartellone got the last minute or two of the 4th.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-17, 08:08 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Solon at Euclid this week. What are the thoughts from all of the Solon posters? What kind of game do you expect? Will it be a good close game? if there was a line for this game, what would it be? Low or high scoring? I think this is my game to go to this week, but wanted peoples opinions on the game before I decide where to go this Friday. Thanks for any input and good feedback.
Old 10-01-17, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Solon at Euclid this week. What are the thoughts from all of the Solon posters? What kind of game do you expect? Will it be a good close game? if there was a line for this game, what would it be? Low or high scoring? I think this is my game to go to this week, but wanted peoples opinions on the game before I decide where to go this Friday. Thanks for any input and good feedback.
It should be a close, competitive game. And you have a chance to be at the first game at Euclid's new stadium. I would like to think it will be a really great high school atmosphere with that on the line. Normally, Euclid's home crowd is pretty small for a DI school.
Old 10-01-17, 06:56 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
It should be a close, competitive game. And you have a chance to be at the first game at Euclid's new stadium. I would like to think it will be a really great high school atmosphere with that on the line. Normally, Euclid's home crowd is pretty small for a DI school.
Thanks for the feedback Cardzfan. I am looking forward to the new stadium. It looks sweet on-line. Hope it's a good game. I already bought my ticket for the Euclid at Mentor game. These are 3 big weeks in a row for the GCC big 3. But more importantly for the Harbin points.
Old 10-02-17, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by '00WeAreSC View Post
Word on the street is Laubscher will be back next week and Marbury possibly week 9 or 10. . .
Cartellone got the last minute or two of the 4th.

What's the situation with Trevon Raphael?
Old 10-02-17, 09:58 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
What's the situation with Trevon Raphael?
Not sure, heard back spasms or something like that. Unconfirmed, but I don't believe it's anything serious that will limit him for Euclid.

Old 10-02-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I saw Euclid play St. Ignatius a few weeks ago. The Panthers looked good. They outplayed the Wildcats for one half. Euclid has big, physical lines on both sides of the ball, a tough RB and fast receivers.

I think it will be a close game. I worry about our O-line against Euclid's D-line, but I believe that if the Comets mix things up and execute, they can find holes in Euclid's defense. The Panthers are giving up over 20 points per game, so they're not a shutdown defense.

I do think that J.T. Caver needs to play as much as possible at QB. Solon will need its best people giving their maximum. If Patrick plays more that about 20 percent of Solon's offensive snaps, the Comets are in trouble. I'm all about giving him some experience but this is a game Solon must win. The Comets play Euclid this week, Mentor the next. They need to win both to make the playoffs and guarantee a spot in the Region 1 playoffs.
Old 10-02-17, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by '00WeAreSC View Post
Not sure, heard back spasms or something like that. Unconfirmed, but I don't believe it's anything serious that will limit him for Euclid.

Good. We've got depth and talent at WR but no one else has Trevon's skill set.
Old 10-07-17, 08:55 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Angry

Oh Boy
Old 10-07-17, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
If perry beat mckinley solon is out.
Old 10-07-17, 11:50 AM
All District

Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Again the Solon coaching staff was not able to win a big game and this has been a trend for the last couple years and with Mentor up next. #neednewcoachingstaff
Old 10-07-17, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
a couple of questions

Why didn't Solon run it in at the inch line at the end of the first half? Why didn't they go for the first down at the end of the game instead of throwing into the endzone? Was it fourth and goal?
Old 10-07-17, 02:22 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Why didn't Solon run it in at the inch line at the end of the first half? Why didn't they go for the first down at the end of the game instead of throwing into the endzone? Was it fourth and goal?
Cause we picked the wrong guy to run the offense. Richardson is inept at play calling and offensive design. We don't have a single play from under center?? Even on the goal line?? Bubble screens on 3rd and long? Keep forcing the ball to certain players, even when he dropped 5 or 6 easy passes? It's like he forces the plays that don't work and abandons the plays that do. Plus, the constant personell adjustments. Leave your senior playmakers in the game. Especially big games. Last year against Iggy, if you merely switched the head coach and O.C. on the sidelines, we would have HANDLED them. Period. As someone stated in this thread, ANYONE can go 7-3 in Solon. . .Come on, this dude doesn't get it. The guy we shoulda picked for O.C. quit and went to Hudson. Have a look at what they're doing over there. . .

Old 10-07-17, 02:53 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Solon coaching staff is cluelesd.
Old 10-07-17, 05:11 PM
Freshman

Nap is on a distinguished road
The only time the Solon offense under McQuaid was any good was when we had Thom McDaniels as a special offensive assistant. Yes, that is the same legendary High School coach and father of Josh. McQuaid’s play calling as well as his game book is horrendous. When was the last time Solon ran a counter? Lets keep trying to run the same play even though it gets stopped every time. McQuaid’s philosophy is that I am going to run the play unitl it works, however it never does. Then the plays that do work, McQuaid never goes back to them.

McQuaid has never been able to adapt his system to the talent that we have. Its always trying to fit a round peg into a square hole instead of adapting the square hole and make it round. For instance, I remember when we had Cory Crenshaw on the team who was the state record holder in the 100 meters and was 5’9” or 5’10” and weighed at most 175 dripping weight. Solon tried to run the poor kid up the middle. We should have been creative on offense and worked at getting him in open space where no one would have been able to touch him, utilizing screens, putting him at the flanker position and etc. Instead, we tried to run the kid between the tackles, where he would get taken down rather easily. Frankly, I never really understood it and in my opinion we wasted his talent.

Additionally, he wastes more timeouts in critical games that I have ever seen. Metacomet observed during the Stow lost this year that “The Comets were forced to call several timeouts just to get organized.” That is par for the course for McQuaid. That reminds me of the 2009 playoff lost to Glenville 28 to 27. We wasted and burnt two timeouts in the second half almost back to back because the right personnel was not on the field when we were on offense.

In that game, Solon was on offense when the third quarter ended. Coming out of the break between quarters, we had to burn a second timeout because McQuaid did not have the right personnel on the field to start the fourth quarter. We lost to Glenville when our kicker missed a 50 yard field goal with about seven seconds left when the attempt went wide left by about 2 feet. Prior to the kick, we had to take a delay of game penalty which pushed us back 5 yards. If the McQuaid did not have to waste that second time out, Solon would definitely have been closer and the field goal might have been good. That second timeout that we wasted was just ludicrous and if I was the AD, I would have fired McQuaid right on the spot.

McQuaid’s offense is so predictable, it is appalling. I sit with several guys in the stands and we can inevitable predict 70% of the play calls. If we can do that from the stands without the benefit of scouting and watching film, what can opposing teams do?

As you can see, I have no love for McQuaid. I know he has 200 victories, but what has he actually won? Its easy with the talent that has to when 7 to 9 games every year, and then get knocked out early in the playoffs like he has since 2011. He was knocked out in the first round in 2013, 55 – 7 and 2014, 23 – 10, in the second round 2011, 42-40, 2015, 24 - 15 and 2016, 31 - 17. He did not make the playoffs in 2012.
Old 10-07-17, 05:52 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Rotsky had his moments too

QB gets hurt and gets replaced with the back up who also happens to be an elusive and dangerous receiver.No timing with his passing but they kept chucking it down field.Went away from the running game where #3 was getting some nice yards.Gotta keep em honest but up 27-0 you have to run some clock and keep playing.Euclid goes to sleep every week in the second half.Will Rotsky ever get his punt and kicking team to block the d-line? Terrible week after week.Anyone notice when the kid from Euclid intercepted to put the game away,he was running around with no clue its not a safety if your already in the endzoneSolon player leveled him from behind after this kid couldn't decide what to do.Run it out or get down.Who teaches the fundementals to these kids? He could have coughed it up and Solon recovers for a miracle win.Would not have surprised me.
Old 10-08-17, 07:30 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Euclid will do fine in the regular season but their sloppy play, poor kicking and lack of fundamentals will be their downfall. Watching Rotsky yell and scream at damn near every player and coach is getting old. The guy is a jerk. Solon had no resson falling behind 27 - 0. The play from the 1 at the end of the half was a head shaker. They had a tough RB that could have taken a sweep or an option in from that distance. I will say that #22 on Solon needs to worry less about talking crap and being a punk and more about making plays to help his team. He dropped a wide open crossing play in the fourth that had 6pts written all over it. Euclid tried like hell to give Solon the game. Solon had no answer for Euclid when the starting QB was in and although the backup threw a perfect fade for a TD - he missed some wide open guys. Solon had everything fall their way to pull off a huge road win but really beat themselves by falling behind so much early and constantly shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 10-09-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
I don't think Solon has converted a third-and-one or fourth-and-one by running the ball all season. The offensive line just doesn't fire out and block. That, and the fact that our offense is spread out in a shotgun even in short-yardage situations.
Old 10-09-17, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Sorry I haven't posted sooner. I worked all weekend. I must also make a confession. Friday night, I did something I haven't done since the early '90s. I walked out of a Solon football game early. I've sat through blizzards and blowouts and stayed 'til the end. But Friday, I left just as Grant McCurry scored the first Comet TD. It's not that I was disgusted, though I was disappointed in Solon's play. I left mostly because I wanted to catch the end of the Indians' game.

I'm glad that Solon came back. I wish I could have seen how it happened. From what I did see, the Comets couldn't run the ball at all. Receivers were open but they dropped just about every thing J.T. Caver threw at them. Defense had some big moments; the Comets made some key stops. But every time Euclid's tailback ran through the middle of the line, he tore right through Solon's defense. Euclid's O-line was dominating Solon's DTs and MLB.
Old 10-12-17, 09:03 AM
All District

Solon has to beat Mentor or this season again would be a let down and really do to the COACHES and some injuries.
Old 10-12-17, 11:01 AM
All Ohio

Enigma77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Solon coaching staff is cluelesd.
You don't even know how to spell clueless, loser.
Old 10-13-17, 09:18 PM
All District

What a terrible loss this coaching staff doesnt know how to use timeouts and we get 4 Ints and still give up 38 points def cord needs to be let go and also maybe go under center in big situations if we dont make the playoffs new coaching staff changes are a must