Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-18-17, 08:43 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
On to week 14

What a night of football , last second wins incredible go either way games and the weather cooperated well today as you al know is a disaster, if we had games tonight ? Much different dynamic , glad all the games were played last night .

Don't have all the facts on every game but a few first thoughts got some right some very wrong, 7-5 against Louie's numbers not as well as I have done but it gets a lot harder obviously as the teams are more evenly matched .

Region 12 - Trotty Invitational lived up to it's name , game was more closely contested for almost 3 quarters may be less , but Trotty has too much for folks at the D-3 level .

Region 11 - DEAD WRONG here, thought Hartley would be pushed for a while , but they never got out of the mud offensively did they? I mean they did throw 14 passes but about half or so were late and half of those were just desperate heaves ? TV run blitzed incessantly I heard and Hartley didn't adjust , used to just bullying most folks. Got stood up to and failed to respond and played a sloppy penalty filled mess of a game and TV played almost completely clean . Overestimated Hartley thought they were better coached than that egg layer suggests and totally underestimated TV who I knew was a very good program but thought they were overmatched a bit here, THEY WEREN'T they lost some tough ones in the past at this stage so good for them getting over that hump , I'll be rooting for them .

Region 10

All TCC region once again , I covered the line which was faulty but got the margin pretty wrong , sometimes the score exceeds the disparity between teams as once a ball gets rolling downhill it can be tough to stop , I see TCC'S reward being same as last year , taking a beating at the hands of Trotty again .

Region 9

thought Canfield could get the W here and they certainly were right there, one of a small handful of games in D-1 through D-3 that could have gone the other way , including Hartley - TV above.

SVSM - TV rematch ? TV can hang and win I believe, , both teams had wars on their hands so no advantage there, I see a really tight ballgame , but lets not pull any punches here these teams are playing for second place and have been since week 11 . Someone may push Trotty for a while but lets not pretend that any team in D-3 can play with them for the full 48 .

Region 8

Thriller in Cincy , WOW , LaSalle the three time defending champ got beat by a Winton Woods team that I have been told really utilizes the open enrollment aspect ? Most publics do not have kids from other communities commuting to a public school, really none in Central Ohio , some kids transfer and move but aren't living in another town coming to their neighbor school , may be WW has this dynamic ? I don'[t know for sure but have bene told that is the case . Anyway 3 time defending champ , 17 straight play-off wins and they get ousted on a last second FG gave up a 4th and 10 pass with a minute left that went for 32 yards ?? OUCH .

Region 7

Pretty much knew this was likely Massillon's to lose , no Catholics to deal with and Massilon took care of business after only wining by 5 over Boardman in round one. Had NA to cover the 17 and they lost by 18 Bad beat? Not really just a one point on the scoreboard but Massillon was clearly superior and probably should have won by more .

they will likely get rolled by Winton Woods by about 17 ?

Region 6

All Avon here . they were the favorite and also got pushed most in round one by St John's Jesuit shocker !!! Olmstead ran out gas and the clock did strike Mid night and they came thudding down to earth. Hoban only started playing publics in week 11 and they have beaten up all three of them , I expect them to beat Avon also but will be pushed .

Region 5

Speaking of Hobie , , I covered that spread , but that's about it , didn't see this train completely running over unbeaten Barberton . But Hobie is rolling as a program and has outclassed many a program and they keep rolling into the finals where they will likely play the Woods of Winton .

Region 4

Colerain train replaces the Wayne train as may be the best public D-1 South of the Columbus -Dixon line . All four teams left being Public is great for D-1 which ahs bene ruled by Catholics for the last 7 years and pretty much over the last 20 or so .

Colerain is white hot as I have said , and looks primed to get that elusive title they have bene good enough to contend for but came up short a few times in . ST X of course despite being dominated from scrimmage yardage wise came back and tied it , I am sure causing sweat to appear on Colerain's collective upper lip. But they rightfully kept racking up yards and got the wining TD. Colerain THE FAVORITE NOW IN D-1? I believe they are .

Region 3

PC - PN , The very incestuous rivalry, kids are al over each others house for breakfast some live right next to each other but go to different schools ? OKie Dokey , I expect to see a handful of PC kids to may go over to North or up to North when they realize that there are 174 good players at Central or planning to go to Central and they don't want to just watch their slightly more talented classmates play for 4 years .

PC looks scary , big fast tough , they have it all really and no great ST Ed's team awaits, not Iggy in the finals with Chuck Kyle breaking them down like cardboard in a box factory . BUT they have the mighty Colerain awaiting and I think this may be a chore that is a bit too tough this year? I suggest the Tigers revisit their 'FAKE PUNT " package this week they may need it .

Region 2

The red headed Step child gets the chance to shine against a fellow Public , good news, Liberty stood up to ED'S last year pretty well didn't go quietly into that good night . Saw someone cluelessly quip that it will be " ANOTHER " Liberty Semi Final beatdown ? Well Liberty has been to the Semi's one time and they weren't blown-out of beat-down and they won't be here either . No disrespect to Whitmer , but it appears even getting that last second win vs Olentangy last week { Got outplayed from scrimmage badly?} that if playing a decent OCC schedule they lose a few and would be fighting to make the play-offs and not be a undefeated number one seed . Liberty will get Weisman back which is crucial against Mentor's pass game.

Region 1

Mentor has done this before, but was more expected to a small handful of years ago , this year not so much , but like Liberty and Colerain and many other still playing the team ahs grown and improved steadily as the season has progressed which I have said is the mark of a well coached program , I think on a gut level that Mentor wins a competitive game , but I like the match-up for Liberty , I think they have a good shot .

Publics had a night won some close ones against Catholics lost a close one but won the night, great for Ohio High school football
Old 11-20-17, 07:21 AM
All World

Week 14

Trotwood vs Toledo Central Catholic -

Cal Preps Trotwood 28 TCC 19
Pasteur line Trotty - 11

Rare time where Louie has a heavier line than CP . Trotwood has inner city Demo's in all respects and has big time talent . The class of D-3 would compete well at the D-1 level . TCC is coming on , but is it the competition or real improvement? TCC has some talent , beat up Hartley pretty good in week one , but it seems Hartley when going against someone equal came up short except for a 2 point win vs DeSales who was overrated it seemed including by me . I had an inkling when Coffman kind of bottled up SFD pretty good in a scrimmage that they would have trouble scoring against good defenses . it turned out to be true.

So how impressive was the Hartley win actually? MEH . TCC Lost to Whitmer who got to week 13 but was largely unimpressive as they snuck by Lorain who was ? MEH and got outplayed overall by Olentangy and won on the last play of the game , and got embarrassed and or exposed by Liberty . TCC may make a play or two here but can they hang for 24 ? never mind 48?

These clubs played last year at this stage , and Trotty thumped them 36-0 , is it going to be that again ? It should be closer to that than the 11 points Louie P is laying I would think ? The only reason for pause here is the fact that Trotty eviscerated this club last season and may have trouble getting pumped up for this one emotionally, but I think Trotty smells a State title here and they realize this game is the toughest one left. No disrespect to TV or ASVSM but those clubs don't match -up whatsoever with this edition of Trotty M . TCC wins the ACT and the GPA contest here EASILY , BUT lose the OHASSA football contest comfortably, TCC guys back hitting the books in the afternoon next Monday , Trotty trots back to the practice field .

TM - 11 TCC

TM 34 TCC 13
Old 11-20-17, 06:34 PM
All World

Sad day for the Ohio State football family and the OSU community in general with the news that former Buckeye All American and 12 year NFL Vet Terry Glenn has passed in a car accident in Texas . Condolences to the Glenn Family and to former Rock football player Terry Glenn Jr. who graduated from Coffman in 2014 . As a New England Patriot fan I was a fan of Terry and always rooted for him when he played in Green Bay { My wife's team} and Dallas which is along with the Patriots my 1-A favorite . They say you are a Rock for life , once a Rock always a Rock , so sorry for your loss to the Glenn family and Terry Jr. . Terry Glenn Sr. a Columbus Native from Brookhaven High School gone much too soon at 43

Last edited by Harrycrane; 11-20-17 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 07:56 AM
All World

Week 14

D-3 Semi ASVSM vs. Tri Valley - LP ASVSM - 5 , CP ASVSM - 7

Lines seem right here, teams played a low scoring game in week 2 and the Catholic team won a one score game. Something similar this time around? ASVSM fans were not expecting this I am told a young team, but that's the thing with more regional AAU like teams, you can reload quicker, rebuilding years are not as prevalent really .

At this stage may be a round earlier I look at the programs who advance more frequently and what they may have in common . Obviously the private AAU like programs have things in common , but it is interesting to me to see the disparities and the likeness of programs . Yes it is not politically correct to mention academics on a football forum, or at least if you are mentioning their teams it isn't , guys seem to hate political correctness as long as incorrectness isn't coming towards them and where they live.

Anyway in this match-up it looks equal in terms of the football fundamental match-up. Tri Valley takes their sports programs very seriously and takes great pride in their football program and they have gone far other times and come up short , they have broken through this year having to beat a very good AAU team to do so . I saw someone mention the advantage Tri Valley had over Hartley because they had 130 more boys? As if it is apples to apples . IT'S NOT and it's never been .

It is the year of the Public it seems , some won razor last second games some won a bit easier but this is an exceptional year not the rule certainly . I was surprised to see Tri Valley's academic numbers were low , hmm surprised me I must say . On par with Colerain's and Massilon's two schools that REALLY REALLY are all about football so Tri Valley is in good company there I suppose because they really seem to care .

Tri Valley I was told by someone who was there and I caught the second half radio broadcast sold out completely on the run , were more than ready for all the sweeps Hartley likes to run and strung them out . Completely won the field position battle by a wide margin , had better special teams and were much more disciplined and eeekd out a win despite having a scant 150 yards of offense and gave up 320 . It is TOUGH to score only 9 points when you have 320 yards of offense , you don't see that often .

Can Tri- Valley play that well again with only ONE penalty ? No turnovers ? win the field position battle again ? Hartley appears better on paper than ASVSM , but if you loo deep , In Hartley's toughest games they won two of them by 2 and 5 points and they lost by 18 to TCC .and now to Tri Valley . So how much better? ASVSM was pushed just as hard as TV was winning a close decision over a small favorite in Canfield.

My feeling is TV feels that it just won a state title, that win was EPIC , to ASVSM it was just another day at the play-off office . Small advantage for ASVSM? YES I believe it is and small advantages become big sometimes at this stage . Can TV get towards that same emotional level this week after selling out and expending that much energy? Their offense seemed to run out of gas in the second half of the Hartley game and I expect ASVSM to play the same kind of defense as they have been coming on lately.

ASVSM - 5 TV

ASVSM 17- TV 10
Old 11-22-17, 07:30 AM
All World

Week 14

D-2 Semi Finals

Hoban Archbishops vs. Avon Ladies -

My Aunt was an 'Avon Lady" got cosmetic products as a small child, soap on a rope, kid peach fuzz after shave , you know , the kinds of things kids find very useful . Same Aunt and Uncle knew me well and got me a year's subscription to Sports Illustrated ever year through High School , very thoughtful so the soap on a rope was simply a stocking stuffer which I would never open , Deodorant was another 'Gift " that came a few years later , never used that either.

The last of the Public Catholic match-ups in the to three divisions , this one has Hobie a nice sized 15 point choice per Cal Preps and Lucky Louie has it at a Touchdown and XPOINT { 7} .

Seems about right doesn't it ? Avon is a well educated higher academically achieving community, similar demographics to say Mentor and Liberty and Tri Valley . Kind of homogenous . Avon has been winning and covering most of the year their closest game ironically came as a 32 point choice over North Ridgeville and won by 5 , NR won three ballgames . Blew out Olmstead Falls last week I had them winning and covering the Louie Line myself but not eviscerating it .

Hoban is known for a large strong offensive line and will attempt to bludgeon Avon and most feel they are capable of doing just that over 48 minutes.

Hoban played an all private /Catholic reg. season schedule , they have hammered the three publics they have played so far by an average of 35 points. They won't win by 35 here most assuredly , but they are a clear favorite here.

Rooting for Avon, but Hoban is Hoban at this time of year and they continue their 'Public ' Domination on Friday , not 35 points like domination but somewhat comfortable 31-14 .
Old 11-22-17, 01:29 PM
All World

Week 14

D-2 Semi- Final

Winton Woods vs Massillon

Massillon gets a ton of crap out here, people hate that they are popular of people talk about them without having the title on the field and mock their AP poll wins back in the day. The shine has worn off and people like to pile on in general in society and the perceived overrated faded glory like team is going to have a huge target on their backs.

Many will rejoice when the inevitable happens which is Winton Woods putting it on this club. When playing this class of opponent they have gotten beaten , including badly by D-1 contender Mentor 49-14 and NY Catholic Canisius also giving up half a hundred 49- 36 and a defensive struggle 13-10 vs ASVSM . Play - offs have been against overmatched teams , teams they could just line up against and keep the ball .

that won't be the case on Friday. Winton is off of a hugely emotional win vs three time defending champ LaSalle and they needed to convert a 4th and 10 late in a do or die situation and went on to make a last second field goal to knock off the champ. In the Tri Valley - ASVSM game I think the emotional edge goes to ASVSM because I really think to TV beating a team like Hartley was like winning a title . I believe Winton Woods needed a few days to get over this huge win as well BUT has just too many advantages here match-up wise .

Louis P has Massillon a 13 point dog, Cal Preps rates this a 40-17 like game , it may be somewhere in the middle may be closer to CP. This game is not part of the academic spotlight series , well below average academic numbers their combined great school score equals Pickerington Central's and falls well below say two other clubs still alive in Avon or Olentangy Liberty's . , very different demographics however , Interesting match-up . Massillon has the history and blue blood name recognition , The Woods of Winton has a newer money feel to them even with a state title in 2009 . School opened in 1991 .

Will Winton Woods add another state title football trophy to the chest? I would bet YES , and the road to the trophy ceremony continues on Friday by handling Massillon.

Winton Woods 35 Massillon 14

Last edited by Harrycrane; 11-24-17 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-24-17, 09:47 AM
All World

Week 14

D-1 State Semifinal the Big Boys

Pickerington Central vs. Colerain - Louie Line PC - 1 Cal Preps Colerain - 4 { 26-22}

Have to love Cal Preps using 26-22 , two dead numbers in betting parlance , games rarely land on those numbers, two horrible numbers to get when playing the squares at the local bar , you hope for safety's I suppose when you see those numbers pop up near your name , which is akin to hoping for a happy ending with the ball in Deskon Kizer's hands with 3 minutes left down a few points .

Anyway , this match-up is what Ohio High school football at the D-1 level is all about. Can anyone truthfully say they have a great idea as to how this one plays out? Didn't think so .

Colerain was a number one seed the last two years , 2015 they had a juggernaut , crushed Coffman ST X and Elder in succession before losing 28-21 to Wayne. That team not making a state final is an exhibit in showing just how tough and competitive Ohio High school football is at the big boy level . No disrespect to other divisions it si competitive at hose levels as well.

You see to get to a final and win it , you can't just have a really strong class who can do a few things well , you go to other states and you look at who wins and many times it's a team that is dominant on one area and has no real competition or no comp until the last game. In Ohio at this level you need not only some speed some size or strength , or simply a great system and coaching you need that perfect sweet spot combination of al of those factors .

The you need a little luck in what match-ups you have to navigate, may be you need a team you don't match up with to get beat by a team that you do match up better with?

You need that late 4th down conversion { Winton Woods last week } and a cross bar to get in the way of an opponents last second field goal , or the wind to suddenly start whipping up while you defend the good passing teams last drive , or a random throw it up and come down with the ball on your longest pass attempt of the season.

Winning FIVE games is HARD and it ahs to be said that props are in order for al teams still having a practice session on Thanksgiving day . Colerain got upset by a five loss ST X last year in round two{ Obviously their schedule was brutal } this year they are younger and beat a BETTER ST X team , so it is hard to figure indeed isn't it ?

The game wasn't as close as the score either , so Colerain is really a train running downhill , going at blur speed crushing teams up to last week for a while and last week they rolled up a crap load of yardage .

Colerain lost to LaSalle by a few and St X by a few to start 0-2 , since then ? zero close games until last week and last weeks score was a bit misleading . PC has had some bumps in the road , PN by 3 , a 4-6 Lancaster team by one , a loss to D-3 top dog Trotty Madison , but two nice wins against out of state powers in Michigan and Indiana , week three after those games they lost to Trotty .

I think some of these 'Bumps " has given Colerain some confidence that it can beat and handle this team , PC has no such pebbles in the road to feel emboldened by. Losing to ST X and LaSalle the defending D-1 and D-2 champs is hardly red flag worthy .

PC handled PN much easier in round two ,Ditto Colerain with St X . Both come in with confidence , PC top RB is out because of a terrible lapse in judgment , will it hurt? May be a bit, but not an earth shattering development .

Colerain lack of size up front on defense has been a topic , mostly because PC is mammoth and experienced on the O-Line , will this be a main factor ? hard to tell to be honest , mostly because Colerain is really quick but also because their LB'S are excellent .

Colerain is a rare D-1 team at this level to play about 5 kids both ways may be not fulltime but they all paly on both sides on a semi regular basis , this s something I like seeing actually, utilizing al your athletes to the best of your ability , always tough to lose games while some of your top athletes sit and watch on the sideline .

PC has a few guys who they employ in situational two way play I have seen . I think the magic number is 24 , that is the total I believe that will be more than enough to win the ballgame.

May be 21 is more accurate ? Who bends and doesn't break ? Who makes better adjustments series to series, at this level simply making half time adjustments isn't good enough unless you are playing against a coaching staff that is MEH.

PC is more experienced overall , bigger certainly not as fast but not a slow team , I can make an argument for both teams really and if that is the case in terms of what I do in College and NFL handicapping if I can make an equal argument for both sides it's a NO PLAY , go to the next one where I can find some kind of edge in terms of the number .

If this was a real money situation ? No brainer No play , cross this one off the sheet . But I'm doing all the games from D-3 to D-1 against the Louie Line which i have beaten nicely overall so far so I will make a selection .

In politics we have become an incredibly 'TRIBAL " nation, which means in short simple shallow terms , We overlook questionable things that a person does if they have the right letter after their name , and castigate someone exhibiting the same frailties if they have the wrong letter after their name.

Well this tribalism is also present to a much lesser extent of course in these forums , it is split along region lines , we tend to not only root for the teams in our regions which is very understandable , but also make arguments for no matter how shaky based mostly on where that team resides and what conference or region they play in .

We do this sub-consciously sometimes with as much control as we have over our reflexes. We also opine and make judgements based on what we 'WANT TO HAPPEN" as if making a strong case made may make it have a better chance to come true .

This is a game where any strong argument can be picked apart pretty quickly , so I won't make one , but rather just go with a gut feeling taking the more experienced team , a team I am a bit more familiar with . I have been opining that Colerain is the choice and should be the favorite and they probably should be to be honest, they have been a bit more impressive over the last month or so, but the gut , not some strong conviction based on facts has me picturing PC getting it done here .

PC - 1 Colerain -

PC 20 Colerain 17
Old 11-24-17, 04:07 PM
All World

Week 14

D-1 State Semi Final

Olentangy Liberty vs Mentor LP Line Mentor - 9 Cal Preps Mentor - 14
{ 35-21}

I see it as a two score margin line wise as well . No doubt Mentor should be the favorite here and their incredibly impressive wins vs the Cleveland Catholic royalty certainly would cement the perception that it may be men vs. Boys.

I don't think the Mentor program and payers are thinking this way , just the perception of the fans and onlookers may be. The way Mentor , which is pronounced 'Menner " in the same way Lancaster is pronounced Lenkuhster " by locals , ran the ball vs Ed's and to a lesser extent Iggy makes most think 'Hey we can run it down a team's throat who lost by a combined 59-0 to Wayne and Pickerington North right? That's how this works right?

Well I suppose sometimes it can but many times using this logic is faulty at best. these two schools share similar demographics , both are on the large end of the D-1 spectrum with Mentor having about 350 more boys in the top 3 grades . Liberty has only been opened since 2003 a year so near back cheating Lying Lance Armstrong was winning tour De France's and Saddam Hussein was captured , I think Donald Trump opined that he no longer had the same respect for Hussein seeing as though Hussein was captured .

1923 was the roaring 20's and cars were scarce , Menner was probably a little house on the Prairie one room school house, OK may be two rooms .

Liberty is one of the top 5- 8 schools in Ohio academic achievement wise , very high standards , Mentor also does an excellent job in that regard not Liberty's stature on this plane but very solid .

Football wise Mentor has been very good for a few years before Liberty was opened, but pretty close to that time . Steve Hale is the only coach Liberty has ever had , Menner coach Triv has bene around for a while himself showing that coaching continuity is a key factor, most programs that really achieve consistently have this.

Liberty has won most of it's play-off games in it's shorter history in the last two seasons , yes in Region 2 it ahs become a bit easier no question. This is Mentor's first game vs a region 2 program so the conventional wisdom is they thrash the smart guys from Powell and send them home with a bruised ego.

Mentor has played great the last two week sand really well all season , but I think while Menner fans can point to Pickerington North and Wayne games for reassurance, I think Liberty can look towards Euclid scoring 59 in a two point loss to Menner and 34 given up in a 38-34 win vs Solon towards the end of the season.

Mentor has the more polished and experienced QB , a nice edge there, they have good RB'S and receivers, edge their O-line vs Liberty D-Line? Menner , Liberty has a nice big back who can move a pile and step around one with quick feet, not a burner at all but at 225 strong and durable . 6-5 Receiver who is becoming a good football player who will likely play hoops in college not paying the full freight .

Wiseman is a Swiss army knife he can do a little bit of everything WELL , he is an excellent cover guy with superior ball skills and a knack for making plays , takeaways that is. In the slot he is a tough match-up. LB Core for Liberty is very good ,they aren't easy to run on at this juncture of the season . Much improved team , but probably not a state level team , Menner is , beating both Ed's and Iggy proves that among other positive attributes, a nice offensive line some stud defensive players that have elevated many of the other players lately .

I think Liberty hangs in and gives a nice account , but I feel even if a bit emotionally spent off of the two huge wins , Mentor ahs a little too much , a QB that is tough to stop , just enough weapons and a strong presence at the line of scrimmage that will help them control things well enough to get the W.

The score is the tough thing though , it most certainly won't be 42-0 , but will it be by less than 9 or where the Louie Line is set?

Mentor - 9 O-Liberty -

Mentor 27 - Liberty 16
Old 11-29-17, 08:47 AM
All World

Championship week already, season flies by a few week sago it seemed it was the last scrimmage and now there are 7 games left , 3 of which I will make the last predictions on in D-3 through D-1 .

Incredible outlier season as in D-3 there is no Catholic participant , TCC was bested by D-3 monster Trotty Madison , and behemoth Hartley just moved from D-4 was beaten by Tri -Valley . ASVSM was a year away from most personal accounts so not a huge surprise that TV beat them I suppose, I figured ASVSM by a TD but TV is still here .

D-2 there is a Catholic left but is not a clear favorite by any stretch, Winton Woods is really good and many think they are the choice.

D-1 has two public programs that have been close before and now one of them gets the elusive title .

As I do with every level of football when handicapping , I start with fundamental aspects, as in more physical dynamics . Match-ups, individual and unit vs unit wise .

What will a team be able to hang their hat on? What do they do well and what does the opponent have in regards to stopping or slowing it down? When this team has the ball what will happen and what will happen when the other team goes on offense .

Strength vs Strength , strength vs weakness . the you go to ancillary reasons why a team may have an edge, situational stuff, coaching advantages , scheme advantages , past history which is only applicable to me as a strong dynamic if the coaching staff is the same because we know the players change every year.

Physical issues, , injuries , is one team fresher than the other ? Did one have a war the week before and did one have a more comfortable win to advance ? It matters , to what degree s the key.

How many close games has a team played? of course at the NFL level this is never really and issue , but at the high school level and to a lesser extent the college game ,it does matter . How has the team react to being behind, if in fact they have bene ? Marion Local ?} Or have they let down in some games after getting up somewhat comfortably and may let the team back in it ?

What tempo is the game likely to be played at and is one team more comfortable if it does play out as you think ? Looking for parallel situations is crucial to me anyway.

Hilliard Davidson has had an advantage over the years not in personnel or talent certainly , but in SCHEME, you may only see what they do that ONE time all year they will probably have seen what you do or something similar multiple times or is very used to trying to defend a one back set , spread you out philosophy .

What kind of speed and physicality has a team seen previously? How did they match-up ? Does the team have the personnel to play strong pass defense against a well oiled efficient spread attack ? Are the disciplined defending the run , gap integrity ? setting consistent edges? Do they stay home or are they susceptible to giving up large chunk plays on reverses or misdirection?

Can one team just line up and effectively play smash mouth and be effective or become effective eventually after a wear down period because the opponent doesn't match up well up front or at the LB position ?

Is one team flat out faster at most positions and can they take advantage of it or is the opponent adept at hiding the weakness or lessening it ? How did they do when they played a good team who was bigger and faster than they were . ??

Some see a result against a great team and surmise they will do the same to a team ranked a bit lower than that great team they just beat, doesn't work that way, styles makes fights, al match-ups are unique, parallel handicapping doesn't mean using records or even power ratings, it is finding teams that do similar things to the upcoming opponent and how did they deal with it ?

How good are the coaches making adjustments ? Not just at Halftime but from series to series, ? HS coaches aren't the Patriots staff , they can't be expected to make tweaks as easily on the fly , or have a QB that has played for 20 years LOL , .

Situationally all team obviously can't or won't be looking ahead or will play unfocused fully,. So it comes down to small things fundamentally that may become BIG things that will tilt the field in one team or another's direction . Sometimes it is flat out who has more momentum not from winning as al teams are on some kind of success streak but who is kicking AZZ AND IS THE HOTTER TEAM?

You can't predict or handicap turnovers really , or dropped passes or even penalties although some teams are more disciplined certainly than others or more fundamentally sound , but overall you can only try to figure out what may happen if those aforementioned mentioned factors aren't skewed too much for or against one side.

Have a pretty good idea what may happen but strange things do happen and probably will in a game or two out of the seven finals . First 3 weeks I was comfortably ahead of the Louie Line last week ? It got tougher, 3-3 was the record, tis week have to win two out of three to end on a winning note . pretty confident .
Old 11-29-17, 10:02 PM
All World

Yes , I am finally done clicking on my own posts for the 40,000 the time this month to make it appear that others are reading the posts { I take long sabbatical sin the fall so I can keep clicking and running up views } . If I wasn't doing this all day because I have so much time on my hands { I don't } what else would I do ?

OK , really amusing to me that someone actually suggested SAYING EVERYONE KNOWS what you are doing , well everyone except me apparently . Anyway it's clear that the pot shot sucker punch poster named Former Wildcat is a pathetic loser officially , yes he cuts and pastes all the time other people's posts to crack on me as if he is part of the conversation { He isn't , he has no real conversations with anyone here or anywhere else I am convinced } and adds nothing of interest and has no ideas or thoughts of his own or anything original so he talks about venues in between making stuff up sometimes about me .

He has jumped the proverbial shark as far as any credibility goes , he's the type of poster that is a jock sniffer , never engaged in any combat of any kind at any time , a cheerleader , a non real participant in High school and now on a forum like this .

He's reading this of course , he won't respond on this forum because he just won't , but trust me because eh has zero real game and he finds it more comfortable in the presence of using other cheerleaders posts copying them and making a crack .

That's what people with no game do , they have nothing else .

Anyway pathetic people with no real responses and any real content use others and hang on the periphery of things here or anywhere else they take up space. Cheerleaders who gain strength from others posts comments and the newspaper LOL .

All worm like slivers of Former Wildcat's Credibility died today RIP CRED

Week 15

No final opinions just yet , but I can't help think the Trotty - Tri Valley line is a tad low , or REALLY LOW. I mean Trotty can play at a higher level in other words they can play with the big boys , not sure TV can , pretty sure they can't .

Was told that TV is buoyed by a 'Former " Davidson assistant and that was a huge reason or at least a factor how they beat Hartley because they were so strong because of the Davidson difference , " you know they lift hard and were stronger than Hartley ? UMM no they weren't actually , stronger that is or better really except for may the punter was clearly superior to Hartley's punter and Oh yeah the Hartley play-calling was suspect , in other words the next adjustment or change in mode of operation in that game will be the first .

So this Former Wildcat gets credit for the win although they run nothing that the 5-5 Wildcats do , I mean nothing, but there is that strength training model I will say this may be TV is lifting harder than Davidson is lately, because I didn't see Davidson winning the majority of the physical battles when they played good teams or many teams actually so may be that guy can get back to Davidson to help ?

TV will battle and scrap and they lift hard as I am told , but Trotty is HARD and tough ,12 points is a pittance can this game really stay within that ? I was wrong with Hartley but then again I overestimated the coaching and schemes , thought they may adjust much sooner if TV continued to full out run blitz .

14 Minimum ? I see 31- 7 would anyone take that -12 and my action ?
Old 11-30-17, 01:32 PM
All World

Week 15

D-2 Final

Hoban vs. Winton Woods - LP LINE Hoban - 2

Really difficult match-up to get a handle on and predict . Basically a pick em , the team do appear to be evenly matched . Winton is getting back to this level for the first time since 2009 when the Woods of Winton won it all . They did not have to beat a Catholic throughout that play-off run beating Maple Heights in the final .

After that until this year they had 4 years of no play-offs , two losses to Trotwood Mad in first round and a second round loss to MY Healthy .

Hoban is the big bad wolf lately going to their third straight final , this time in D-2 as a " VICTIM lol " of the competitive balance initiative . They had a little drought until 2015 and their Title. They made the play-offs in 2009 winning one game , but the five seasons from 2010- through 2014 they missed the play-offs each year including abysmal records of 1-9 in 2011 and 2-8 in 2012.

Their title run in 2015 saw them win the five games by an average of 10 points . They have become more dominant the last two years . Last year they won the five games by an average of 24 , including a brutal knockout of Trotwood by 30 . This year they have upped that number through 4 games to an average margin of 33 points .

Hoban played an all Catholic schedule in the regular season going 9-1, losing only to Iggy early by 14 . they were 12-1-1 vs the Pasteur line . In play-off action they have gone against all publics and crushed them all including crushing the Louie Line by 28 points .

The one thing some are talking about is the 'Close game " advantage Winton Woods has . They had a 3 pt. win vs. LaSalle , a one point win vs Indy Chatard, a one point loss to Elder then a 2 point win vs. LaSalle in the rematch, converting the 4th down and 10 on their won side of the ball to stay alive and hitting the clutch field goal on the last play . Winton Woods besides that LaSalle nail-biter crushed three publics by an average of 33 points .

This is a very difficult game as I said to figure, still mulling over this after reviewing the dynamics .

Continued
Old 11-30-17, 02:55 PM
All World

Week 15

Winton Woods vs. Hoban cont LP Line Hoban - 2

No question this is the year of the public. And then there was ONE , as in ONE Catholic out of 14 still standing still playing . They are the kings of the Catholic pride castle , 'Masters of their domain " the other Bishops, the Saints and the Academy's are all gone now , disappearing like a fart in the wind. LaSalle was a given up 4th and 10 and a clutch made field goal away from probably being here again as usual . But Winton Woods, who as has bene pointed out is taking nice advantage of open enrollment . This isn't saying that the field of play is even as Hoban is now a bonafide football factory as one of their fans pointed out sighing that he wasn't sure it was a " Good thing", BUT winning is always enjoyable .

Hoban runs a great program , excellent coaching staff, kids work hard and buy in as they say , and yes of course they have a nice net in which to catch some athletic fish . BIG O-LINE , punishing run game, efficient pass game, Frosh QB who may be a Texas Red shirt , but still a Frosh . Will this be a factor ? hmmm when there is little to choose from sometimes you go with the gut and surmise that if anyone can deal with Hoban's run game it's this front seven .

What happens when this becomes a reality ? FROSH WILL HAVE TO PASS . I think the close wins as I pointed out is also a factor , may be a slightly bigger one than having a Frosh at QB . Winton Woods getting down to Massillon is worrisome , scoring 56 unanswered lessens the worry I suppose, but suffice to say if they come out of the gate throwing up on themselves and say get down 14-0 ? it may be over against this class.

I have a better feeling about the D-1 and D-3 games quite frankly but here goes

Hoban - 2 Winton Woods,

Winton Woods 20 Hoban 17

Last edited by Harrycrane; 11-30-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 09:02 PM
All World

Nice call on this one , WW is very well coached and has played a great game , I guess Hoban is going to win a title as the pre-eminent football factory in Ohio? I should have known , I mean 42 points in the first half ? Winton Woods beat DeSales by about a 100 , didn't DeSales at least stay with Hoban for a while last year? WTF is going on,? , Winton Woods needs to expand their open enrollment LOL .

This is bigger than a laid Brontasaurus egg, , more like a Blue Whale egg .
Old 12-01-17, 09:06 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Hoban ... football factory
Winton Woods ... open enrollment
Looking forward to reading your insults of the rest of the slate of participants.
Old 12-01-17, 03:09 PM
All World

Umm one of Hoban's own fans said that I was quoting , he was musing if it was in fact a good thing GO LOOK IT UP TROLL , also Winton Woods larger open enrollment is hardly a secret and is openly talked about as part of the story and improvement overall , what is your freaking problem ? you've become this lame azz poster , good god.

These are insults? Well actually no many Hoban fans actually like that development and open enrollment numbers going up at Winton is hardly an insult is it? You are becoming sorry and weak as if these type of topics are so controversial , always welcome to troll of course I know you read al my stuff , thanks for stopping by but you can do better than that can't you? may be not . I remember the high school baseball team I played for was called a baseball factory in the press{ We had 3 MLB players at one time and many in the minor leagues } it was good natured and no one thought it an insult at all , it was a throwaway line in a tournament game story . Come on now
Old 12-01-17, 04:03 PM
All World

Week 15

D-1 FINAL

Mentor vs. Pickerington Central LP line PC - 6

Very interesting match-up for a few reasons . First off both have long time head coaches who have come close but haven't bene able to light up the victory cigar after the title game.

Mentor was first at this point in 2006 going against Davidson . That was a good Davidson team that I saw come back from a two TD deficit to Coffman to with the regional by a touchdown , and then in a very low scoring game beat heavily favored Colerain . That game was an offensive game , with Mentor having trouble with Davidson option/ power running offense , and Davidson struggling covering the Mentor passing game .

Went back and forth ending at 28-28 going to overtime Mentor scored , kicked the PAT , Davidson scored and went for the win and the two point conversion in a gutsy do or die call , Bo Delande scored on it and Davidson celebrated it's first title.

Mentor got back the very next year{ 2007} but was outclassed by a 15-0 ranked 4th Nationally ST X club losing 27-0 . No shame in that loss I saw that X team up close as Coffman battled them the week before, a great game with ST X holding on at the end 10-7 . They had double digit D-1 kids { Coffman had6} and were very solid especially defensively .

Mentor then made it back in 2013 , winning a high scoring affair vs Ed's in the semi's 41-38 before losing a barnburner 55-52 to Moeller . They are back again in 2017 .

Very impressive being in this game 4 times out of 12 seasons, once every three seasons on average is nothing to scoff at and puts them in rarefied air no question.

PC lost to Piqua in 2006 and Brandon Saine as a D-2 school after Pick North opened lessening their enrollment a bit 26-7 . They went back to D-1 the next year losing to Coffman in the second round 35-9 . That set the stage for a close call in 2008 winning the region and losing to Elder 24-10 in the Semi's after their best player Zach Boren got hurt kind of deflating PC.

They got back to a state final this time in D-1 losing to Iggy handily 34-13 . They had beaten Davidson 24-0 in the regional final and a slug fest with ST X 14-7 to gain the final berth only to come up a bit short .

Also interesting is a clash of styles, , Mentor has tightened up on defense certainly in the play-offs, as the games aren't the video game high scoring affairs that they have had in the past . They still have a very efficient effective passing game with a talented QB running the show , but they like to be more balanced now and their main back is very good , the second guy is smaller but also pretty good, lets hope the lead guy can go near full speed .

PC wants to be very physical and just intimidate you with their speed , toughness, size and strength . Mentor isn't a small team , they have some big O-lineman and a few studs on defense . Potter at about 240 pounds is a real handful and a big time recruit .

They have athletes both at the wide out spots /slot and their defensive backs are good , Lankange I believe is his name is particularly good . They aren't as impressive athletically as PC is , not getting around that fact but the more athletic or bigger team doesn't always win as we know .

The QB is a gamer and has very good talent , appears under-recruited at first glance to me . And being a Senior to PC's Crenshaw Sophomore standing could be an advantage in terms of handling things if the events start going sideways?

I have given my thoughts on what I feel PC may do offensively and I keep coming back to the obvious. the run game and sticking with it and not panicking, the wear down eventually fund can be used, but you need to put something into that account to get as much out of it when it counts.

PC commits penalties at a high rate, they play that way a little loose , Coach lets some of his talent freelance a bit , sometimes it is a boon , sometimes it can bust a bit but I think Sharrett surmises that eventually his kids will make more big meaningful game changing plays if he loosens the reigns a bit .

Mentor benefitted from Liberty getting too many 15 yarders , they weren't clean themselves though . Penalties can sneak up on you and if they come at the wrong time in the wrong part of the field ? It can cost you a state title .

One of the more interesting parts of this story is the incredible + 21 turnover margin PC' has this season , UNREAL , Mentor has a + 1? Turnovers for the most part are random and can be luck or unlucky depending on your perspective.

But this PC team is fast aggressive and plays a style that will lend itself to taking the ball away more frequently than most teams at this level or any level really relative to competition .

Crenshaw running the ball often is always good because of his propensity especially lately of breaking one , hitting a homerun . Henderson for the Tigers will be the ebst athlete on the field , he needs to be watched when playing offense as a receiver but is a ball-hawking defensive wiz as his main trade, Receiver is his lucrative gig on the side .

The keys to me are of course as always turnovers , and general sloppiness or lack-thereof . I do not think PC needs a turnover margin to win here, , they probably did against Colerain .

Mentor beating both Ed's and Iggy may be caused a bit of a let down vs Liberty , it can happen, and they didn't have their main running back . The thing is Mentor has buttoned up their game, after giving up a ton to Euclid and a large number to Solon on defense , holding the last three opponents numbers in the low 20's and have scored enough to win, meaning they do what they need to do to win the ballgame.

PC I believe either early or later on will be able to pound the rock effectively , and as a consequence hit a homerun at some point getting the ball up in the air . I think their defense will likely get a couple turnovers that will help them . The defense in back matches up well with Mentor's receivers , better than Liberty's meaning they won't have to paly as much zone and will use less guys I back may be getting a pass rush , something that Liberty couldn't do .

Mentor defense is good enough to keep it close or even get a lead early , but at some point a dam bursts or is it a turnovers chain make an appearance ?? Mentor can win here , any team that can hit a consecutive week Big Cleveland Catholic daily double can take down this PC team.

BUT I have this gut feeling that it's just PC'S year, they got the basketball title a few years back and now I think they have the personnel , momentum and confidence to get this done and finish it.

PC - 6 Mentor

PC 27 Mentor 17
Old 12-01-17, 04:07 PM
All World

Side note I go into the last 2 games

33-18 against the Pasteur line . Did just R-2 and R-3 I round one and them all of D-1 through D-3 round 2 through 5 .

Not bad , hit the Pasteur line at times but didn't predict the game right , lost a couple close ones, won some very comfortably and lost a few blowouts like last night as Winton Woods was a deer in the headlights while in a full blown panic attack . but overall very good to be 15 games over 500 against a point spread
Old 12-02-17, 04:54 PM
All World

Week 15

D-3 Final

Trotty M VS Tri -V

I have opined on this game on other threads and this one, not much to say here really , TWM can beat anyone in the state on a given day, I won't call them the best team in the state because they beat Pick C almost three months ago , but they are really close and you can make an argument for them certainly .

TV is a great story , I had them losing fairly big to Hartley , didn't happen , but they got out-gained by a nice margin but played great special teams had great field position all game .

Trotty would put it on Hartley also if they were playing them tonight . TV has done the school and community proud, can't fake your way to 4 wins, smoke and mirrors isn't an option to be here.

Night probably ends badly, but the program is in great shape will gain big momentum and be stronger for the beating they probably take tonight .

One of the reasons is Trotty was ambushed and embarrassed last year at this stage of the game getting hammered by 30 in the final .

They remember well and that alone keeps them focused enough to not let the underdog hang around for a while .

Parental guidance is suggested for kids under 13. { extreme violence and some ugliness expected}

TWM - 12 TV.

Last time I felt this confident against the Louie Line involving a game with TV Hartley laid a brontosaurus egg , TWM could do likewise tonight and still win comfortably

TWM 38 TV 7

34-18 vs. Louie Line going into the last game , won't say make it 35-18 as a final tally , don't want to jii______ ahhhh Crap I just jinxed myself , oh well pretty sure it won't matter here .
Old 12-04-17, 12:44 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
TV is a great story , I had them losing fairly big to Hartley , didn't happen , but they got out-gained by a nice margin but played great special teams had great field position all game .

Trotty would put it on Hartley also if they were playing them tonight .
Trotty would have put it on them in Week 14, not the finals. That's how OHSAA was planning it.

And since you asked what happened, here's my bulleted list:
  • Sometimes the other team is just better, and TV was. Physical teams always match up well. I had said in week 11 that they worried me more than anyone else remaining in the playoffs.
  • Kids. Sometimes they have an off night. Oline execution was off like it hadn't been since week one. Best RB wasn't looking up to read the cuts. Dad eventually started yelling at him about it - not sure it made a difference.
  • Edge - TV never gave it away. Two years ago, Fenwick didn't either but a more physical Hawks team were able to just keep pounding it.
  • Field position. Coach wants fake option and surrenders punting for that.
  • Refs. Same penalties as called all season plus additional penalties not called during earlier part of season. Demoralizing but it is what it is.
  • Injury. 77 was not playing defense on first drive - he was getting patched up for something on the sideline. No way TV runs up the middle with him in there.
  • Playing from behind. Run-first teams struggle with this.
  • Talent. No feature back this season - more of a squad. It's not the east-side all stars anymore - Independence, MF, and WR all had very good teams. Never any chance of drawing out of Pickerington, Gahanna, or Reynoldsburg. They're the destinations. Harvest Prep owns Canal now. Good sophomore class coming up will get the haters going again.
  • Coaching. But he has three titles and a runner up trophy so I should shut up already. Starting backup QB on second drive - didn't get that. Not calling that time out at the end - didn't get that.
Old 12-04-17, 02:53 PM
All World

Good summary thank you , TV was great in the play-offs, I mean I don't think this but those transitive property guys might say IF TV and PC played it comes down top the last possession .

Very surprised that TV beat Hartley and Trotty no question, they got hot got more confidence , raised their level of play and hats off to them . Yes you guys lost the field position battle BADLY .
Over the years I have seen Coffman lose that battle along with a lot fo other teasm to Davidson, it's like sledding uphill , TOUGH.

Off nights eggs laid is why we play the games , least likely to go down to the last few plays ? TV - Trotty , WRONG , Gutsy kids, your loss to them became a ot less surprising after the way they played the next few weeks
Old 12-29-17, 01:21 PM
All World

Season has been over for a while now but the start of the NEXT season unofficially for most programs starts after the kids come back from Christmas break.

It is at this time that kids individually and more importantly as a team decide what kind of club they want to have and how hard they want to work .

To wrap up the 2017 which I have in previous posts in terms of what went wrong and what went right strengths weaknesses etc. some individuals got some nice post season recognition .

Many all League honors of course as they were the best team in the 6 team loop, so I won't mention those .

Under-recruited LB Griffin Hoak who I spoke of many times during the pre-season and throughout the season as being a kid who should have gotten at least SOME MAC love and offers deservedly was named first team D-1 all state . Yes I know that there is such a thing as being a great HS player that may not be D-1 caliber or a D-1 recruit for whatever reason .

I get the spread offenses and the need for Linebackers that are more adept in pass coverage . Schools increasingly have cut off points for certain positions in terms of size strength speed and other more specialized measurables .

But the thing about a player like this , is that he 's the type who would walk on somewhere in the MAC and start for a couple years because he is smarter, more instinctive , tougher, can tackle better reads plays quicker reacts quicker and works harder than kids who got the offers because they were a little more flexible ran a bit faster without pads against a clock.

Not going to be a jerk and mention the kids names but trust me there are a small handful of kids just off the top of my head that aren't as good of football players or in Griffin's class who got MAC and higher level offers . Yes I know it's potential sometimes is what gets the kid an offer over someone else, so I will go on record as saying he will be a better COLLEGE player than these kids. Happens all the time, kids walk on to big state U's all over the country and eventually start , weren't recruited because they were a few inches short , a step slow or less impressive in shorts ,but aren't tough instinctive or al that smart on the field .

Anyway committed to Youngstown State where I am sure he will do very well . LB Luke Crabtree was third team all state and he did pick up his play this play this year , had a decent year last year but did a lot more this year, has some D-1 offers not sure where he may end up . Smart player , runs pretty well .

Both Crabtree and Hoak were named first team all Central District as well . Nose man Cole Bagozzi very deservedly was named second team all district and was of course first team all Ohio Central as well . Michigan State signee Jeslord Boateng was second team al Central District as well, good potential as he is still filling out physically and is FAST instincts developing still, and he makes plays .

Special mentions all Central District were Kicker Jordan Drye who was great and can definitely can kick somewhere in college if he chooses to find the right fit. Center Danny Kinzler had a excellent season as an undersized center { 5-8 195-200 ? } very effective using his leverage and deceiving strength .

D-lineman Darius Cummings also was a nice choice as special mention as he wreaked havoc withy his low to the ground 5-6 200 pound frame and speed off the edge . Darius I would contend with confidence was the 'ONLY" D-Lineman in the state to also regularly return kicks .

RB Cam Scott was a really good story as a first year starter., ran really upright with a unique style , but was effective most of the year after having a concussion issue in the last scrimmage of the pre-season , the scrimmage that also saw a season modifying injury to top Soph recruit Mike 'Donut" Drennan . Drennan will be a beast next year if healthy , an explosive back with added muscle lately a real game changer and special talent. He was named Honorable mention all Central District despite only playing in a few games , speaks to his talent . Look for him to be on a much higher list next season .

The biggest question marks and losses to graduation are obviously at Linebacker and on the D-Line . The 4 LB'S were an excellent group , in any discussion about which LB groups were best at Coffman . Junior Ryan Hamilton is the only returner and is a very good football player who can really be something next year will make a lot of plays.

NO replacing Bagozzi in the middle, he had a tremendous year forcing almost everyone to double him or pay for it with tackles for losses , strong as snot and smart. Cummings is also a key loss up front Junior Gurbash Gill has a more traditional D-End build than Cummings {6-3 240 } and had some nice moments and production . Get up to about 255 and stronger and he will be even better.

Offensive line receivers and QB I believe will be solid , Brown will throw a good deep ball something that wasn't present this year , Marcus threw some great balls , but without Drennan most of the year and inexperienced receivers the deep passing game suffered a bit . This year the receiving corps will be better with a year of experience .

offensive line can be very good if they work at a high level in the off-season, get one of the Zinser twins who missed the year , and Pittro has potential as well ,,that will be three solid Seniors who are big but need to work on their footwork and strength which everyone needs to of course , but I think it potentially can be a special group. IF THEY PUT IN THE WORK . Run game of course can be put in Drennan's hands and prosper but they need to have someone else step up, who will that be?? But whoever is running and Brown at QB will certainly be one of the runners they O-line may provide some nice space to operate with.

Lots of time to talk about this stuff as the thread will shortly change to Dublin Coffman 2018 .

Hope everyone had a nice Holiday and will have a Happy and Prosperous New year in 2018 .

Great time of the year in College football the next few days and the end of vacation is filled with interesting match-ups . Games aren't mostly on New Years day as they were in the past with the new Play-off system but more spread out over the next 4 days.

Buckeyes I believe will run the ball well tonight and bully USC a bit and pull away and win by 13 -17 points { Lay the 7 and a half } As I have said previously this is as good as the Big -10 has been top to bottom in quite some time and it was ironic that this is the year they get no team in the play-off . SEC is top heavy and the middle doesn't challenge the top like they do in this year's Big -10 so they got two teams in.

I thought pre-season that the PAC-12 was weaker this year and that turned out to be true , no great team and there has bee some real weakness shown up front with some of these teams. Notre Dame ran all over USC, ND is a poor man's Ohio State , of course that's if Ohio State brings it as they do 80 percent of the time but have laid a couple eggs . Better players more experience , better coached and better upfront on both sides ? those advantages to me if the Buckeyes play relatively clean = a somewhat comfortable win and cover .

Penn State laying only 2 and a half should handle Washington who also I believe is not Penn State's equal up front , Big -10 is already 3-0 so far , two of the games could have gone either way. Except for of course Michigan State blowing Washington State out last night.

{ for all you transitive property fans , Ohio State eviscerated MSU and Washington State beat USC Lol } and I believe the last 5 B-10 bowl games have some nice match-up advantages , besides the aforementioned OSU and PSU, Michigan an 8 and a half point FAV over South Carolina is significantly better than the Gamecocks IMO ,In other words I hold that the middle of the pack and just off the top tier of B-10 teams re better than those teams in other conferences this season .

Harbaugh won't let up if they start rolling, South Carolina is at about Florida's level this year, Florida couldn't hang with Michigan at al really , yes really early in the year but telling.
Michigan defense wil be the best unit on the field and key the win but ver the 8.5 I am not usually a big favorite player but I believe the B-10 is still undervalued as favorites I some of these match-ups . In some years the B-10 you know would have real trouble wining even a couple bowl games and would get hammered in a few of them, but not at all the case this season I believe.

I also even with the venue being Miami , Wiscky is a better team that Miami is and think Pittsburgh being able to run the ball a bit on Miami ? Pitt is a destitute version of the Wisky run game .

Some of the Hurricane wins this season were definitely in 'Living right " category . Wisky represents the B-10 well and wears down the Canes at some point and again common theme in some of these B-10 bowl match-ups is the B-10 team has the better defense. Miami D is not bad some good players at al three levels but Wisky more disciplined and matches up well .
Old 12-30-17, 07:50 AM
All World

Ward was always going to make the trip , he didn't officially declare until the last minute , actually practicing with the team , I agree ideally you9 want the kid to make the decision earlier to get the back up more ready to play , the only weakness besides a badly stagnant second half offense was the deep ball coverage from Ward's replacements , not looking for the ball grabbing the receivers , not quite ready to play.

Defensive line vs USC O-Line was man vs boys which determined the outcome , Darnold showed high draft pick skill on occasions making thorws only a select few can make, his turnover problem will heave to be modified. Does he have to go back to USC for another year to solve it ? I don't think he HAS TO , some are opining that he needs another year but football is a team game, his play was good last night considering the harassment he faced , is another year of college going to clean that up ?

Do the Browns take him though ? No one wants to go there, it is almost a guaranteed bane to your NFL existence as a QB , some never recover .
Old 12-30-17, 08:59 AM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Good job on the PC vs Mentor article Harry Crane. I just now read it 12/30/2017. Many of the points you made came to fruition. Far more interesting than ThisWeekNews. I wish you would have posted it in the PC vs Mentor thread, but it's all good. Not being sarcastic I look forward to reading your take on things in the future.
Old 12-30-17, 10:17 AM
All World

Thanks , What I thought was that PC had that once in a decade offensive line , kids that had experience and were very familiar playing with each other in addition to talent and SIZE that matched up more than well with Mentor's defense just line it up give it to the back or of course Crenshaw is a great run threat at QB.

Mentor accomplished a lot, beating both Ed's and Iggy , and they played well and were in it early second half but at some point the dam was going to burst and they were going to get worn down, and that's pretty much what happened .

I know PC has a great 3-4 year pipeline of talented kids as you have shown us by the sheer non competitive games from 7th grade through 10th with the younger kids, the one question for next year may be rebuilding that offensive line , is it a rebuild or can they re-load ?
Old 12-30-17, 06:58 PM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks , What I thought was that PC had that once in a decade offensive line , kids that had experience and were very familiar playing with each other in addition to talent and SIZE that matched up more than well with Mentor's defense just line it up give it to the back or of course Crenshaw is a great run threat at QB.

Mentor accomplished a lot, beating both Ed's and Iggy , and they played well and were in it early second half but at some point the dam was going to burst and they were going to get worn down, and that's pretty much what happened .

I know PC has a great 3-4 year pipeline of talented kids as you have shown us by the sheer non competitive games from 7th grade through 10th with the younger kids, the one question for next year may be rebuilding that offensive line , is it a rebuild or can they re-load ?
As stated on the other thread it's hard to reveal much about next year's team until June or July. Weight training begins around Feb. Hopefully a new group of lineman and skill players will gel as a unit and step up. One of the frosh phenom's who had significant PT this year has transferred to PN. The PC vs PN game is back at Tiger Stadium this year...can't wait. You could cut the tension with a knife. Don't be surprised if PN wins the state in Bball this year. They are loaded and magically just had a 6'9" senior transfer come in to play center. Gotta love it.
Old 01-10-18, 02:02 PM
All World

Yes Tiger , PN is a legit hoops squad , instant classic last night with Coffman , tough loss for the Rocks who seemed to have it in the second OT up 2 with less than 2 seconds left , nice inbounds play as they bracketed Hunter but left the Frosh Phenom Sawyer open under the hoop .

Good rivalry over there between the two Pick Schools but I must say it seems the kids change from one school to another more than any other district doesn't it? Kids seem to drift from one to the other a lot , you just hope you get more of the impact players " TO FLIP". to steal a college recruiting term lol .

May be there will be more as in the younger ranks the talent is skewed heavily towards Central and some may have to go to North to get some real playing time .
Old 01-23-18, 05:21 PM
All World

h Gecewich‏
@CoachGecewich
Follow
Follow @CoachGecewich

More
Some local HCs should get extra pay as GMs considering how they acquire talent from other schools. I must have missed "free agency period" on the @OHSAASports calendar...forever grateful and proud to build and grow with OUR guys
#HomeOverHype

ch Gecewich‏
@CoachGecewich
Follow
Follow @CoachGecewich

More
Some local HCs should get extra pay as GMs considering how they acquire talent from other schools. I must have missed "free agency period" on the @OHSAASports calendar...forever grateful and proud to build and grow with OUR guys
#HomeOverHype.

Love this guy , he has indicated this a couple times now. Clearly snarky but it's GREAT . He knows damn well he will never be able to have kids just decide to move with the old man to a small cheap apartment to Jerome country , he sees what's going on and he pokes at the programs that seem to get these key players drop by for a year or two , mostly at places or positions of need .

Loyalty or community feeling to kids and parents is gone like a fart in the wind , poof fairly dust powder just disintegrating into the ether.

Kids who grow up in a school district from Kindergarten will just up and leave in high school often going to a chief rival without blinking if they thin the move serves their purposes in any way. Sells kids went to Jerome where Coach G benefitted from , Sells top athlete and a system fro first grade kid up and goes to Coffman's chief rival in a sport other than football , won Sells highest athletic award .

We Older guys would have never even thought of just up and leaving kids we went to school with on purpose , never mind a chief rival . Not judging this is a different time , I know it sounds corny to have an affection or some loyalty to your community and be proud to wear the colors or play for a program you watched and went to games since grade school . Now ? You playa position that may be filled an might have to change ? Go to a rival , don't blink , friends ? I'll still text them , I need some more touches .
Many times these switches and defections are going form one good to very good program to one who may be slightly better in the short term .

What makes this transfer thing a bit more confusing is it rarely makes a difference at all whether you get a scholly or not , it's the off-season, the camps AAU, and travel team success that gets those .

Of course the parents drive the bus the car pool makes the decisions and kids just want to please and go along , and we know parents and community members in general have less loyalty and community pride so why should the kids?

Coach G is a gem a must twitter follow, and is doing a great job over at Jerome, and must be chomping at the bit to play Coffman this season . I don't think he gets them this year and that Coffman has a bit too much but he is getting there and making great efforts and some strides in his quest to make Jerome the IT football school in Dublin.
Old 01-23-18, 06:45 PM
All World

ichick’s ‘Do Your Job’ mantra:

+ Be prepared
+ Pay attention to detail
+ Work hard
+ Do the little things
+ Put the team first
+ Control the controllables
+ Execute under pressure

This tweet was copied from Coach White{ 'The " coach White from HD } who is also outspoken about the transfers that he feels take the easy way out in their thinking that they need to go to SOME POWER in another community in order to achieve some greater success .

He feels that kids take this path because they learn it at home and in society. HE'S RIGHT . He's lost some kids who left lately and I know he's feeling that things are changing a bit and not for the better .

The tweet from the top of the page was a coach White retweet from Coach Bill Belichick's do your job mantra . Coffman football and all programs can learn from this obviously , especially from the off-season ' control the contrables " line which means you control the next six months of strength conditioning and commitment strides YOU THE PLAYERS MAKE.
Old 02-22-18, 09:50 AM
All World

Pretty much time to probably start a Coffman 2018 thread I suppose, wasn't sure I was going to do it again but I enjoy it and will do it again , hopefully we get some other Coffman supporters out here commenting and contributing information ,we'll see it's been well read and I like doing it so I will continue .

Looking at the returning personnel it will be interesting to see if they staff changes some of their usual modus operandi to better fit what they have going forward. One thing that jumps out to me is may be on defense going to a 4-3 front? Poster Scrumper knows more about defense than I do and I would like to hear what he think s about that , or even sometimes a 4-2 5 alignment ? Linebacker has been such a strength over the last couple years or so and the D-line was a little depth shy so it made sense to line up in the 3-4 . Scrump may be retired from the forum as his boy is graduating after a very good career starting full time two years and had an especially outstanding Senior year and will play in college so he may be done posting , would like his thoughts though.

I think the culture is strong and the kids are dedicated to getting bigger and stronger and working hard at improving . the challenge of any HS coach is getting as many kids to buy in to trying hard to fulfill their own personal potential , something that TOP programs do well year in and year out. Davidson comes to mind right off the top of my head. I think at the highs school level many kids if they know they are unlikely to play in college and are very likely to start are sometimes not as focused on getting the most of their ability , good is good enough , they aren't playing after HS and they are good enough or better than others on their team so they will start so why push that hard?

It's a normal reaction , 'Hey there is no one better than me at my position and I am probably not going to play in college or push for money so i''l do what I have to do only , nothing extra. You get too many kids with that mindset and what you invariably see is teams with a lot coming back who only get marginally better if any better at all . If you look at some of Coffman's best teams you will see that they had the work hard push to be as good as you can attitude that was prevalent in a high percentage of kids .

The coaches can only push so much , it becomes up to the kids and the leaders to push the others . I thin we are seeing that from Coffman's kids what I've heard which is a great sign . A great quote I read I think came from Basketball player and now NBA executive Joe Dumars , said ' " On good teams coaches hold players accountable, " " On great teams players hold each other accountable "

You have to win the games on the field , but you can lose games during the off -season by not preparing and improving during the off -season . Some kids need to get bigger and stronger, some kids need to become better athletically and improve footwork , speed and agility , the players need to push each other . Probably the best offensive line recently was the 2014 group that had that camaraderie and work ethic , leaders who held each other accountable, this years group has potential to be very good, some experience back , a kid coming back who missed the season with an injury , a couple kids competing to become first year starters , the overall group is big has the size but needs to improve feet and quickness , Coffman is usually very good when the O-Line is solid like most teams but it seems very pronounced with this program , the team has enough skill kids to get the ball to in terms of receivers , [Running back is a question mark } and I feel a QB that can get it to them in Brown who would have started on some teams last year and who I think has potential; to do what Drew Hodgson did in 2016 , but the O-line needs to give time and space to these kids to make plays . A healthy Drennan who will have a breakout year I believe is capable of being the lead running back of course but is such a good receiver with great hands I think they use him as a pass catcher more often . But when he does line up there the O-Line has a responsibility to give the ultra talented player some room to operate .

I think one area the offense needs to improve on is the deep ball , got to make more plays downfield and I thin they have the tools to do just that IF THE O-LINE improves and does their job as I think they are capable of .

Speaking of Drennan copied this clip

Dublin (Ohio) Coffman 2020 athlete Michael Drennen II got the Under Armour Future 50 invite who caught everything in owning all linebackers that tried to challenge him. Short stuff, deep stuff, Drennen had as many receptions as any prospect competing. 247Sports ranks him as the No. 1 recruit in the Buckeye State in the sophomore class.
Old 02-26-18, 07:15 PM
All World

In addition to Drennan getting All American recognition , Rising Soph AJ Kirk was named a Frosh 1st team All American by Max Preps .

Kirk role probably can and will expand this year after playing corner last year, he will still play corner probably covering the opponents go to guys , but punt returns ? some offense ?

I have been a broken record concerning certain Rocks playing two ways , not full time but like a PC and others at the D-1 level using their most athletic kids on both sides situationally . I am in favor of using as many kids as you can program wise with a two platoon system with most kids playing one way but at times getting beat with your best athletes watching ON THE SIDLINES is tough. Situationally at least some of these kids need to go against the best athletes , if not there will be times you look up AND WATCH THE OTHE TEAM CELEBRATE A FEW TIMES A YEAR AS THEIR BEST GUY BEATS ONE OF YOUR STARTERS but not one of your BEST guys .

If you are alright with that? keep it the same as the last 5-6 years . never use anyone both ways , live with the result .