Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-19-18, 02:46 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Week 9 cont.

NC Hoover at Hartley - LP Line BH - 1

A tossup and a game that Hoover needs much more than Hartley . BH is in basically win or lose because they have St Charles next week . Chazz the thuuurd isn't going to beat the Hartley Jv's ? OK may be they give them a go.

Hoover has Mass Jackson next week a team that can beat them but a win vs Hartley could very well get them into the play-offs regardless of what happens next week.

Jalan January in the latest in a nice group of stud Hartley Rb's over the last few years or more. 1140 yards 15 Td's and Hartley should be able to run the ball as usual. BUT NC Hoover is battle tested , only losses have come against solid teams , very solid as McKinley is good as is Akron East. They have beaten everyone else. I am going to go with the team with more incentive here .

NC Hoover 24 Hartley 20 - I was up in Canton, not North Canton but close enough last weekend for the day. The Fat heads brewery in Canton is excellent . I like the Fat heads in North Olmstead which is more 'Sports Barsy" if you will but this was good. The Vikings win and the next came I am up there I find fat Heads and look for the Head Hunter IPA , share a giant pretzel and the Mushroom swiss burger was delicious . Jerzees is the best sports bar in that area and we saw the end of a few good College football games there. { The one near the Mall not the one nearest to the Hall of fame and stadium}
Old 10-19-18, 03:12 PM
All World

Week 9 cont.

Davidson at Marysville - LP Line HD - 21

Inflated line? Yes and no. Laying a lot of points when going vs a rush9ng team is dangerous. M-Ville runs the ball , A LOT. Coach White was talking n the press how M-Ville is not a 'Spread community" , they are doing what they should be doing he said. Well I see his point of course, probably something about the basic Demo's and attitude of that community .

M-Ville caught Coffman flat footed out of the gate and ran the ball well getting a 14-3 lead . Coffman eventually scored 17 and the game went overtime. Rocks had a tad over 400 yards offense . M-Ville got shut down in the second half for the most part with no scoring drives at all until the last minute and a half as they completed two long passes .

UA dominated this team last week which truth be told was surprising , I had UA winning and covering the small spread but 14-0 and dominating in yardage holding M-Vile to under 100 total yards was not something I saw coming.

I guess there is a lot more 'Spread " communities these days, speaking of what is the definition of a 'Spread " community? Coach White predictably said he was very impressed with Marysville which of course the running the ball dynamic is what he likes most. I don't disagree with him , per se and I don't think M-Ville should be running spread , BUT ironically the last time they had a real good team who made the play-offs they ran spread and had a kid named Mullholland I believe who threw the ball well to a nice collection of athletes. M-Ville has a really nice Frosh team , good line , farm strength ? At the younger levels , having a few really strong and or large lineman can be a huge advantage no pun intended . You simply pound the rock over and over and you run for big yards and win comfortably if the opponent can't match that size and strength . That disparity lessens usually by Jr. Sr. year and the program varsity coaches need to develop other aspects of their players and program

M-ville is a good team, but that UA game took something out of them , lost some confidence no doubt . Ego blow to get handled that way even if it was only 14 points . White usually over praises teams that remind him of his team and culture and talks as if they have qualities and levels of excellence they don't posses.

Davidson has taken care of UA{ as usual} and Coffman the last two weeks, they aren't coming out flat here when they smell the OCC Central banner coming out of it's box. Westland next week . M-ville will play hard, but Davidson grinds out a win here and limits the pedestrian offense to about what UA did . { 85 yards and a lot of punts ?} Would like to see Marysville do well here BUT Davidson is being told that M-Ville is a threat by
coaches Brian Holtz and Lou White .

Davidson 34 M-Ville 9 - if Lou White's boys get the cover ? I will take the advice of on of the good posters who suggested the Beer Barrell which I have driven by a few times. Looking at the menu for the first time I would likely try the Spinach and Artichoke dip which I relaly like generally , washed down with a Great Lakes Oktoberfest , and give either the Caprese wrap or the Buffalo chicken wrap a go.
Old 10-19-18, 03:33 PM
All World

WEEK 9 cont.

Pick Central at The Burg - LP Line PC -10

The Tigers aren't blowing teams away this year . Beat Davidson by 3 a lot of thanks to Davidson punting problems including a fumbled snap? Against Coffman he had a GREAT game { Of course he did } . Lackluster win vs Gahanna , weird loss to Lancaster a game they had no business losing , and a grind it out win vs PN where they couldn't run the ball themselves and gave up nice yardage on the ground them selves? if you simply saw that part of the stat line you guess PN won that game with all of your guesses.

They did limit the pass though which more than negated the rushing success. R-Burg is in the play-offs PERIOD, R-2 week 11 invitational is not that hard to gain entry to , you don't have to win a lot of ballgame apparently . Burg loses both of their remaining games ? they get a 2 Seed anyway .

This is all about the league title and pride. The Burg has a very good team talent wise and plays with a bit more discipline? Lost focus and Gahanna beat them last week giving them their first loss, PN game they were fortunate to win no question.

Really tough call . Does PC break out and finally really put it on someone in their conference ? Or is this one another close one? Burg is excited, and is playing with house money, PC is also in but would drop seed wise. { 2 to 4}?

Wouldn't bet this one with with Professor Jim Bennett's money { The Gambler} but I must in this exercise.

PC - 23 The Burg 14 - Narrow cover for the Burgers as they march forward at 7-2 and the Gaels awaiting for a real kind of meaningless game? This game is for the league title.
Old 10-19-18, 03:42 PM
All World

WEEK 9 cont.

DeSales at Winton Woods - LP- Line WW - 15

You look at comparative scores and you think ? Hmmm 15 is a lot of lumber here and may be I should grab it? Now I have recanted and made PN my BEST BET , but this one was going to be it and is still a stronger opinion .

It's a play-off game for SFD , WW is in the play-offs , so why am I thinking WW? SFD has QB issues, they can't score as easily as some teams they have to play this one being one of those teams . DeSales lost their best lineman early , lost their early lead and then lost their first 'Quasi play-off game?

Traveling this distance to play this type of team and needing to bring a team that can score a bundle of points when it can't is a bad recipe for a win . These are kids and the emotional loss last week in a winnable game is too much here along with the aforementioned reasons

WW 35 SFD 14 - Gallant fight for a while? Sure , but a sustained emotional and very good play? NO -
Old 10-19-18, 03:54 PM
All World

Central Crossing at UA - LP Line - UA - 15

Wishing Coach Cutler well in this trying time and the UA team as well. They have had some tough breaks the last couple years. New QB is getting experience for next year which is a lone positive in this situation . Bears are big and pretty strong. They limited the Davidson rushing game and stayed in the game physically but couldn't score , much like Coffman . They should score some here and limit the CC rush game. UA may be a bit mentally drained here losing their HC so suddenly . CC is a pretty physical team from what I saw , they also have some athletes .

I see the Bears winning this one but I think it may get a bit hairy as CC has some confidence from playing pretty well vs Coffman{ 27-9 } and beating Westland last week . UA also has Coffman a team they see as may be their top rival in football and definitely in basketball and Lacrosse recently .

Weird game , odd game?

UA 20 CC 10 - If the Comets get the cover like I think they may , a little help would be appreciated to find a place in the area of Central Crossing to quench my thirst and hunger pangs . Was there last year for Coffman game , I believe we were at Appleby's ? I want some thig better or different , although Appleby's can sometimes hit the spot.

Good luck to the teams in play-off like games and gunning for league titles{ Not you Davidson lol }
Old 10-22-18, 04:09 AM
All World

Weird week , not a great week going against Louie's line { 4-7-1 } losing some backdoor covers for a push { M-Ville} and loss { Darby with Delaware scoring late DeSales} and a team kicking a FG with 30 seconds left up 14{ UA} to cover the spread Hmm that was curious lol i? a couple bad misses and a couple easier WINS. It's as if it was homecoming at the MARV and they knew the alumni was betting heavily on the game lol.

First scrimmage to week 10 goes by faster in this sport than any other it seems . Many teams will be playing their last games including Seniors putting on the pads for the last time .

As I said right after the Davidson loss, Coffman would be wise to really sharpen up the passing attack in practice for the few week before the play-offs and also because they would need it vs UA and then the play-off opponents.

They featured this on Friday as Brown threw for 300 and backup Mathews threw for 50 . Jr. Williamson had a breakout game with 200 yards and 3 Td's .

UA defense has been really good in the last month not giving up points and yards on the ground , and that's what I was getting at two weeks ago.

UA gave up points earlier in the season to teams that threw the ball well { Winton Woods ran it a ton as well } and now the team has played run heavier teams { Davidson , M-Ville, CC, Westland is split but not efficient} they have been really stingy. Defense only gave up 10 to Davidson { One TD was a punt return} shut out Marysville in dominant fashion, and held CC down quite a bit last week .

these teams don't have the passing capabilities that Coffman has , Coffman can try to hammer the run al night and they will have trouble wining this game . They mix it up and keep them guessing? They can have success and win on Senior night. No reason to make yourself easier to defend . keep them on their heels , make them tackle in space and cover the whole field, their some of those big dudes up front by making them come after the passer.

Diallo made his first appearance since week 3 which was a good sign. Got used to being hit again . Drennan will probably playa little more slot this week and that's not good news for UA . Coffman has better match-up advantages in the back end of UA'S defense . UA has some good players up front with size and strength to do battel in the small phone booth areas . Coffman has some athletic advantages in other areas on the field. They should take advantage of those.

Hopefully the rest of the walking wounded can make an appearance to get some reps in before the play-offs start . it's a game to play for the Seniors , it won't be the last game at Coffman stadium as the Rocks have a home game next week vs and undetermined opponent but the many under classmen should be playing hard and well for the Seniors this week , it's their last hurrah and you don' t want them losing a game at home as a last memory.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 10-22-18 at 04:11 AM. Reason: psser
Old 10-22-18, 08:24 AM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Harry - I have to ask. I'll assume you watched the OSU-Purdue game Saturday night. During the 2nd half Herbstreit mentioned/complimented Hilliard Davidson and their football program a couple of times. I know it's tough when you lose a close one to your rival but having your rival acknowledge & recognized on national tv - that has to be rubbing salt into the wound. Hey, it was the only thing I got a laugh out of watching that game Saturday night - just an absolute butt kicking by the Boilermakers.

Nice game by Dublin Coffman Friday, they took it to Westland early. Big game this week vs UA, it will be interesting to see how the Shamrocks try to handle UA's dt Boston College commit Ness. Will they try to double him, run traps at him, run screen passes his way, X block him....I don't think Dublin can handle him one on one too often, he was pretty dominant on both sides of the ball in last year's game. Heck, he should be dominant - he's a D1 recruit (I hope OSU reconsiders him). I believe Reynoldsburg has a pretty good Dline so I'm sure they will be looking at this game to see how Dublin might attack them if the two are to meet in the playoffs.
Old 10-22-18, 09:31 AM
All World

Happy for Bailey , great HS player and tough kid and competitor . Absolutely had no effect on me mentioning HD on the Broadcast not wounded at all so salt was only put t on my steak on Saturday . Not a huge Bucs fan not having grown up around here . I believe Bailey was 2-3 against Coffman in his career . I think he has NFL potential
Old 10-22-18, 09:51 AM
Junior Varsity

Steelers24 is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity was Bailey redshirted at Davidson, is that how he went 2-3 against Coffman? Lol
Old 10-22-18, 10:25 AM
All World

Yeah goofball he was red shirted . You seem to be a trolly have things all figured out guy . So figure out the obvious ( yes it may not be obvious to you I realize ) I’ll give you hint smart Azz troll Ohio has a playoff system.
Old 10-22-18, 05:25 PM
All World

Brain teaser answer I was counting the three years Bailey played { 3 not Freshman year } and it was 5 games total two which came in the play-offs .

Herbstreit has mentioned MANY MANY CO High Schools over the years including Coffman, not sure what made anyone laugh but then again why ask why .

Bailey was only a three star and didn't run like the wind so the elitist Buckeyes obviously never considered him because they are well ------- THEM .

Something missing with the Buckeyes, bad vibe, momentum is poor, think their crap doesn't stink , looked like they were going through the motions at times, , arrogant, can just turn it on and don't have to play hardfor the full 60 . Football is an emotion game . For instance how do explain Fairmount , or is it Fairview? Fairborn ?? Whoever the team that gashed Wayne for 500 hundy and over 40 points and them got shut out by winless Centerville ?

Ohio State lost to a team that got beat up front by A DIRECTIONAL MICHIGAN TEAM ? BY 29 POINTS and their band of 4-5 star stud O-Lineman everyone wanted because they had the right number of stars after their name and were all huge and fit the suit? Checked boxes? Not what I saw all night , I saw a group of entitled players playing with no heart and little fire . Yes the guys they get to Ohio State to play defense for instance ALL want to go to the NFL and often leave early so you need to keep rebuilding it seems, it can be difficult but there is zero excuse for that . What are they paying Schiano? Can't tackle anyone ? Out schemed all night?

The only thing that made the bad vibe of this team tolerable I believe and the red flags{ defensive backs and Linebackers } from being as fully noticed was their smooth most NFL translatable QB they have had ? EVER? since when?

Getting back to HS , a few tidbits or randoms as I call them.

Davidson - Lancaster match-up which in entirely possible in round one would be a real slobberknocker . Carpenter hasn't had success in the play-offs in general but he doesn't like Davidson much and in the play-offs has been frustrated . He thinks them dirty actually. He has said it and I think this may be his best chance to beat them in the play-offs. They did beat them last year in the regular season. Yeah of course Davidson is prone to penalties at times, they are going to eventually get called for chop blocks if Refs are really looking for them . ON both sides of the ball actually . They got called twice for 30 yards vs Coffman and had a lot of penalty yards last week { Not sure they were chops but I think more personal foul late hit flags} .

They block low and they double team , it's bound to happen . On defesne they play a couple of smaller kids { 175, 195 200 } who sometimes turn into blockers themselves from what I saw. Pretty impressive thigh high block on a 275 pound tackle by a 200 pound kid that did get called{ I saw a few other iffy could have been called } , took him right down . Good lead block , except he was playing defense. Ooops. White in the press isn't happy with the conduct of his players he said.

That doesn't bode well for poor Westland . Last year Davidson took out their non play-off year frustration on them in week 10 and beat them by 60. This year with a better club and a pis32ed off Lou White ? 70 ?

I wonder if Mike Lowery or even Karter -Johnson are kind of regretting their decisions to leave before their Senior Yr. to go to Pick N and Pick C respectively? Probably not, , not sure what they both got out of the experience but they are probably no better or worse off for leaving I suppose. One had offers already and a commitment to TCU , and the other? Not sure then , not sure now.

PC isn't a state title contender IMO, and PN isn't in the play-offs. if they stay at Gahanna ? They would be a contender in a weaker R-2 ?

Olentangy felt first hand the sting of a school split . it seemed they were a few players away or a few plays away from wining about three of the games they lost . Orange will be a dangerous play-off team. Sometimes it isn't the best teams but the hot teams with momentum that are most dangerous .

Orange was MEH on a good day early , now? With Superman Harrison leading the way on both sides of the ball , and a possible sixth seed? Who wants to play them in R-2 ? Totally shot down Liberty who moved the ball well against some good teams previously{ 20 + points vs Davidson} .

PN vs. Gahanna is an interesting match-up both teams have little to play for, and I don't think the kids have real bad feelings for Lowery, but lets face it, the Gahanna QB has a lot to play for and Gahanna while already in the play-offs wants to prove a point and show Lowery that may be going back " Home" wasn't such a great idea after all . ?

PC a 5th seed possibly? Who would have though that pre-season? NO ONE . I was wrong obviously as I thought it was PC and PN with a gap between them and a handful of good teams that were a cut below them . That hasn't turned out to be true. More parity than I anticipated .

Really on a given day in the right circumstance and match-up a handful of teams can appear to be the best team in the region on a given day .

PC still has the most talent and size combo ? D-Line is beast like and their athletes can make big plays at any time . PN still has the athletes but has O-line issues that I saw in person and defense isn't always sound , can be run on and get hit with big plays. I do believe the local experts in Picktown are correct when saying Jimmy Football covered up a few weaknesses pretty well .

R-Burg as Jarrod Ulrey stated in his column used to be more known as a school that kids transferred from to go to the Pickeringtons than a consistent winner. That was true at one time . It isn't now . They have some nasty players up front and some playmakers on offense. It isn't a well oiled offensive machine but they do make big plays when needed. Probably the favorite in R-2 . Game with Lancaster could be a tough one to be at full emotional readiness for Burg. Gaels are hot they are confident and they are making plays that are winning games for them . BIG plays that weren't making early on . Pulling for them to get the W and a berth .
Old 10-22-18, 06:08 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Can UA lose to Coffman and still make the playoffs? I think they can but don't know all of possibilities.
Old 10-22-18, 06:44 PM
All District

Saltlife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Brain teaser answer I was counting the three years Bailey played { 3 not Freshman year } and it was 5 games total two which came in the play-offs .

Herbstreit has mentioned MANY MANY CO High Schools over the years including Coffman, not sure what made anyone laugh but then again why ask why .

Bailey was only a three star and didn't run like the wind so the elitist Buckeyes obviously never considered him because they are well ------- THEM .

Something missing with the Buckeyes, bad vibe, momentum is poor, think their crap doesn't stink , looked like they were going through the motions at times, , arrogant, can just turn it on and don't have to play hardfor the full 60 . Football is an emotion game . For instance how do explain Fairmount , or is it Fairview? Fairborn ?? Whoever the team that gashed Wayne for 500 hundy and over 40 points and them got shut out by winless Centerville ?

Ohio State lost to a team that got beat up front by A DIRECTIONAL MICHIGAN TEAM ? BY 29 POINTS and their band of 4-5 star stud O-Lineman everyone wanted because they had the right number of stars after their name and were all huge and fit the suit? Checked boxes? Not what I saw all night , I saw a group of entitled players playing with no heart and little fire . Yes the guys they get to Ohio State to play defense for instance ALL want to go to the NFL and often leave early so you need to keep rebuilding it seems, it can be difficult but there is zero excuse for that . What are they paying Schiano? Can't tackle anyone ? Out schemed all night?

The only thing that made the bad vibe of this team tolerable I believe and the red flags{ defensive backs and Linebackers } from being as fully noticed was their smooth most NFL translatable QB they have had ? EVER? since when?

Getting back to HS , a few tidbits or randoms as I call them.

Davidson - Lancaster match-up which in entirely possible in round one would be a real slobberknocker . Carpenter hasn't had success in the play-offs in general but he doesn't like Davidson much and in the play-offs has been frustrated . He thinks them dirty actually. He has said it and I think this may be his best chance to beat them in the play-offs. They did beat them last year in the regular season. Yeah of course Davidson is prone to penalties at times, they are going to eventually get called for chop blocks if Refs are really looking for them . ON both sides of the ball actually . They got called twice for 30 yards vs Coffman and had a lot of penalty yards last week { Not sure they were chops but I think more personal foul late hit flags} .

They block low and they double team , it's bound to happen . On defesne they play a couple of smaller kids { 175, 195 200 } who sometimes turn into blockers themselves from what I saw. Pretty impressive thigh high block on a 275 pound tackle by a 200 pound kid that did get called{ I saw a few other iffy could have been called } , took him right down . Good lead block , except he was playing defense. Ooops. White in the press isn't happy with the conduct of his players he said.

That doesn't bode well for poor Westland . Last year Davidson took out their non play-off year frustration on them in week 10 and beat them by 60. This year with a better club and a pis32ed off Lou White ? 70 ?

I wonder if Mike Lowery or even Karter -Johnson are kind of regretting their decisions to leave before their Senior Yr. to go to Pick N and Pick C respectively? Probably not, , not sure what they both got out of the experience but they are probably no better or worse off for leaving I suppose. One had offers already and a commitment to TCU , and the other? Not sure then , not sure now.

PC isn't a state title contender IMO, and PN isn't in the play-offs. if they stay at Gahanna ? They would be a contender in a weaker R-2 ?

Olentangy felt first hand the sting of a school split . it seemed they were a few players away or a few plays away from wining about three of the games they lost . Orange will be a dangerous play-off team. Sometimes it isn't the best teams but the hot teams with momentum that are most dangerous .

Orange was MEH on a good day early , now? With Superman Harrison leading the way on both sides of the ball , and a possible sixth seed? Who wants to play them in R-2 ? Totally shot down Liberty who moved the ball well against some good teams previously{ 20 + points vs Davidson} .

PN vs. Gahanna is an interesting match-up both teams have little to play for, and I don't think the kids have real bad feelings for Lowery, but lets face it, the Gahanna QB has a lot to play for and Gahanna while already in the play-offs wants to prove a point and show Lowery that may be going back " Home" wasn't such a great idea after all . ?

PC a 5th seed possibly? Who would have though that pre-season? NO ONE . I was wrong obviously as I thought it was PC and PN with a gap between them and a handful of good teams that were a cut below them . That hasn't turned out to be true. More parity than I anticipated .

Really on a given day in the right circumstance and match-up a handful of teams can appear to be the best team in the region on a given day .

PC still has the most talent and size combo ? D-Line is beast like and their athletes can make big plays at any time . PN still has the athletes but has O-line issues that I saw in person and defense isn't always sound , can be run on and get hit with big plays. I do believe the local experts in Picktown are correct when saying Jimmy Football covered up a few weaknesses pretty well .

R-Burg as Jarrod Ulrey stated in his column used to be more known as a school that kids transferred from to go to the Pickeringtons than a consistent winner. That was true at one time . It isn't now . They have some nasty players up front and some playmakers on offense. It isn't a well oiled offensive machine but they do make big plays when needed. Probably the favorite in R-2 . Game with Lancaster could be a tough one to be at full emotional readiness for Burg. Gaels are hot they are confident and they are making plays that are winning games for them . BIG plays that weren't making early on . Pulling for them to get the W and a berth .
good post as always however, believe it or not, pn has a chance to be in playoffs with a win. i know hard to believe
Old 10-22-18, 06:59 PM
All World

Yes I knew mathematically they did but probably a long shot . I think they probably beat Gahanna and finish 6-4 and lament the loss to R-Burg which is a game they had in control most of the way . Good luck to them getting in .
Old 10-22-18, 08:43 PM
All District

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Orange finally put together the game we've been looking for all year, but the fact that they've not been able to prior to that is still incredibly damning for the coaching staff. They just have no pop on offense at all and have to rely completely on defensive play.

When you run into someone who can outcoach you on offense (which in this case isn't that hard) and has similar talent, it spells trouble when your offense can't consistently score.

I hold no hope for Orange's chances in the playoffs at all. Agree if they play that Liberty game again there are a few teams they could beat, but I don't think they can beat Coffman or Rburg. A Whitmer matchup would be fun, though highly unlikely, so that their ridiculous fanbase can see how overmatched their lines are again.

Of slight interest is Tangy's R8 possibility. If they can manage a win against Westy Central, they need some teams above them to lose, which actually is somewhat possible. Drew50 rates it a 1 in 5 chance if they beat WC, which sounds about right, but stranger things have happened.

Regardless of the outcome, the real shame as I mentioned in the R8 thread is that there are going to be 3 or 4 teams that DO make the R8 playoffs playing tomato cans from D2 and 3 all year and wouldn't be able to come within 3 TDs of Tangy. Playoff system must be changed to score every game for every team, win or lose, there are plenty of computer models available to do it, it's time to stop living in the 1900s
Old 10-23-18, 06:42 AM
All American

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
HC, I have always thought highly of the talent in Reynoldsburg. To think their best talent usually heads to PC or PN is juvenile. Percentage wise the transfer rate is probably .05% if one looks at the last 20 yrs. Prime example:Rosie Nix (outstanding player who stayed at Rburg). But people can beat that drum all they want WGAF? The difference from Picktown/Reynoldsburg is one has a team and one has a program. It's that simple. The winds of change are blowing in Tomato town and I'm glad to see it. Good for them. PC is getting ready to put their tourney team together and will make their debute' in a couple weeks. I hope Lancaster gets in at #8 and faces HD, fun to watch. Their hand-picked officials will be on display for all this Thurs. and will have to behave....we'll see though. No 5 down drives for the Gales this week.