Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-17, 10:32 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 34,709
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Huber Heights Wayne 28 Springfield 13

Springfield Wildcats (6-2) @ Huber Heights Wayne Warriors (6-2)

Huge rivalry game with the winner a guaranteed spot in the region 3 playoffs. Packed house. Springfield opened up the game with the ball and moved the chains as Taylor was drilling his receivers. The Cats got the board first when Taylor hit Johsnon from 8 yards out 7-0 Springfield... Wayne did not do much on their first possession and had to punt. Wayne was able to get the ball back following an interception but a huge unsportsman like penalty set them back. Facing a 4th and long McKee threw the ball up and Smith went up and snagged it from 25 yards out.... PAT is good, 7-7.

Wayne made it 14-7 in the 2nd qtr when McKee threaded a pass to Victoria who broke free for a TD from 42 yards out.... 14-7 Wayne. Wayne could not take advantage of good field position and fumbled away another possession as the defenses were stepping up. Late in the 2nd Taylor threw a bomb and somehow the Springfield WR was able to bring it in at the 4. Next play Smoot ran it in for a TD... the PAT though was blocked... Wayne 14 Springfield 13 at the half.

Both team struggled running the ball in the first especially Wayne who had negative yards rushing. Springfield did not do much better but had the edge in yardage by about 100 yards...

Wayne's defense played much better in the 2nd half though they did give up some yards on the ground but they did not break and flat out got it done defending the pass getting two more picks. Wayne offensively had troubles with the snap but they were able to get a score on the board in the 3rd when McKee connected with Smith from 29 yards out making it 21-13.

4th qtr Wayne put it away with another passing TD as McKee found Mullins from 20 yards out. Springfield shot themselves in the foot with penalties in the 2nd half and Taylor did not have much time to throw getting sacked 4 times. Final Wayne 28 Springfield 23

Game Stats:

Total Yards Wayne 343 Springfield 286 (less than 50 in the 2nd half)
Rushing: Wayne 17 Springfield 86
Passing: Wayne 326 Springfield 200
Turnovers: Wayne 1 Springfield 3

Individual Wayne Stats:

QB McKee 21-32 326 4 TD's
RB Williams 8 for 27 yards
WR Victoria 10-186 1 TD
WR Smith 6-86 2 TD
WR Mullins 3-32 1 TD
WR Bom 1-10
WR Turner 1-12

Harris, Ross, and Johnson all got interceptions....

Springfield

QB Taylor 15-27 200 1 TD 3 INT
RB Smoot 12-63 1 TD
RB King 8-33
WR Stephens 4-85
WR Johsnon 4-74 1 TD
WR Jones 4-31

===================================

Up next for Wayne is another huge rivalry game at #1 Trotwood (9-0)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-21-17, 07:53 AM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Great win Warriors!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-17, 08:40 AM
buckeye1689 buckeye1689 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-22-16
Location: Huber Heights
Posts: 460
buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
Springfield had 16 penalties for 160 yards...ugly. Impressed by Taylor, very good athlete and a cannon for an arm
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-17, 10:09 AM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 34,709
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1689 View Post
Springfield had 16 penalties for 160 yards...ugly. Impressed by Taylor, very good athlete and a cannon for an arm
The Springfield DB's were getting beat deep and had no choice but to bring down the receivers and only giving up a 15 yard penalty compared to a huge pass play.... holding penalties killed both teams as both defenses were putting pressure on the QB's. It is those pre-snap penalties that are killers.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-17, 10:15 AM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
The Springfield DB's were getting beat deep and had no choice but to bring down the receivers and only giving up a 15 yard penalty compared to a huge pass play.... holding penalties killed both teams as both defenses were putting pressure on the QB's. It is those pre-snap penalties that are killers.....

I canít remember a season where we have had this many illegal man downfield penalties!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-17, 10:28 PM
Hawk1959 Hawk1959 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-06
Location: Mont. County
Posts: 1,349
Hawk1959 is on a distinguished road
There were some dumb penalties in the second half that showed Springfield players getting frustrated. The personal foul after the whistle where Blu got knocked to the ground in front of a zebra... and then a Springfield player getting verbal with a zebra. I was floored at the number of yards Springfield lost due to the flags. I can not say it was bad calling in general but Springfield has to wonder what the score could have been if they did not keep hurting themselves.

Springfield has talent... impressed by Taylor and the running back Smoot... great players.

I am glad no injuries on ether side
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-17, 10:48 AM
Warrior2457 Warrior2457 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-24-14
Posts: 134
Warrior2457 is on a distinguished road
Region 3 is wide open for the taking this year. No one seems to have separated themselves from the pack like the last few years. I really think Wayne has the talent to beat anyone in the state despite some struggles this year, but right now I think the downfall of this Wayne team is going to be their insistence on giving Coach Williams' son so much playing time at running back. Not trying to rip on the kid too much (I am sure he is a hard worker) but he goes about 5'5 maybe 160lbs and probably runs around a 5 second 40. With all of the athletes and talent they have at their disposal is that really the best they can put out there at running back? Several times against Springfield, Wayne's oline opened up huge holes and he ends up with just 4 to 5 yard gains on what should be big plays. Plus he was useless in pass protection trying to help block Taylor from Springfield off the edge. Again, not trying to blame the kid, but he would not be on the field for Wayne if his dad wasn't the running backs coach.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-22-17, 01:36 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 34,709
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Well, when the first string and 2nd string go down with injuries he is going to play. He did not get any carries before that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-22-17, 02:29 PM
Warrior2457 Warrior2457 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-24-14
Posts: 134
Warrior2457 is on a distinguished road
As I recall they started the coach's son the first game of the year, but he got injured that game and then did not dress for several weeks. Seemed like Kinnel was physically fine and visibly frustrated that he wasn't in the game more against Springfield. Even if he was injured they have far better athletes they could put out there at running back. Its not like they run anything complex and would be tough for someone to learn. It's just blatant nepotism.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-17, 06:36 PM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
I did not realize that was Coach Williams' son. I am not sure what was going on with Kinnel. He looked fine warming up before the game. He fumbled on his only snap in the first half. I was glad to see him back after limping off the field last week. The interception by #21 was a great play. He picked off a bullet. I'm not sure why they don't use him on short yardage plays. Have him line up in the backfield as the fullback and let him lead the play. Wayne has done that a lot through the years. I certainly don't want to see Wayne tip their hand with new plays but #21 would help on offense and so would #12 and #13.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-24-17, 08:19 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,586
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk1959 View Post
There were some dumb penalties in the second half that showed Springfield players getting frustrated. The personal foul after the whistle where Blu got knocked to the ground in front of a zebra... and then a Springfield player getting verbal with a zebra. I was floored at the number of yards Springfield lost due to the flags. I can not say it was bad calling in general but Springfield has to wonder what the score could have been if they did not keep hurting themselves.

Springfield has talent... impressed by Taylor and the running back Smoot... great players.

I am glad no injuries on ether side
However,no one has pointed out,not suprisingly either,the most crucial call of the game that happened early in the third quarter when the frosh receiver caught a 3 yard shoot route,took 3 steps upfield,stiff-armed the first tackler when the Springfield safety put his shoulder pad on the ball and the ball flew out his hands, Springfield scoops it up and walks in for the score and the lead(14-13 Wayne at the time) and momentum but it was ruled an incomplete pass! Two plays later Wayne scores. That clearly was the turning point of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-17, 09:22 AM
purplenova purplenova is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-15-04
Posts: 1,411
purplenova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk1959 View Post
There were some dumb penalties in the second half that showed Springfield players getting frustrated. The personal foul after the whistle where Blu got knocked to the ground in front of a zebra... and then a Springfield player getting verbal with a zebra. I was floored at the number of yards Springfield lost due to the flags. I can not say it was bad calling in general but Springfield has to wonder what the score could have been if they did not keep hurting themselves.

Springfield has talent... impressed by Taylor and the running back Smoot... great players.

I am glad no injuries on ether side
Was on the sideline and was watching one of the Springfield coach's running up and down the line complaining
that the ref was arguing with a minor, to the point of laying blame on the ref, for the flag. I couldnt stop laughing....

Also, on the pass interference near the endzone, when the DB mugged the receiver. The chain gang box guy started to move on the 15 yard penalty
before the actual call and coach "Doug" was talking to him.... nothing bad, just a gentle reminder he shouldnt move... so he went back.... lol
He knew he shouldnt have moved, but the call was going to be obvious 15 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-17, 09:36 AM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
However,no one has pointed out,not suprisingly either,the most crucial call of the game that happened early in the third quarter when the frosh receiver caught a 3 yard shoot route,took 3 steps upfield,stiff-armed the first tackler when the Springfield safety put his shoulder pad on the ball and the ball flew out his hands, Springfield scoops it up and walks in for the score and the lead(14-13 Wayne at the time) and momentum but it was ruled an incomplete pass! Two plays later Wayne scores. That clearly was the turning point of the game.
I didn't see the three steps you mentioned. That play occurred right on the yard line my seats are on...he caught the ball, turned, and got popped. That's an incomplete pass at every level.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-17, 10:07 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,586
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
I didn't see the three steps you mentioned. That play occurred right on the yard line my seats are on...he caught the ball, turned, and got popped. That's an incomplete pass at every level.
I was on Springfield's sideline maybe 10 feet away. Anyway,that doesn't make sense. If he caught the ball which is what I said happened how is it an incomplete pass? For the pass to be complete you have to have possession of the ball that's a completion in high school and you further validate my statement that it was a catch by saying he turned.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-17, 10:28 AM
waynefan92 waynefan92 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-30-14
Posts: 24
waynefan92 is on a distinguished road
I honestly thought it was a fumble, he caught the ball turned and took at least 2 steps up field
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-24-17, 11:08 AM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I was on Springfield's sideline maybe 10 feet away. Anyway,that doesn't make sense. If he caught the ball which is what I said happened how is it an incomplete pass? For the pass to be complete you have to have possession of the ball that's a completion in high school and you further validate my statement that it was a catch by saying he turned.
I work with an official that is a side judge. I just spoke with him. The first thing he said was that we had a really good crew Friday night. I told him what I saw and obviously he didn't see it and has to use how I described it. One thing we didn't previously state but besides the side judge ruling it incomplete, the back judge also immediately came in and ruled it incomplete. He said that is an important fact.

My co-worker talked about the judgment of the call. He said there isn't a rule that says two steps, one step, three steps...etc. It's all about evaluating when the receiver becomes a runner. Obviously two officials saw it the same way Friday night...doesn't mean they were right...just consistent. He said based on what I told him, and again, you have to factor in my version of the story, that is, I am trying to keep it fair and unbiased, he said he would have also ruled incomplete.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-24-17, 12:46 PM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,586
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
I work with an official that is a side judge. I just spoke with him. The first thing he said was that we had a really good crew Friday night. I told him what I saw and obviously he didn't see it and has to use how I described it. One thing we didn't previously state but besides the side judge ruling it incomplete, the back judge also immediately came in and ruled it incomplete. He said that is an important fact.

My co-worker talked about the judgment of the call. He said there isn't a rule that says two steps, one step, three steps...etc. It's all about evaluating when the receiver becomes a runner. Obviously two officials saw it the same way Friday night...doesn't mean they were right...just consistent. He said based on what I told him, and again, you have to factor in my version of the story, that is, I am trying to keep it fair and unbiased, he said he would have also ruled incomplete.
You're not that bright I see I'm not questioning the steps my point is that it was a bad call that clearly swung the momentum. I don't care who you talked to.
Just a suggestion,you don't have to follow it but maybe you should start previewing your posts because once again you contradict yourself. When you tell your side of a story especially to someone that wasn't there,that is YOUR BIASED OPINION! I could care less about what 10 other people said THEY WEREN'T THERE! You can tell them anything to make it sound like your version is right. That proves nothing!

Ask your fellow Wayne poster that was there and said it was clearly a "catch and fumble!"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-17, 01:21 PM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
You're not that bright I see I'm not questioning the steps my point is that it was a bad call that clearly swung the momentum. I don't care who you talked to.
Just a suggestion,you don't have to follow it but maybe you should start previewing your posts because once again you contradict yourself. When you tell your side of a story especially to someone that wasn't there,that is YOUR BIASED OPINION! I could care less about what 10 other people said THEY WEREN'T THERE! You can tell them anything to make it sound like your version is right. That proves nothing!

Ask your fellow Wayne poster that was there and said it was clearly a "catch and fumble!"
Actually I am very bright as my mom and dad always called me "son".

I get what you're saying...IF that play would have stood, then YES, it was a momentum shift. There, are you happy now? Good thing for Wayne though that my fellow Wayne poster was not on the field. Two qualified officials, that were both there within yards of the play, called it, very QUICKLY I might add, an INCOMPLETE pass. I believe you're arguing more that the play was a fumble and less on the momentum shift...maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-17, 04:27 PM
Geno1 Geno1 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-08-07
Posts: 448
Geno1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
Actually I am very bright as my mom and dad always called me "son".

I get what you're saying...IF that play would have stood, then YES, it was a momentum shift. There, are you happy now? Good thing for Wayne though that my fellow Wayne poster was not on the field. Two qualified officials, that were both there within yards of the play, called it, very QUICKLY I might add, an INCOMPLETE pass. I believe you're arguing more that the play was a fumble and less on the momentum shift...maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.
So what you're saying is that, in the judgement of the officials, the receiver did not yet have "control" of the pass when he was hit and lost the ball. Correct?

And, to this end, he must have "control" before he is considered to be a runner.

I think we have all seen similar calls and explanations in both college and the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-24-17, 04:36 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 34,709
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
However,no one has pointed out,not suprisingly either,the most crucial call of the game that happened early in the third quarter when the frosh receiver caught a 3 yard shoot route,took 3 steps upfield,stiff-armed the first tackler when the Springfield safety put his shoulder pad on the ball and the ball flew out his hands, Springfield scoops it up and walks in for the score and the lead(14-13 Wayne at the time) and momentum but it was ruled an incomplete pass! Two plays later Wayne scores. That clearly was the turning point of the game.
oh wow, I watched film of that play and boy did you over did it. He took one step and did not get a 2nd foot down when the ball was knocked loose. It could of gone either way and I am not 100% sure what is a catch by high school standards but it would not have been a catch in College and Pro. It was a big play but likely the right call.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-24-17, 05:33 PM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno1 View Post
So what you're saying is that, in the judgement of the officials, the receiver did not yet have "control" of the pass when he was hit and lost the ball. Correct?



And, to this end, he must have "control" before he is considered to be a runner.



I think we have all seen similar calls and explanations in both college and the NFL.

Geno,

That is correct.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-25-17, 07:46 AM
Zezzo! Zezzo! is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-11
Posts: 1,586
Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
oh wow, I watched film of that play and boy did you over did it. He took one step and did not get a 2nd foot down when the ball was knocked loose. It could of gone either way and I am not 100% sure what is a catch by high school standards but it would not have been a catch in College and Pro. It was a big play but likely the right call.
I'm not surprised that you would see it that way you're the ultimate Wayne homer! You give full play-by-play reports on every Wayne game for years so of course you'd say it was the right call. Sometimes I think you're Jay Minton!
I saw the film and was on the sideline 10 feet away! he took more than one step and stiff-armed the the man that was on him that's how the safety was able to get pad to the ball!

Doesn't matter I'm positive though if it was the other way around you'd argue that it was a catch and fumble.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-25-17, 04:25 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 34,709
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I'm not surprised that you would see it that way you're the ultimate Wayne homer! You give full play-by-play reports on every Wayne game for years so of course you'd say it was the right call. Sometimes I think you're Jay Minton!
I saw the film and was on the sideline 10 feet away! he took more than one step and stiff-armed the the man that was on him that's how the safety was able to get pad to the ball!

Doesn't matter I'm positive though if it was the other way around you'd argue that it was a catch and fumble.
Watching it again, super slow mo.... one step gets hit, ball is loose, whistle blown. No way he took 3 steps with control of the ball. Of course if it happened against Wayne I would argue the other way. It was a 50/50 call that could of gone the other way but a rarity that it actually went Wayne's way.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-25-17, 04:47 PM
Warrior78's Avatar
Warrior78 Warrior78 is offline
Proud Dad of a US Marine
 
Join Date: 10-05-05
Location: Warrior Way
Posts: 2,939
Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
I'm not surprised that you would see it that way you're the ultimate Wayne homer! You give full play-by-play reports on every Wayne game for years so of course you'd say it was the right call. Sometimes I think you're Jay Minton!

I saw the film and was on the sideline 10 feet away! he took more than one step and stiff-armed the the man that was on him that's how the safety was able to get pad to the ball!



Doesn't matter I'm positive though if it was the other way around you'd argue that it was a catch and fumble.

10 feet away? Just a little over three yards? What is your role with the team then if you were in fact that close to the play? Are you Moís assistant? That statement and your argument here gives me even further proof that you are arguing the outcome of that play and not just the alleged momentum swing you originally cited.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huber Heights Wayne 35 Fairmont 28 vamp2syd Football 15 10-15-17 08:10 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 42 Beavercreek 14 vamp2syd Football 8 10-07-17 09:11 AM
Huber Heights Wayne 38 Northmont 35 vamp2syd Football 8 09-23-17 01:11 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 56 Miamisburg 28 vamp2syd Football 17 09-19-17 06:18 PM
Huber Heights Wayne 34 Clarkson North 21 vamp2syd Football 3 09-09-17 08:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz