Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1051  
Old 11-22-16, 10:02 PM
sapientia et veritas sapientia et veritas is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-07-13
Posts: 1,787
sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Look, this is a mother of a play. The official on the near sideline at the 50 has a ton to deal with, as do the others. It's an unusual play which further makes it difficult to officiate.

Not many officials would want this play in their lap.
Yes. A five man crew can't do it. That's why I defer to the guys on the field. They do the best they can.
Reply With Quote
  #1052  
Old 11-23-16, 04:48 AM
SportsGenius SportsGenius is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 02-04-13
Posts: 2,207
SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
The requirement for 4 players to be on one side of the kicker remains through the kick. I've seen a video clip of the play and it's questionable whether or not the requirement was met.
all it takes is a screenshot of the video. I shared one in the x/sycamore thread. The 4th guy on the kicking team was clearly on the correct side of the kicker at the time of the kick so there is no flag there.
Reply With Quote
  #1053  
Old 11-23-16, 07:10 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGenius View Post
all it takes is a screenshot of the video. I shared one in the x/sycamore thread. The 4th guy on the kicking team was clearly on the correct side of the kicker at the time of the kick so there is no flag there.
The video does not give you a true look because of the angle. (Sort if like the view of a pitch on TV from behind the pitcher) Like I said prior, it's inconclusive in my opinion.

The person with the best look at this on field is the Referee, who should be positioned downfield and in line with the kicker.
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 11-23-16, 09:05 AM
sapientia et veritas sapientia et veritas is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-07-13
Posts: 1,787
sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGenius View Post
all it takes is a screenshot of the video. I shared one in the x/sycamore thread. The 4th guy on the kicking team was clearly on the correct side of the kicker at the time of the kick so there is no flag there.
That screenshot you posted was a moment before the kick. Too hard to tell from the video where he was at the time of the kick. Clearly he was on the correct side of the hash mark of where the ball was teed up, but his body could have been as much or more behind the kicker than beside him. Guess they'll need to clarify what "on each side" means as well. Either way, the officials on the field didn't call it, so it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 11-23-16, 09:45 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
That screenshot you posted was a moment before the kick. Too hard to tell from the video where he was at the time of the kick.
If even part of his body is past the ball it is a foul. But even if that is the case, the kicking team gained no unfair advantage from the player's action. I realize that he is the player that recovered the kick, but that is mostly a matter of luck. He was the safety, and kind of jogged to his final position. He could have been three steps farther away and still would have recovered the kick.

The only official who has the angle to see whether he is past the ball is the referee, and he is 60 yards away with at least one player, the kicker, blocking his view.

Last edited by chs1971; 11-23-16 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 11-23-16, 12:25 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
If even part of his body is past the ball it is a foul. But even if that is the case, the kicking team gained no unfair advantage from the player's action. I realize that he is the player that recovered the kick, but that is mostly a matter of luck. He was the safety, and kind of jogged to his final position. He could have been three steps farther away and still would have recovered the kick.

The only official who has the angle to see whether he is past the ball is the referee, and he is 60 yards away with at least one player, the kicker, blocking his view.
Agreed 100%
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 11-23-16, 07:27 PM
onehand onehand is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-27-13
Posts: 72
onehand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Agreed 100%
Sorry, late to the party... curious why the flag was picked up. Anyone have any contact with the crew to answer that question?
Reply With Quote
  #1058  
Old 11-23-16, 10:50 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehand View Post
Sorry, late to the party... curious why the flag was picked up. Anyone have any contact with the crew to answer that question?
Haven't talked to anyone but knowing the mechanics on this play, my guess is that he threw the flag because of the trajectory of the ball. Probably did it to cover a potential kick catch interference call.

However, since the ball was driven off the tee and into the ground, KCI does not apply
Reply With Quote
  #1059  
Old 11-27-16, 08:18 AM
Captain_Cavman Captain_Cavman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-01-15
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 304
Captain_Cavman is on a distinguished road
In light of the court case my question is this.

Can a quarter end on a penalty, be it offensive or defensive?
Reply With Quote
  #1060  
Old 11-27-16, 10:25 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cavman View Post
In light of the court case my question is this.

Can a quarter end on a penalty, be it offensive or defensive?
Yes, if the penalty includes a loss of down. In those cases the down is not replayed, so the period is not extended by an untimed down.

Allsports 12 writes better than I do and is welcome to explain in greater detail.
Reply With Quote
  #1061  
Old 11-27-16, 05:48 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cavman View Post
In light of the court case my question is this.

Can a quarter end on a penalty, be it offensive or defensive?
If the penalty is accepted for the foul, regardless who commits it, there shall be an untimed down, unless......

- the foul was unsportsmanlike in nature
- the foul was committed by a non-player
- the foul specifies a loss of down
- the enforcement of the foul by rule results in a safety
- the fouls by the defense that are enforced on the subsequent kickoff
- the foul by the defense during a successful try or field goal results in
enforcement of the foul from the succeeding spot (kickoff)
Reply With Quote
  #1062  
Old 12-03-16, 07:02 PM
Andy27 Andy27 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-28-16
Posts: 752
Andy27 is on a distinguished road
What is the rule on running a play while the TV broadcast is in commercials?
Reply With Quote
  #1063  
Old 12-03-16, 10:37 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
What is the rule on running a play while the TV broadcast is in commercials?
Unless there are some instructions specific to the state finals, there is no rule.

Last edited by AllSports12; 12-03-16 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1064  
Old 12-03-16, 11:21 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
What is the rule on running a play while the TV broadcast is in commercials?
If a play went off during a break, then all you had was a play going off during the break. Happens from time to time at all levels.
Reply With Quote
  #1065  
Old 12-03-16, 11:24 PM
Andy27 Andy27 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-28-16
Posts: 752
Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
If a play went off during a break, then all you had was a play going off during the break. Happens from time to time at all levels.

Is there any provision that would have them replay a down because of a TV break?

Last edited by AllSports12; 12-03-16 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1066  
Old 12-03-16, 11:42 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,292
serpico is on a distinguished road
Team A, which has no time-outs, is driving for a go-ahead score with the clock at 0:36. On a first-down play, Team A's QB fumbles while being sacked and his teammate recovers. Under what scenario(s) would the clock stop after such a recovery?
Reply With Quote
  #1067  
Old 12-03-16, 11:47 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
Is there any provision that would have them replay a down because of a TV break?
There never has been to this point.

Before everyone goes off half cocked...... maybe we should find out exactly what happened before we make any assumptions of who "screwed up".
Reply With Quote
  #1068  
Old 12-03-16, 11:49 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Team A, which has no time-outs, is driving for a go-ahead score with the clock at 0:36. On a first-down play, Team A's QB fumbles while being sacked and his teammate recovers. Under what scenario(s) would the clock stop after such a recovery?
No, the clock continues to run unless it was unclear who recovered the fumble. It would start again once it was ruled in possession inbounds by the offense.
Reply With Quote
  #1069  
Old 12-04-16, 06:30 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
There never has been to this point.

Before everyone goes off half cocked...... maybe we should find out exactly what happened before we make any assumptions of who "screwed up".
The officials did not see the TV production guy standing at the opposite end of the field, marked the ball ready to play, and the offense snapped the ball. After the play the Referee used his microphone to announce that the play should not have happened and asked the scoreboard operator to put time back on the clock.
Reply With Quote
  #1070  
Old 12-04-16, 08:53 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
The officials did not see the TV production guy standing at the opposite end of the field, marked the ball ready to play, and the offense snapped the ball. After the play the Referee used his microphone to announce that the play should not have happened and asked the scoreboard operator to put time back on the clock.

And their pre-game instructions addressing this situation were...... ?
Was this decision made solely from the 5 officials (6 with the alternate on the sideline....who commuicates with the press box) on the field?
Was this discussed up in the press box with the TV/OHSAA personnel?

Unless you have all the answers (from the people directly involved) to the questions, you are speculating. Please stop.

Last edited by AllSports12; 12-04-16 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1071  
Old 12-04-16, 12:31 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Unless you have all the answers (from the people directly involved) to the questions, you are speculating. Please stop.
I'm not speculating about what I saw and heard.
Reply With Quote
  #1072  
Old 12-04-16, 01:16 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I'm not speculating about what I saw and heard.
Did you talk to any of those listed above?

Last edited by AllSports12; 12-04-16 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1073  
Old 12-04-16, 04:14 PM
serpico serpico is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-22-07
Posts: 2,292
serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Did you talk to any of those listed above?
Clearly not, but this thread IS called Ask The Ref. We're just looking for your take on this.
Reply With Quote
  #1074  
Old 12-04-16, 04:21 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Clearly not, but this thread IS called Ask The Ref. We're just looking for your take on this.
He made a statement about the officials that had no basis in fact. (I deleted it)

My take on this is clear. I posted what the norm is, but allowed for something outside of the norm to have taken place. Until I or anyone has spoken to the parties involved, (I've spoken to two) it's all speculation.

If anyone wants to harp on it, uninformed, outside of this thread, they are encouraged to open up a thread in the main football forum.
Reply With Quote
  #1075  
Old 12-04-16, 07:42 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Until I or anyone has spoken to the parties involved, (I've spoken to two) ...
So what was their explanation?
Reply With Quote
  #1076  
Old 12-04-16, 07:47 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
So what was their explanation?
Haven't talked to enough people to get the whole story...

Until I do, (and if I do) the matter is closed here.
Reply With Quote
  #1077  
Old 12-04-16, 08:43 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Haven't talked to enough people to get the whole story...

Until I do, (and if I do) the matter is closed here.
Fair enough.

I think you do a great job here. I have no problem with you telling me to back off when you need to.
Reply With Quote
  #1078  
Old 12-22-16, 05:39 AM
stusdisciple stusdisciple is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-29-15
Posts: 7
stusdisciple is on a distinguished road
what is the ruling about reviewing video during a game? I notice a lot of coaches using ipads. are they being used to review plays and is this legal?
Reply With Quote
  #1079  
Old 12-22-16, 06:07 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 1,321
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stusdisciple View Post
what is the ruling about reviewing video during a game? I notice a lot of coaches using ipads. are they being used to review plays and is this legal?
By rule, coaches and players can look at them; the officials cannot.
Reply With Quote
  #1080  
Old 12-25-16, 06:19 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 2,938
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stusdisciple View Post
what is the ruling about reviewing video during a game? I notice a lot of coaches using ipads. are they being used to review plays and is this legal?
Any coach/player(s) review on an electronic device must take place outside the 9 yard marks (otherwise known as the numbers). A coach can use an electronic device inside the numbers during a charged time out if he is the only person reviewing the device.

This was a rule change in 2013
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz