Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-23-18, 06:39 PM
Varsity

Ramrod413 is on a distinguished road
Lifting Instead of Running Track

Iíve heard several football skill players say that they donít want to run track because they want to just lift & get ready for next year. When will athletes & coaches realize how beneficial track can be in not only making you better for football but will also help your recruiting. Unlike with 40 times, which are mainly hand timed, majority of your times in track are now electronic & more accurate. Read an article where a college coach said this...

"If a HS skill player doesn't run track, in our eyes, it's for 1 or 2 reasons. Either they have something to hide speed wise or they are scared to compete. Pretty simple. Both are obviously red flags to us."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-18, 06:43 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Several varsity football coaches at Lancaster also coach sprinters in track and they encourage the athletes to run. They even work with the strength and conditioning coaches to ensure the players are getting lifting workouts tailored around their track schedule.....most of the weight training for football benefits the athlete for both sports anyways.

Old 01-23-18, 06:54 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, am I ever the biggest proponent of Football players doing track. The benefits of Football players doing track cannot be stressed enough. And in addition, I have noted that schools with a strong football player presence on their track team, tend to do better in football. In addition, the athleticism these football players bring to the track, means that the track team tends to do very well with that influx of athleticism. I guarantee you that there is a relation between the schools that are good at track, and good at football. I am a huge track junkie, and I do care about the fate of my own track team at Coventry. I would not stop until every football player is recruited for our track team.-in addition to all the wrestlers, Soccer players, and Basketball players, etc...everyone who is remotely athletic.
Old 01-23-18, 06:55 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod413 View Post
"If a HS skill player doesn't run track, in our eyes, it's for 1 or 2 reasons. Either they have something to hide speed wise or they are scared to compete. Pretty simple. Both are obviously red flags to us."
I suppose ďthey really like to play baseballĒ wouldnít cut the mustard with this meathead?
Old 01-23-18, 07:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I suppose “they really like to play baseball” wouldn’t cut the mustard with this meathead?
If one truly cared about their ability to get recruited to college, then it is obvious Track is where its at. If one chooses to play baseball, then that is fine and dandy, baseball is probably funner, and they probably enjoy it more. But choosing Baseball over Track does have a cost as far as college opportunities are concerned.
Old 01-23-18, 07:03 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Ahh, so the college coaches like multi-sport athletes, as long as they are playing the sports the coaches like.
Old 01-23-18, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Ahh, so the college coaches like multi-sport athletes, as long as they are playing the sports the coaches like.
Its not about playing the offseason sports your college coaches would prefer. Its about deciding whether to play a sport that demonstrably improves the numbers all college coaches look at: your football stats. And its that Track does far more to improve those football stats than Baseball. (although an argument could be made for pitching and a quarterbacks passing game). And I do not begrudge the decision any aspiring football player makes. If one feels they can get to the college they want to play for, while doing Baseball in the spring, then more power to them, if that is what they truly desire. But for anybody trying to improve their overall athleticism to get better looks, I *strongly* recommend track.
Old 01-23-18, 07:12 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Every year we would tell our players we much preferred that they compete in any sport rather than be in the weight room.

And almost every year a player or parent would tell us that they understood that we were required to say that, but they understood that we really did not mean it.

One of may all-time best players said, "Why wouldn't you want to play three sports?"
Old 01-23-18, 07:14 PM
All Ohio

Just to be clear, I don't think Track is the only offseason sport that could help ones football statline. Wrestling, Rugby, Basketball, Swimming, all have benefits as well. How much of a benefit depends on which position, I suppose, but they all have their benefits.
Old 01-23-18, 07:46 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Hopefully, they're lifting and playing another sport.
Old 01-23-18, 07:48 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Hopefully, they're lifting and playing another sport.
Lifting does hold value. Most Wrestling Teams and Track teams that are worth their salt should involve at least some form of weight training.
Old 01-23-18, 08:04 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
From coaching wrestling I can tell we often get the "sure go wrestle" wink wink from some of the coaches. Even when we're lifting at the same time they'll ask kids when wrestling is over so they can get in the weight room. Or ask how much weight they're cutting and telling them how hard it'll be to gain it back. There's not a single football player on our team that's cutting a single pound. A couple have lost a few pounds over the course of the season. Normal in any sport that requires hard work. I'd love to see the three sport athlete come back.
Old 01-23-18, 09:09 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=brianwr112;6969915]From coaching wrestling I can tell we often get the "sure go wrestle" wink wink from some of the coaches. Even when we're lifting at the same time they'll ask kids when wrestling is over so they can get in the weight room. Or ask how much weight they're cutting and telling them how hard it'll be to gain it back. There's not a single football player on our team that's cutting a single pound. A couple have lost a few pounds over the course of the season. Normal in any sport that requires hard work. I'd love to see the three sport athlete come back.[/QUOTE]

you might like Coventry then. We are no athletic powerhouse by any means, but 2-3 sport athletes pretty much run our teams.
Old 01-23-18, 10:07 PM
All Region

sportfan97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
If one truly cared about their ability to get recruited to college, then it is obvious Track is where its at. If one chooses to play baseball, then that is fine and dandy, baseball is probably funner, and they probably enjoy it more. But choosing Baseball over Track does have a cost as far as college opportunities are concerned.

Unless said football player is a D1 recruit in baseball and he just plays football for fun.

Old 01-23-18, 10:31 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
If you are playing football, track is a smart choice. Absolutely agree. But in the long run, playing baseball is fine. Just not enough running there, but at least you are active. All should have a lifting schedule, no matter if you play baseball or track.
Old 01-23-18, 10:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfan97 View Post
Unless said football player is a D1 recruit in baseball and he just plays football for fun.

if thats the case, then all the power to him.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-18, 10:45 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Most big time Division I recruits ran track, particularly the skilled players. Urban Meyer has stated numerous times OSU prefers multi-sport athletes, especially ones who ran track high school. Speed is everything in the power conferences. You want to play WR, RB, or QB in D!, run track.
Old 01-24-18, 08:32 AM
Varsity

Ramrod413 is on a distinguished road
Ok sorry but I what I was trying to get across was missed. Iím referencing the athletes that choose to do no spring sport so they can concentrate on just lifting. And track, for the most part, unlike baseball, tennis, (other spring sports) doesnít require a huge amount of skill. And yes definitely if you love baseball youíre going to want to play baseball. But itís also very easy to do both baseball & Track. We have plenty of athletes that do it. My point is, it doesnít hurt anything. If anything it backs up your stays in football by adding speed times & jumping or throwing abilities. But if youíre unwilling to even try, maybe some athletes are scared of being exposed.

Old 01-24-18, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Run track to run track
Play football to play football

seen too many linemen skip out of real workouts to go throw and too many track coaches that don't make those linemen run.

Best case scenario is the coaches of the sports agree to a plan on how to develop and train the student athlete during the different seasons.
Old 01-24-18, 08:58 AM
Freshman

PioKnight45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Run track to run track

seen too many linemen skip out of real workouts to go throw and too many track coaches that don't make those linemen run.

Best case scenario is the coaches of the sports agree to a plan on how to develop and train the student athlete during the different seasons.
That's really the accountability of the coaches/the program when it comes to lineman or more so football players that throw overall. Yes, some do it just to be lazy, but I know a lot of elite athletes (i.e Corey Linsley Billy Price) that were just as elite as throwers. Just like everything else it just comes down to the program you're in whether HS or collegiate when it comes to strength & conditioning. Personally, I hit all of my PR's lifting and everything in college SR yr when I only did Olympic style lifting since I didn't have to mesh football workouts anymore.
Old 01-24-18, 10:55 AM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Run track to run track

Yasssss. This right here on all points.

1) Run track because you want to add to your high school experience and participate in it...not because it's some supplemental training for football.

2) Have your football coach and track coach develop and agree on a plan that accommodates both in-season track requirements and off-season football strength and conditioning.

3) Don't force track on a kid that just doesn't enjoy it or isn't interested in it at all. He won't benefit as much as putting the work into something his heart is truly in.

4) Finally, enjoy track because it's track and when it's over go enjoy preparing for your football season in the summer because it's football.

These things can be accomplished with communication and cooperation and should be done because the kid wants to do both not because some coach wants him to. It's his HS experience ...not the coach's.
Old 01-24-18, 11:06 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Hate the one size fits all answers. I ran track because I enjoyed it, but switched to tennis because I enjoyed it more (and became good enough to make the team). For me, the footwork from tennis improved my football more than any slight increase in quickness did from track. In neither case was football my motivation for my choice of Spring activity. In those days, people didn't worship at the all-important altar of D1 scholarships. Sports were primarily fun.
Old 01-24-18, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod413 View Post

Iíve heard several football skill players say that they donít want to run track because they want to just lift & get ready for next year. When will athletes & coaches realize how beneficial track can be in not only making you better for football but will also help your recruiting. Unlike with 40 times, which are mainly hand timed, majority of your times in track are now electronic & more accurate. Read an article where a college coach said this...

It can't be too difficult to do both.
Old 01-24-18, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
After years of extensive research and field work, I have come to the conclusion that fast people do well in track.
Old 01-24-18, 11:46 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Just like I after years of research and field work and sometimes just watching football games, I have learn that there is only one substitute for speed in football and that is more speed.
Old 01-24-18, 12:20 PM
All Region

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Tell that to:
Tom Brady
Russell Wilson
Jameis Winston
Eric Decker
Golden Tate
Brandon Weeden
Daunte Culpepper
John Elway
Deion Sanders
Bo Jackson
Dan Marino
Brian Jordan
Kyle Long
Old 01-24-18, 12:59 PM
Junior Varsity

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
I love the track homers on this thread criticizing baseball. Aren't kids allowed to have fun anymore?

Yes, if you're a big time football recruit in the skill positions (mainly DB, RB, WR) and you don't play any other sport, they should be running track because they (should) be some of the fastest athletes in the school anyways and they can work on developing their speed without worrying about taking hits everyday. Track and baseball, however, are such different sports. Baseball is a skill sport and track is an endurance sport, plain and simple. I've seen the best athletes in the area try to hold a baseball bat and look foolish. baseball isn't for everyone.

I know someone mentioned this, but I've seen too many linemen/other big guys do track and throw and 1)they're not very good at it and 2) they skip on the lifting and agility work to throw everyday. Again, its about accountability for coaches as well, but I hate when people make football players feel guilty about not running track. Let the kids do what they want in the 4 years of their lives that should be the best 4 years of their lives
Old 01-24-18, 01:38 PM
Freshman

Burt_Terry is on a distinguished road
If you decide to run track or or throw you have to still be in the weight room. I hope you realize that the names listed on this thread are absolutely shredded athletes. They do not get that way from simply running track. If your HS has a great strength and conditioning program then I recommend doing both. If you run track, but do not lift. Find another sport in the fall
Old 01-24-18, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
One question on the original statement: How many of these players already have a weightlifting class as part of their school day? That would make them more compelled to play another spring sport. I know it's a normal thing in Texas, but I don't know how it is in other southern states where I assume most of the players on Georgia and Alabama's rosters reside.

During track season, my school's track coaches allow football players to go to football lifting after school. They'll do that day's core lifts (some combo of bench, squat, power clean, deadlift), maybe a few auxilliary lifts if there's time, and then they go to the stadium for track practice.

Also, there's a chicken and egg thing here: Are these guys outrunning people on the football field because they ran track, or are did they run track because they're naturally fast and knew they'd be good at track? I know plenty of people who were sprinters on the track but got dusted on the football field. All in all, the statement that provided the basis of this thread is too simplified. Is a major college coach really going to pass on an incredibly fast or athletic kid with the proper football skills solely because the kid did not run track in HS?
Old 01-24-18, 05:56 PM
Junior Varsity

drew2732 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
One question on the original statement: How many of these players already have a weightlifting class as part of their school day? That would make them more compelled to play another spring sport. I know it's a normal thing in Texas, but I don't know how it is in other southern states where I assume most of the players on Georgia and Alabama's rosters reside.
Good points. It's not really feasible to lift and do a 2nd sport unless you can lift during normal school hours or have a flexible schedule with the track coach.

5:30Am wake up for lifting with the football team
7:45-3:45 School,
4:00-5:30 track practice (does track practice take 2 hours?)
6:00-6:45 dinner & unwind
6:45 and later--Get as much homework done as you possibly can before bed time.

NO THANKS. That kind of schedule is going to tear you down, not build you up.