Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-24-18, 04:31 PM
Junior Varsity

Football Fanatik is on a distinguished road
2018 Canton Central Catholic Predictions

What are your predictions?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-18, 04:30 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Their path to the playoffs probably runs through young-ish Perry and Jackson squads. Strongsville has gotten tougher and I'm guessing that's an L. New Philly is now DIII and their schedule is DIII thru DV, so it helps, but isn't as impactful in terms of Harbin points as it may have once been. Of course, not a guaranteed win either.

They need one of Perry or Jackson. Or to beat the weaker teams plus small division powers in Bellevue and South Range. They have Perry early, which is a positive. They have Jackson late, which is also a positive if Central isn't banged up from a very tough schedule for a DV squad. Louisville in week 10 is an upset alert if the Leopards are back to decent form.

Don't know much else. Gonna have to ask the fisheaters. I think they make it with one combination or another as they have been very good at matching the big publics in Stark County this decade. Seems like a 6-4/7-3 type regular season if they're motivated but the chance at an extended playoff run. Good luck!
Old 07-25-18, 04:37 AM
Freshman

Ohhighschoolfb is on a distinguished road
5-5, 6-4 at best. If they go 6-4 and beat Perry, Jackson, New Phila, or Louisville i'd say they will make the playoffs and go deep. Would be nice to see the crusaders get back on track!
Old 07-25-18, 09:03 PM
All District

TigerBucks is on a distinguished road
If they can stay healthy, the Crusaders are poised to win their region. It’s up for grabs from there...
Old 07-26-18, 09:00 AM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
I am thinking that they will be either 6-4 or 7-3 depending upon health and how well they do adjusting to the meat of the schedule. This team played a lot of younger players last year and despite their record, were competitive in nearly all the games minus WW and Strongsville. I think that it is safe to pencil in Strongsville as a loss and either Jackson or Perry, but not both. I also think that New Philly is going to be good, again, and it is tough to win down there. Other than that I believe that they should be able to beat Bellevue, had them on the ropes at their place last year, Carrollton, STA, Canadian Team, South Range (lost a lot), and Louisville. This is not a knock of Louisville, but they are going to have to navigate a BRUTAL independent schedule and CCC has them week 10.

Overall I say 7-3 is best case scenario with losses to Strongsville, NP and Jackson and 6-4 is worst case scenario with losses to aforementioned teams plus Perry.

Either way they should make the playoffs and be poised for a deep run.
Old 07-26-18, 07:57 PM
All Region

DickShadow is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Starkbuck;7073620]I am thinking that they will be either 6-4 or 7-3 depending upon health and how well they do adjusting to the meat of the schedule. This team played a lot of younger players last year and despite their record, were competitive in nearly all the games minus WW and Strongsville. I think that it is safe to pencil in Strongsville as a loss and either Jackson or Perry, but not both. I also think that New Philly is going to be good, again, and it is tough to win down there. Other than that I believe that they should be able to beat Bellevue, had them on the ropes at their place last year, Carrollton, STA, Canadian Team, South Range (lost a lot), and Louisville. This is not a knock of Louisville, but they are going to have to navigate a BRUTAL independent schedule and CCC has them week 10.

Overall I say 7-3 is best case scenario with losses to Strongsville, NP and Jackson and 6-4 is worst case scenario with losses to aforementioned teams plus Perry.

Either way they should make the playoffs and be poised for a deep run.[/QUOTE It will be very difficult to beat Perry with the running backs they have back, but not impossible
Old 07-26-18, 09:43 PM
Varsity

ViolentPacifist76 is on a distinguished road
2018 Canton Central Catholic Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Their path to the playoffs probably runs through young-ish Perry and Jackson squads. Strongsville has gotten tougher and I'm guessing that's an L. New Philly is now DIII and their schedule is DIII thru DV, so it helps, but isn't as impactful in terms of Harbin points as it may have once been. Of course, not a guaranteed win either.!

NP actually has 3 DII teams on the schedule as well as hosting the defending DIV State Champion...You may be underestimating the "Harbin points" value that they would accrue if, and that's a big IF, they were able to beat the Quakers at WHQS. This is in no way a dis to CCC. One of my favorite games on the schedule as both a participant and now a fan. Great program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-18, 01:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentPacifist76 View Post
NP actually has 3 DII teams on the schedule as well as hosting the defending DIV State Champion...You may be underestimating the "Harbin points" value that they would accrue if, and that's a big IF, they were able to beat the Quakers at WHQS. This is in no way a dis to CCC. One of my favorite games on the schedule as both a participant and now a fan. Great program.
My bad, was looking at NP's 2017 sched.

It's hard to get a handle on who will be most valuable right now for sure. Perry has guaranteed wins but in low divisions. Jackson isn't guaranteed to beat the Stark schools like they have the past couple years, but still could. Don't know who returns for NP but I know they're usually a power in their own right.

Always love to see Stark/Tusc teams do well. Best of luck!
Old 07-28-18, 12:17 PM
All District

Quote:
My bad, was looking at NP's 2017 sched.

It's hard to get a handle on who will be most valuable right now for sure. Perry has guaranteed wins but in low divisions. Jackson isn't guaranteed to beat the Stark schools like they have the past couple years, but still could. Don't know who returns for NP but I know they're usually a power in their own right.

Always love to see Stark/Tusc teams do well. Best of luck!
While I agree with your intended point regarding potential harbins, keep in mind that traditionally any combination of 6 or so wins on a schedule like Central's will get them in and possibly a home game. The majority of D5 schools do not play anyone above D3 or D2, let alone several 2's, 3's and 1's. I believe that Central was not officially eliminated until about week nine last year despite having such a poor record.

With regards to DS's claim about the Perry RBs, I agree that you have some talent, but I don't see Perry being better than last year. I believe that Central will be vastly improved from last year and given the 21-7 score, I have a feeling that it could be easily a coinflip this year. Either way, I love the 13th St. rivalry and it is always a good game.
Old 07-28-18, 03:04 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Perry’s QB, FB and WB are probably the fastest three at those positions together, I’ve seen in watching Perry in many, many years. So I’m disagreeing with the “some talent” comment from above.
If they get the blocking those three will be triple trouble and if the QB can pass adequately, all the more of a problem they will give to defenses.
As with every team it begins and ends in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Old 07-28-18, 03:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
While I agree with your intended point regarding potential harbins, keep in mind that traditionally any combination of 6 or so wins on a schedule like Central's will get them in and possibly a home game. The majority of D5 schools do not play anyone above D3 or D2, let alone several 2's, 3's and 1's. I believe that Central was not officially eliminated until about week nine last year despite having such a poor record.

With regards to DS's claim about the Perry RBs, I agree that you have some talent, but I don't see Perry being better than last year. I believe that Central will be vastly improved from last year and given the 21-7 score, I have a feeling that it could be easily a coinflip this year. Either way, I love the 13th St. rivalry and it is always a good game.
Vastly improved? enlighten us on what that means when talking about CC, I mean didnt they lose most of their OL, DL? what does CC actually have back?
Old 07-28-18, 03:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Perry’s QB, FB and WB are probably the fastest three at those positions together, I’ve seen in watching Perry in many, many years. So I’m disagreeing with the “some talent” comment from above.
If they get the blocking those three will be triple trouble and if the QB can pass adequately, all the more of a problem they will give to defenses.
As with every team it begins and ends in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
ED trust me when I say this Perrys OL, DL will be the strength of this team, you can bank on it
Old 07-28-18, 04:11 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickShadow View Post
Vastly improved? enlighten us on what that means when talking about CC, I mean didnt they lose most of their OL, DL? what does CC actually have back?
They lost a lot on the O-Line, but return starters at nearly every skill position and and the majority of their defense is back from last year. Additionally, the majority of the starters were underclassmen who were getting their first taste of varsity experience and injuries played a significant role in their struggles as well.

Here's my rationale for a vast improvement from last year. 1. They have one of the most athletic players at QB for his second season (was forced to play QB after freak injury in preseason to senior QB). He has undoubtedly grown from his first season as QB and will turn some heads this year.
2. The majority of the skill players, both offensively and defensively were juniors and sophomores last year, and now have a year of experience against top-tier talent under their belt.
3. The D-line was ravaged by injury last year (DE - ACL, DTs - Back Injury/Elbow Dislocation), which forced again many younger players to get valuable experience and the injured players have returned to camp.
4. They have a junior RB who is entering his third year as a starter and a senior WR that will be game changers in a multitude of ways.
5. There were only two or three games in which they did not compete despite having a very green team, including against a 9 win Perry team. This team was young and had to learn how to win games and are probably still learning that lesson.

I am sure there are other reasons, but given the majority of starters are back on the defense, and I believe the offensive line has improved through graduation, it is hard not see how they could be vastly improved. I was not slighting Perry in any way, so you and Ed can calm down a bit. I was speaking to fact you lost one hell of a senior class at Perry and given the turnover on the Defensive and Offensive Lines I wouldn't see how that brings you to a 10-0 season. Nothing against Perry, as I previously stated, but your 9-2 team beat a 3 win Central team 21-7 and one would surmise that Central would improve with younger players getting older.
Old 07-28-18, 04:15 PM
All District

Quote:
I meant no offense to you by some talent with Curtis being back there! I was referring to starting a new QB, after losing someone like Baker who was a stud Safety and great QB for your team. Perry always has speed at the WB and a stud FB, but the fastest in years? Come on now, did you forget the Sims and Cleveland duo? Either way I hope that the Panthers win every game, except week 2!
Old 07-28-18, 07:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Sammy The Bull is on a distinguished road
I see Central at 5 and 5 this year. We have a couple of coin flips that could get us to 6 and 4. In regards to week 2, I think Perry will out last us in the second half. Perry’s FB is a beast (not a blazer). The wing ran a 2.7 40 at a Ohio State camp but he runs like he is 7 foot 2 and has a tendency to put the ball on the ground. I am not concerned with that facet of the game. I am concerned about the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That wil be the difference.
Old 07-28-18, 10:43 PM
All World

Let me end my conversation here by saying that Coach Lindesmith does a great job, as does his staff and the Crusaders play hard, with a lot of heart, especially against Perry. I expect nothing different this year. Much respect for Central’s program. I wish them the best, except for week 2.
Old 07-29-18, 08:18 AM
Junior Varsity

football legend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickShadow View Post
Central lost 3 linemen that had a problem working together. This year they have 3 linemen who all played last year and are working together. All three are in the 230-240 range. Last year they had 1 real big guy and two 190-200 lb linemen. So knowing that you have bigger, stronger, coachable kids, I'd say they look to be better. Of course, only time will tell. This is not a weak link of the team. They have a very experience team with litlle depth. Stay healthly and I belive it's a 6-4 season and a state championship. Go CRU!
Old 07-29-18, 12:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
To play devil's advocate: are we too high on Perry? Not to say they won't compete as I'm sure they will, but given the turnover there and at virtually every other one of the big Stark County publics, are we defaulting to them and McKinley just because we expect them to be good and they are fan favorites? I could see a year where someone else emerges, be it Central or GlenOak or whomever. And I would not be surprised. It seems wide open really outside of Massillon and they generally don't play Stark County teams.
Old 07-29-18, 03:03 PM
All World

I think all the speculation will go by the wayside once the scrimmages are over. Most of us will have a better idea by then. A lot can happen during a season. After Perry lost two last minute heartbreakers to Central and Jackson on fumbles in 2016, I gave them no chance of getting into the playoffs, let alone advancing to the finals again. You just never know.
Old 07-29-18, 04:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
To play devil's advocate: are we too high on Perry? Not to say they won't compete as I'm sure they will, but given the turnover there and at virtually every other one of the big Stark County publics, are we defaulting to them and McKinley just because we expect them to be good and they are fan favorites? I could see a year where someone else emerges, be it Central or GlenOak or whomever. And I would not be surprised. It seems wide open really outside of Massillon and they generally don't play Stark County teams.
I don’t think we have Perry too high. I believe they will win the Fed, be 10 an 0, and be on a collision course with Massillion in the post season. I like what they bring on the O line. The QB this year is a low key stud. The Back field is really good. The big sophomore (last year) on the D line will be a nightmare to deal with this year. If they figure out the secondary, which I believe they will, Perry will be a load. Every year they were D2, they made it to finals. I know it is early, just my take
Old 07-29-18, 09:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy The Bull View Post
I don’t think we have Perry too high. I believe they will win the Fed, be 10 an 0, and be on a collision course with Massillion in the post season. I like what they bring on the O line. The QB this year is a low key stud. The Back field is really good. The big sophomore (last year) on the D line will be a nightmare to deal with this year. If they figure out the secondary, which I believe they will, Perry will be a load. Every year they were D2, they made it to finals. I know it is early, just my take
Couldnt have said it any better, the qb is alot bigger than Baker goes about 6'2 or 3 and is athletic and has some speed although not blazing, but with our backfield so what, he just needs some game time experience which the scrimmages and opening game will do, Although 10-0 is very possible, the bigger prize may be in week 13 with THOSE PEOPLE
Old 07-29-18, 10:46 PM
All American

Quote:
If they figure out the secondary, which I believe they will, Perry will be a load.
This is the main reason I agree with Starkbuck and think Central/Perry is no more than a coin flip at this point. Can they figure it out? Sure. Will they? I don't know, because it was an extremely glaring weakness. Albeit one that's not the worst to have in prep ball.

But also, the past few years the main Canton-area schools have been defined by their parity. Even Hoover, who hasn't had a winning season in a while, was only a hair worse than the rest of the field. Given their relative strengths and weaknesses, Perry was probably better than Jackson the past two years, but Jackson won both games. So given that, I'm a little more circumspect -- yes, it'd be fun to have the big week 13 showdown with the Tigers, but it's sounding a bit like a foregone conclusion that maybe isn't so certain. 10-0 tends to come around once in a generation because the best team doesn't always win and bad things happen. That's even assuming Perry is the best team this year.

I'd be way more certain that Central can own their region than Massillon or Perry can theirs. Even though Central probably has a floor pretty far beneath Perry's.
Old 07-30-18, 01:02 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are second person I have heard that from... wow Panthers always has Power but Exceptional Speed is trouble for anybody Panthers play...

And as all know - Trenches are key to any Championship team but it sure helps when the Trenches only have to hold block for a second while speedsters flying thru hole.

Bravo to Perry for playing Crusaders - what a great RIVALRY and that game is so Big for our Community!

Can Crusaders hang with Panthers this year? hmm.....
Old 07-30-18, 03:07 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I see Central at 5 and 5 this year. We have a couple of coin flips that could get us to 6 and 4. In regards to week 2, I think Perry will out last us in the second half. Perry’s FB is a beast (not a blazer). The wing ran a 2.7 40 at a Ohio State camp but he runs like he is 7 foot 2 and has a tendency to put the ball on the ground. I am not concerned with that facet of the game. I am concerned about the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. That wil be the difference.
I would definitely set the over/under for wins at 5 so I think you are right on. I could see a 4-6 season and I could see a 6-4 season but much better or much worse does not seem to be in the cards. 5-5 is about right. For what its; worth, I have us a 3-2 after five games with the losses coming from some combination of Philly, Perry and Strongsville.
Old 07-30-18, 03:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post

Bravo to Perry for playing Crusaders - what a great RIVALRY and that game is so Big for our Community!
I second that . . . it has been such a joy to be in the bleachers these last two decades for some great games (and a few blowouts) between these two squads. Central will always be grateful to Frank Gamble for being the first non-Canton City School District public school AD in Stark County to regularly play Central in basketball and football for nearly 25 years. He proved it could be done, it could be good for both schools and it could be fun for the kids and the fans (a sadly novel approach to scheduling philosophy these days).
Old 07-30-18, 03:15 PM
All American

The Plain Dealer -- or, likely, more accurately, a college intern at the PD who is going to be a sophomore journalism major at some school in Ohio -- has Central in their pre-season Top Ten (as well as new opponent South Range) and claims the defense will be improved. Let's hope the kid is right.
Old 07-30-18, 07:29 PM
Freshman

Ohhighschoolfb is on a distinguished road
Was Dylan Johnson playing QB in the passing scrimmage against East Canton? It looked like the Junior Beck but i could be mistaken.
Old 07-31-18, 05:01 PM
All Ohio

doubtme is on a distinguished road
Who is central scrimmaging this year? will be able to tell more about these crusaders in those scrimmages.
Old 07-31-18, 06:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtme View Post
Who is central scrimmaging this year? will be able to tell more about these crusaders in those scrimmages.
I think it is Hillsdale and Canton South. Don’t quote me though. In my years watching Central, scrimmages really have no correlation to the season. Lindy likes to show a lot of power packages with a 2 set back field early in practice. I am willing to bet, it will be a single set backfield, in a shotgun spread with veer tendencies come week one. We probably won’t get a real gage on the offense in the 2 scrimmages. Now D, that is an attitude. Should get a glimpse of what they bring to the table both in physicality and motor.
Old 07-31-18, 07:49 PM
All Ohio

doubtme is on a distinguished road
sammy why does he run power sets in scrimmages? I haven't seen them run much of that the past few years. they have been an offense that operates from the spread off of jet motion