Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-17, 09:43 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
NCAA rules no more two-a-days.

I have to believe high school sanctioning bodies will certainly follow. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 09:55 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lots of schools have already transitioned to doing longer single practices instead doubles. I think it's much safer and just as effective if planned properly.
Old 04-16-17, 10:02 AM
Varsity

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
You may be on to something here but with the limited time high school teams have to practice before school starts no two a days would make it tough. I would contend that injuries could increase with the lack of work and the quality of play could suffer. Most of these teams only have around what? Eight or nine two a days anyway depending on how many 7 on 7's they have. Contact in two a days is pretty much zero so I say leave it alone. Two a days build character. It's a big part of what kids remember about the football experience as far as team bonding and hard work still being an important part of building young men. Stop trying to coddle our kids and you will be surprised what they are capable of when pushed to the limit.
Old 04-16-17, 10:20 AM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering the NCAA hasn't allowed consecutive 2 a days since 2002 is anyone actually surprised?
Old 04-16-17, 11:10 AM
Junior Varsity

bigdude_222 is on a distinguished road
The problem with the loss of time on the field is that it also creates a loss of instruction time for proper tackling and blocking. Therefore, creating more injuries. As a coach, I tend to find that the longer the practice goes, the less effective it becomes. So we try to never go over two hours. Longer practices will create more injuries. The only way I can see this being effective in high school is if they allowed 10 extra Camp days between June/ July. Effectively doubling preseason camps. Same amount of time, but spread out.
Old 04-16-17, 12:49 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
College football has the players on a program year round. In HS, the first day of practice might be the first time the coach gets to see certain players, especially the rare three sport players.
Old 04-16-17, 04:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
Considering the NCAA hasn't allowed consecutive 2 a days since 2002 is anyone actually surprised?
Which the OHSAA adopted a couple years ago.
Old 04-16-17, 04:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
College football has the players on a program year round. In HS, the first day of practice might be the first time the coach gets to see certain players, especially the rare three sport players.
I agree. I'd also argue that less time to prepare = more injuries.
Old 04-16-17, 06:45 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I agree. I'd also argue that less time to prepare = more injuries.
Yep. And that's part of the problem. If the kids aren't prepared, they'll be more easily injured. And then the argument will be made to cut back practice/training even further. I think in high school for a few weeks, extensive training can be a good thing. I agree with modern things such as proper hydration, limiting practice during temperature extremes, etc. But kids need to learn and practice the proper way to play to help avoid both injury and incorrect technique.
Old 04-16-17, 08:50 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Not many schools actually have the classic two a day where you practice in the morning and then again in the evening. I think it's coming and I don't see too much of an issue with preparation/injuries. Coaches have summer days, 7 on 7, 7-man position workouts and weights/conditioning with their kids. If you can't find a way to get your kids prepared in that amount of time, you should take a look at how you're coaching IMO.
Old 04-17-17, 08:00 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
Lots of schools have already transitioned to doing longer single practices instead doubles. I think it's much safer and just as effective if planned properly.
I would argue the complete opposite. Shorter practices have always been far more effective than a long drawn out one, again I have only participated in them in all 3 levels so take it for what it is worth.
Old 04-17-17, 08:02 AM
All Region

If this rule is enforced I would have a walk through with no pads and in the gym. Practice in the morning 2.5 hours, lunch/break walk through (basically running plays as a team no pads holding dummies) in the afternoon for an hour.
Old 04-17-17, 08:26 AM
Freshman

ohsaa1 is on a distinguished road
Stop Punishing Football

The rule makers are catering to sub groups with agendas and small schools. Make football great again! The things that make football great are not in other sports. Things like 2-a-days and collisions with other players. The sub groups are ruling the greatness out of football to lower it to their sport. It will make their sports seem better because they're more like football. We should listen to the words of a great man- "Wake up America!"
Old 04-17-17, 08:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsaa1 View Post
The rule makers are catering to sub groups with agendas and small schools. Make football great again! The things that make football great are not in other sports. Things like 2-a-days and collisions with other players. The sub groups are ruling the greatness out of football to lower it to their sport. It will make their sports seem better because they're more like football. We should listen to the words of a great man- "Wake up America!"
I would argue that this rule would hurt small schools, larger schools have more specialization, where small schools share kids. Majority of offenses and defenses are installed during 2 a days at small schools, 10 summer days are harder to use at small schools because again they are sharing kids with basketball, etc
Old 04-17-17, 09:26 AM
Junior Varsity

bigbabycavalier is on a distinguished road
They already limited the amount of contact you can have, why would they limit the amount of practice times. This will force kids to specialize in only football. Football coaches would create a wall with their athletes. Telling them they cant play other sports because they need to learn offenses and defenses because they wont have to time to do so during the normal 2-a-days. That would kill all the other sports especially track. Leave it the way it is!!!!
Old 04-18-17, 02:16 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Nah, if they did this or limited them more it wont make kids only play football or any of the gloom-and-doom.

They already limit the times they get out nowadays and hit much, much less now than they did 25 years ago. Heck, our team rarely hits once the season is well on its way to keep the players fresh as many go both ways, including the quarterback.

It isn't like back in my day when you didn't do anything football until august 1st or the first official day. Camps, 7 on 7's, and just much more involved all the way around.

Will some coaches demand players only choose football? Sure, but no more than they have been. Personally, those coaches are just hurting themselves. You can have the best of both worlds.

Our previous FB coach would allow a kid to just be a spotter in a summer lifting session on a night of a summer baseball game he was pitching and the current FB coach actually helps throw batting practice do the baseball team and both have allowed QB's to miss 7 on 7's for a summer tournament baseball game. You can have the best of both worlds if coaches would just work together.

A local coach was pressured into resigning within the last month or two because of his mentality of demanding kids to focus solely of FB and getting into arguments with other coaches in the school.
Old 04-18-17, 08:10 AM
All District

coachrios is on a distinguished road
the NCAA is limiting contact to only one of the two-a-day practices (with no back to back days of doubles), which is what the limited full-contact time imposed by the OHSAA has already done. We went to one double with full pads and one with just shells.
Old 04-18-17, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Hey Coach!

To OHSAA1:

I thought there's been studies, and teams that have shown the extra contact in practice really doesn't buy anything but increased injury? For particularly a smaller team with mostly two-way players, i would think extra conditioning and time learning the plays, particularly along the lines would be more benefit than "collisions?"
Old 04-18-17, 08:54 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I have to believe high school sanctioning bodies will certainly follow. Thoughts?
Good, the kids SHOULD be protected from working too hard,... and it will give them more time to spend sitting on the couch playing video games and eating Twinkies.
Old 04-18-17, 12:11 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Sloppy play in the first three games of the season and more injuries during that timeframe are bound to be side effects if they eliminate practice time from high schools.
Old 04-18-17, 01:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrios View Post
the NCAA is limiting contact to only one of the two-a-day practices (with no back to back days of doubles), which is what the limited full-contact time imposed by the OHSAA has already done. We went to one double with full pads and one with just shells.
Most programs did. The NCAA however just eliminated two-a-days altogether.
Old 04-18-17, 07:42 PM
Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Everything trickles down so it will just be a matter of time. But unlike somone suggested, you are not going to see more summer practice days. My prediction, after it is eliminated, some college coaches are going to say the HS kids aren't ready for college and make another push for Spring Football.
The MAC schools probably have more multiple sport players yet always seem to have college recruits who make it to the pros. Hell, the pros are drafting basketball players who have never played football. The connection in those 2 statements; over-practice is overrated.
Old 04-19-17, 06:55 AM
All District

coachrios is on a distinguished road
The NCAA has eliminated two-a-days as we have always known it, but it has not done away with two practices in a day!!! Just have eliminated CONTACT and helmets in the 2nd practice!!! Schools will still run through a 2nd practice to work on fundamentals and bag work!! "A single day may include a single, three-hour, on-field practice session and a walk-through. During walk-throughs, protective equipment such as helmets and pads can’t be worn, and contact is prohibited. Walk-throughs also can’t include conditioning activities and, in the Football Championship Subdivision, are limited to two hours in length. Three continuous hours of recovery are required between on-field practice and a walk-through. Activities such as meetings, film review, medical treatment and meals are allowed during recovery time."
Old 04-19-17, 07:36 AM
All Region

I was the last class to have freshman camp. I will say I don't think i ever wore full pads in the summer/fall my sophmore-senior year. Hell spring ball I don't think I actually participated in any live action my junior or senior year. My point being schools were already governing their contact and hitting. I think not wearing helmet is the 2nd practice is ridiculous.
Old 04-19-17, 08:06 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
My prediction, after it is eliminated, some college coaches are going to say the HS kids aren't ready for college and make another push for Spring Football.
Hopefully someone at the high school level - a high-profile coach, OHSAA official, etc - will then publically inform the college coaches that it's not the high schools' job to produce college-ready football players.
Old 04-19-17, 08:57 AM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Hopefully someone at the high school level - a high-profile coach, OHSAA official, etc - will then publically inform the college coaches that it's not the high schools' job to produce college-ready football players.
This is true. Do some coaches produce prospects that are more ready than others? Yes. However, is that their purpose? No. I don't think getting rid of two-a-days (if it happens) will do much in the way of being prepared.

Coaches just have to find a way to make player learning more efficient/effective with the time they have.
Old 04-19-17, 11:22 AM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I don't see much validity to players being less prepared and quality of play suffering. Most high school players are still putting in far more time into football when you add in summer instruction, camps, voluntary workouts, etc. than players did 30, 20 or 10 years ago.