Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-31-18, 07:59 AM
All District

Red Raider2009 is on a distinguished road
If OHSAA approved girls wrestling, what are ideas to make that work?

Reading the article about the increase of girls participating in wrestling made me ponder this situation. I would love to see it, but what would be the logistics to make it work? If this was proposed, what questions would OHSAA ask and what answers could the wrestling provide to make girls wrestling an OHSAA sport.

Would the head coach be the same as the boys or a different coach?

If there were an official girls team, would many schools have mat space to accommodate more people if the boys and girls teams practiced together or share a space with different practice times similar to boys and girls basketball?

Would tournaments host all girls tournaments or would tournaments simply add smaller brackets to an all boys tournament?

Would a girl's post season be held similar to boys with sectional, district, and state at different venues or at the same current venues as the boys?

If the girls wrestling was a sport, would girls be allowed to compete on a boys team and a different weekend on a girls team? I'm thinking if a boy gets hurt, can a girl move to fill a weight class on boys team and then compete for the girls team a different weekend as long as the girl doesn't go over her points?

Just some initial thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-18, 09:10 AM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
I think at this point...just add a girls division to each individual tournament. Wouldn't add much extra time at all to the tournament.
Old 08-31-18, 09:49 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkRoll View Post
I think at this point...just add a girls division to each individual tournament. Wouldn't add much extra time at all to the tournament.
Out of curiosity, how do you come to that conclusion?
Old 08-31-18, 11:01 AM
All Region

CoachTim is on a distinguished road
Adding 1 girls bracket would make the tournament about 1/14th longer. Of course 2 brackets would make it about 1/7th longer. A 10am-4pm 6 hour tournament would be about 42 min longer, on average.

To actually make it a sport in the eyes of OHSAA they would need at least 5 to 7 weight classes. That would overtax current tournaments.
Old 08-31-18, 12:33 PM
All American

Dionysus is on a distinguished road
I think you guys have it all wrong. You need actual school sponsored teams. Adding a girls bracket in some tournaments does nothing to make it an OHSAA sport. Boys volleyball is not sanctioned by the OHSAA. Boys volleyball is governed by the Ohio Boys Volleyball Assocation. http://ohioboysvolleyball.com/ It will not be until there are more boys teams. I could be wrong on this though.

First, you need schools to sponsor separate Girls teams. Then, an official governing body can run a high school sanctioned girls state tournament. Then, you need a certain amount of school affiliated teams in order for the OHSAA to recognize girls wrestling as an OHSAA sponsored sports.
Old 08-31-18, 12:33 PM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
One bracket would only make it 1/14 longer if the weight class had the same number of girls in it as the boys...which at least in the beginning that wouldnt be the case...there just isnt a high volume of girls wrestlers.
Old 08-31-18, 02:30 PM
All American

Dionysus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raider2009 View Post
If the girls wrestling was a sport, would girls be allowed to compete on a boys team and a different weekend on a girls team? I'm thinking if a boy gets hurt, can a girl move to fill a weight class on boys team and then compete for the girls team a different weekend as long as the girl doesn't go over her points?
OHSAA rules allow a girl to play on a boys team, but a boy cannot play on a girls team.

Section 6. Team Membership
1-6-1 Girls may play on a boys team. A female to male (FTM) transgender student may participate
on boys teams as long as he is compliant with the OHSAA transgender policies. Please see the
BYLAWS
OHSAA policies on the Transgender Student here at http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibility/
OtherEligibilityDocs/TransgenderPolicy.pdf
1-6-2 A girl or transgender male (FTM) who is compliant with the OHSAA transgender policies and
who is a member of a boys team shall follow all contests rules and regulations regarding the
sport as specified for the boys.
1-6-3 Boys may not play on girls’ teams unless the overall opportunities, as referenced in the 1979
US Department of Education’s Title IX Policy Interpretation in accordance with Part 1 of the
three part test, for interscholastic competition for boys are less than for girls and the competing
schools mutually agree. A male to female (MTF) transgender student may participate on
girls’ teams as long as she is compliant with the OHSAA transgender policies. Please see the
OHSAA policies on the Transgender Student here at http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibility/
OtherEligibilityDocs/TransgenderPolicy.pdf
Old 08-31-18, 03:55 PM
All District

CoachJules is on a distinguished road
Many won't like what I would do, but I would cut the weight classes down to 10-12 for boys and make 4 weight classes for girls (to start). So teams would be co-ed and you could still have duals and tournaments run the same.
Old 08-31-18, 04:02 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJules View Post
Many won't like what I would do, but I would cut the weight classes down to 10-12 for boys and make 4 weight classes for girls (to start). So teams would be co-ed and you could still have duals and tournaments run the same.
That’s actually not a terrible idea. I don’t see it ever happening but I like the possibilities that come with it.
Old 08-31-18, 04:44 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Per my friend's Magic 8 Ball.........Those who think that girls will save high school wrestling will most likely be disappointed.
Old 08-31-18, 05:17 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
Per my friend's Magic 8 Ball.........Those who think that girls will save high school wrestling will most likely be disappointed.
Is that why there is talk of girls wrestling? To save the boys?
Old 08-31-18, 06:39 PM
All Ohio

dman is on a distinguished road
I think you add three girls weight and tack them on to the boys team for duals and tournaments - see where it goes and then split it out and add more weight classes as it grows . Doing this would eliminate a lot of headaches to get it going - just piggyback it on the boys. Team scoring would be separate.
Old 09-01-18, 10:29 PM
All District

wlpdrpat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you come to that conclusion?
Take a look at the girls freestyle state tournament, which would currently represent the majority of girls that are wrestling in Ohio and you would note that it wouldn't take a lot of time. They completed the entire tournament for 2 divisions (Cadet & Junior) in a couple hours on one mat.
Old 09-01-18, 10:42 PM
All District

wlpdrpat is on a distinguished road
I think the more interesting question, given the fact that NCAA girls wrestling is freestyle, is what style of wrestling would the OHSAA sponsor for the girls?
Old 09-02-18, 07:18 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
Not sure where some of these ideas are coming from. Girls wrestling will be a totally different team...although girls can compete on boys teams now and have in the past..they will be a totally different team competing in totally different events.

How each school district will handle the hiring of coaches and having wrestling rooms will be different of course, but they will operates as 2 different teams. That is how we are planning and preparing anyway. Biggest issue for most schoos that do add girls wrestling is having a proper training facility. With most programs having Hs, Jr. High, and Youth programs...mat time is already challenging.
Old 09-03-18, 12:33 AM
Junior Varsity

SavageB is on a distinguished road
Just to get it off the ground.

Have every coach in the state with a girl on their team submit their info and projected/typical weight, if they want to participate in a "girls state tournament". Then whoever the governing body is takes that info and creates around 8-10 brackets with no more than 8 girls per bracket, that work best from the pool of entrants.
Old 09-03-18, 03:15 PM
All District

Red Raider2009 is on a distinguished road
I guess I'm thinking roughly the first 5 years of girls being a OHSAA club sport similar to lacrosse having division I, division II, and club.

Secondly, would the boys/girls wrestling be treated as separate sports such as boys/girls basketball with different coaches and practice times or like cross country and swimming where boys and girls have the same coaches, practice together, and travel to same locations to compete. I would expect girls wrestling to be more like xc and swimming at the beginning.

What could coaches do now to move girls wrestling into a position to grow as its own entity and be considered a OHSAA sport? Maybe have exhibition matches before dual meets between girls if not in the varsity line-up and close to each other's weights?

Are there any girl tournaments during OHSAA wrestling season?
Old 09-03-18, 04:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raider2009 View Post
Maybe have exhibition matches before dual meets between girls if not in the varsity line-up and close to each other's weights?
Not trying to be a wet blanket but "exhibition" matches are prohibited by rule.
No official who values his/her permit, or any AD who doesn't want to deal with the liability, would choose this route.
IOW, the rules would have to be changed for this to happen.
Old 09-03-18, 04:58 PM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
I think if/when girls wrestling is offered as its own sport you will see the numbers jump. I am sure there are girls that will consider the sport if they are not wrestling boys most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-18, 01:33 PM
All Region

Any effort to get an allowance/variance to allow for "girls" schedule with in the current structure.

Thinking if a team has say 10+ girls they can put together a schedule of events for them seperate from point limitations for Freshman, JV and Varsity. These could be Girl only tournaments or regular JV/Varsity Boys tournaments where they could compete at as a Girls team. This could be a way to grow girls wrestling in Ohio and help show proof of concept to support a Girls division at the state tournament level.

Also consider an allowance/variance for an all Girls tournament to count towards the individuals season points but not necessarily part of the Varsity/JV team point limit.
Old 09-25-18, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No official who values his/her permit, or any AD who doesn't want to deal with the liability, would choose this route.

Can you speak to this a little bit more?

I do not think people understand that they are not prohibited per se but they just can not be labeled as such correct? You could still do JV / Freshman matches before a Varsity Dual but they would count as points and the referees need to be paid as such correct?

I will let you clear up anything I said that wasn't correct, cause I am not sure that I am ha
Old 09-25-18, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

SLhornet is on a distinguished road
How about girls wrestling being the spring season?
Coaches could coach both. Mat Time would not an issue.
OHSAA has tennis in 2 seasons, why not give it a try. Girls freestyle could start up right after the girls state and go straight to fargo.
Old 09-26-18, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
Can you speak to this a little bit more?

I do not think people understand that they are not prohibited per se but they just can not be labeled as such correct? You could still do JV / Freshman matches before a Varsity Dual but they would count as points and the referees need to be paid as such correct?

I will let you clear up anything I said that wasn't correct, cause I am not sure that I am ha
Well, you might think that but would be incorrect.
This is covered under General Sports Regulation #26 which reads as follows:

"26. Exhibition Competition
Any event or competition involving students representing member schools may involve only stu- dents who are eligible in all respects insofar as age, enrollment and attendance, scholarship, residence and individual sports limitation. So-called “scratch” or “exhibition” competition permitted or conducted by any school could result in ineligibility for athletes and suspension of the school.
Exception: The Board of Directors may authorize competition in events within specific sports in order to accommodate students with disabilities without affecting team scoring in those sports."

As you can see, unless the OHSAA Board of Directors approves it, a school would be taking a big risk by holding such a contest. Since they are prohibited, in writing, if someone were to be hurt in such a contest, there would be all kinds of blame to spread around.

Freshmen or JV contests are completely different than what was proposed here.
Old 09-26-18, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes, in JH/HS they have to be JV matches before a dual not "exhibition". Also, any kid that wrestles a JV match can NOT wrestle in the Varsity dual.

What I have seen typically is that at a dual the two coaches will try to matchup any JV kids that are within a weight class of each other and have as many JV matches before the Varsity dual as possible (usually only a handful).
Old 09-26-18, 04:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Yes, in JH/HS they have to be JV matches before a dual not "exhibition". Also, any kid that wrestles a JV match can NOT wrestle in the Varsity dual.

Actually not true, Dublin Coffman pulled this off vs Marysville in 2017. Coach Andrews called them on this and after a delay and I understand a call to someone the Coffman kid was allowed to wrestle a Varsity match after having wrestling the JV. I think this may have been discussed at the time and I believe it may have counted as a point toward the wrestlers season. Unless there as been a specific prohibition added since then, the rules do not speak to this specific issue.
Old 09-26-18, 06:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
Actually not true, Dublin Coffman pulled this off vs Marysville in 2017. Coach Andrews called them on this and after a delay and I understand a call to someone the Coffman kid was allowed to wrestle a Varsity match after having wrestling the JV. I think this may have been discussed at the time and I believe it may have counted as a point toward the wrestlers season. Unless there as been a specific prohibition added since then, the rules do not speak to this specific issue.
Interesting, I imagine if your team has all 20 pts scheduled for varsity then this would not be possible. Unless the kid is just filling in for varsity due to injury or something.
Old 09-26-18, 08:48 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Also, if a kid wrestles JV in a dual, there must be 45 minutes between his/her matches. But I’m pretty sure that’s legal. (O. Liberty v. O. Orange it happened too.)
Old 09-26-18, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
Also, if a kid wrestles JV in a dual, there must be 45 minutes between his/her matches. But I’m pretty sure that’s legal. (O. Liberty v. O. Orange it happened too.)
Correct on both counts from what we are told.
Here is the way the OHSAA office worded it:

"If coaches are trying to get wrestlers matches at the end of a meet, that is fine, they just need to know that is must be represented on sub-Varsity team’s schedule and that it counts towards the individual wrestler’s point limitation."
Old 09-27-18, 02:51 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
What do you think needs "saved" as you say?
Old 09-27-18, 01:47 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
Jim

I have seen exhibition type matches in just about every dual meet I have been to. JV/9th not varsity of course.