Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-20-18, 10:10 PM
Junior Varsity

allohiotraveler is on a distinguished road
just a quick interjection. I don't know if Indian Valley had a players lost, but I hardly saw a top 10 team in division 2 saturday night... Out coached and certainly didn't seem to have the team to be undefeated so long. I was just confused... I walked out of there knowing why John Glenn jumped on their bracket early.
Old 02-21-18, 08:21 AM
All District

shaggy25 is on a distinguished road
I coach basketball and they would not let me in on my pass. They asked if I was the head coach and I said no I coach middle school and they said sorry only head coaches get in on the pass. A man behind me had an administrative pass and they would not let him in either. So I agree, the showcase got a little greedy trying to make money.
Old 02-21-18, 09:31 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allohiotraveler View Post
just a quick interjection. I don't know if Indian Valley had a players lost, but I hardly saw a top 10 team in division 2 saturday night... Out coached and certainly didn't seem to have the team to be undefeated so long. I was just confused... I walked out of there knowing why John Glenn jumped on their bracket early.
I agree & I've said all year they hardly deserve to be grabbing 1st place votes... I don't think JG jumped them, since I believe tourney draws were automated.
Old 02-21-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Kimble View Post
I agree & I've said all year they hardly deserve to be grabbing 1st place votes... I don't think JG jumped them, since I believe tourney draws were automated.
The NE District draws are automated based on the coaches' seedings. It appears the East still allows DII coaches to choose their line on either of 2 district brackets.

IV got the #1 seed in the East and chose district bracket #1. JG got the #2 seed and could've gone to bracket #2 but chose bracket #1. As a result, Zanesville (#3) is the highest seeded team in bracket #2. I guess the big question here would be: Did JG really jump on IV, or was JG trying to steer another team like Zanesville away from them?
Old 02-21-18, 01:08 PM
Freshman

RHobbs9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy25 View Post
I coach basketball and they would not let me in on my pass. They asked if I was the head coach and I said no I coach middle school and they said sorry only head coaches get in on the pass. A man behind me had an administrative pass and they would not let him in either. So I agree, the showcase got a little greedy trying to make money.
I don't want to start a fight but how many people are they to let in for free? I thought $6 and no parking fee was reasonable for 7 games. It was well worth $6 in my opinion.
Old 02-21-18, 02:43 PM
All District

tndog is on a distinguished road
Coaches should be let in on pass or to scout. That's simply common courtesy
Old 02-21-18, 08:50 PM
Junior Varsity

tigerfan53 is on a distinguished road
Strasburg 59 mogadore 46 final score

it's difficult to believe that indian valley, with 3 losses, is ranked #10 in division 2 ~ and hiland, with 5 losses, is ranked #8 in division 4, while strasburg, with only 1 loss, is not rated according to the times reporter.
Old 02-21-18, 09:56 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan53 View Post
Strasburg 59 mogadore 46 final score

it's difficult to believe that indian valley, with 3 losses, is ranked #10 in division 2 ~ and hiland, with 5 losses, is ranked #8 in division 4, while strasburg, with only 1 loss, is not rated according to the times reporter.
Agree Straburg not getting any respect,AP voters must be drunk. Strasburg can use the slight as motivation.
Old 02-21-18, 11:11 PM
Freshman

ropeadope is on a distinguished road
And two of IV loses are from D4 schools, with Strasburg thumping them convincingly. Tigers also throttled a four loss, D3 team in Mogadore tonight. Up over 20 points with 3 minutes left before taking starters out.
Old 02-22-18, 12:45 AM
Junior Varsity

1. JG definitely jumped on IV and it wasn't hard to see why. Greg Woodard is one of the best basketball minds in the East District and knew his matchup with IV would lead them to a regional instead of former D1 Zanesville or returning district chance Meadowbrook...

2. Strasburg is not getting any respect at all... shocking that they don't have any either. I'd gladly say Strasburg plays a tougher schedule than Hannibal River and River checked in at #3, with a loss to Hiland at HOME..

Strasburg will get their chance to settle the score. Hope it all works out to see a River Strasburg matchup at Meadowbrook(?). I'm sure Adam Hall would be upset otherwise.. He's seen River at least 4 times, according to him.
Old 02-22-18, 08:35 AM
Freshman

After wondering in the darkness for years, the stars have finally aligned, and Strasburg has a top notch coach with top notch, and unselfish players. Anything less than a trip to Columbus, would be considered a disappointment. With that said, looking at the District bracket makes me queasy.
Old 02-22-18, 09:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropeadope View Post
After wondering in the darkness for years, the stars have finally aligned, and Strasburg has a top notch coach with top notch, and unselfish players. Anything less than a trip to Columbus, would be considered a disappointment. With that said, looking at the District bracket makes me queasy.
Write it down, Regional tournament play is the ceiling.
Old 02-22-18, 01:29 PM
Freshman

There is not an easy ride to the regional for any of them...Strasburg, Hiland, River, Malvern or anyone else. Whoever makes it out of the district will have earned it.
Old 02-23-18, 05:20 PM
All Region

hhawks is on a distinguished road
I hope my Hawks get another chance at Strasburg , it will be another defensive gem,with the score in mid thirties game again, like to see how far the Hawks have come along, there 11-0 second half of the season
Old 02-23-18, 05:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawks View Post
I hope my Hawks get another chance at Strasburg , it will be another defensive gem,with the score in mid thirties game again, like to see how far the Hawks have come along, there 11-0 second half of the season
Won't happen,Hawks are D3 Strasburg is D4.
Old 02-23-18, 06:13 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
Won't happen,Hawks are D3 Strasburg is D4.
Hiland is D4.
Old 02-23-18, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

Sorry my mistake,didn't realize they dropped back down
Old 02-23-18, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
Sorry my mistake,didn't realize they dropped back down
We all make mistakes. Mrs. Ones is more than happy to tell me about my mistakes.
Old 02-23-18, 09:30 PM
Junior Varsity

tigerfan53 is on a distinguished road
Indian valley 58 malvern 55 overtime final score
Old 02-24-18, 06:58 AM
Varsity

Meatball is on a distinguished road
hawks, i too would love to see hiland/strasburg again. agree the game would be in the mid 30's with tons of defense. BUT each has to get by a tough opponent and we could just as easy be seeing a Malvern/River District Final. I really hope not though
Old 02-25-18, 11:49 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
hawks, i too would love to see hiland/strasburg again. agree the game would be in the mid 30's with tons of defense. BUT each has to get by a tough opponent and we could just as easy be seeing a Malvern/River District Final. I really hope not though
Mid 30's? Sounds entertaining.
Old 02-25-18, 05:02 PM
All District

tuscoslimshady is on a distinguished road
Throw back basketball the way its supposed to be played.D and fundamentals!
Old 02-25-18, 05:23 PM
All Ohio

Exactly tuscoslim
Old 02-25-18, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscoslimshady View Post
That's true HS basketball.
Old 02-25-18, 09:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscoslimshady View Post
Basketball is supposed to be played with tempo, pace, & minimal saddling defense (Strasburg specialty). The hands on close out is an advent into the game in the last 5-10 which isn't a traditional thing. Space the floor execute get a good shot (which data now tells us is a layup or 3).

Hiland is always around in the late stages of the tournament it seems and their out of conference schedule typically prepares them for a good run in the tourney. Strasburg has had 2.5 good or better years, and the lower divisions are crawling with teams they stand NO CHANCE against, let's apply some perspective before we crown Strasburg the D-IV state champs.
Old 02-26-18, 02:50 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Basketball is supposed to be played with tempo, pace, & minimal saddling defense (Strasburg specialty). The hands on close out is an advent into the game in the last 5-10 which isn't a traditional thing. Space the floor execute get a good shot (which data now tells us is a layup or 3).

Hiland is always around in the late stages of the tournament it seems and their out of conference schedule typically prepares them for a good run in the tourney. Strasburg has had 2.5 good or better years, and the lower divisions are crawling with teams they stand NO CHANCE against, let's apply some perspective before we crown Strasburg the D-IV state champs.
Don't believe anyone has crowned them state Champs. We are excited to see how far they can go, just like every other school who has had a really successful regular season. It's called being a fan.
Old 02-26-18, 03:47 PM
Freshman

It's clear that Bo is not a fan of Strasburg or their defense. I would say that, like Hiland, Strasburg is a solid, fundamental basketball team that may lack superior athletes like Hiland had years ago. Those teams don't come around too often, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they are two solid basketball teams. The Hawks are clearly playing better than in their first meeting with the Tigers. I would say the same for Strasburg if for nothing more than they now have their fifth starter who didn't play in the first meeting. All they have done is run off 18 wins in a row. This chatter about a potential match up is just that...chatter. There are several good opponents in front of these two teams, each vying for the chance to play for a district title. I'm sure each coach is focused on who they play tomorrow night and not March 9th.
Old 02-27-18, 01:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Definitely want to interject here as well. Strasburg and Hiland would be a lovely matchup for the IVC spectacle. I really wouldn't overlook the Pilots from River though. Hiland may have won at River, but I heard the numbers and don't think that'll be the same exact happening again (River 10-20 from line and 3-18 from three). Adam Hall has been to more River games than most fans from Hannibal. It'll be interesting to see who stops Lukas Isaly enough to knock them out. (PS: it very well could be in their second game though, never know when he may (if ever?) cool off.
Old 02-27-18, 08:14 AM
Varsity

luvhsfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
Old 02-27-18, 11:27 AM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhsfb View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
True.

But I'm with Bo. Coach Hall comes from that Bob Von Kaenel/Scott Bardall tree that emphasizes defense and very controlled offense. It can be effective basketball. I remember a team from NW Ohio a few years ago that tried to play games in the 20's and 30's that was at state - Holgate?? Ugly basketball, but they were at state.

It's not that bad to watch in boys basketball, but miserable when applied in girls. When Bardall was at Garaway there was a district game against, I think, Martin's Ferry that was 8-4 at half - or something like that. Absolutely unwatchable.

They can do it, it's within the rules, but whether I like to see it is my call. I would argue that basketball, at it's essence, is a series of runs that consist in stops and scores. You can emphasize the stops or the scores, but the best teams IMO emphasize both.

A shot clock would kill the defense/very controlled offense brand of basketball. As a viewer, I would like to see it killed, but there is nothing inherently wrong with that style of basketball. Just don't ask me to buy a ticket to watch it.