Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-08-18, 05:41 PM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Does federal politics really need another Chicago based POV? Chicago can't fix itself.

One characteristic I see missing from the descriptions above: she's extremely intelligent and people savie. She has and can reach a similar regional demographic as Trump. She can reach small town, rural poverty in ways Clinton wouldn't even care to. AND she will know the issues.

As others have mentioned, she'd have the same problems as Trump, putting together that out-sider machine that can be effective in DC. But at least she would have the experience of Trump to build on.

A good time to recall, when all was coming down on Trump, she backed him at least to the point of giving him the benefit of the doubt. She did also though, case to pressure when she saw the potential for $ signs missing, when those she thought would back her every queenly offering showed they had minds of their own.
She can play the populist- a chicken in every pot and a CAAARRRR in every garage.
Old 01-08-18, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Dismissing Oprah's chances is pretty hilarious given what happened in 2016.
  • She's one of the most famous women ever
  • She has a great personal story: born dirt poor, molested, pregnant at 14, legitimately self-made her $3 billion fortune, noted philanthropist, etc
  • She checks the boxes to get Dem voters to the polls: she's black, she's a woman, and white housewives love her. Oprah-Trump would almost certainly be an historic gender gap and I imagine she'd receive near Obama levels of black support.

Her negatives
  • Inexperienced: this is obviously out the window as a talking point for Republicans
  • She's given platforms to conspiracy theorists(anti-vaxxers most notably): this would also be a difficult line of attack for obvious reasons
  • Never been properly vetted as she would in a political campaign: this is the only real liability. What skeletons does she have in her closet? This is a legitimate concern if you nominate her.
Pretty much nailed it.
Old 01-08-18, 08:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Oh you're definitely right that that's what they're thinking... but will black men show up in large numbers to vote for Oprah? Remember the show? Everyone in the audience was a woman. It was entertainment specifically designed for the housewife home during the day -- and it sounds like that's how she wants to run the campaign, too, if the speech is any indication. Is that gonna work? She got people to vote for Obama, yes. But sometimes the propagandist is a horrible figure to put out in public (ask Steve Bannon).

I'm not seeing it from the Golden Globes speech. She's gonna choke hard when it gets time to get into policy. Obama was very vague sometimes but nothing like the way Oprah is. And we all remember what happened to Rubio.
Absolutely. African American turnout would be up with both males and females. She would win more of the independent vote than Hillary did.

----------

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I'm gonna post this quote

Quote:
“Well, I would consider [running for president], and as Chris [Matthews] can tell you, I threw out the name of a friend of mine, who I think the world of. She’s great. And some people thought it was an incredible idea, some people didn’t, but — Oprah. I said, ‘Oprah Winfrey,’ who’s really great. And I think we would be a very formidable team.”
Guess who
Old 01-08-18, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Why would the DNC want Oprah to run? Three words.....The Black Vote.

The black vote was the highest ever for Obama in his two elections. Dropped off pretty hard for Hillary. They know they can't win the white house without the black vote and Oprah probably seems like a sure bet to get the black vote turnout close to Obama's numbers.

Plus she has experience giving away stuff for free on her show. She checks all the boxes.
But that strategy only works if the white vote is disinterested and depressed like it was for both McCain & Romney. I suspect that Jackson03 is right: an Oprah run might trigger a massive white male vote against her as well as at most a restrained reaction from Black & Hispanic men.
Old 01-08-18, 10:02 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why would the DNC want Oprah to run? Three words.....The Black Vote.

The black vote was the highest ever for Obama in his two elections.
Obama also got a higher percentage of the white vote than any Democrat since Kennedy. I don't know if Oprah can recreate that.
Old 01-08-18, 10:04 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
She is also way more articulate, ...
I cannot think of anything less important.
Old 01-08-18, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Obama also got a higher percentage of the white vote than any Democrat since Kennedy. I don't know if Oprah can recreate that.
Don't sell her short. She has a lot of white fans too.
Old 01-08-18, 10:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
But that strategy only works if the white vote is disinterested and depressed like it was for both McCain & Romney. I suspect that Jackson03 is right: an Oprah run might trigger a massive white male vote against her as well as at most a restrained reaction from Black & Hispanic men.
Don't forget that unlike Hillary I believe Obama and Oprah are more like friends. Him getting behind her probably has a bigger feeling of legitimacy than Obama getting behind Hillary.

Now...if things continue as they are with record low unemployment for blacks and close to record low for Hispanics could have some bearing on how those demographics vote in 2020. Maybe realize they have been getting misled and used all these years by the Dems.
Old 01-08-18, 10:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Don't sell her short. She has a lot of white fans too.
Amen. After Trump you would have to be a fool to underestimate an Oprah run for POTUS.
Old 01-08-18, 10:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Amen. After Trump you would have to be a fool to underestimate an Oprah run for POTUS.
I mean who doesn't want a free car?!?! 😁
Old 01-08-18, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It sure beats a chicken in every pot!
Old 01-08-18, 10:22 PM
All Yappi

What happened to the "blizzard" protest the NAACP was trying to organize for NCAA game tonight? I didn't see anything of significance on TV.
Old 01-08-18, 10:22 PM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Old 01-08-18, 10:32 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
an Oprah run might trigger a massive white male vote against her as well as at most a restrained reaction from Black & Hispanic men.
There are still some "guns & God" white male voters that vote Dem. The Youngstown types. In Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Western PA. I just can't see them getting on board with Oprah, especially if her rallying cry is gonna be #MeToo. Having to listen to that for the next 2 1/2 years? No way. Maybe the Democrats see that voting bloc as a lost cause. Maybe they're right? Still, seems risky to write them off when a Sanders/Brown/Warren could win them back pretty easily I think. Why not just go the easy route?

Somewhere out there there's an electoral map simulator where you can adjust percentages of the vote (white, black, male, female, etc.) to see how it changes the math in each state. I know there was one that predicted Trump's win real well if you changed a few parameters. Wonder what that would show for Oprah.
Old 01-09-18, 03:33 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
She has nothing in the #metoo thing, all the R's have to do is post that pic of her doing whatever it is she is doing to Harvey Winestein's ear.
Old 01-09-18, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Nice article that calls the whole question of whether Trump is mentally fit to be POTUS what it really is: An attempted coup!

http://thefederalist.com/2018/01/08/...V-bKY8.twitter

Trump is unlike any previous president of the United States. Voters knew this when they chose him over Hillary Clinton. And there is nothing about Trump now that suggests his mental state is any different or worse or dangerous than when voters elected him, or when they first encountered him on gossip pages and in reality television decades ago.

To suggest otherwise is to undermine the democratic election of presidents, and to do so would be far more damaging to the country than anything Trump’s actually done. It is particularly noteworthy that members of an elite are calling for his ouster when Trump’s election was partly in response to anger at mismanagement by members of the media and political establishment.

Talk of mental health and a 25th Amendment removal, “by force if necessary,” is talk of a coup, just as it was in the TV show “24.” Responsible parties should consider how this is perceived by the part of the electorate they rarely speak to and cease.

Just remember libs, what goes around comes around.
Old 01-09-18, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

And remember progressives who worship at the alter of Obama talk about mental fitness can take many forms:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/07/on-the...zy-like-a-fox/

One thing we don’t have to worry about is the economic sanity of President Trump.

In fact, it’s safe to say that the current president, for all his temperamental flaws and petty insecurities, makes his tightly wound predecessor, Barack Obama, look like a raving madman when it comes to showing sense on economic growth.

And the evidence of Obama's economic insanity:

An insane president would threaten a significant tax increase immediately upon taking office following a financial crisis, and then eventually impose one on individuals and small businesses still in recovery.

He’d impose job-crushing regulations on these same businesses as unemployment rose. He’d put a cumbersome mandate on businesses that upends the entire health care system just as the economy was finally turning a corner.

A really insane president would blow nearly $1 trillion on a stimulus plan with little planning and direction, wasting much of the money on boondoggles (see: Solyndra) and then laugh at the lack of “shovel ready” jobs created.
Old 01-09-18, 10:41 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
She can play the populist- a chicken in every pot and a CAAARRRR in every garage.
I'm sure she'd attract every idiot that actually thought they would get a car if they elected her.
Old 01-09-18, 11:44 AM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I'm sure she'd attract every idiot that actually thought they would get a car if they elected her.
It worked for Obama. Remember video clips of African Americans saying if we help elect Barack Obama, he will help us out.
Old 01-09-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Bjf still waiting for his Obama money
Old 01-10-18, 07:48 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I remember the Cleveland woman saying Obama gave her a free cell phone and that is why she was voting for him. Years ago a politician could get a vote much cheaper. JFK came through our town in a slow moving motorcade and all he did is point and wave at the diehard R woman and voted for him she did. That my friends is a true story, It really does not take much to buy some peoples vote. A phone, a wavy, a promise (even one that people know will not happen) and a voting we will go.
Old 01-10-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
  • She has a great personal story: born dirt poor, molested, pregnant at 14, legitimately self-made her $3 billion fortune, noted philanthropist, etc
  • She checks the boxes to get Dem voters to the polls: she's black, she's a woman, and white housewives love her. Oprah-Trump would almost certainly be an historic gender gap and I imagine she'd receive near Obama levels of black support.

Her negatives
  • Inexperienced: this is obviously out the window as a talking point for Republicans
  • She's given platforms to conspiracy theorists(anti-vaxxers most notably): this would also be a difficult line of attack for obvious reasons
  • Never been properly vetted as she would in a political campaign: this is the only real liability. What skeletons does she have in her closet? This is a legitimate concern if you nominate her.

As someone who abhors nearly everything Dems stand for, I'm a lot more worried about a ticket with Oprah on it than I am one with Biden, Warren, Cuomo, etc.
Yes but this works both ways NEO. If the Dems do run Oprah then all their complaints about Trump become null & void and they look like gross hypocrites whose opposition to Trump wasn't principal based but partisan (which it was but some don't know that). Also, with Oprah in the ring a big part of the democrat attack against Trump is eliminated becasue as you point out she will be a mirror image of Trump.
Old 01-10-18, 10:43 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Her negatives

As someone who abhors nearly everything Dems stand for, I'm a lot more worried about a ticket with Oprah on it than I am one with Biden, Warren, Cuomo, etc.
You forgot to mention other negatives like alienating the older vote and attacking men in her Golden Globes speech. This woman is just another divisive racist like the one we had to tolerate for 8 years. This woman made her billions off middle class white women and when you really listen to her you'll see she really does not like white people. She is a hypocrite and a liar. If she does run the opposition needs to emphasize her racist and hateful views towards people who aren't like her.
Old 01-10-18, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

Oprah is an amazing speaker and would easily reel in the men she "lost" with that GG speech

And now she's racist. Can always count on MoeDud
Old 01-10-18, 11:10 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Is there anyone else find it just a little bit strange how smart Trump got all of a sudden according the liberal press yesterday by holding a meeting and announcing he is willing to cave to the D's on immigration.
Old 01-10-18, 01:00 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Oprah is an amazing speaker and would easily reel in the men she "lost" with that GG speech

Right, I'm sure racism, sexism, and homophobia are suddenly going to drop out of the Democratic platform with an Oprah nomination.
Old 01-10-18, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Yes she is! I love how people like you are so quick to point to racist behavior in whites but turn a blind eye when a person of color shows racist attitudes. Racism is a two way street and the election of Barrack Obama brought black on white racism out of the closet. If all kinds of racism are not dealt with, then there will never be a resolution.
Old 01-10-18, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Obama changed the dynamic and poisoned the well, there will be no chance for another black president for at least a generation. Oprah brings nothing to the table for change, she is more of the same Obama message. Just like Hillary couldn't rekindle Bill's euphoria, Oprah will fail trying to capture Obama's.
Old 01-10-18, 11:34 PM

Quote:

So BlueJayFan, you still going to argue that she's not a racist?
Old 01-11-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Yes she is! I love how people like you are so quick to point to racist behavior in whites but turn a blind eye when a person of color shows racist attitudes. Racism is a two way street and the election of Barrack Obama brought black on white racism out of the closet. If all kinds of racism are not dealt with, then there will never be a resolution.
MoeDude, this is a simple yet powerful truth. The problem can never be solved as long as people are in denial of this. The notion that racism can only flow in one direction is ludicrous. The academic belief that only those with "power" can be racist is muddled thinking. If a billionaire is walking down the street and a lowlife sticks a gun in his face who has the "power" at that moment?

We either oppose racism in all it's forms or we are okay with racism. You can't pick & choose. This is a moral absolute, no a la carte allowed. The idea that seems to be in play that certain groups are exempt from this is ruinous to race relations and will condemn us to experience the problem over & over again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: