Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-25-18, 09:17 AM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I was told that SCC only has around 145 high school kids presently, with only 60-65 boys. It's really hard to maintain decent football and soccer programs with those numbers.

As somebody that's familiar with them and that went to Catholic schools until junior high, the main problem IMO is grads leaving Springfield for college and never returning due to a lack of quality jobs in the area. Cost is definitely a factor, but they are running out of generational Catholic Central families that would be willing to sacrifice to pay the cost. You see this at their basketball games now that they've gotten better again. The fanbase is mainly people age 55 and older.

That's the main problem with their football program. At the moment they've run out of the right traditional Catholic kids that carried them through the 2000s and early 2010s, and through earlier good times. There aren't any Kelly's, Wagner's, DeWitt's, or kids of other such names that were predicably studs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Great points. Do you know about how much tuition is?
Old 10-25-18, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
Great points. Do you know about how much tuition is?
$8,400 a year for high school, and $7,600 if you are an "active parishioner", i.e. give regularly on Sundays. These rates are actually among the cheapest in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.

I think what really hurts in terms of "broadening the base" and getting more non-Catholics is that K-8 tuition has skyrocketed as they've consolidated parish schools. Grade school they charge $5,750 and $3,350 depending on your parishioner status. 15 years ago my parish school was charging roughly $1,000 with decent discounts for having multiple children. They still have discounts, but they don't go nearly as far.

I'm of the belief that in the near future they'll have to get a good influx of voucher kids or they'll be shutting their doors like many other smaller town Catholic schools have done across the state. The kids and the local parish money is just not there anymore to do this without making huge financial sacrifices.

Old 10-25-18, 08:11 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Week 10 already and the close of a season for a majority of HS teams. Good time to get a win either to add momentum into next year or into the playoffs.

Cedarville over CC - complete the sweep of CC for the year. Hopefully they can find some answers to get more kids involved in program. As posted above seems like uphill battle.

Gview over MP - no chance for Plains even with opportunity to share title with win. Gview wins south outright and heads into brutal region 20 playoff schedule

WLS over NE - WLS ending the year with an easy win and another season where a good football team is likely left out of playoffs.

WJ over Triad - no letdown for the riders and an important game to win to roll into playoffs as well as share of league title. Don't want a silly loss to put you as a #7 or #8 in region 20.

Greenon over SE - Greenon picks up the win to take hold of 2nd place in south and improve headed into next year.

BURG over Fbanks - said before I believe BURG and WLS both match up better against Fbanks than WJ did and look for BURG to win by at least 14.

Good luck to all teams as we close out regular season.
Old 10-25-18, 08:53 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I was told that SCC only has around 145 high school kids presently, with only 60-65 boys. It's really hard to maintain decent football and soccer programs with those numbers.

As somebody that's familiar with them and that went to Catholic schools until junior high, the main problem IMO is grads leaving Springfield for college and never returning due to a lack of quality jobs in the area. Cost is definitely a factor, but they are running out of generational Catholic Central families that would be willing to sacrifice to pay the cost. You see this at their basketball games now that they've gotten better again. The fanbase is mainly people age 55 and older.

That's the main problem with their football program. At the moment they've run out of the right traditional Catholic kids that carried them through the 2000s and early 2010s, and through earlier good times. There aren't any Kelly's, Wagner's, DeWitt's, or kids of other such names that were predicably studs.

They have both?! That don't help either.
Old 10-25-18, 09:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
They have both?! That don't help either.
Yeah, they still field both. Their soccer program is usually a league and area power and they seem to be way down as well.

Back in my day they had maybe 90-95 boys and had state caliber programs in both sports. I believe in 2007 they made it to the state semi-finals in football and won state in soccer. The numbers drop hurts, but they used to get it done at a high level with fairly small numbers. They just don't have the studs they used to in either of those sports.

Old 10-25-18, 11:28 PM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
High school sports tend to be cyclical. CCHS is down in every sport except girls Xc and most of those girls also play soccer. Small schools can’t afford two or three bad sports classes in a row.
Old 10-26-18, 10:56 AM
All District

Unfortunately for CC, the slope will get more slippery as they face all these challenges!!!

It is hard to re-build a program (at least in football) where you don't have enough bodies to practice efficiently to compete in the league your in (you can pick your non-league games). It is also hard to sell and keep the kids and parents engaged with the concept/importance of football and how it can provide life lessons when your team is getting beat each week by such large margins. That is what happen to my old school, which has yet to recover and be what they use to be as a program. It is disappointing, and much to my dislike, but football just isn't important like it use to be back home.

I do give the kids and coaches at CC credit for NOT quitting and showing up every week to do the best they could to compete. That does take at least some level of grit and commitment!!!
Old 10-26-18, 11:29 AM
All Region

Jet19 is an unknown quantity at this point
They have last week's WLS vs WJ game on the readyfm archive. Just gave that a listen this morning. That was a good ballgame. Think Burg vs Banks will be a good one tonight too. Greenon at Southkeebstern is a decent one in the south.
Old 10-26-18, 02:08 PM
Freshman

spit-toon is on a distinguished road
3 fri nights in a row mother nature may play a part in the outcome!!!! Should be a fun week 10...
Old 10-26-18, 05:57 PM
All Region

I got the Burg vs the Banks on Champaign sports authority website. Should be a good one! Good luck to everyone tonight. Wish all the best to you seniors!
Old 10-26-18, 08:55 PM
All Region

All I can say wow after listening to the Burg vs Banks game. Classic
Old 10-27-18, 12:24 AM
All District

roughriderpride is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Fairbanks and West Jeff for sharing the OHC north title this season!
Congrats to Greenview for the south title once again!
Old 10-28-18, 12:15 PM
All Region

So who do all you folks think is going to week 12?? Burg will have everything they can handle with St Henry. I think WJ can take CHCA. Don't know much about the Banks or Views opponents.
Old 10-28-18, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

I don't know anything about Fairbanks opponent, but it's nearly a 2 1/2 hour, 134 mile drive from Fairbanks to Fort Frye. That's a huge advantage. Last year they lost a close playoff game to the team that won R23.

Mechanicsburg is probably playing one of the 3-4 best teams in their division in round 1.

I'm not sure how great Madeira's and CHCA's wins are, but their mutual losses IMO (Wyoming and Indian Hill) are against teams Greeneview and WJ would stand little chance against. Madeira also lost by a couple scores against Ft. Loramie, who's probably better than all but 2-3 teams in D7.

I think the OHC has it's work cut out for them this week. I think Greeneview and WJ are probably tossups. Mechanicsburg and Fairbanks are big underdogs this week.

Old 10-28-18, 01:09 PM
All District

wresfan is on a distinguished road
Gview should roll to week 12 no problrm
Old 10-29-18, 07:34 AM
All Region

Playoff picks

West Jefferson over CHCA although CHCA is a good football team I think WJ will find a way to win.

Fairbanks over Fort Frye don't know much about this team but I think Fairbanks improved and impressed more than just about any other team around here since week one.

St Henry over Mechanicsburg the dirty butt Burg isn't who I thought they were after that KR win week one. Have not been all that impressed after OHC North play. I thought the Burg was a lock for 10-0 after that WLS game. Plus the Mac is always a pain in the rear end.

Greeneview over Madeira again not familiar with this team but I think if Greeneview and the Burg played right now that Greeneview would win that ball game and be the only 10-0 team in our area. I believe they were the only 9-1 team in the OHC/CBC area save London who joins the CBC next season. Looking for the View to win here.

Good luck to all the OHC teams playing week 11. Very good possibility we can go 4-0 in week 11, and there's also a good possibility we go 0-4. Gotta love the playoffs. Sucks to see another tough WLS team miss week 11 this season, but it's the little mistakes that kill your season, like bad execution with your back to the wall at the end of a ball game. Bet WLS wishes they had a week 2 do over. Have a great week everyone!!
Old 10-29-18, 10:16 AM
Freshman

OHFootballGURU is on a distinguished road
Be ready for a big donut this week. This conference is very poor this year. Only a couple teams in this conference have the ability to put the ball in the air. Very one dimensional overall. Burgs game will be over by half. The other games will linger into the second half. Greenview is the only one who has a chance but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Good luck OHC! your going to need it. Again a team with no identity and 1980's cartoon character for a mascot(Fairbanks) shared the league championship. Let that sink in! Oh and the other team(West Jeff) is the worst they have been in a decade. Not even a truly good West Jeff team was at the top of this conference. They are a shadow of what they once were. I do expect them get back to a higher level eventually. They are in a good location and should continue to have athletes. I know this conference would love to be like the MAC but as of now that is only a pipe dream. These playoffs will be one heck of a reality check. Good luck everyone.
Old 10-29-18, 12:07 PM
Junior Varsity

Grevw fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFootballGURU View Post
Be ready for a big donut this week. This conference is very poor this year. Only a couple teams in this conference have the ability to put the ball in the air. Very one dimensional overall. Burgs game will be over by half. The other games will linger into the second half. Greenview is the only one who has a chance but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Good luck OHC! your going to need it. Again a team with no identity and 1980's cartoon character for a mascot(Fairbanks) shared the league championship. Let that sink in! Oh and the other team(West Jeff) is the worst they have been in a decade. Not even a truly good West Jeff team was at the top of this conference. They are a shadow of what they once were. I do expect them get back to a higher level eventually. They are in a good location and should continue to have athletes. I know this conference would love to be like the MAC but as of now that is only a pipe dream. These playoffs will be one heck of a reality check. Good luck everyone.

Get that crap out of here...Good luck to all of the OHC teams this week!!! We will cheering for you all!!!
Old 10-29-18, 12:10 PM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFootballGURU View Post
I agree that the OHC is down this year. That being said, Madeira is awful. They have one very good player at WR and one other pretty good player at TE but the rest of the team is just average. They lost by 70 this year and didn't beat one good team all season (DP is not that good). They have also never won a playoff game. I think Greeneview will be able to run the ball with Payton and Clevenger and will get a win. I think we all agree that Mechanicsburg has very little shot. Conley will be a good player and could eventually lead them to a run but not this season. Fairbanks has had a nice season but playing an undefeated Fort Frye (who may be the favorite in the region) is not a good draw. I see them losing by 2 scores. West Jeff has a shot to win at home. I am not sure if Williams will play or not but they get the advantage of playing CHCA on grass. The Eagles lost 2 games to division 4 playoff teams and beat 2 division 7 playoff teams. They have a lot of speed on the outside but they aren't physical like some previous Eagles teams have been. If WJ can eliminate big mistakes I think they win by a TD. It will be a close game but I think the Riders being at home will help.
Old 10-29-18, 12:45 PM
All District

First of all congrats to Fairbanks & WJ for winning (sharing) North title and congrats to Greenview for coasting to another South title. Winning a league title should always be on the goal list each year, I don't care how strong or weak your league is.

Fairbanks can score some points with their "backyard playbook" (stole this from another poster) style of offense and if their defense can make some plays they should have a shot at winning even on the road. Big win against BURG as the North did end up beating up on one another this year, which is what you want headed into the playoffs with close games that check your metal.

WJ has played CHCA 3 times and are 2-1, but did lose the last contest. CHCA always has some skilled playmakers which can give WJ trouble. I said before I think WJ is still 1-2 notches below last years team and 3-4 notches some of the teams in the past decade. They do have tons of talent coming through the system to potentially get back to a point of being a serious contender for at least a Regional title. WJ needs to turn this into a slugfest and not give up big plays.

BURG will have to bounce back quickly, and like WJ have hooked up with MAC teams several times of the past few years. While the results are dismal, you know what to expect and BURG is in week 11 with an opportunity to win a game. I am sure BURG will welcome the challenge and play a tough game.

Greenview actually hitting the road in week 11 by a fraction. WJ went to Maderia in '14 and beat them pretty soundly 36-14. Greenview has coasted the last 4 weeks, so they are either well rested or not quite as sharp as they might otherwise be, but don't think it matter either way in week 11.......we will soon find out

As far as the chatter about weak league crap, we all realize the OHC is nothing like the MAC, but then again not many conferences across the state are!!! The teams headed to the playoffs this year for the OHC are all solid teams and are capable of winning week 11, week 12 gets a substantially tougher for all of them, but hey we are in the show and get the opportunity to play which is better than setting at home watching!!! You can be one dimensional and win lots of football games in HS especially at the lower division teams. Several teams have proved that recently. You have to play defense, make some plays and avoid turnovers.

Good luck to all the OHC teams this weekend!!!
Old 10-30-18, 09:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelace View Post
As a WJ player, we're confident going into the game vs CHCA. We have playmakers at most positions and as big as this doesn't sound we're practicing Friday which makes a pretty big difference according to Coach B. We've come off a good season with losses that probably helped us more than hurt us. Congrats to Fairbanks as well for sharing league title and congrats to G-View for getting it in the South. Good luck to all teams R1!
Good luck!! I'll have it on the radio dial hopefully. I know Greeneview had a few clashes with CHCA a few years back. Might be some film you boys should look into. They had one like 6-8 guy back then but the turnover at private schools can be so unpredictable in football. And as im sure you know sometimes everything you practiced can go up in flams right after kickoff. Lol. Again, good luck guys! Hope you get one for yourselves and the conference.
Old 10-30-18, 06:23 PM
All Region

And I must have deja Vu or something because I see the same "the OHC isn't the Mac" bull every season. Get over yourselves big shots. Give it a few years and I think Burg, WLS, WJ, Fairbanks, and Northeastern will be better contenders on a state level than ever. Thanks to what's going on with this new two division OHC. My assessment is the North play the last two seasons is better than anyone thought it would be and the south hasn't been as good quality of football as everyone would like to have but that's ok. It happens in small town football. Greeneview has really made the south better and Greenon going 6-4 means a lot more than people think. I can't remember the last time Greenon and Northwestern both had winning teams being an old CBC guy. Congrats to the warriors on their first playoff birth in school history as well. Might not be a bad football program to add to the OHC if things continue to go sour at Catholic Central. Bout all I got gents. Have a good week of practice and have fun. That's what it's all about. And winning is fun!
Old 10-30-18, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

The top 3-4 teams in the OHC IMO are usually about as good as the top 3-4 teams in any small school league around the state sans the MAC. I think this league gets doinked a bit due to the frequency of early round MAC matchups booting OHC teams that could otherwise win some playoff games.

The last time NW and Greenon both had winning seasons was in 2006, Jet. It's been a while. It's been trendy to talk OHC for a while, but IMO they're too big enrollment wise and depending on divisional alignment could have a lot of really lopsided outcomes in sports like softball and boys and girls soccer that would be both bad for their programs and for the OHC schools that are really struggling to build programs in those sports.

I enjoy the OHC non-league games, but football and boys' basketball would have to go through some really uncompetitive times for me to want to not be in the same conference as KR, Graham and Shawnee.

Old 10-30-18, 08:01 PM
All Region

Didn't Coldwater and some other MAC schools have a grade in between kindergarten and first? Then field a bunch of 20 year olds in hs? What was that grade called?
Old 10-30-18, 08:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Didn't Coldwater and some other MAC schools have a grade in between kindergarten and first? Then field a bunch of 20 year olds in hs? What was that grade called?
No one on our team played over the age of 18 but yes we used to have an adjusted 1st grade class for students who weren't ready academically for first grade. That caused us to have some people graduate at the age of 19 (myself included I took 2 years of preschool). The reason why we had it? We had mostly half day kindergarten classes and one full time one starting when I was in Kindergarten. Around 2010, all of our Kindergarten classes went to full day and that class was no longer necessary. 20 year old's that's funny.
Old 10-30-18, 08:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
No one on our team played over the age of 18 but yes we used to have an adjusted 1st grade class for students who weren't ready academically for first grade. That caused us to have some people graduate at the age of 19 (myself included I took 2 years of preschool). The reason why we had it? We had mostly half day kindergarten classes and one full time one starting when I was in Kindergarten. Around 2010, all of our Kindergarten classes went to full day and that class was no longer necessary. 20 year old's that's funny.
Was it just a coincidence that all these kids that needed seven years of kindergarten played football too? And were other MAC schools doing the same thing?
Old 10-30-18, 09:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Was it just a coincidence that all these kids that needed seven years of kindergarten played football too? And were other MAC schools doing the same thing?
No one took 7 years of Kindergarten. Where are you even talking about?
Old 10-30-18, 09:13 PM
All Yappi

There's a lot of reasons why MAC teams dominate and none of them have to do with having 20 year olds.

Old 10-30-18, 09:35 PM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
I would agree that there are many reasons why the MAC is good. However I'm not so quick to say that one of those reasons isn't that they have kids that are older than some other school areas. It may not seem like it but there's a big difference between and 18 and 19 yr old
Old 10-30-18, 09:42 PM
All Yappi

The thing that always sticks out to me is height/length, and that doesn't really make a difference between being 18 or 19. People from up there are just big, and it is generic. Just read through the names on their rosters.

Add that with other factors such as having among the lowest poverty and unemployment in the state (i.e. more social stability) and a culture that's very supportive of athletics, and you've got yourself a winner.