Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-16-18, 10:42 PM
All Region

Jet19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
I don’t see why they wouldn’t
It'd be worth it for them to look into a flex schedule for TNL after week five or six next season like the NFL did with the Bengals game Sunday night.

Last edited by Jet19; 10-17-18 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 06:43 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
^^^
lol

Where is everyone?

I can't believe this thread is so silent this week.
Old 10-17-18, 07:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Grevw fan is on a distinguished road
Hey color...whats your take on your game this week...its game of the year in the north!!
Old 10-17-18, 08:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevw fan View Post
Hey color...whats your take on your game this week...its game of the year in the north!!
Well, to be honest - about the same as it was going into the Mechanicsburg game.

I feel like WLS has the athletes, but the trenches is where this game will be won. Defensively it will come down to pressure on WJ's QB - which WLS didn't get much of against Fairbanks.

I haven't gotten to see WJ, but I assume that they're big and physical. I would guess that this could be a shoot-out, whichever team's defense makes the most stops wins. Interesting fact that WLS & WJ are the 2 highest scoring offenses in the OHC North, WLS is the top scoring overall and WJ is 3rd (1 point behind Greeneview).

WLS missed a playoff berth at 8-2 last year, they should be well aware that a win likely gets them back in the playoffs and that a loss certainly knocks them out. Interestingly enough, West Jefferson is likely in even with a loss.

This game was super chippy last year, level headedness and discipline football will also be a difference maker.
Old 10-17-18, 09:06 AM
Junior Varsity

I have not looked is the game at west lib. Or west jeff...This one might be worth going to check out ...
Old 10-17-18, 09:16 AM
All District

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Just remembering the dialog this post game brought to the 2017 OHC thread. Have at it boys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cville-OMW View Post
As I said earlier a great start to what I anticipate to be a really really heated rivalry between 2 proud tough football schools. It was an awesome atmosphere for football on Friday night and WLS came out and punched WJ in the mouth the 1st quarter, controlling the line of scrimmage and holding WJ on 2 separate occasions close to the goal line.
Glad to see the WLS QB get some reps although it appeared he was a bit rusty, he did give WLS a chance to get back in the game after falling behind in the 2nd quarter. WJ responded and took control of the line of scrimmage as the big boys for WLS seemed to get tired and WJ was able to do their normal rotation. One of the keys for me was WJ giving Lambert time to throw the ball and he made WLS pay. WJ dropped 2-3 add'l deep balls when behind WLS defenders.

I though both teams played hard and came out win some big hits looking to flex their muscle. On the field there was crap talking by BOTH teams, which I never like but it has creeped into the game based on what they see out of college & pro teams!!! I do know Coach B doesn't not promote this and if kids are caught they will be dealt with harshly. The WJ kids are taught to be hard nose physical kids and when getting punched in the mouth out and a team is being more physical, you have to respond, which WJ did. I don't like the chitty chatter between teams, but I do not believe either team was being dirty, just really really physical.

With respect to the end zone mess, I was standing close by (my usual spot at games) as I can't stand to be in the stands. There was banter back and forth with at least 1 older WJ person yapping at a kid and several younger WJ kids yapping as well. What really surprised me was the response out of the WLS kids. WJ kids are taught to never, I mean never, interact with officials, other team coaches and certainly not fans, no matter what is going on. You simply ignore them and take care of your business on the field. 3-4 of the WLS kids were pointing at the scoreboard and yapping back at the fans when they went up 13-3 and were also grabbing the front of their jerseys pointing to I assume the team name or nickname on the front of their jerseys (my eyes are bad).

Overall a hard fought game and I expect many many more between these 2. Having WLS, BURG and some of the other up and coming OHC teams will force teams to continue to work at getting better to stay ahead of the group.

Reply from a Tiger fan:
There have been a lot of explanations and reasons as to why things went south during the game, both on and off the field, but the facts are the facts. I have a whole new respect for the Mechanicsburg rivalry and how they dominated for so many years, how they play clean, hard nosed football, and how they just took care of business and moved on. They dominated with class, even though you hated them for it, which is what builds a good, strong rivalry. I only replied to this post because so many of the other posts concerning the WJ/WLS game were a joke. Posts that blamed the referees for not handling the occurrence in the end zone (which they did by stopping the game and having the AD talk to those in the end zone, some of which were filming the game for WJ). Posts that said playing dirty is a part of the game (I would assume that most of us reading this have played football at some level, and if you have had to resort to grabbing crotches, stomping on hands and punching under a pile, then you were dirty player, and/or were getting it handed to you on the scoreboard). If you justify those actions or especially the actions from fans watching, then you have much deeper issues than what happened in this game. Another post said that the WJ adults in the end zone were only yelling at the players on the field, and that WJ students were the ones grabbing their crotches at the players (which is absolutely false). I can assure you that the WLS coaches and administrators would never allow that to go on with the WLS fans (especially adults) that attend their games. I have watched many WLS games for over 30+ years and have never seen that at one of their games. Did some of the WLS players react inappropriately because of what was going on out on the field? Yes. I still stand by my 'dirty player' comments, whether it is tolerated by the WJ coaches or not. And after seeing the actions of some of the WJ fans (parents) in the end zone, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where they get that from. Facts are facts. The cockiness and arrogance from 'some' (not generalizing) of these WJ fans should be all more reason to just own it. Dirty football is dirty football. Period. Don't try to dismiss it because it is a "part of football". The OHC has been a league that plays clean, hard nosed football, for many years. WLS was dominated on Friday night because of many reasons. The coaches tried to be tricky and not warm up the Woodruff boy so that WJ wouldn't think he wasn't playing. The QB then proceeded to throw multiple interceptions and never had any impact on the game. The WLS DB's got completely owned by a very, very good QB from WJ. And the WJ team in general just dominated in all areas. That is the bottom line. My only advice would be to take some notes from Mechanicsburg on how to win with class, although I wouldn't expect a run like they experienced over the past 4 seasons. Now I have officially moved on to week 10. And only for the sake of the OHC conference, I hope that WJ makes a deep run in the playoffs.
Old 10-17-18, 09:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
Just remembering the dialog this post game brought to the 2017 OHC thread. Have at it boys!

Quote:
As I said earlier a great start to what I anticipate to be a really really heated rivalry between 2 proud tough football schools. It was an awesome atmosphere for football on Friday night and WLS came out and punched WJ in the mouth the 1st quarter, controlling the line of scrimmage and holding WJ on 2 separate occasions close to the goal line.
Glad to see the WLS QB get some reps although it appeared he was a bit rusty, he did give WLS a chance to get back in the game after falling behind in the 2nd quarter. WJ responded and took control of the line of scrimmage as the big boys for WLS seemed to get tired and WJ was able to do their normal rotation. One of the keys for me was WJ giving Lambert time to throw the ball and he made WLS pay. WJ dropped 2-3 add'l deep balls when behind WLS defenders.

I though both teams played hard and came out win some big hits looking to flex their muscle. On the field there was crap talking by BOTH teams, which I never like but it has creeped into the game based on what they see out of college & pro teams!!! I do know Coach B doesn't not promote this and if kids are caught they will be dealt with harshly. The WJ kids are taught to be hard nose physical kids and when getting punched in the mouth out and a team is being more physical, you have to respond, which WJ did. I don't like the chitty chatter between teams, but I do not believe either team was being dirty, just really really physical.

With respect to the end zone mess, I was standing close by (my usual spot at games) as I can't stand to be in the stands. There was banter back and forth with at least 1 older WJ person yapping at a kid and several younger WJ kids yapping as well. What really surprised me was the response out of the WLS kids. WJ kids are taught to never, I mean never, interact with officials, other team coaches and certainly not fans, no matter what is going on. You simply ignore them and take care of your business on the field. 3-4 of the WLS kids were pointing at the scoreboard and yapping back at the fans when they went up 13-3 and were also grabbing the front of their jerseys pointing to I assume the team name or nickname on the front of their jerseys (my eyes are bad).

Overall a hard fought game and I expect many many more between these 2. Having WLS, BURG and some of the other up and coming OHC teams will force teams to continue to work at getting better to stay ahead of the group.

Reply from a Tiger fan:
There have been a lot of explanations and reasons as to why things went south during the game, both on and off the field, but the facts are the facts. I have a whole new respect for the Mechanicsburg rivalry and how they dominated for so many years, how they play clean, hard nosed football, and how they just took care of business and moved on. They dominated with class, even though you hated them for it, which is what builds a good, strong rivalry. I only replied to this post because so many of the other posts concerning the WJ/WLS game were a joke. Posts that blamed the referees for not handling the occurrence in the end zone (which they did by stopping the game and having the AD talk to those in the end zone, some of which were filming the game for WJ). Posts that said playing dirty is a part of the game (I would assume that most of us reading this have played football at some level, and if you have had to resort to grabbing crotches, stomping on hands and punching under a pile, then you were dirty player, and/or were getting it handed to you on the scoreboard). If you justify those actions or especially the actions from fans watching, then you have much deeper issues than what happened in this game. Another post said that the WJ adults in the end zone were only yelling at the players on the field, and that WJ students were the ones grabbing their crotches at the players (which is absolutely false). I can assure you that the WLS coaches and administrators would never allow that to go on with the WLS fans (especially adults) that attend their games. I have watched many WLS games for over 30+ years and have never seen that at one of their games. Did some of the WLS players react inappropriately because of what was going on out on the field? Yes. I still stand by my 'dirty player' comments, whether it is tolerated by the WJ coaches or not. And after seeing the actions of some of the WJ fans (parents) in the end zone, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where they get that from. Facts are facts. The cockiness and arrogance from 'some' (not generalizing) of these WJ fans should be all more reason to just own it. Dirty football is dirty football. Period. Don't try to dismiss it because it is a "part of football". The OHC has been a league that plays clean, hard nosed football, for many years. WLS was dominated on Friday night because of many reasons. The coaches tried to be tricky and not warm up the Woodruff boy so that WJ wouldn't think he wasn't playing. The QB then proceeded to throw multiple interceptions and never had any impact on the game. The WLS DB's got completely owned by a very, very good QB from WJ. And the WJ team in general just dominated in all areas. That is the bottom line. My only advice would be to take some notes from Mechanicsburg on how to win with class, although I wouldn't expect a run like they experienced over the past 4 seasons. Now I have officially moved on to week 10. And only for the sake of the OHC conference, I hope that WJ makes a deep run in the playoffs.
Quit stirring the pot.
Old 10-17-18, 10:00 AM
All Region

Is OHC a WLS fan, by the way?
Old 10-17-18, 02:29 PM
All Region

Is Greeneview vs Catholic Central still on TV tomorrow night?? Saw that yappi posted it was going to be Kenton Ridge vs Northwestern?? That'd be two weeks in a row on the ole boob tube for KR. Wish they'd show WLS vs WJ but that's probably out of their market.

Last edited by Jet19; 10-17-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 03:36 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
Is OHC a WLS fan, by the way?
Now who's !
Been down that road! I can only take from his or hers post they like the tigers more than the Dirty Burg or Rough Riders in that particular post.

I have real thoughts on the West on West game but really want to read some BS on here first.

Last edited by Down The Road; 10-17-18 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot a s
Old 10-17-18, 03:37 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Is Greeneview vs Catholic Central still on TV tomorrow night?? Saw that yappi posted it was going to be Kenton Ridge vs Northwestern?? That'd be two weeks in a row on the ole boob tube for KR. Wish they'd show WLS vs WJ but that's probably out of their market.
Seems like the tanning bed investment may have paid off!
Old 10-17-18, 03:54 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post

Yes it is still on tv tomorrow night
Old 10-17-18, 05:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Now who's !
Been down that road! I can only take from his or hers post they like the tigers more than the Dirty Burg or Rough Riders in that particular post.

I have real thoughts on the West on West game but really want to read some BS on here first.
Well, West Jeff posters have been super quiet and WLS posters dont post BS, sooooooo.... haha

West Jeff is the favorite in this game. Probably by 2 scores. WLS will need to play their best game of the season.
Old 10-17-18, 08:47 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
DTR deff pot stirring!!! I do expect another heated battle against two traditionally power, tough teams. As last year, and actually agreeing with WLS that trenches war will win this game. WJ not as good of team as last year and much more one dementional than prior teams. From what I have seen and heard WLS brings a nice passing attack to the table again this year, and WJ brings a pretty stout rushing game.

I think the team who plays better defense will pull this one out. If WJ plays like they did against Fairbanks then WLS will win by 2 scores. If WJ comes out like they did against BURG then I see WJ winni g this one.

Just love these type of games as you know it almost always is going to produce some fireworks with 2 teams trying to impose their will on the other.

Last edited by Cville-OMW; 10-17-18 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 09:04 PM
All District

As for all the other games of week 9:

Gview over CC - the nail is almost punched for the -0- for CC. Gview resting and gett`n ready for week 11

Greenon over Cedarville- really surprised at Cedarville tumble after how they played WJ but Greenon setting up key matchup with SE in week 10

Fbanks over Triad - good season for both teams but triad still in pretender category, Fbanks need this one before wrapping up w/BURG

SE over MP - SE needs this game to set up week 10 showdown with Greenon

BURG over NE - making it ugly early for BURG before big week 10 matchup

WJ over WLS - should be another chippy, tough, brutal contest but think WJ wins the trenches and pulls away in 2nd half.

Good luck to all and looking forward to another great night of HS football.
Old 10-17-18, 10:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
Seems like the tanning bed investment may have paid off!
You mean bottles of spray tan with a little cougar poop mixed in??
Old 10-18-18, 06:22 AM
All District

In the WJ vs WLS game I do think it will be a good game especially with a share of the OHC title on the line and a must have for the Tigers to get to the playoffs. From what I have seen of both teams it depends on what they choose to do. WLS apparently ran the ball very effectively against Fairbanks and that will be a key Friday is to stay balanced vs what can be a tough WJ defense. West Jeff's defensive scheme vs the Burg and Fairbanks and well most all weeks leading up to the Burg looked totally different. If the Rough riders use that 1/4's scheme and don't walk anyone up ....well Cedarville put up several points if they use what they did against the Burg I would think WLS have a hard time keeping a balanced attack and need to throw regularly. I think had WJ played the 2nd defense vs Fairbanks they would've had a better chance in that one it's almost like they didn't want to show it even at the risk (and reality) of losing a winnable game. I do feel like WLS may have a playmaker or 2 more than WJ, WJ has A bigger stouter line with a couple outstanding skill kids 6 & 35 - don't sleep on 25 either. Riders will play through the echo of the whistle + 1 mississippi and the Tigers have some technique that can create penalty's so untimely flags may well be a factor too. My guess is it's a good one but being at Kile field I think the edge has to go to West Jeff albeit a small edge.
Old 10-18-18, 10:15 AM
All District

DTR what a politically correct post, LOVE IT and did make me laugh out loud..............that is why I personally will never refer to you as Dirty Burg!!!!!

I do think matchups can make games and WJ matches up better against BURG and WLS than they do Fbanks. WJ had a difficult time with Fbanks last year and I would put this year's WJ team 2-3 notches below last years team. I also had a big problem with WJ effort against Fbanks compared to that against BURG.

I would be shocked if WJ comes out flat against an opponent like WLS, at home, with alot riding on the game, most important with a team that wants to smack you in the mouth. I said all last year WLS was a dangerous team, when many counted them out last week against Fbanks they rallied the troups and picked up a huge win. I expect the same effort from them tomorrow!!!
Old 10-18-18, 10:26 AM
Junior Varsity

GoBucks15 is on a distinguished road
WJ vs WLS is going to be a fun one Friday night! TO be completely honest, I have no respect for WLS. From things I've seen on the football field to the way the head basketball coach acts on the sidelines......NO CLASS! I would love to see WJ come out and smack them boys right in the mouth and knock them out of the playoffs! Roughriders will be sending them boys back to WLS on a quiet bus!!

WJ 35 WLS 21
Old 10-18-18, 11:15 AM
All District

Quote:
As for all the other games of week 9:

Gview over CC - the nail is almost punched for the -0- for CC. Gview resting and gett`n ready for week 11

Greenon over Cedarville- really surprised at Cedarville tumble after how they played WJ but Greenon setting up key matchup with SE in week 10

Fbanks over Triad - good season for both teams but triad still in pretender category, Fbanks need this one before wrapping up w/BURG

SE over MP - SE needs this game to set up week 10 showdown with Greenon

BURG over NE - making it ugly early for BURG before big week 10 matchup

WJ over WLS - should be another chippy, tough, brutal contest but think WJ wins the trenches and pulls away in 2nd half.

Good luck to all and looking forward to another great night of HS football.
I hope the boys can get after it early and find some mojo pre halftime
Get the creek on the rise! I'm excited for what is still ahead in this season let get on a roll! Rock 'em
Old 10-18-18, 11:21 AM
All District

Quote:
DTR what a politically correct post, LOVE IT and did make me laugh out loud..............that is why I personally will never refer to you as Dirty Burg!!!!!

I do think matchups can make games and WJ matches up better against BURG and WLS than they do Fbanks. WJ had a difficult time with Fbanks last year and I would put this year's WJ team 2-3 notches below last years team. I also had a big problem with WJ effort against Fbanks compared to that against BURG.

I would be shocked if WJ comes out flat against an opponent like WLS, at home, with alot riding on the game, most important with a team that wants to smack you in the mouth. I said all last year WLS was a dangerous team, when many counted them out last week against Fbanks they rallied the troups and picked up a huge win. I expect the same effort from them tomorrow!!!
I agree with you assessment of the match ups and from what I could see WJ looked different in lots of ways in those 2 games. And WLS is a dangerous team Woodruff is super accurate and pretty dang athletic.
Is this the tigers 1st ever Friday night football trip to Kile field? If so I'll be interested to their thoughts. I personally like the atmosphere as you can tell the Riders and the town take their football seriously.

And don't worry about the Dirty Burg. I personally own it and embrace it!
Old 10-18-18, 12:47 PM
All Region

bigfishsmallpond is on a distinguished road
What's this Dirty Burg crap? If playing tough is dirty, then The Burg is dirty. If being a proud American (which at times is darn near illegal in today's mamby pamby world) is dirty, then The Burg is filthy.

But there is no hitting after the whistle or cheap shots or not shaking hands after the game or chop blocking or running their mouth all game or anything else that would make a team "dirty".

Are The Burg kids going to hit you hard? ...Dude you better believe it.
Are The Burg kids going to be disciplined and tackle in swarms?... You know it.
Are The Burg kids going to invite their foes over for tea and crumpets and watch The Nutcracker after the game? ...You know darn well that ain't gonna happen.

I don't think any of those things are going to make someone a dirty team. If I'm picking guys I wanna be in a foxhole with when China attacks, it's gonna be guys like The Burg guys. A few schools out there might want to brush up on your Mandarin. Zh hǎo yn
Old 10-18-18, 01:47 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishsmallpond View Post
What's this Dirty Burg crap? If playing tough is dirty, then The Burg is dirty. If being a proud American (which at times is darn near illegal in today's mamby pamby world) is dirty, then The Burg is filthy.

But there is no hitting after the whistle or cheap shots or not shaking hands after the game or chop blocking or running their mouth all game or anything else that would make a team "dirty".

Are The Burg kids going to hit you hard? ...Dude you better believe it.
Are The Burg kids going to be disciplined and tackle in swarms?... You know it.
Are The Burg kids going to invite their foes over for tea and crumpets and watch The Nutcracker after the game? ...You know darn well that ain't gonna happen.

I don't think any of those things are going to make someone a dirty team. If I'm picking guys I wanna be in a foxhole with when China attacks, it's gonna be guys like The Burg guys. A few schools out there might want to brush up on your Mandarin. Zh hǎo yn
I love it Big Fish!
I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with on field play, because everything you said above is absolutely true!
I heard it being used as a derogatory phrase uttered towards us fine folks from the Burg not exactly sure what people are trying to say but I don't care.
I'm happy to own it. To me it just says we are tough, hard nosed people that regardless of perceived position in life are willing to roll up our sleeves and get the work done!
Old 10-18-18, 01:58 PM
All Region

I thought the Burg was a classy place now that they turned the VI into a smug beer kitchen?? Lol. My Grandma used to work at the old Chets and I made a lot of trips to the ole grain bins there in my casual farming days. Sucks they tore down the ole 76 Subway. Winners still has some darn good subs tho. I think the old men talking about who knows what at Winners could put up a fight against the Jets tomorrow night. Roll your sleeves up and go back to the Burg after the game and have a nice meade or pink mascato at the VI!! Dilly Dilly!!

Last edited by Jet19; 10-18-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 03:57 PM
All Region

Tell coach Forrest to take it easy on the ole Jets tomorrow night. We can grow some sweet mullets we just can't play football anymore.

Last edited by Jet19; 10-18-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 04:28 PM
All District

DTR..............well said, we here in Ruff or Rough Rider land don't give a crap about what people say about our program. We are hard nose, physical, tradition rich program that will flex our muscle every change we get.

If we do get beat, we take it like men and move on.

I'll take my WJ young men in a fox hole or down a dark alley anytime!!!
Old 10-18-18, 07:10 PM
All Region

First trip to Kile field for WLS.

And the only one calling Burg the Dirty Burg is the Burg posters, lol!
Old 10-19-18, 05:36 AM
Freshman

spit-toon is on a distinguished road
Interesting posts...west jeff, burg, are similar in what they want to do , wls is sometime dyslexic in what they do still a good football team just something off with them. Fairbanks is the 1 so called odd ball probably passes 70-75% of the time which stresses h.s. teams who dont have kids who can play in space ...OHC north are great games to watch.....football is a reflection of society in some ways the guys I watched respected the game and team ...the players now play for themselves and show their on TV..so kids see it think it's cool and how the game is played (look at me)....should be a fun 2 weeks heading into playoffs
Old 10-19-18, 06:37 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit-toon View Post
Interesting posts...west jeff, burg, are similar in what they want to do , wls is sometime dyslexic in what they do still a good football team just something off with them. Fairbanks is the 1 so called odd ball probably passes 70-75% of the time which stresses h.s. teams who dont have kids who can play in space ...OHC north are great games to watch.....football is a reflection of society in some ways the guys I watched respected the game and team ...the players now play for themselves and show their on TV..so kids see it think it's cool and how the game is played (look at me)....should be a fun 2 weeks heading into playoffs
Speaking of just being off and odd ball, this post was fantastic and made me cringe all in the same. Haha. The first time I read it I kind of cringed - but the second time I read it, I really enjoyed the entire thing. Great post spit-toon, seriously!

And to follow up on your point, when I played - we didn't have televised games or websites dedicated to high school football chatter, or playoff points, or predictions, etc, etc. We knew our league standings from the Saturday morning Examiner or Daily Citizen and the CBC's standings from the same. Other than that we were oblivious to our playoff standings or what was going on around the state. We had crappy VHS recordings that sometimes got shared by opposing coaches so we could watch film and a printed scouting report every week (about 25-30 hand drawn pages, xeroxed for the entire team). What that did create was an element of "unknown" which in turn created a much stronger bond between players. We could be the worst team in the state of Ohio playing the best team - but we truly believed we could win as a team if we played assignment, disciplined football.

I'm starting to sound like my father, but there are some things to miss about those "good ol days."
Old 10-19-18, 06:39 AM
All Region

Decent chance of rain for tonight. I said previously that I thought WJ was a 2 score favorite over WLS. If it rains, I think that only strengthens that prediction. WLS is going to need to pass the ball (successfully) to come out on top.