Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Suburban League American?
Aurora 4 22.22%
Barberton 1 5.56%
Copley 1 5.56%
Highland 2 11.11%
Kent Roosevelt 1 5.56%
Revere 1 5.56%
Tallmadge 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-17, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Tallmadge had (2) 1st Team, (1) 2nd team for sure I know of.

Seems a little low for a team who finished 2nd in league and went on to win D2 State Title.

Should have had at minimum 4 kids on (1) team based on performance.

League awards are a joke.....the whole you get X number of 1st team, 2nd team, etc. based on where you finish in the league is garbage.....sounds like the whole "let's give everyone a trophy" concept.

How about just select the best kids in the league irrelevant of what team they are from.
Old 07-25-17, 08:55 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
League awards should be based on the best players. Not slots for each team.
Old 07-26-17, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Come to realize that the process for choosing any all league selection is so subjective. Great players are great wherever and whenever they play. They excel both during high school and summer travel ball, and tournament play. That being said, certain kids chosen as "all league" selections can't get off the bench in travel baseball. Almost comical at times, as the only person who didn't realize any particular kid was not all conference worthy, was their high school coach. This is just another reason why high school baseball awards can be insignificant to most college coaches/recruiters.
Old 07-28-17, 02:12 PM
Junior Varsity

rookiecard is on a distinguished road
You guys need a hug? Sounds like some of you didn't get an award back in the 70's.

First of all Blue Devil hacker, the awards for all-league are picked well before state playoffs conclude. So whether or not your precious Tallmadge only got 2 first team nominees and not three makes your posting totally irrelevant. Have a little more knowledge as to how things are done in high school sports before you post please. Tallmadge should have taken care of business in the conference if it wanted more player awards, but I am pretty sure Kenny and the boys would give them all away for that ring they got in the end!! And that is what is so great about baseball, the state playoff system and getting hot at the right time is guys. It's about one and only one thing, the ring. Which is a TEAM effort. It is not won by individuals and who had more award winners. Get with the program fellas.

Secondly Hit n Trash... What do high school conference awards have to do with summer travel teams and why is it so comical? I bet you are a real treat to sit near in the stands critiquing that poor kid and his summer coach for choosing him.

I am not sure when high school awards became insignificant to most colleges coaches/recruiters either, I must have missed that memo, but they do matter. You should clarify exactly who "some kids who got all league awards can't get up off a travel team bench" are? If said kid with the all-league award is from a small D3-4 school, and has D1 teammates playing ahead of him, that is not his fault he got an award in a smaller school/conference. And let's say it is a D1 kid on a bench you are referring to with an all-league award, what if his school did poorly that season? He was one of the best players at that school at that time and deserved in the the eyes of his high school coaches. He was also probably a team leader and a pleasure to coach unlike some kids who make coaching miserable. Sometimes the guy without the best stats is more valuable to a team. Jose Ramirez is that guy for the Indians last year and this year, think about it. Where would they have been or be without him?

Thirdly to all you Haters out there in general...Why is everyone on this forum so happy to knock high school coaches? Do you realize how many head and assistant high school coaches also participate in summer programs? They are far more knowledgeable and dedicated to the sport than most of you people on this forum. If you are offended then that proves my point. You love to troll behind the computer. You sit back and throw out mean spirited postings without not having actually spent one minute in a high school program and all the time and effort that goes into it. it is all of you piling on the band wagon who are making the divide bigger between High School and Summer Leagues..NEW FLASH-kids need both of them, one is not more significant than the other. They have always gone hand in hand. Even when you all were a rotten little tomatoes, you had to play both and it was only park and rec back then in your day.

and BTW...Scouts/recruiters put more relevance on a high school game than summer ball games. Raise of hands out there, how many of you have actually talked to a Scout? that's what I thought....When do colleges play their games? oh yeah, in the cold, crappy, rainy, sometime snowing, windy spring. They know it is more of a barometer of how a kid can handle adversity rather than how he did in June/July in 80 degree, dry, near perfect weather. Yes, they like to see them in the summer as well, but don't think for a minute spring ball doesn't matter. Oh and one other thing..the MLB draft is first week of June not August, and kids who were only seen in the spring get drafted, summer ball is afterwards guys. No team is going to sit around and wait another year just to see a kid plays summer travel ball before drafting him..that ship would have sailed on a lot of teams missing out on blue chippers if that was how things were chronologically done. Maybe all of you travel ball lovers should petition MLB to change the draft to accommodate your summer kids.

I would love to see all the nonsense stop on these forums and see if any of you had better ideas how to make baseball better for kids, not criticizing all-league winners and high school coaches and being petty about how many awards a team should get.
Old 07-28-17, 02:25 PM
All Region

You have some decent points even if you have a little trouble doing it nicely.

High school baseball might be political but travel baseball is even more political, the difference is that the parents can vote with their checkbooks. The reason kids move around to so many teams is because they have to find the right fit. Daddy ball is alive and well in travel ball and is almost non-existent in high school baseball.

The one comment from Hitnrun that I disagree with is that the Summer ball coaches know talent better than the high school coaches. 10 Different coaches would have 10 different lineups with the same players. Its just in the eye of the beholder.
Old 07-28-17, 03:15 PM
Junior Varsity

rookiecard is on a distinguished road
Good follow up and I will put a nice spin on it next time i go on a rant.
Old 07-28-17, 04:26 PM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiecard View Post
You guys need a hug? Sounds like some of you didn't get an award back in the 70's.

First of all Blue Devil hacker, the awards for all-league are picked well before state playoffs conclude. So whether or not your precious Tallmadge only got 2 first team nominees and not three makes your posting totally irrelevant. Have a little more knowledge as to how things are done in high school sports before you post please. Tallmadge should have taken care of business in the conference if it wanted more player awards, but I am pretty sure Kenny and the boys would give them all away for that ring they got in the end!! And that is what is so great about baseball, the state playoff system and getting hot at the right time is guys. It's about one and only one thing, the ring. Which is a TEAM effort. It is not won by individuals and who had more award winners. Get with the program fellas.

Secondly Hit n Trash... What do high school conference awards have to do with summer travel teams and why is it so comical? I bet you are a real treat to sit near in the stands critiquing that poor kid and his summer coach for choosing him.

I am not sure when high school awards became insignificant to most colleges coaches/recruiters either, I must have missed that memo, but they do matter. You should clarify exactly who "some kids who got all league awards can't get up off a travel team bench" are? If said kid with the all-league award is from a small D3-4 school, and has D1 teammates playing ahead of him, that is not his fault he got an award in a smaller school/conference. And let's say it is a D1 kid on a bench you are referring to with an all-league award, what if his school did poorly that season? He was one of the best players at that school at that time and deserved in the the eyes of his high school coaches. He was also probably a team leader and a pleasure to coach unlike some kids who make coaching miserable. Sometimes the guy without the best stats is more valuable to a team. Jose Ramirez is that guy for the Indians last year and this year, think about it. Where would they have been or be without him?

Thirdly to all you Haters out there in general...Why is everyone on this forum so happy to knock high school coaches? Do you realize how many head and assistant high school coaches also participate in summer programs? They are far more knowledgeable and dedicated to the sport than most of you people on this forum. If you are offended then that proves my point. You love to troll behind the computer. You sit back and throw out mean spirited postings without not having actually spent one minute in a high school program and all the time and effort that goes into it. it is all of you piling on the band wagon who are making the divide bigger between High School and Summer Leagues..NEW FLASH-kids need both of them, one is not more significant than the other. They have always gone hand in hand. Even when you all were a rotten little tomatoes, you had to play both and it was only park and rec back then in your day.

and BTW...Scouts/recruiters put more relevance on a high school game than summer ball games. Raise of hands out there, how many of you have actually talked to a Scout? that's what I thought....When do colleges play their games? oh yeah, in the cold, crappy, rainy, sometime snowing, windy spring. They know it is more of a barometer of how a kid can handle adversity rather than how he did in June/July in 80 degree, dry, near perfect weather. Yes, they like to see them in the summer as well, but don't think for a minute spring ball doesn't matter. Oh and one other thing..the MLB draft is first week of June not August, and kids who were only seen in the spring get drafted, summer ball is afterwards guys. No team is going to sit around and wait another year just to see a kid plays summer travel ball before drafting him..that ship would have sailed on a lot of teams missing out on blue chippers if that was how things were chronologically done. Maybe all of you travel ball lovers should petition MLB to change the draft to accommodate your summer kids.

I would love to see all the nonsense stop on these forums and see if any of you had better ideas how to make baseball better for kids, not criticizing all-league winners and high school coaches and being petty about how many awards a team should get.
The name fits. You are a total rookie and a moron to boot. You must be one of the washed up out touch HS coaches out there. I hate to break it to you but you guys are irrelevant. Very rarely do you see a collge coach at a HS game looking at a potential recruit. On the other hand I have witnessed many college coaches at summer ball events. You must not be aware of Midwest Prospect League, Perfect Game WWBA, Cincy Flames TOC, Top Gun and Dinger wood Bat World Series. Wilson Premier, Music City. It must have been a mirage seeing all those college coaches at those games and recruiting summer ball players. Dont worry you can put another notch on your belt when Jimmy commits to a college you can take credit. You have developed that player through out the years. It must be playing in the rain and snow and zero college coaches in attendance that got him his scholarship. You are so smart. BTW HS ball is irrelevant and kids play for the school and their classmates. HS ball might be dead in the next decade. The funniest thing I've witnessed is these HS coaches who bash summer ball and then have kids of their own and they play Sumer ball and the lightbulb goes off
Old 07-28-17, 04:46 PM
All Region

Hate to break it to you outsiderlookingin but baseball is on life support. If high school baseball dies, the sport itself will never come back in this country. With all those scouts at your games, how many other fans were there? What, one parent per kid? Less if the players are driving themselves. You have 30 kids in both dugouts with a couple of coaches. Sitting there watching the game you are lucky to have a couple dozen.

High school baseball is the one connection to the past. Everyone put their uniform on for the same school and same colors for decades and in some cases over a century. Absolutely no one cares about some random travel ball team. Its the parents and no one else. The simplest way to kill a sport in America is to convince everyone to play it year round and exclude others by pricing it out of existence. High school baseball is great because it keeps the cost down and you play for more than just yourself.