Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-12-16, 03:48 AM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
Its Official....Akron Garfield/Akron Kenmore to merge

About time! Same should have happened to Buchtel and Firestone...

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-16, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld View Post
About time! Same should have happened to Buchtel and Firestone...

Thoughts?
Yep, given the current enrollment numbers Akron can technically get away with only 4 high schools. They should have consolidated years ago, before the construction plan began. I am hearing that Firestone is currently at capacity and cannot accept any more students. Unless they built a much larger building it would have been difficult to combine Firestone and Buchtel. Geographically it would have made sense. The next big decision is what to do with North? They will be the only school left without a new building and with no more funds available they won't be getting a new building. Do you split up the North students and divide them between East and Ellet?
Old 10-12-16, 08:58 AM
All Ohio

Backdrop 1040 is on a distinguished road
44313 was NOT going to let 44320 into their school.... so a Firestone/Buchtel was never going to happen
Old 10-12-16, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The problems of consolidation and new schools in the APS are the result of a complete lack of foresight. This day could have been foreseen decades ago, but rather than fashion a comprehensive plan, the APS and the board have piecemealed it into a mess. The East situation was a classic example. They decided to shut it town but then caved to public pressure to such an extent that they ended up with a new school-- a new school a mere two miles from another school.

I'm not always a a proponent of consolidation as smaller schools are often better academically, but if they are serious about doing it right, they need a comprehensive plan and a commitment to it, not a deal with it as it comes attitude that changes and caves to public pressure and community biases.
Old 10-12-16, 01:34 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Totally agree should have been 4 high schools! . As for the merger, call it Akron South, nickname Rams, colors red and black. That covers both schools. Oh and add a football field, name it Flossi field and serve Kenmore Coney dogs!!
Old 10-12-16, 02:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Are they closing one down and moving into the location of the other? If so, which location will they be moving to?

Also, will they be redistricting and moving some of the kids in these two schools to a different school? Seems that most of the schools in Akron could handle a few more students if necessary.
Old 10-12-16, 02:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Mountaineer is on a distinguished road
Admittedly, I understand that this makes sense. I only hope that they maintain the rich history of both schools.

My grandfather, Babe Flossie, coached the Rams for roughly 30 years, even named them the Rams. Fielded some damn good teams and played some great games from what I understand. Though I didn't go to Garfield, I played them every year and had huge respect for them, as well as all other APS teams. I know that Kenmore has a rich history as well, and I'm sure lots of people will be sad to see their Alma Maters dissolved.

Again, although this is a very practical thing to happen, I sincerely hope that they maintain the historical identity of both schools/programs.
Old 10-12-16, 02:41 PM
All District

10's dad is on a distinguished road
This was absolutely the right move. It will take some getting use to, but if it is done right these kids will benefit from it . Location; my guess summit lake. Kenmore stadium right up hill and other teams can use summit lake complex..
Old 10-12-16, 02:58 PM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Are they closing one down and moving into the location of the other? If so, which location will they be moving to?

Also, will they be redistricting and moving some of the kids in these two schools to a different school? Seems that most of the schools in Akron could handle a few more students if necessary.
As for next year and until the new school is built and ready they will be in Kenmore High School.
Old 10-12-16, 04:48 PM
All District

Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOhio75 View Post
The next big decision is what to do with North? They will be the only school left without a new building and with no more funds available they won't be getting a new building. Do you split up the North students and divide them between East and Ellet?
North should hook up with East & Ellet before they're forced to marry Buchtel. The Akron Northeast Oriental Orangemen has a nice ring to it, combines mascot history with school directions, too.
Old 10-12-16, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

This might shine some light on the situation. http://www.ohio.com/news/local/garfi...e-one-1.718321
Old 10-12-16, 04:58 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The word for a while was that North could become something like a vocational school. The school has a considerable number of ESL students right now.
Old 10-12-16, 05:36 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Sad day as a former Firestone Park kid.
Old 10-12-16, 05:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
My mom and her sisters said the same thing.
Old 10-12-16, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

The Kenfield Raminals. I like it.
Old 10-12-16, 06:48 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Before Garfield was the "Rams," it's nickname was the "Presidents." My mom was a Garfield graduate.
Old 10-12-16, 06:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Before Garfield was the "Rams," it's nickname was the "Presidents." My mom was a Garfield graduate.
Lots of great ball players came out of Garfield over the years.....Larry Poole, Chris Beanie Wells, Antoine Winfield, Whitney Mercilus, Dave Brown, Thomas Lewis to name a few.
Old 10-12-16, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

Charles Gladman.
Old 10-12-16, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Charles Gladman.
Darn, I knew I missed one.
Old 10-12-16, 07:42 PM
All Yappi

I remember seeing Mercilus and thinking he was one of the best local players I had seen in years, but for some reason he did not get a lot of love.

Gladman was a beast. Big and fast. Went off to Pitt. Left early to play in the USFL for the Pittsburgh Maulers. I think he blew out a knee. Had a very brief look in the NFL, but it didn't last.
Old 10-12-16, 08:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I remember seeing Mercilus and thinking he was one of the best local players I had seen in years, but for some reason he did not get a lot of love.

Gladman was a beast. Big and fast. Went off to Pitt. Left early to play in the USFL for the Pittsburgh Maulers. I think he blew out a knee. Had a very brief look in the NFL, but it didn't last.
My dad worked for the Akron Public Schools when I was a kid. He used to take me and my brother to see Larry Poole play. It must have been around 1976-1978, somewhere in there. I was about 10 years old. He also used to take me to see Jimmy Gooden play basketball at Central Hower but that is for a different forum.
Old 10-12-16, 09:59 PM
All American

Quest4Gold
North has the 2nd highest enrollment in the city. They won't be closing anytime soon unless numbers start dropping. Forest Hill, Findley, and soon to be completed Harris will be all at full capacity with students.
Old 10-13-16, 07:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
My dad worked for the Akron Public Schools when I was a kid. He used to take me and my brother to see Larry Poole play. It must have been around 1976-1978, somewhere in there. I was about 10 years old. He also used to take me to see Jimmy Gooden play basketball at Central Hower but that is for a different forum.
Since you brought up Central Hower, Gladman followed John Woolridge as the top back in the City. That kid was lightning fast, went on to OSU and played shortly in the NFL for the Cowboys. I remember his 99.5 yard run on the last plat of the first half against SVSM.
Old 10-13-16, 07:43 AM
Moderated User

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Admittedly, I understand that this makes sense. I only hope that they maintain the rich history of both schools.

My grandfather, Babe Flossie, coached the Rams for roughly 30 years, even named them the Rams. Fielded some damn good teams and played some great games from what I understand. Though I didn't go to Garfield, I played them every year and had huge respect for them, as well as all other APS teams. I know that Kenmore has a rich history as well, and I'm sure lots of people will be sad to see their Alma Maters dissolved.

Again, although this is a very practical thing to happen, I sincerely hope that they maintain the historical identity of both schools/programs.
The tradition is long gone. Those people have left the city and nobody shows up at games. There is not tradition of Garfield or Kenmore. There was a history that most Akronnites do not know or care to know. Move on
Old 10-13-16, 07:44 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
FORMER....You left, get over it. Move on
Old 10-13-16, 07:46 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
lol Jimmy Gooden turned basketball stud to AAU lurch
Old 10-13-16, 08:10 AM
Junior Varsity

BreadNButter is on a distinguished road
What will enrollment numbers look like?
Old 10-13-16, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Akron ...
Central & Hower merged in 1970 to become Central-Hower
Central-Hower closed in 2006
South closed in 1980
West closed in 1953

:>---

I have fruit salad but no scrambled eggs!
Old 10-13-16, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

allworld is on a distinguished road
2000 at least? Biggest school in the city
Old 10-13-16, 12:35 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld View Post
2000 at least? Biggest school in the city
Would be shocked if it was over 1500