Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-02-18, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
No, it is not. It is the birthplace of the NFL.
There is no agreed exact date or origin for the "invention of modern football." Kids have been running with, throwing and kicking round leather balls for hundreds of years in various forms. Canton can make their claim. Safe to say they are at least "one of" the original birthplaces.

A lot of big money, confusion and conflict for a project this big, but for those diehards and alums being critical now I think in the long run Benson will turn out more than fine for McKinley. I know I thoroughly enjoyed our historic first visit.
Old 04-02-18, 09:34 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Really, what is 'modern' football? Forward pass? When football became the dominate professional sport? The Super Bowl/NFL-AFL merger? Free Agency Era?

Professional football started long before the NFL started. It's WHY the NFL had to be formed. Teams were poaching players left and right for one game or so at a time. Bringing in ringers just to win rivalry games (what eventually did Massillon and many other smaller cities in).
Old 04-02-18, 02:37 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
M Klein and Co, an New York advisory firm that brokers large dollar deals is joining the HOF Village project. They will be providing financial and strategic advice. Managing partner Michael Klein will be the keynote speaker at the upcoming Canton Chamber of Commerce dinner. He sits on the NFL international advisory board.
I'm glad to see someone attached to the NFL more involved, and new PR is sorely needed. But Mr. Klein's services don't come cheap. His fees for financial advice during Dow's merger were $40-50 million. Not that expensive in our case, but worrisome for a project with financial troubles.

Chamber of Commerce dinners are all well and good, sure. I hate sounding like a broken record, but isn't there someone in the media that can place a phone call to Baker or someone and simply ask "when is construction resuming?" Doesn't have to be exact. A rough timetable. Perhaps that will be addressed there? This is the kind of thing that should have been known before the Port Authority signed off on the loan.
Old 04-02-18, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
but isn't there someone in the media that can place a phone call to Baker or someone and simply ask "when is construction resuming?" Doesn't have to be exact. A rough timetable.
The day the NYT article came out, Sam Bourquin interviewed Pete Fierle from the Hall. Sam asked that question and Pete couldn't or wouldn't answer the question. He talks for 12 minutes and doesn't say much other than a bunch of football themed buzz words. I don't know the exact spot but it's towards the end of the interview.

https://soundcloud.com/wakr-newstalk...ball-hof-32818
Old 04-10-18, 07:52 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Current YSU prez and former Buckeye national champion coach Jim Tressel spoke in Canton yesterday. Among his comments:

"This (HOF Village) is a place where people will come and visit our region, and it will be a difference maker. These things are extraordinary. They are not going to be easy. We've got to make sure we keep swinging in there with Mr. Baker and encourage people to pushing it through inch by inch. This is going to be a difference maker for half a century. "
Old 04-12-18, 07:10 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
In The Rep...just posted from the OHSAA regularly scheduled April Meeting

" The board received the attendance and financial reports from the 2017 football playoffs. The overall attendance for the five rounds of the playoffs decreased by 34,106 tickets. The announced total attendance for the seven state championship games in Canton was 61,312, which was up from 55,421 in 2016 in Columbus."

34,106 less ticket sales for last years football playoffs...that number is rather large

Also ST V boys basketball will be moved up to D 1 because of Competitive Balance
Old 04-12-18, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Current YSU prez and former Buckeye national champion coach Jim Tressel spoke in Canton yesterday. Among his comments:

"This (HOF Village) is a place where people will come and visit our region, and it will be a difference maker. These things are extraordinary. They are not going to be easy. We've got to make sure we keep swinging in there with Mr. Baker and encourage people to pushing it through inch by inch. This is going to be a difference maker for half a century. "
At this rate it's going to take half a century to build it.
Old 04-12-18, 07:19 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
In The Rep...just posted from the OHSAA regularly scheduled April Meeting

" The board received the attendance and financial reports from the 2017 football playoffs. The overall attendance for the five rounds of the playoffs decreased by 34,106 tickets. The announced total attendance for the seven state championship games in Canton was 61,312, which was up from 55,421 in 2016 in Columbus."

34,106 less ticket sales for last years football playoffs...that number is rather large

Also ST V boys basketball will be moved up to D 1 because of Competitive Balance
That's 157 fewer people at each game if my math is correct.
Old 04-12-18, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
That's 157 fewer people at each game if my math is correct.
That's 1 way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is how many of the playoff regions even had a total of 34,106 fans attend the 7 games that it takes to determine a regional champion? That's quite a hit to take in 1 year's time.

No matter how you look at it, less is less.
Old 04-12-18, 09:12 PM
All American

Oh my this changes everything. Nothing good will ever happen now. The sky is falling all over again.

All it makes me wonder is how many other years did the OHSAA screw up the count.

Last year's finals at Benson was a success by all measures. The OHSAA has said there are two sites being considered - Canton and Columbus. If that has changed it would have been announced.

Let's see what happens. Hopefully something positive will occur for our region.
Old 04-13-18, 05:46 AM
All American

34,000 down is nothing. From 2005 to 2006 attendance dropped a full 120,000.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/About...inancial14.pdf

Page 13.
Old 04-13-18, 08:51 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
34,000 drop is not much considering every press box for the playoff games was overfilled with radio live broadcasters, television tape delay broadcasters, internet radio broadcasters, newspaper reporters live tweeting, etc.
Old 04-13-18, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
The move to all Friday games didn't help.
Old 04-13-18, 09:40 AM
All American

Wonder how much of it is because they moved all the games to Friday?
Old 04-13-18, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
I think a large part of their playoff dip was due to playing all games on friday

I think moving all games to friday was the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen an organization do - what possible reasons could be provided to make such a move.

especially when there exists a website where general fans of the high school game.

They could do a qualitative test to see what the fan base is saying.....and that was simply this - fans liked going to a game on friday and a game on saturday.

The OHSAA is filled with people out of touch to the reality that some of us would rather support ohio high school playoff than watching anything on TV at the pro or collegiate level.
Old 04-13-18, 06:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Wonder how much of it is because they moved all the games to Friday?
If 157/gm average was the dip from last year to this year--aside from the near normal annual drop, that sounds a bit like the fans who would attend a second game if given the option.

And, you figure there's a good number of kids PLAYING on Friday or Saturday who, if there's a game nearby, would attend a playoff game on their non-playing day. Those kids are stuck only going to the game they're playing.

I bring it up a lot, but in PA with Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night games (and now a lot of Thursday night games), you see a lot of football players from a school still in the playoffs going to a game during one of those other time slots.

But, football attendance, and playoffs in particular, are seeing attendance dropping all over. Not just Ohio. Maybe there's just too much to do that spending a few hours at a game in November is worth it anymore.
Old 04-16-18, 09:26 AM
Junior Varsity

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
I don't get all the hate on the OHSAA for moving the games to Friday. From the get go they said it would be a one year trial thing, revisit in the off season to see how it goes. They look at the overall attendance, see a general trend of decline, and tried something to fix it with the understanding from the beginning that it may not work, and if it doesn't work, they'll go back to the old way.

What should they have done? looked at the declining attendance and said "gee that's too bad?" Gotta try something.
Old 04-16-18, 09:55 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
I don't get all the hate on the OHSAA for moving the games to Friday. From the get go they said it would be a one year trial thing, revisit in the off season to see how it goes. They look at the overall attendance, see a general trend of decline, and tried something to fix it with the understanding from the beginning that it may not work, and if it doesn't work, they'll go back to the old way.

What should they have done? looked at the declining attendance and said "gee that's too bad?" Gotta try something.

But "just trying something" is pointless if you can't at least infer what your changes will do and what was causing the problem in the first place.

Aging population, prevalence of televised and streamed games, too many things else to do keeping fans from traveling to playoff games sometimes hours away, people being lazier and not wanting to deal with HS stadiums hosting games with limited parking, fans are more fickle about weather than in the past, etc.

There's been numerous reasons stated in the past why attendance has been trending down for the past couple decades.

Now, if you do change things up, you have to then figure what those changes will do and what negative impacts they'll have.

There may not be a ton of fans that go to multiple games on a weekend in the playoffs, but they're not an insignificant amount. They also completely overlooked kids who are still playing going to a game on the day other than their game. There are a segment of the population that can't attend Friday night games unless they're very close to home that look forward to the Saturday games.

By combining everything to Friday, you're removing all of those possible attendees. The only benefit to having Friday games is for neutral people who already can attend Friday games. And then they've just increased the number of potential games to see, rather than anything that draws in newer fans.

Could an 8pm start on Friday help some of the longer travel games? Get rid of live television? Lower ticket prices? Reconsider playoff brackets to account for travel over seeding to give better regional matchups with the least amount of travel?

There's no reason a first round game has a two-plus hour trip. Sure, they've had that issue in the past as well, but as attendance drops, looking at things that cut costs and increase attendance SHOULD be looked at.

And what day of the week games are aren't as big an issue as things like travel, cost, quality of the matchup (nobody wants to see a guaranteed blowout), etc.
Old 04-16-18, 12:22 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
If you are worried about blowouts lets go back to 4 teams instead of the eight and there will be fewer blowouts. and we can listen again to the crying from teams that were 10 -0 and did not make the cut. That would also make the playoffs a week shorter and we would not have the big ten championship on the same Sat night as a state championship game.
Old 04-16-18, 05:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
But "just trying something" is pointless if you can't at least infer what your changes will do and what was causing the problem in the first place.

Aging population, prevalence of televised and streamed games, too many things else to do keeping fans from traveling to playoff games sometimes hours away, people being lazier and not wanting to deal with HS stadiums hosting games with limited parking, fans are more fickle about weather than in the past, etc.

There's been numerous reasons stated in the past why attendance has been trending down for the past couple decades.

Now, if you do change things up, you have to then figure what those changes will do and what negative impacts they'll have.

There may not be a ton of fans that go to multiple games on a weekend in the playoffs, but they're not an insignificant amount. They also completely overlooked kids who are still playing going to a game on the day other than their game. There are a segment of the population that can't attend Friday night games unless they're very close to home that look forward to the Saturday games.

By combining everything to Friday, you're removing all of those possible attendees. The only benefit to having Friday games is for neutral people who already can attend Friday games. And then they've just increased the number of potential games to see, rather than anything that draws in newer fans.

Could an 8pm start on Friday help some of the longer travel games? Get rid of live television? Lower ticket prices? Reconsider playoff brackets to account for travel over seeding to give better regional matchups with the least amount of travel?

There's no reason a first round game has a two-plus hour trip. Sure, they've had that issue in the past as well, but as attendance drops, looking at things that cut costs and increase attendance SHOULD be looked at.

And what day of the week games are aren't as big an issue as things like travel, cost, quality of the matchup (nobody wants to see a guaranteed blowout), etc.
Honest question, how many early round games are on live TV? enough to seriously affect attendance?
Old 04-16-18, 06:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
Honest question, how many early round games are on live TV? enough to seriously affect attendance?
Doesn't Spectrum (formerly TWC) have a live game each round? They have a bunch of streaming games as well.

It only takes one live game to potentially kill neutral party interest in attending. Not just from that game, but any other game nearby that might have seen a paying customer stick to the couch instead.

There's a reason OHSAA doesn't allow live broadcasts on Friday night during the regular season. To avoid competing with the home gate across the state. Go see other states with live Friday broadcasts, such as around Pittsburgh, and you see even big games sparsely attended compared to what you saw back in the late 90s or even early 2000s because the best game gets put on TV and that's the game if someone wants to see, they can see for free from their living room.

Giving someone an option not to take the time and cost of attending a game, and there's a good number of people who will take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
If you are worried about blowouts lets go back to 4 teams instead of the eight and there will be fewer blowouts. and we can listen again to the crying from teams that were 10 -0 and did not make the cut. That would also make the playoffs a week shorter and we would not have the big ten championship on the same Sat night as a state championship game.
At least for the first round, that is an issue. But it doesn't explain later rounds.

There's a lot to be said about the 'rarity' of the playoffs making it special and a thing a town and school got excited for. Now, so many teams are ALWAYS in the playoffs, that the novelty has warn off completely with them. And the teams making the 'once a decade' type trip deep into the playoffs get spurned by how easily they get knocked out by playoff regulars. Very few go all the way to a state title.

So, once the novelty is gone, a return trip to the playoffs isn't as big unless it's really been a while (like Wheelersburg making a deep run). And if a game is projected to be one-sided, then the interest is just gone. And that's before taking into account travel for some of these games as the playoffs progress.

Last edited by Sykotyk; 04-16-18 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 09:40 PM
All Region

Professor.Klump is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Only one team from SW Ohio this year and they played on Thursday night. Go figure. It caused the school to close for 2 days. They closed Thursday and Friday. Just play the games in Columbus. Then you can play on Thursday and cause no pain for anyone. Nobody wants to spend the night in Stark County. Good grief.
The DIII Champs are from SW Ohio.

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY
Old 04-16-18, 10:05 PM
Junior Varsity

Personally I was disappointed by my high schools attendance (Sidney). Exciting offense, first time in the playoffs since 1989, winnable game at home, barely cracked 3k.
Old 04-17-18, 01:29 AM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, Spectrum covered every game of every round for all divisions streaming, to access it you only needed to be a Spectrum subscriber from any state Spectrum is offered, or any area. I watched any game I wanted to see and checked on many others by tuning in all through the playoffs and I'm in FL.
Old 04-17-18, 03:16 AM
All American

I think one of the biggest issues is the drop in school activity participation overall. Kids just aren't involved these days. Too much digital entertainment. It actually goes beyond that... they're much less likely than 10 years ago to work, date, go out with friends, etc. Or go to the football game. The bulk of attendance is going to be centered around them, and adults generally are just along for the ride.

Not much the OHSAA can do, but I do like what Sykotyk mentioned about reconfiguring the regions a bit and having more leeway in deciding first-round matchups.
Old 04-17-18, 10:51 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Just one more year in Canton, it looks like...

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...m-stark-county
Old 04-18-18, 08:19 AM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
I think one of the biggest issues is the drop in school activity participation overall. Kids just aren't involved these days. Too much digital entertainment. It actually goes beyond that... they're much less likely than 10 years ago to work, date, go out with friends, etc. Or go to the football game. The bulk of attendance is going to be centered around them, and adults generally are just along for the ride.

Not much the OHSAA can do, but I do like what Sykotyk mentioned about reconfiguring the regions a bit and having more leeway in deciding first-round matchups.
Decades ago when I was a yout we talked about important stuff, sports and cars.

Last week I spent an hour listening to a group of freshmen boys talking nonstop for an hour about phones and ear buds.
Old 04-20-18, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
New blood promises to see this project come to fruition. http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201804...finish-project
Old 04-20-18, 01:03 PM
Freshman

1234567 is on a distinguished road
Short history of HOF village

Dave Baker Millionaire
Brought in Tom Benson billionaire who died
Brought in Johnson Controls Billion dollar company
Brought in Stuart Lichter billionaire
Did not pay bills so he
Brought in Michael Klein Billionaire
Who brought in Mark Bezos (works for a company called Robin Hood)
But Marks brother is Jeff Bezos richest man on earth.
Now we are saved

Last edited by 1234567; 04-20-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Good for the new outlook

mismanaged
poorly planned
still waiting to see how this is to benefit the students of Canton City