Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-06-18, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
The problem here is, someone posted this in their own words. Until we see the rule, written as the coach wrote it, everything everyone here is posting is conjecture. Find something better to post about until all of the facts of this are presented. Like a bunch of old ladies at a sewing circle spouting BS when they know not the truth.
I totally agree.
Old 07-06-18, 02:45 PM
All Yappi

Religion could even be brought into this. Here's an interesting article - http://www.wfmj.com/story/38201199/j...ocks-in-prison
Old 07-06-18, 03:20 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
What I got out of the post the guy had on Facebook about his son, he claimed it was only singing out his son, which is probably not true, but if it was me I would never embarrass my child by making a big deal about a haircut, itís simple, he can go play at another school or just cut his hair for a couple months
Old 07-06-18, 04:06 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
I don't know what the rule states, but I have known Phil for years. Dating back to his days at WWR/WGH. I highly doubt this is a racist issue. I assume the person posting initially about feels victimized because the rule affects him or his son. Phil has been leading young men of all walks of life racially, economically, etc for decades. Now he makes a rule simply because he is racist? I am not buying it. There is more to this.
Old 07-06-18, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
I have no idea if long hair is banned or not.
Old 07-06-18, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
And no it’s not me. I saw a post on Facebook lol
Old 07-06-18, 05:06 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
And no itís not me. I saw a post on Facebook lol
Sorry, I was referring to the Facebook post, not your post, lol.
Old 07-07-18, 02:02 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Safety wise (and a coach is ultimately responsible for the safety of his players) - the difference between long hair and dreads is like thread vs rope. Lot easier to grab ahold of a rope during a game. But yes, agree that this (if accurate) may not be the best choice of rules.
Old 07-07-18, 02:08 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
I don't know what the rule states, but I have known Phil for years. Dating back to his days at WWR/WGH. I highly doubt this is a racist issue. I assume the person posting initially about feels victimized because the rule affects him or his son. Phil has been leading young men of all walks of life racially, economically, etc for decades. Now he makes a rule simply because he is racist? I am not buying it. There is more to this.
All of that wonít matter if this parent decides to make it an issue and gets coverage about it. The ADmins know this and are likely to just want it to go away before they end up making national news and receive hundreds of threatening phone calls a day. Been through it with one of my kids schools- the truth wonít matter if the perception is that this is a racial bias issue.
Old 07-07-18, 05:02 AM
Junior Varsity

milqcity2010 is on a distinguished road
Thats prolly the dumbest thing i ever heard in my life its hair on a kid i don't care what color you are it should be more about winning football games an teaching your kids about life after sports. I don't wanna bring up race but im gonna have too here if there is no rule on white players with long hair then you can't just say no dreads because then your gonna stir that pot like crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
What I got out of the post the guy had on Facebook about his son, he claimed it was only singing out his son, which is probably not true, but if it was me I would never embarrass my child by making a big deal about a haircut, itís simple, he can go play at another school or just cut his hair for a couple months
Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-18, 06:28 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Racist?
This would be true if only one race wore dreads.

I love those who always want to bring race into something.
History shows, they are usually the ones with race issues.
Old 07-07-18, 07:12 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
Racist?
This would be true if only one race wore dreads.

I love those who always want to bring race into something.
History shows, they are usually the ones with race issues.
Racism isn't the same as bigotry and this rule does effect primarily by race, though the stronger argument would be religion. I don't know where you got your "history" fact but I'll give you possibly it's your personal experience.

I'll also grant it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't argument. It's a "racist" rule because it effects one race but if another race wants to wear dreads, then it's appropriation.

Can't make ANYone happy it seems.

If it's ultimately a school decision as someone has posted, if I were this public school board, I'd instruct the coach to get in line. Rule on length, but not on style unless that style can be shown a hazard. And be clear with the police, ANYone can where that style if it's acceptable to one or you make an exception (I wouldn't agree with this) on religious grounds and expect reasonable proof of practice.

There is nothing about clean dreads, length contained that a school district would ban. Long dreads, like long any long hair can get caught up in things, desks,.... and so schools may have rules that the hair has to be contained in some way, that's not a distraction or prevention of education. High afros can have the effect. Can't see around them in the class. Racist? Yes. Genetic at least. Bigoted? No.
Old 07-07-18, 07:29 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Oh FFS....Tinker v Desmoines was about vietnam protests. It allows schools to ban clothes or other things that "cause a distraction" to the educational process
Well no. It was how schools could not ban clothes or other things unless they caused a "substantial disruption of the educational process." A "substantial disruption" being a much higher hurdle than"a distraction."
Old 07-07-18, 07:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
, just about every federal appeals court does. Courts have pretty consistently held that laws banning dread locks in the workplace and in schools is NOT racial discrimination.
I'll take your word for it, I am completely ignorant of any court rulings on dreadlocks.
Old 07-07-18, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Racism isn't the same as bigotry and this rule does effect primarily by race, though the stronger argument would be religion. I don't know where you got your "history" fact but I'll give you possibly it's your personal experience.

I'll also grant it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't argument. It's a "racist" rule because it effects one race but if another race wants to wear dreads, then it's appropriation.

historically; deadlocks were worn in India, Persia, the Celts, Vikings; it made sense for people who had long hair and were involved in combat.
Old 07-07-18, 07:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Safety wise (and a coach is ultimately responsible for the safety of his players) - .
I understand what you're saying, but if a player wears long hair and someone grabs it, that is not the coaches responsibility.

Last edited by chs1971; 07-09-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 10:38 AM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
All of that wonít matter if this parent decides to make it an issue and gets coverage about it. The ADmins know this and are likely to just want it to go away before they end up making national news and receive hundreds of threatening phone calls a day. Been through it with one of my kids schools- the truth wonít matter if the perception is that this is a racial bias issue.
That is what I tried to point out earlier. The whole thing is not worth the hassle.
Old 07-09-18, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Quote:
historically; deadlocks were worn in India, Persia, the Celts, Vikings; it made sense for people who had long hair and were involved in combat.

A good argument to have in the pocket next time faced with an appropriation accusation.

What invention, cultural innovation or social movement in THIS country isn't a result of appropriation? It's the convenience and integration of cultures that made us what we are. The one's first to call out "racist" seem also to complain when someone appreciates the culture of others.

boggles

Has there been any clear reason given by the coach as to why he forbids dreads? Doesn't like the look, considers them a distraction, helmut won't fit or is length the only issue?

I'd be more concerned about extensions.
Old 07-09-18, 05:47 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Let's not overlook the obvious, and why the issue. White kids don't wear dreadlocks. Such a rule, to Striker's point if it even exists, could be more appropriately stated. If it is about length say length, if it is about grooming then no dreadlocks, mohawks, or uncombed.

And agreed Striker, let's be careful to not make any personal judgments about this coach not knowing the full facts.
Are white kids even allowed to have dreadlocks in todayís society? It seems like there is always someone whining and B-ing about misappropriating another groupís culture.
Old 07-10-18, 08:40 AM
Freshman

HSBDAWG is on a distinguished road
First and for must the coach might not have thought out the whole dreadlocks thing but at the same time it is not just limited to a certain race. I have seen all types of people where dreadlocks weather white, black, brown, yellow what every.The reason it is a problem it is associated with certain people cause they where their hair that way all the time it is far and few between when you see others where it like that. For what reason the coach does not want his boys to where their hair like that is on him. They are a reflection on him and the school.

Me on the other hand, i like the kids to be a close to uniform as possible i want all the hair in their helmet for 2 reasons 1 from game to game if i have a play maker i can switch between uniforms so he does not get targeted and i can hide him for a quarter i will do that 2 is with the kids looking uniformed their is less for them to pick on each other about. If all look the same act the same on the field then they will bond a lot faster then some that try and stand out with the long hair flashy cleats or visors. For me i do not want your helmet to come off till we are in the locker room when you get ready for your warm ups everyone dressed the same what ever you got going on under your helmet you better be able to deal with it till we get back to the locker room. Only a coach or a trainer can tell you to take your helmet off. your fans will know who their players are and scouts will get a roster be for they go in the box. do not know why a coach would single out one hair style but be for you become unglued first find out why he might not want long hair period on the team and others are just not saying anything. short hair easier to keep cool in these dawg days. People need to start asking a question be for they start to jump up and down. Now days they want to jump up and down be for they find out why. and for all you left and rights leave the stupid crap out of Sports best 11 or 9 or 5 or 1 on the fields,court or the mat or in the pool. Reward the kids that put the work in and who earn their spot. Do not give it to them cause of mom and papas or color or money that is teaching these kids the wrong thing off jump.

Sorry for length Rant over.
Old 07-10-18, 08:57 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBDAWG View Post
First and for must the coach might not have thought out the whole dreadlocks thing but at the same time it is not just limited to a certain race. I have seen all types of people where dreadlocks weather white, black, brown, yellow what every.The reason it is a problem it is associated with certain people cause they where their hair that way all the time it is far and few between when you see others where it like that. For what reason the coach does not want his boys to where their hair like that is on him. They are a reflection on him and the school.

Me on the other hand, i like the kids to be a close to uniform as possible i want all the hair in their helmet for 2 reasons 1 from game to game if i have a play maker i can switch between uniforms so he does not get targeted and i can hide him for a quarter i will do that 2 is with the kids looking uniformed their is less for them to pick on each other about. If all look the same act the same on the field then they will bond a lot faster then some that try and stand out with the long hair flashy cleats or visors. For me i do not want your helmet to come off till we are in the locker room when you get ready for your warm ups everyone dressed the same what ever you got going on under your helmet you better be able to deal with it till we get back to the locker room. Only a coach or a trainer can tell you to take your helmet off. your fans will know who their players are and scouts will get a roster be for they go in the box. do not know why a coach would single out one hair style but be for you become unglued first find out why he might not want long hair period on the team and others are just not saying anything. short hair easier to keep cool in these dawg days. People need to start asking a question be for they start to jump up and down. Now days they want to jump up and down be for they find out why. and for all you left and rights leave the stupid crap out of Sports best 11 or 9 or 5 or 1 on the fields,court or the mat or in the pool. Reward the kids that put the work in and who earn their spot. Do not give it to them cause of mom and papas or color or money that is teaching these kids the wrong thing off jump.

Kinda liked it.
Old 07-10-18, 09:10 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
HSBDAWG
"1 from game to game if i have a play maker i can switch between uniforms so he does not get targeted and i can hide him for a quarter i will do that"

Years ago, close to 70 as I recall, Dad talked about a set of twins that were on his high school basketball team. Both were good players, but one of them was a bit more aggressive in his style. He would often have 3 maybe 4 fouls at half time. At half time, in the locker room, the twins would change jerseys and the game continued with some people wondering what the coach told the one twin in order for him to "clean up" his style of play. Fact or not, it made for a good story that was believable.
Old 07-10-18, 09:34 AM
All District

tuscoslimshady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBDAWG View Post

Nice post,like it!
Old 07-10-18, 09:37 AM
All District

tuscoslimshady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The problem here is, someone posted this in their own words. Until we see the rule, written as the coach wrote it, everything everyone here is posting is conjecture. Find something better to post about until all of the facts of this are presented. Like a bunch of old ladies at a sewing circle spouting BS when they know not the truth.
Old 07-10-18, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
S
a
d
Old 07-10-18, 11:22 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
At face value he sure is riding a slippery slope. Like others on here, however, I think we need to have more context to build an opinion around. Too many open questions. Hope this all works out.
Old 07-10-18, 08:37 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
Are white kids even allowed to have dreadlocks in todayís society? It seems like there is always someone whining and B-ing about misappropriating another groupís culture.
John Jaso (white MLB player) wore them for years.
As someone else mentioned. Thread vs rope. It maybe a little more difficult fir people with certain grains of hair to wear dreads. Kinda like braids- which has fallen out of style as of late.
Old 07-11-18, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Where's the "slaps forehead" emoji?

So, it's too soon to discuss the matter until all the facts are presented? At what point are people to know that ALL the facts have been presented? Are we waiting for you to tell us? No one presumed the facts of the situation. Almost every post acknowledged that all the facts upon which the decision was based are not presented. But that does not and should not stop conjecture based exchange of ideas. That's how society progresses. It does not wait for "bad" things to happen before trying to foresee. In what enlightened society is polite debate and discussion discourged? Took this a bit personally didn't you?

Opportunity presented to discuss a topic, which has been broiling at more than just this school, related to more than just sports. Few are passing judgement on the coach but it is a public decision open to public opinion. It is topical. If some opinion goes against the coach's decision, so be it? Do you presume this coach so thick headed he doesn't considered others might be able to bring thoughts he hadn't considered? Is he so weak he cannot go on if some do not agree with his approch?

Go home if you don't want to sew. If you have some intelligence to contribute, pass the thimble.
Old 07-11-18, 08:50 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:

So, it's too soon to discuss the matter until all the facts are presented? At what point are people to know that ALL the facts have been presented? Are we waiting for you to tell us? No one presumed the facts of the situation. Almost every post acknowledged that all the facts upon which the decision was based are not presented. But that does not and should not stop conjecture based exchange of ideas. That's how society progresses. It does not wait for "bad" things to happen before trying to foresee. In what enlightened society is polite debate and discussion discourged? Took this a bit personally didn't you?

Opportunity presented to discuss a topic, which has been broiling at more than just this school, related to more than just sports. Few are passing judgement on the coach but it is a public decision open to public opinion. It is topical. If some opinion goes against the coach's decision, so be it? Do you presume this coach so thick headed he doesn't considered others might be able to bring thoughts he hadn't considered? Is he so weak he cannot go on if some do not agree with his approch?

Go home if you don't want to sew. If you have some intelligence to contribute, pass the thimble.
100% agree
Old 07-11-18, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

It's just funny seeing all this sewing taking place when nobody is even sure what's being sewn.