Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-05-18, 10:07 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Is there a rule against dreadlocks?

Anyone know if thereís a rule against dreadlocks? Apparently the head coach at Austintown Fitch is not allowing his players to have them, despite no rule on paper. This student athletes parents are throwing a fit online. This issue has peaked my interest as I know Struthers had a kid with dreads if you years ago and there was no issue. So I am curious if OHSAA put in a new rule or not.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-18, 10:18 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
There is no OHSAA rule about haircuts or styles.
Old 07-05-18, 10:19 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Are they legal to grab? From a football perspective, I can see length being an issue but not dreads themselves.
Old 07-05-18, 10:25 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
It is the coaches team, if he wants no dreads then that is the rule. I personally disagree with it but it is what it is.
Old 07-05-18, 10:28 PM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Oh this is a can of worms that is gonna bring some heat. As far as a penalty could it be considered a horse collar? If it isn't it's just a matter of time.
As far as the coach, in today's world good luck with that rule.
Old 07-05-18, 10:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I've seen plenty of coaches enforce a no facial hair rule. Also have seen rules about the length of hair.

This is not an OHSAA rule but within the rights of the coach to enforce. Of course, the players, students, and parents have a right to protest this rule if they choose.
Old 07-05-18, 10:46 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
If this is a rule the coach has always had and enforced on his teams, then I don’t think it is much of an issue (as long as it’s all long hair out of the helmet, not just dreads). I disagree with the rule, but if equally and fairly enforced fine. However, if it’s not then he deserves all kinds backlash.
Old 07-05-18, 11:03 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
This man opened up a huge can of worms. The flak he will catch is not worth any perceived benefit he would get by having this rule.
Old 07-05-18, 11:47 PM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
Ok, Iíll be the one to say it more clearly then. People are going call it racist and insensitive. The majority of football players with dreads are black or mixed. 100% in this case? Possibly. How many Falcon players are being afffected?

Iím not sure being offensive or insensitive was coachís intention. It likely wasnít, but that will be the end effect. Is it a good strategy to not have his players wearing extra appendages to assist in being tackled, several handfuls of ropes available as tackling handles; if you will? I think so. But, this coulda then apply to the Matthews/Hawk/Carpenter crazy-white-linebacker-look hair. Will that hairstyle be affected by this rule? If not, it should.

Itís not too late for coach to amend his rule to not allow dreads or any hair that protrudes beneath the helmet and make his true intentions more transparent. As it stands, the rule is open to too many interpretations and, in todayís society, thatís a risky coaching decision.
Old 07-06-18, 06:19 AM
All American

InTheDarke is on a distinguished road
If you have dreadlocks, you have to accept the risk that players will try to drag you down by the hair. By definition, it's not a horse collar, so you have be aware that there's no rule for this. Say what you want, but he could be implementing this personal rule for safety. I hope I'm not being naive in my thinking.
Old 07-06-18, 06:32 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
one of my old coaches had a hair cut rule. We werenít allowed to have hair over our ears and coming out of our hat. We had to be clean cut like the Yankees. Didnít like it, but Coach makes the rules for his team. IF he gets criticized then itís on him.
Old 07-06-18, 06:51 AM
All World

You can tackle someone by their hair. Horse collar, not likely.

It's not the coach's team, it's the school's team. He has no more right or authority to dictate haircuts than the art teacher.
Old 07-06-18, 07:33 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
.................................................. .

It's not the coach's team, it's the school's team. He has no more right or authority to dictate haircuts than the art teacher.
Since it is an extracurricular activity; he does if the school has given him that authority. Students represent the school, just like they can require them to wear ties if they wanted them to.
Old 07-06-18, 08:17 AM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Since it is an extracurricular activity; he does if the school has given him that authority. Students represent the school, just like they can require them to wear ties if they wanted them to.
There is a big difference between being told to wear a tie and being asked to stop growing dreadlocks. If wearing dread locks is not against the schools hair policy then one individual should not be allowed to dictate their own policy surrounding hair. It takes years to grow dreadlocks and the fact that a kid should have to decide between wearing the hair that he has grown(that isnt against school policy) and playing football is ridiculous. Would you be okay if the coach said every player had to get a ball head just because he is the coach? I sure as hell wouldnt. If a white kid has long hair does he have to cut it off? If a girl comes out and makes the team does she have to cut her hair off? This is a slippery slope. If he is worried about safety then he should say that all kids must have thier hair under the helmet, then it is up to the athletes to figure out how to tie their hair up to meet this standard. I doubt the coach is trying to make a racist statement, but his rule is insensitive to the demographics of his team at best.
Old 07-06-18, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Years ago, in Turkey, the American high school football team from Izmir came up to play the kids from Karamursel. It was when boys really were becoming more open about long hair. Long story short, runner from Izmir got thorough the line, but was brought down rather forcefully by the hair. Kept it tucked in after that.
Old 07-06-18, 09:12 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Are they legal to grab? From a football perspective, I can see length being an issue but not dreads themselves.
Yes.

It’s not a good idea to have dreadlocks...

Old 07-06-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Yes.

Itís not a good idea to have dreadlocks...

You mean, not a good idea if they're beyond a certain length or not a good idea in general?
Old 07-06-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I've seen plenty of coaches enforce a no facial hair rule. Also have seen rules about the length of hair.

This is not an OHSAA rule but within the rights of the coach to enforce. Of course, the players, students, and parents have a right to protest this rule if they choose.
The problem is specifically saying no dreadlocks not no long hair or facial hair. Do you understand the distinction? Or, as others have alluded maybe he just does not like that style, at any length, period. That would seem bizarre to me.

I don't know this guy or what his deal is but a rational adult coming from the right place would clarify and apologize.
Old 07-06-18, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
There is a big difference between being told to wear a tie and being asked to stop growing dreadlocks. ..........

Principle is the same; just because something is no big deal to you, doesn't mean that it is no big deal to someone else.
Old 07-06-18, 12:23 PM
All World

Quote:
As I said, the authority is the school's, not his.

If it is a public school they cannot compel students to wear ties. Tinker v. Des Moines (1969)
Old 07-06-18, 12:29 PM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
The problem is specifically saying no dreadlocks not no long hair or facial hair. Do you understand the distinction? Or, as others have alluded maybe he just does not like that style, at any length, period. That would seem bizarre to me.

I don't know this guy or what his deal is but a rational adult coming from the right place would clarify and apologize.
The problem here is, someone posted this in their own words. Until we see the rule, written as the coach wrote it, everything everyone here is posting is conjecture. Find something better to post about until all of the facts of this are presented. Like a bunch of old ladies at a sewing circle spouting BS when they know not the truth.
Old 07-06-18, 12:46 PM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Principle is the same; just because something is no big deal to you, doesn't mean that it is no big deal to someone else.
It isnt a matter of being a big deal to me or not, the bottom line is a tie is an article of clothing, your hair is part of your person. That is comparing apples and oranges.
Old 07-06-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
It isnt a matter of being a big deal to me or not, the bottom line is a tie is an article of clothing, your hair is part of your person. That is comparing apples and oranges.
Let's not overlook the obvious, and why the issue. White kids don't wear dreadlocks. Such a rule, to Striker's point if it even exists, could be more appropriately stated. If it is about length say length, if it is about grooming then no dreadlocks, mohawks, or uncombed.

And agreed Striker, let's be careful to not make any personal judgments about this coach not knowing the full facts.
Old 07-06-18, 01:32 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

If it is a public school they cannot compel students to wear ties. Tinker v. Des Moines (1969)
Tinker v. Des Moines said no such thing. The Tinker case was a 1st Amendment case that said a school could not ban a student from wearing an arm band that protested the Vietnam War. The Court found it to be a violation of the student's right to free speech and expression. It said nothing about a public school not being able to impose a dress code. Cases that followed found that public schools had the right to set reasonable dress codes so long as they did not target a specific race or other protected class, and so long as it wasn't aimed at violating a student's 1st Amendment rights. Courts have also ruled that while the administration is the entity that sets the dress code policy for the school, the coach can set an additional policy for his particular team. The rationale is that while getting an education is a constitutional right, playing football, or engaging in any other extra curricular activity, is not. So coaches are given wider latitude in what they can expect of their players. It would be a difficult legal challenge for the students to win if they went after the anti-dread lock policy in court because all the coach would have to do is come up with a facially legitimate reason for the policy; for example, in his opinion the helmets do not fit properly on an athlete with dread locks, and for safety reasons, he has chosen to ban them. Now, that may be an entirely nonsense position, but the courts would likely accept it because, as stated earlier, the bar is set very low when there is no constitutional right in play. However, in the court of public opinion, if the policy were only against dread locks, then it is a VERY bad look, if nothing else. And public pressure can be brought to bare to try to get him to change his position if the students feel strongly enough about it.
Old 07-06-18, 01:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Cases that followed found that public schools had the right to set reasonable dress codes so long as they did not target a specific race or other protected class, .
Dreadlocks. No reason to ban them, and racist.
Old 07-06-18, 02:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Oh FFS....Tinker v Desmoines was about vietnam protests. It allows schools to ban clothes or other things that "cause a distraction" to the educational process
Old 07-06-18, 02:05 PM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
I guess no MUlletts either, eh?

I banned facial hair when I was a head coach. My reasoning was, I felt referees would give benefit of the doubt to a "baby-faced" looking kid, vs a kid that looked like he was 23 on the basketball floor...

Parents argued...it was my team. My rule. You kid doesn't have to play.

Get a haircut and see ya at 2 a days
Old 07-06-18, 02:26 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Dreadlocks. No reason to ban them, and racist.
Oh, if only the world was so simple. While I don't necessarily disagree with you, just about every federal appeals court does. Courts have pretty consistently held that laws banning dread locks in the workplace and in schools is NOT racial discrimination. I'm not in favor of the Austintown Fitch policy, but I would like to learn more about the thought behind the policy before I tag it as racist.
Old 07-06-18, 02:27 PM
All District

war_admiral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
I guess no MUlletts either, eh?

I banned facial hair when I was a head coach. My reasoning was, I felt referees would give benefit of the doubt to a "baby-faced" looking kid, vs a kid that looked like he was 23 on the basketball floor...

Parents argued...it was my team. My rule. You kid doesn't have to play.

Get a haircut and see ya at 2 a days
So it was your BELIEFS that the way one LOOKS you should impose YOUR BELIEFS on someone. Hmmm
Old 07-06-18, 02:35 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Reading the opening post, it's not clear whether all long hair was banned. It just states that dreadlocks were banned and it caused an uproar.

If all long hair was banned, it's clearly not racist.