Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: The NcK - Mass rivalry is ......
Still the most important high school game in America 12 16.90%
Still the most important game on the schedule 23 32.39%
Losing importance each passing year 20 28.17%
Meaningful mostly to those over 40 11 15.49%
Other than Harbins, just a tune up for the playoffs 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-18, 08:06 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Again - I've never said the game is meaningless, it should be canceled, it's boring, etc. I just said a number of things have changed since, say 2000, and the changes have negatively impacted the importance of this game.
Old 07-01-18, 08:24 PM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Since 2000 (not counting playoff games) it’s 11-7 Tigers so the game is clearly still competitive. The avg attendance since 2000 is right about 17,000 so the fan interest is clearly still there. The week of the game the students decorate both schools to the max so the students interest is still there. The week of the game there are countless dinners and events that both teams attend so the community support is still there. The only thing that has changed since 2000 is Massillon to D2 and mck to the fed. and neither has done anything to negatively impact the game as per my examples above.
Keep trying though it’s fun to continue to prove you wrong Quaker.
Old 07-02-18, 10:36 AM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Even though I don't agree totally with my2sense (by the way stop lumping him in as a McKinley fan because he's not he just hates Massillon) something in this game has changed. For myself personally as a McKinley fan I don't like the way the game of football has changed therefore I don't like how this game has changed. But that's another topic. IMO the next 10 years are extremely important for the series. If Massillon rolls off a 10 and 0 record the next decade this game becomes irrelevant. I believe McKinley needs to at least split with Massillon the next decade to keep this game relevant. If McKinley can't then IMO it will be time to reevaluate wither to continue in the series or not. You can't continue to lose this game just to make a buck every other year. JMO.
Old 07-02-18, 01:16 PM
Cooling Off

In the last 18 week 10 games it’s only 11-7 Tigers. There is no way Massillon goes on a 10-0 run, this series is just too balanced at least over the last 30-40 years.
Old 07-02-18, 01:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Even though I don't agree totally with my2sense (by the way stop lumping him in as a McKinley fan because he's not he just hates Massillon) something in this game has changed. For myself personally as a McKinley fan I don't like the way the game of football has changed therefore I don't like how this game has changed. But that's another topic. IMO the next 10 years are extremely important for the series. If Massillon rolls off a 10 and 0 record the next decade this game becomes irrelevant. I believe McKinley needs to at least split with Massillon the next decade to keep this game relevant. If McKinley can't then IMO it will be time to reevaluate wither to continue in the series or not. You can't continue to lose this game just to make a buck every other year. JMO.
I respect the discernment of reality coming from a long time fan. As you can see, some "fanatics" lack the rational acumen needed to conclude that, like everything else, this game has changed too.

The poll shows that responders are pretty much split down the middle on the question. I knew it would be a great topic.
Old 07-04-18, 04:36 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Addressing each of the 5 poll questions above as a separate proposition:

1. I don't think it's the most important game in America, but I don't know if you could give any game played anywhere that title. How do you determine such a thing? The Massillon-McKinley game outcome usually gets national notice on the big media (ESPN for example) and perhaps elsewhere like USA Today. It's "way up there", I suppose in that the outcome usually gets that national mention on big media.

2. Both teams start with a 10 game schedule in most seasons and playoffs aren't determined until after that schedule is played. I would say yes, it's the most important game for each school and it's fan base each year that's on the schedule. It usually means a good amount of Harbin points for the winner too.

3. Losing importance each passing year? Well... it seems that High School sports are losing importance in American society in general and football specifically is under attack in the way other sports are not, for safety reasons real or perceived. So I would say yes but I'd say that about all HS sports and rivalries in general.

4. Meaningful mostly to those over 40? I would say yes because it's probably around 40 that many people realize what they had (or missed out on) during High School years when all the pressures of making a living, supporting a family, etc., pressures of adult and modern life in general weren't on them. HS years for most are/were largely carefree times and they are a lot more precious once they are long gone, than they were as we went through them originally, and took being youthful for granted. JMHO on this question, your mileage or POV may vary.

5. I doubt the fanbases view the game as just a tune-up for the playoffs. A tune-up (in my opinion) would be playing a weak opponent you could experiment against, a low caliber opponent where no matter what you did re: game plan or personnel it was very likely you would win. And neither school punches a playoff ticket EVERY single season. This isn't a game either side would be playing for a mere tune-up.

===============================================

I am not a member of either school's fanbase, but I do like to see both the Tigers and the Bulldogs do well.
Old 07-04-18, 05:33 PM
All American

Good post
Old 07-05-18, 10:31 AM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Son. Please be quiet. Please.
Forgot to add this too... when our helmets were leather, if you dare took a drink of water during practice you had to run rewards (Green will know what I am talking about).... and Cars and Music was still better then!

So here is what we know... McK/Mass game really does not mean as much as it used to... Federal League changed that... And Massillon has never won a Championship that wasn't decided by the Newspaper - right?

Now Son - Please be quiet... Please!
Old 07-05-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
I respect the discernment of reality coming from a long time fan. As you can see, some "fanatics" lack the rational acumen needed to conclude that, like everything else, this game has changed too.
Very telling that losing 10 straight games (lol) or McKinley cancelling the series if they don't win enough is your idea of reality or rational.

Hey could happen. Go Tigers!!!

Last edited by TigerPaw; 07-05-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

No doubt the FL has changed the whole landscape of football in Ohio.

Hope you still wear that helmet Shadow.
Old 07-05-18, 12:22 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Forgot to add this too... when our helmets were leather, if you dare took a drink of water during practice you had to run rewards (Green will know what I am talking about).... and Cars and Music was still better then!

So here is what we know... McK/Mass game really does not mean as much as it used to... Federal League changed that... And Massillon has never won a Championship that wasn't decided by the Newspaper - right?

Wrong the federal league changed NOTHING in terms of the week 10 game.
24 titles has such a nice ring to it.....
Old 07-05-18, 01:10 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Yale/ Harvard is the greatest rivalry in football, no question.

Remind me of how many national championships Yale has?
Old 07-05-18, 01:14 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
yale/ harvard is the greatest rivalry in football, no question.

Remind me of how many national championships yale has?
Old 07-05-18, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Wrong the federal league changed NOTHING in terms of the week 10 game.
24 titles has such a nice ring to it.....
They rustle more than ring. And that yellow isnt gold....it's old aged paper.
Old 07-05-18, 03:21 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

How did the Federal League change it at all? You’re just being an idiot now.
Old 07-05-18, 03:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Yale/ Harvard is the greatest rivalry in football, no question.

Remind me of how many national championships Yale has?
Good one.....

Federal League Chase for Championship means more now than Mck/Mass rivalry now... sorry

Scenario: I lost EVERY Federal League game but we beat Mass - whoopee! - NOT!

Guys don't get mad - The Mck/Mass game really does not mean as much as it used to - that's that!
Old 07-05-18, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

You'd never guess that by the amount of FL fans & trolls who flock to every Mass/Mck thread, or the lack of interest on their own.
Old 07-05-18, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Saw Green last month,gave me a tour of his Penthouse and a Tiger souvenir to take home.
Old 07-05-18, 07:24 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
They rustle more than ring. And that yellow isnt gold....it's old aged paper.
Trophies and rings. Jealousy is a bi7ch....
Old 07-05-18, 07:26 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Good one.....

Federal League Chase for Championship means more now than Mck/Mass rivalry now... sorry

Scenario: I lost EVERY Federal League game but we beat Mass - whoopee! - NOT!

Guys don't get mad - The Mck/Mass game really does not mean as much as it used to - that's that!
Go to bed old man you are clueless. Isnt there a thread for the Central-Aquinas rivalry ?
Old 07-09-18, 03:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Go to bed old man you are clueless. Isnt there a thread for the Central-Aquinas rivalry ?
That is funny - son just remember Mck/Mass game really does not mean as much as it use to - that's all!

McK and Massillon are the Foundation of Stark County High School Football forever - We all still love and RESPECT the game...

The Game just doesn't mean as much as it use to... that's all
Old 07-09-18, 04:56 PM
All American

garydaddy1 is on a distinguished road
No!!!!! Only matters to Massillon & Mckinley fans.
Neither team frightens the big boys in Ohio.
The big boys outside of Ohio don't even know who the Tigers and Pups are.
Old 07-10-18, 02:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydaddy1 View Post
No!!!!! Only matters to Massillon & Mckinley fans.
Neither team frightens the big boys in Ohio.
The big boys outside of Ohio don't even know who the Tigers and Pups are.
Brutal comment - but I can't disagree...

It is sad but years ago Mck/Mass were the Big Boys!

All American Conference - 1963-1979
1. McKinley
2. Massillon
3. Warren Harding
4. Niles McKinley
5. Steubenville Big Red
6. Alliance

17 years - 6 State Titles - Placed a team in Top 4 Every Year

And The World Revolved around the McK/Mass game!

Like I said - the answer to the thread is - Game does not mean as much!
Old 07-10-18, 03:22 PM
All Yappi

Funny though, I see jackets from schools and teams all over Ohio not just Stark. Still a top 2-3 destination for hs football fans from all over Ohio to come experience. I know you'll be there Shadow and probably post 20 times on the game thread.

If it aint exactly "what it was" that's ok. Defeating a very good 8-1 McKinley team at the inaugural Benson meeting was intense, and great fun. I think Mck takes the FL back this year, and both teams will be very good again. Can't wait!
Old 07-10-18, 04:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
If it aint exactly "what it was" that's ok.
It isn't so I'm glad you're OK with it.
Old 07-10-18, 05:02 PM
All American

BTW - the 50/50 split in the poll means it was a great question.
Old 07-10-18, 09:48 PM
All American

Its Week 10. Both teams are already in the playoffs. A win slightly improves your seeding. You have a couple key kids banged up. Do you play them because of the history of the game or sit them out and improve your chances in Week 11?
Old 07-11-18, 05:47 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Its Week 10. Both teams are already in the playoffs. A win slightly improves your seeding. You have a couple key kids banged up. Do you play them because of the history of the game or sit them out and improve your chances in Week 11?
This question alone proves how off base you are on this one. Try to keep a Massillon kid out of the McKinley game and see what happens. And I suspect the same is true at McKinley.
Old 07-11-18, 07:46 AM
All Yappi

That's about as clueless as you can get, but forgive him Egret. For as much as he trolls Massillon and wants McKinley to win, losing 7 of 9 makes them grapes awful sour.

I do hope McKinley keeps resting their players though, lol.
Old 07-11-18, 09:20 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Asking this truly shows how clueless you are and proves you never played in this game nor have never been closer then sitting in the stands.