Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: The NcK - Mass rivalry is ......
Still the most important high school game in America 12 16.90%
Still the most important game on the schedule 23 32.39%
Losing importance each passing year 20 28.17%
Meaningful mostly to those over 40 11 15.49%
Other than Harbins, just a tune up for the playoffs 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-18, 10:12 PM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Ask the guys who made the documentary Timeless Rivals last year. It was seen by thousands at the Palace and the Lincoln. It's the best High School rivalry in America and it was featured on ESPN again last year several times . I'd say it carries slightly more importance to Massillon/Mckinley fans than most others, but people from every school in a 60 mile radius seem to always show up for the game every year. Watch the documentary and maybe some of you would understand a little more
Old 06-29-18, 11:11 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
Nobody who played the game would ever be so disrespectful to the men who built the game as much as you are. And I find it truly disgusting you would lie about military service. No way on God's green earth you served our country.
Is this the part where I'm supposed to prove myself to you? LOL

I played and served, that's how I know there is zero disrespect in my question.
It just doesn't mean what it used to mean. Hell a lot of things don't.

Of course old men are going to misremember it as the most important thing ever. The question is does it mean the same thing to today's kids as it did before. And the answer is no.
Old 06-29-18, 11:23 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Is this the part where I'm supposed to prove myself to you? LOL

I played and served, that's how I know there is zero disrespect in my question.
It just doesn't mean what it used to mean. Hell a lot of things don't.

Of course old men are going to misremember it as the most important thing ever. The question is does it mean the same thing to today's kids as it did before. And the answer is no.
We are all still waiting on facts to back up this bulls7it that you are spewing about todayís kids. Where are the quotes from any player at Massillon or mckinley in the last few years to back this up. You will never provide any because you are a liar.
If your so forthcoming with your info then what year did you play and what position ? If you canít share that then you are just a typical kid hiding behind a keyboard that is nothing but a fraud and a liar.
Old 06-30-18, 06:00 AM
All American

You Massillon guys never change - when you lack a cogent response you become keyboard bully LOL

BTW - it's "you're" not "your". You and firewatch must have had the same English teacher haha

It would be interesting to know the ages of the poll respondents. I bet the average age of respondents in the first two choices are way above the ages of the last 3.
Old 06-30-18, 06:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
They gave up 56 unanswered to a team that got waxed in the title game so...probably not.
Old 06-30-18, 06:38 AM
All District

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
Could someone please explain again how to block the idiots? You know ,Mr nonsense, mac n cheese, dick breath and the other creeps infatuated with Massillon. A Lot of butt sore people out there. Hey we might not be as good as we once were
but we will be as good once in a while as we ever were.
Old 06-30-18, 07:02 AM
All American

Quote:
You Massillon guys never change - when you lack a cogent response you become keyboard bully LOL

BTW - it's "you're" not "your". You and firewatch must have had the same English teacher haha

It would be interesting to know the ages of the poll respondents. I bet the average age of respondents in the first two choices are way above the ages of the last 3.
Still never answered the questions.... liar
Old 06-30-18, 07:07 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First of all the 1st choice is over the top. Ohio would be fairer. And only 2 positive connotations (1 really) vs. 3 negative to fit your narrative.

Methinks Massillon Yappi troll McKinley fan losing 6 of last 7 after constantly running his mouth all these years has developed a little butthurt. No disrespect to McKinley and most fans.

Reminds me of the Hoover vs. Louisville rivalry poll when the Leopards were dominating. WAY more important to them while Hoover fans were like ehhh, lol. Human nature. I get that. Losing 6 of 7 is a HORRIBLE stretch, given our rivalry (or ANY rivalry), history, and traditions. Has to sting mightily. Whatever makes you feel better.

I LOVE Massillon vs. McKinley week!!! The game itself. And usually the outcome.
Old 06-30-18, 08:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
First of all the 1st choice is over the top.
Yet it's tied for first place

Following your logic, maybe Mass fans are overstating the importance of the game since their team won 6 of the last 7? Maybe they are the ones voting for the top two choices

I enjoy the game as well. I have attended many of them. But the significance of the game has declined.
Old 06-30-18, 09:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Yet it's tied for first place

Following your logic, maybe Mass fans are overstating the importance of the game since their team won 6 of the last 7? Maybe they are the ones voting for the top two choices

I enjoy the game as well. I have attended many of them. But the significance of the game has declined.
Significance over the last 45 years and it hasnít at all. Now if your going back before the 70ís when a state championship was on the line thatís a different story. But since then itís still a week long celebration for both schools and cities and the teams put plays in during the off-season just to use during that game. The schools are in different divisions but this year ask the players from both teams if they want nothing more then to beat the other and possibly prevent them from making the playoffs.
There will be more then 15,000 at PBTS on that Saturday afternoon and you wonít find one person in the stands to say this game doesnít mean as much as it did 10-20 or 30 years ago.
But yet you played for mck so im sure you know that.... well mck, New Philly whatís the difference right ? LMAO
Old 06-30-18, 09:39 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
If McKinley had won 6 of the last 7 this thread wouldnít exist.
Old 06-30-18, 03:53 PM
All Region

23xTigers is on a distinguished road
Does the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry lose significance in the minds of anyone because Michigan hasn't been a legit contender in quite some time or because the Buckeyes have dominated as of late? Even at times when both teams have been down or not in contention that takes nothing from the rivalry because of all the history and intensity of emotion between both sides. If you think for one minute McK isn't going to be playing their hearts to get that bell back this year, then your out of your mind or ignorant. In years when one team or the other is out of contention or decided underdogs and looking to spoil, then the game means everything to their season.

As a sports fan it is extremely hard for me to understand how anyone can diminish any of the great all time historical rivalries in sports. UM/ND renew their rivalry this year and I can't wait. Neither team has had many great teams as of late, I know ND had a run in 12, but that takes nothing from the rivalry because of all the history. It is one of college football's great traditional rivalries and nothing will diminish that for true fans of the game. It is the same with McK and Massillon
Old 06-30-18, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23xTigers View Post
Does the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry lose significance in the minds of anyone because Michigan hasn't been a legit contender in quite some time or because the Buckeyes have dominated as of late? Even at times when both teams have been down or not in contention that takes nothing from the rivalry because of all the history and intensity of emotion between both sides. If you think for one minute McK isn't going to be playing their hearts to get that bell back this year, then your out of your mind or ignorant. In years when one team or the other is out of contention or decided underdogs and looking to spoil, then the game means everything to their season.

As a sports fan it is extremely hard for me to understand how anyone can diminish any of the great all time historical rivalries in sports. UM/ND renew their rivalry this year and I can't wait. Neither team has had many great teams as of late, I know ND had a run in 12, but that takes nothing from the rivalry because of all the history. It is one of college football's great traditional rivalries and nothing will diminish that for true fans of the game. It is the same with McK and Massillon
For the fan bases of UM and OSU, sure it's still a big deal. But nationally I believe it's lost a bit of it's luster.

Steelers/Browns was a major rivalry...its not even a big game for the Steelers fanbase anymore.
Old 06-30-18, 07:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
For the fan bases of UM and OSU, sure it's still a big deal. But nationally I believe it's lost a bit of it's luster.

Steelers/Browns was a major rivalry...its not even a big game for the Steelers fanbase anymore.
It's hard to correlate the "rivalries" in the NFL with the great rivalries in the college/high school game. NFL product is so watered down at the present time. Best rivalry that has stood the test of time in the NFL is the Bears/Packers, but again a tremendous amount of history between two legendary organizations.
Old 06-30-18, 09:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23xTigers View Post
Does the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry lose significance in the minds of anyone because Michigan hasn't been a legit contender in quite some time or because the Buckeyes have dominated as of late?
Yes. And if one of them fell to Div 2 and they were no longer in the same conference it would lose a lot of interest.
Old 06-30-18, 11:34 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
It's hard to argue that a 'rivalry' matters to people not in the rivalry. Cal-Stanford has one of the most amazing finishes in college football history, yet most people couldn't even tell you who won it last year.

But it matters to their fans. As for my point about Phillipsburg-Easton, it's mostly because it's the longest continuously played rivalry. Not because of any particular intensity of that rivalry.

Massillon-McKinley will always be up there, nationally, because the all-time win/loss record puts those two on the map. Both top ten in all-time wins. That's noteworthy.

At any given season, the 'best rivalry' might be in a state 1,000 miles away and you'd never know it. So, what difference does it make? So if Dowling Catholic-Ankeny is suddenly the 'best rivalry', that game suddenly matters to you as an individual? No.

Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas-Miami Northwestern became the greatest game ever? Would you care? No. Because in the end there's really nothing about it that matters to you.

The entire creation of this thread seems to be based entirely on the idea that somehow this doesn't matter any more because it doesn't matter to some random fan from the outside looking in.

When reality is it's judgement is only of the fans involved in the rivalry. You think for one moment Ohio State fans aren't reveling their sheer dominance of Michigan? Whether some fan in rural Oklahoma decides not to turn on the TV for it?
Old 07-01-18, 03:09 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
The entire creation of this thread seems to be based entirely on the idea that somehow this doesn't matter any more because it doesn't matter to some random fan from the outside looking in.
Right here says it all.

No one at the two schools thinks it has declined. It has been as intense the past 6-10 years as it has always been. Yes, there are a few empty seats now just like everywhere else, but it's still one of the greatest shows in HS football if you wish to go. Has nothing to do with the teams themselves or the entertainment factor of the games.

Its primacy can be disconcerting if you're from an outside school. Iggy vs. Ed's means more in terms of the march to the state title now, undeniably, but doesn't get the same attention. From a selfish standpoint, it's irritating to me that Jackson vs. Hoover has to live in its shadow. But at the end of the day none of this matters. More rivalries and richer rivalries = better for all of us. Including Massillon-McKinley for all you haters and losers, as the President might say. Just saying that HS football might not be around forever with the way trends around the sport are going. Enjoy it while it lasts, folks!!
Old 07-01-18, 05:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Significance over the last 45 years and it hasnít at all.
This isn't a sentence. Care to try again?
Old 07-01-18, 06:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
1.No one at the two schools thinks it has declined.
2. It has been as intense the past 6-10 years as it has always been.
1. You've talked to everyone at both schools? Please clarify.
2. By what measures? The rivalry has gone on for decades. Are you suggesting the intensity level has never changed or it is somehow impossible of changing?

Speaking in hyperbole is fine but doesn't make it factual. I have spoken to fans, coaches and administrators from each school over the years and the majority consensus is different than yours.

We live in a region where wishing nothing would change and hanging on the "good old days" is valued, but everything changes. Populations decline, businesses leave, tax bases dwindle, etc. Some changes are unpleasant, but denial doesn't change the reality.
Old 07-01-18, 07:59 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. You've talked to everyone at both schools? Please clarify.
2. By what measures? The rivalry has gone on for decades. Are you suggesting the intensity level has never changed or it is somehow impossible of changing?

Speaking in hyperbole is fine but doesn't make it factual. I have spoken to fans, coaches and administrators from each school over the years and the majority consensus is different than yours.

We live in a region where wishing nothing would change and hanging on the "good old days" is valued, but everything changes. Populations decline, businesses leave, tax bases dwindle, etc. Some changes are unpleasant, but denial doesn't change the reality.
You've seen my posts on here for a couple seasons -- of course I engage in hyperbole.

My position is that it's a bulwark among games in a level of the sport in which the public has a declining interest. If you want to get in the weeds over it, I'd say the thing that's becoming more important than anything is an individual player's Twitter highlight reel. Call it the NBA-ification of prep sports.

Does it "mean" as much as it did in 1998? No. Does any other rivalry game? No. You seem to want to suggest something else is supplanting it (the big Fed game with title implications, or Iggy-Ed's, or some out of state game) and I don't see that as the case. There's no option in your poll for "people increasingly think high school football is lame/boring and by proxy don't care about Massillon-McKinley" but that's what I'd vote for if it were there. That includes students (nationally) actually in attendance at the school, who are also not showing up (or participating in the team/band/cheerleading squad/whatever).

What do you think is different about it? Just a change in focus towards the post-season? Other games (maybe wanting to play the closer neighbor in Plain or Perry) or something else? Don't be cryptic, now.
Old 07-01-18, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Page 3 and not a single fan or coach from either school agrees. Odd.

Between hyperbole and facts, as if Bagdad Bob and Kellyanne Conway had a son, lol.
Old 07-01-18, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

Almost forgot: TIG!!!

Ahh well... 10:05am, time to hit the pool, 6 out of 7, and Michigan still sux.
Old 07-01-18, 09:19 AM
All American

Quote:
This isn't a sentence. Care to try again?
When you start answering questions Quaker boy then we will have a discussion until then we will all continue to prove you are a lying troll.
Old 07-01-18, 10:14 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
The fact that this thread is now three pages long with over 80 posts tells us that yes, to some people, even those just here to troll the Tigers, the rivalry still means something.
Old 07-01-18, 01:22 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Methinks Massillon Yappi troll McKinley fan losing 6 of last 7 after constantly running his mouth all these years has developed a little butthurt. No disrespect to McKinley and most fans.
Sounds like you and the other Hilary fans before and after the election.

Who gives a rip if the series is dwindling away, both fan bases have a aging population with youthful families leaving in droves.
Old 07-01-18, 03:52 PM
All Region

If you're a casual fan of the game of football the game probably doesn't matter, unless you happen to have a rooting interest in one side or the other. However, if you are a true fan of the game and a student of the game the significance of the this rivalry will not be lost on you. Lastly, if you are hater of all things Massillon Tiger football, then you will continuously look for anything to try to denigrate Tiger football. It is never-ending, but as always Go Tigers, beat McK!

On a sidenote last year was of particular importance to us Tigers as we were able to open up the new Tom Benson stadium with a big win in thrilling fashion, keeping the bell where it belongs in Massillon!
Old 07-01-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

Who gives a rip if the series is dwindling away, both fan bases have a aging population with youthful families leaving in droves.

A post from a jealous FEDERAList fan.
Old 07-01-18, 05:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

Where did you go after you graduated in 89í ? What position did you play ?
Old 07-01-18, 06:36 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
It has declined because, to be honest, interest in HS football in general has declined. I mean, the game doesn’t even sell out any more. Attendance is down across the state as well. Just the way it is.
Old 07-01-18, 08:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
1.You've seen my posts on here for a couple seasons -- of course I engage in hyperbole.

2. I'd say the thing that's becoming more important than anything is an individual player's Twitter highlight reel. Call it the NBA-ification of prep sports.

3.You seem to want to suggest something else is supplanting it (the big Fed game with title implications, or Iggy-Ed's, or some out of state game) and I don't see that as the case.

4. What do you think is different about it? Just a change in focus towards the post-season? Other games (maybe wanting to play the closer neighbor in Plain or Perry) or something else? Don't be cryptic, now.
1. True, that is your style.
2. 100% agree. Another reason the game is decreasing - it's a "Me" over "We" sports era.
3. I am suggesting nothing other than what I said.
4. See my first post. Not cryptic at all. Changes over the last few years have decreased the importance of the game (playoffs matter more, different divisions, etc)