Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: The NcK - Mass rivalry is ......
Still the most important high school game in America 12 16.90%
Still the most important game on the schedule 23 32.39%
Losing importance each passing year 20 28.17%
Meaningful mostly to those over 40 11 15.49%
Other than Harbins, just a tune up for the playoffs 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-18, 03:50 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Or 24, but if you want to diminish what those players and coaches did during those times then by all means troll away.
Wait - do you really want to talk about the 24?

Did not mean to hurt any feelings I just answered the question to the thread

Federal League games are just as important now - sorry!
Old 06-28-18, 03:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
In that regard yes Shadow I understand obviously neither team is as good as they once were, and of course the pre-playoff era added to the importance of the week 10 meeting.

Where I will disagree is relative to today. To the players playing, fans of both communities, and statewide recognition, it remains among (if not the) best rivalries in Ohio and the country. I love you old guys though. NOTHING is as good as it used to be. Not hs football, not cars, not music, not women, not mom's apple pie. Lol.
Think about what you just said... and then you will get your answer

You got it exactly correct!
Old 06-28-18, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDawg View Post
Does this rivalry still matter?
That is not the proper question.
The question is... why ask?
Traditionally speaking... LIKE NO OTHER!
From the mid-1800's until today the bitterness between the two cities has instilled a part of who is best. From the professional Bulldogs and Tigers to the namesakes that carry on today. That tradition will never, ever fail to be more than life itself.

Someone's perspective on a high school football game is slightly askew in my opinion.
Old 06-28-18, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post
Hmmm. Ehhh. Nah, not really.
Old 06-28-18, 04:11 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Football season can't get here sooner!!! A few of those JEALOUS TROLLS are too much!!!
Old 06-28-18, 06:04 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
NOTHING is as good as it used to be. Not hs football, not cars, not music, not women, not mom's apple pie. Lol.
Agree with this in theory. The summers when I had two-a-days were way hotter than they are now LOL

I'm just trying to insert some logic into an emotional topic - I think adults believe its still the most important thing ever but if you lose Week 10 but go on and have a playoff run and earn a scholly, Week 10 is a distant memory.

Having been around coaches for many years I also believe if you gave Reardon and Moore truth serum and turned off all the cell phones they would say its a huge pain in the arse that they have to hype their kids up for and then want them to forget the next week, win or lose.

I also suspect a lot of guys whose best years were in high school need to make it bigger than it was.

I watched friends die in Desert Storm and lost my father earlier this year. No Dave, a football game, any game, is not bigger than life itself.
Old 06-28-18, 06:29 PM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You are truly delusional if you believe that the federal league games are just as important to mck fans as the Massillon game.
Old 06-28-18, 06:44 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Someone's perspective on a high school football game is slightly askew in my opinion.
Yet here you are on a high school football forum just posting away and about a team you have no affiliation for whatsoever.
Old 06-28-18, 06:50 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Agree with this in theory. The summers when I had two-a-days were way hotter than they are now LOL

I'm just trying to insert some logic into an emotional topic - I think adults believe its still the most important thing ever but if you lose Week 10 but go on and have a playoff run and earn a scholly, Week 10 is a distant memory.

Having been around coaches for many years I also believe if you gave Reardon and Moore truth serum and turned off all the cell phones they would say its a huge pain in the arse that they have to hype their kids up for and then want them to forget the next week, win or lose.

I also suspect a lot of guys whose best years were in high school need to make it bigger than it was.

I watched friends die in Desert Storm and lost my father earlier this year. No Dave, a football game, any game, is not bigger than life itself.
I didnít know that being a water boy meant you had two-a-days also but I guess someone had to keep the players hydrated.
The coaches from both teams have been saying that in a roundabout way for years and years now, Shepas came right out and said it.
Need to make it bigger then it was/is ? Clearly you never stepped on the field for a Mass-mck game.
Old 06-28-18, 06:58 PM
All American

Quote:
The coaches from both teams have been saying that in a roundabout way for years and years now, Shepas came right out and said it.
Link? Where and when did he "come right out and say it"?

We'll wait (with low expectation since you never produce accurate info)

Bottom line - it's nothing like what it was even 20 years ago for players and coaches who have actually achieved something more meaningful since high school.
Old 06-28-18, 07:13 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Link? Where and when did he "come right out and say it"?

We'll wait (with low expectation since you never produce accurate info)

Bottom line - it's nothing like what it was even 20 years ago for players and coaches who have actually achieved something more meaningful since high school.
By all means do your own research, if you can find a link to the Coaches Show that Bill Caples used to do on WTIG then you will find your answer.

Speaking of producing accurate info do you have quotes from the players in last years game or in the last few years that will say the game isnít as meaningful as it was 20 years ago....We will wait but of course you will have nothin because that was just another assinine opinion of someone who NEVER played in the game !!
Old 06-28-18, 07:36 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Still important to the schools and their diehard fans, but the fact that the teams haven't been competing for state championships recently has reduced its importance on a statewide and national scale.
Old 06-28-18, 07:43 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Still important to the schools and their diehard fans, but the fact that the teams haven't been competing for state championships recently has reduced its importance on a statewide and national scale.
They havenít ? Massillon was in the final 4 just last year.
Old 06-28-18, 09:12 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yet here you are on a high school football forum just posting away and about a team you have no affiliation for whatsoever.
Obviously, you're unable to make the distinction, but there's quite a difference between me posting here on Yappi an average of once a day and someone saying the tradition of McKinley/Massillon is more important than life. (I can't even type that without laughing.)

Or, maybe you agree with him.
Old 06-28-18, 09:18 PM
All American

Quote:
By all means do your own research, if you can find a link to the Coaches Show that Bill Caples used to do on WTIG then you will find your answer.

Your response is to use that old mushmouth's show as a serious reference?
Old 06-28-18, 09:19 PM
All American

Quote:
They havenít ? Massillon was in the final 4 just last year.
Do you believe Massillon was a serious contender for the state title last year?
Old 06-28-18, 09:21 PM
All American

"Losing importance with each passing year" now tied for first. Rational. informed opinions are prevailing.
Old 06-28-18, 09:34 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Obviously, you're unable to make the distinction, but there's quite a difference between me posting here on Yappi an average of once a day and someone saying the tradition of McKinley/Massillon is more important than life. (I can't even type that without laughing.)

Or, maybe you agree with him.
Yet your last 4 posts are all about Massillon and that isnít Massillon Jackson.
#troll
Old 06-28-18, 09:37 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:

Your response is to use that old mushmouth's show as a serious reference?
Still waiting on your references of players in the last few years who will say the game isnít as important as it was 20 years ago.
#fakenews
Old 06-28-18, 09:38 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Yes
Old 06-28-18, 09:42 PM
All Region

23xTigers is on a distinguished road
It's always going to be of great significance to those that love the game of football, because so much is encompassed between both schools. It is the embodiment of the game. It's the original rivalry and I can't believe the significance of the game is actually being questioned by some. Just the history between the schools and the men whom have played and coached on both sides are unsurpassed.
Old 06-28-18, 10:00 PM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Where did you play football at? Simple question. Nobody who played the game would ever be so disrespectful to the men who built the game as much as you are. And I find it truly disgusting you would lie about military service. No way on God's green earth you served our country.
Old 06-29-18, 07:44 AM
All World

Quote:
You are truly delusional if you believe that the federal league games are just as important to mck fans as the Massillon game.
You guys are missing the whole original question which is "Does the Mck/Mass game mean as much as it used to"

Heck NO - double NO!!!

Now I am sure Mck/Mass fans may think it does BUT this game use to be STATEWIDE/NATIONWIDE news!

And as for the Federal League - McK does not Dominate at all and Massillon is D2 - so sorry!

McK/Mass game does not mean as much to the Football Community as it used to!

And while I am at it:

Music was better
Cars were better
Women - no comment
Old 06-29-18, 07:45 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There have been countless books and articles with ex-coaches to a man quoted as saying there is nothing like it, including Reardon and Moore. They were not on truth serum though so probably lying, lol.

There are ALOT of big rivalry games in Ohio that have to then play the next week. Part of coaching. Not unique.
Old 06-29-18, 07:55 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:

Son. Please be quiet. Please.
Old 06-29-18, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Seems to me that all games are important when it comes to playoff points. To the McKinley and Massillon fans it is and should be the biggest game of the year. That is why rivalries are great. The truth is that nobody outside the two communities cares. Hoban/SVSM, Iggy/Ed’s, Dover/New Philly, Kent/Ravenna are all good rivalries and that is the only one that matters to them. They are all as important as people in the communities make it. Some are not bigger and none are older but rivalries non the less. Although I could care less about who wins the Massillon McKinley game each year I would say the history is incredible and it is one of the few games outside of my little world that I still pay attention to.
Old 06-29-18, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They gave up 56 unanswered to a team that got waxed in the title game so...probably not.
Old 06-29-18, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
I can guarantee the Massillon-Canton game is still extremely important to the Massillon community and the football program. TWO FACTS: The Tigers have won the last 6 out of the last 7 games and also includes winning around 70% of the recently played games between the schools. 70-53-5. GO TIGERS!!!!
Old 06-29-18, 10:12 PM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Ask the guys who made the documentary Timeless Rivals last year. It was seen by thousands at the Palace and the Lincoln. It's the best High School rivalry in America and it was featured on ESPN again last year several times . I'd say it carries slightly more importance to Massillon/Mckinley fans than most others, but people from every school in a 60 mile radius seem to always show up for the game every year. Watch the documentary and maybe some of you would understand a little more
Old 06-29-18, 11:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
Nobody who played the game would ever be so disrespectful to the men who built the game as much as you are. And I find it truly disgusting you would lie about military service. No way on God's green earth you served our country.
Is this the part where I'm supposed to prove myself to you? LOL

I played and served, that's how I know there is zero disrespect in my question.
It just doesn't mean what it used to mean. Hell a lot of things don't.

Of course old men are going to misremember it as the most important thing ever. The question is does it mean the same thing to today's kids as it did before. And the answer is no.