Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: The NcK - Mass rivalry is ......
Still the most important high school game in America 12 16.90%
Still the most important game on the schedule 23 32.39%
Losing importance each passing year 20 28.17%
Meaningful mostly to those over 40 11 15.49%
Other than Harbins, just a tune up for the playoffs 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-18, 08:39 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Does the McK - Mass Game Really Mean as Much As It Used to?

Some might think it's sacrilege to suggest, but it's a legit question. Consider:

They are no longer in the same division
They are not in the same league so no conference advantage
In the age of recruits/transfers it has lost some community pride
In the playoff era it is more of a distraction before Week 10 than a "must win" game.

The only competitive issue now is some potential Harbins for playoff seeding
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-18, 09:08 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
It's still the gold standard of football rivalries. Lack of conference implications never mattered. Massillon being D2 hurts a little in that you won't get a post-season rematch again but it's not a huge deal.

I think the only way you could consider Massillon-McKinley to "mean less" is just that people aren't as into HS football as they were 20 years ago. I've noticed the community things like signs decking out every business that week or parade attendance -- that kind of stuff is down a little. Not like it was when I was a kid. But that's more a societal trend than anything about the two teams.
Old 06-27-18, 09:13 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
74,703 is the total attendance for the last 5 games, there isnt anyone in the state that has those types of #’s for their rivalry game. So clearly it still means a lot to a lot of people.
Do you realize this “age of recruits and transfers” has been going on since long before you were even born.
Please go to the game this year and ask 50 mck fans if they care more about beating Massillon or winning the federal league, I’ll take 50-0 for beating Massillon for $1,000.
Old 06-27-18, 09:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
It's still the gold standard of football rivalries. Lack of conference implications never mattered. Massillon being D2 hurts a little in that you won't get a post-season rematch again but it's not a huge deal.

I think the only way you could consider Massillon-McKinley to "mean less" is just that people aren't as into HS football as they were 20 years ago. I've noticed the community things like signs decking out every business that week or parade attendance -- that kind of stuff is down a little. Not like it was when I was a kid. But that's more a societal trend than anything about the two teams.
The signs in Massillon and the parade havenít changed at all in the last 50 years.
The parade last year was an hour long and both sides of lincolnway were lined all the way through town.
Old 06-27-18, 09:42 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Itís still the best rivalry in Ohio with playoff implications and bragging rights.
Old 06-27-18, 09:53 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
For Ohio? Yeah, it's probably the most storied and looked for regular season game on the schedule.

Nationally? Phillipsburg-Easton probably gets the slight nod as most notable (ESPN aired a game, though it was Thanksgiving morning which helped allow such an endeavor).

As someone pointed out, the attendance alone for the string of games dictates its importance. Maybe without live television, it'd be a sellout at each end instead of the sometimes lackluster crowds compared to stadium size or whenever weather plays a role.
Old 06-28-18, 12:36 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Massillon-McKinley is still the nations top high school rivalry, in my opinion.
Old 06-28-18, 02:06 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Nationally? Phillipsburg-Easton probably gets the slight nod as most notable (ESPN aired a game, though it was Thanksgiving morning which helped allow such an endeavor).
That's probably the only knock on Massillon-McKinley is that the Halloween weekend timing means a lot of people not paying attention outside of Ohio. Didn't Ohio used to go a lot later into November during the regular season in the pre-playoff days??
Old 06-28-18, 05:08 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its still huge, IMO.
Old 06-28-18, 05:26 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
1. 74,703 is the total attendance for the last 5 games, there isnt anyone in the state that has those types of #ís for their rivalry game. So clearly it still means a lot to a lot of people.
2. Do you realize this ďage of recruits and transfersĒ has been going on since long before you were even born.
3. Please go to the game this year and ask 50 mck fans if they care more about beating Massillon or winning the federal league, Iíll take 50-0 for beating Massillon for $1,000.
1. Iggy vs Ed's ?
2. How long has Massillon been recruiting?
3. OK McK fans - would you rather win the Fed or beat Massillon?
Old 06-28-18, 06:21 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
1. Iggy vs Ed's ?
Iggy vs Edís is a big game (Iíve been to both rivalry games), but it isnít Mck vs Massillon.
Old 06-28-18, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
If you are some lowly Canton beat writer, a frustrated McKinley fan, and/or a famous Massillon troll on Yappi, having lost 6 of the last 7 then no, the game may not mean that much.

For Massillon fans, most McKinley fans, and everyone else looking in, it is still unquestionably among (at least) the best rivalries in the state and country.

That was an easy one.
Old 06-28-18, 09:43 AM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Here is your answer to your question - and you can take this to the Bank...

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!

and I have seen more of these games than probably anybody on this thread!
Old 06-28-18, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This.

It's still as big as any Ohio rivalry, and nationally as well. It's just that the importance of the local HS sports isn't what it was back in the day.
Old 06-28-18, 10:22 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
It's still important to me but not the end-all. Up until about 3-4 years ago I was up there every year for the game and would NEVER think of missing it. Now, I don't go but I sure stream the game and watch it. Still a classic. Love that rivalry.
Old 06-28-18, 10:28 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
It's still important to me but not the end-all. Up until about 3-4 years ago I was up there every year for the game and would NEVER think of missing it. Now, I don't go but I sure stream the game and watch it. Still a classic. Love that rivalry.
And in your absence we have won 6 of 7. Keep up the good work.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YJ85eVpdZDy7e/giphy.gif

Old 06-28-18, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
This.

It's still as big as any Ohio rivalry, and nationally as well. It's just that the importance of the local HS sports isn't what it was back in the day.
This is undeniably true also. Crowd sizes are down across the board, on average. More competition for entertainment dollar.

That said the occasional marquee matchups still draw very well, though less often. Ie. 2 undefeated or highly ranked powerhouses etc. 4-6 win seasons not so much even for rivals.
Old 06-28-18, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Nothing is the end-all when you are old - except for real end-alls, lol.

As a kid through my 20's- mid 30's though everything was bigger. Go ahead - pun intended.
Old 06-28-18, 11:41 AM
All Ohio

JoeCool is on a distinguished road
Would rather beat massillon then winning the fed.

Egret you can stay at my house rent free for the next Game! Lol need that good luck you bring 🤣

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-18, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
As far as playoff implications go, Ignatius-Ed's has surpassed the battle of Stark County.
Old 06-28-18, 12:17 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
What’s the average 50/50?
Old 06-28-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

What implications? Iggy & Eds routinely make the playoffs and always will. Do you mean if/when they meet in the playoffs? That is way up there, but ever been to a Massillon vs. McKinley playoff game?
Old 06-28-18, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Yes, there has, but no more. I should have explained my reasoning for my comment. McKinley and Massillon are now in different divisions. The loser can still make the playoffs. Ignatius and Ed's are in the same division and a loss could mean not making the playoffs at worst or at its best a lower seeding. Hence for its playoff implications, Ignatius-Ed's is the more significant game.
Old 06-28-18, 01:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
1. Iggy vs Ed's ?
1. Not even close to those #ís, they might get 10K if they are lucky.
2. Just as long as mck has, way before you were born.
Old 06-28-18, 01:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
As far as playoff implications go, Ignatius-Ed's has surpassed the battle of Stark County.
Not true at all, the majority of the time both schools are either battling for a higher seed or having to win to get in.
Old 06-28-18, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Not true at all, the majority of the time both schools are either battling for a higher seed or having to win to get in.
True. He is probably not as familiar with those scenarios. In any case, to me, the biggest games are when we are both very good, highly ranked, and playoff locks. Not when one of us needs a win just to qualify. Still important but usually average teams and not serious contenders for a deep run. Seeds are overrated also imo. The years one or both were undefeated or 1 loss and had to play twice were as good as it gets.
Old 06-28-18, 01:56 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
Guys/Gals?...

The simple answer to the original question of...

Is Mck/ Mass Game Really Mean as Much As It Used to?

There is only one answer - NO!

Explanation:

For Years THE GAME meant everything in the world to Stark County/Ohio High School Football...

But now it is a really Competitive Game with One team in Division 2 that has NEVER won a Championship on the Field - EVER!

And the D1 team that might win their Federal League Championship - maybe!

The world has changed and the Landscape of Stark County Football has changed just like the way I Listen to games on my Phone now??

My Parents use to always blame it on "New Math" but as much as I hate to say it...

It is a really good game - that has diminished over the years - that's that!
Old 06-28-18, 02:10 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That's probably the only knock on Massillon-McKinley is that the Halloween weekend timing means a lot of people not paying attention outside of Ohio. Didn't Ohio used to go a lot later into November during the regular season in the pre-playoff days??
Not entirely sure on Ohio, but I know researching Pennsylvania games, it was quite regular that Thanksgiving was the last game of the regular season. And the season didn't usually start until the end of September (this was in the 30s-50s). Sometime around the 70s, it started moving earlier and earlier. And, of course, playoffs in both states made the beginning of September to start the season. And now, it's last week of August. And PA didn't start August play until just recently.

But, yeah, the season used to be solidly in the fall. No summer night, blistering hot games.

(edit) After checking the McKinley, Massillon, and Big Red sites. Yes, the 1955 McK-Mass game was played on November 19th.
Old 06-28-18, 02:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHADOW14 View Post

But now it is a really Competitive Game with One team in Division 2 that has NEVER won a Championship on the Field - EVER!
Or 24, but if you want to diminish what those players and coaches did during those times then by all means troll away.
Old 06-28-18, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

In that regard yes Shadow I understand obviously neither team is as good as they once were, and of course the pre-playoff era added to the importance of the week 10 meeting.

Where I will disagree is relative to today. To the players playing, fans of both communities, and statewide recognition, it remains among (if not the) best rivalries in Ohio and the country. I love you old guys though. NOTHING is as good as it used to be. Not hs football, not cars, not music, not women, not mom's apple pie. Lol.