Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-17-18, 09:19 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Just a simple reference of those who seek out the easy way.

In the world of selfies, self gratification and play dough rooms I guess I’m not shocked most can’t fathom the possibility of failing.

Tears for Hillary
I don’t see transferring to Hoban as taking the easy way, far from it. The easy way would be to stay with a mediocre program, and be a star. At Hoban, you will work your butt off and hope to earn a starting spot. It seems to me, a kid stands a lot more chance at failing, due to the high level competition at Hoban, than being the BMOC at KR. Kudos to the kid for wanting to better himself.
Old 06-17-18, 11:47 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
I don’t see transferring to Hoban as taking the easy way, far from it. The easy way would be to stay with a mediocre program, and be a star. At Hoban, you will work your butt off and hope to earn a starting spot. It seems to me, a kid stands a lot more chance at failing, due to the high level competition at Hoban, than being the BMOC at KR. Kudos to the kid for wanting to better himself.
Wrong, I do not see going to Hoban as being harder. Sure, succeeding in Hoban is indeed hard. But I believe it is even harder still for a prospective athlete to try to help build the program where he is at.

Now, obviously, that is not always a viable option. Factors exist beyond an athletes control. Like coaching, administration, school culture, etc. There really is only so much an athlete can do for his team in 4 years. He does need to consider himself. I cannot fault someone for wanting to leave a program like Field, or Norton, or heck, even Coventry 6 years ago. I would have done the same.

However, when Im talking about improving the local program where one is at, Im not talking about those programs. There is a lot that needs to happen at those places for staying to even be considered a good option for the talent there. That is not the athletes responsibility no. Im talking about programs like The Coventry team of the last couple years, Woodridge, Rootstown, Manchester, Tallmadge, Barberton, etc. sure, all of these programs could do with some work or another, but they do show some promise. It would just be very helpful for the talent to stay. But it would indeed be quite a bit of work...you are trying to not just better yourself, but better a community.
Old 06-18-18, 04:43 AM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I donít see transferring to Hoban as taking the easy way, far from it. The easy way would be to stay with a mediocre program, and be a star. At Hoban, you will work your butt off and hope to earn a starting spot. It seems to me, a kid stands a lot more chance at failing, due to the high level competition at Hoban, than being the BMOC at KR. Kudos to the kid for wanting to better himself.
Thatís cute and all, but I would be interested to hear the last star of another HS program that transferred to Hoban and didnít start.

The only reason I quoted you was your reference about who would want to play for a winning team; yes only the weak who canít fight through adversity. Well if you wanna play for my Tigers.
Old 06-18-18, 08:15 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I donít see transferring to Hoban as taking the easy way, far from it. The easy way would be to stay with a mediocre program, and be a star. At Hoban, you will work your butt off and hope to earn a starting spot. It seems to me, a kid stands a lot more chance at failing, due to the high level competition at Hoban, than being the BMOC at KR. Kudos to the kid for wanting to better himself.
That's pathetic logic!

I am 100% for parents pulling their kids out for going elsewhere because their school system is awful. I am 100% for kids transferring to other schools because coaches only care about their kids starting or are abusive...That can be dangerous and toxic fast!

If you send your kid to a HS just for looks and he doesn't make it at the next level or doesn't show up at the next level (what we call a bust), that's on the parent and the kids! I can tell you I have seen kids team hop to public and private schools because of sports programs and become nobody's in life or at the next level. If you have that mentality, it will bite you in the ! Some of Brian Kelly's ND football players can tell you that!

I have seen it way too many times! If you want to go to a school/school system for better academics (athletics as a bonus), that's a different story.
Old 06-18-18, 08:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
I remember Kent not that long ago being good and they also had a pretty strong youth program. Sure the Hoban kids would have helped. I donít like seeing a community team fall apart. I am kind of tired watching this guy stalk Hoban and Cougar to be specific and blaming them for the failure of a program. Hoban did not take the kids from Kent. The kids from Kent and Ravenna for that matter (both had an impact at Hoban) went looking for something better because the writing was on the wall and both programs proved them right.

Ravenna had an influx of talent that left Hoban and SVSM to come back and they still sucked. Bottom line is that they did nothing with the talent when they had it. It is a program problem. Thank you for backing me. I donít want to trash this Roughrider guy but enough is enough. Go be a part of the solution.
Would have helped? Ravenna was 6-4 last year. That's not too shabby!
Old 06-18-18, 08:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Coach will take what the defense gives him. If the load the box and go man he will give Hamm the option to check off and throw. Watch the WW game. Hoban will need to move the ball through the air to keep the defense honest. He has enough talent in the receiving corps to go up top or in the middle. I donít care how good the line and backs are you have to be able to pass.
Truth! You have to be balanced in the air and ground game!
Old 06-18-18, 01:20 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
A question was asked somewhere along the way if Hoban was still on probation. The answer is yes....through June of 2018. I would expect the OHSAA will make an announcement in the next couple of weeks as to whether Hoban's probation will be extended or if they will be taken off probation.
Old 06-18-18, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
A question was asked somewhere along the way if Hoban was still on probation. The answer is yes....through June of 2018. I would expect the OHSAA will make an announcement in the next couple of weeks as to whether Hoban's probation will be extended or if they will be taken off probation.
Double secret probation next. You can only hope.
Old 06-18-18, 02:15 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or it will just expire like itís supposed to. Good pot stirring effort but probably nothing to see here.
Old 06-18-18, 02:29 PM
Junior Varsity

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Anauunki language "Cool".....
Old 06-18-18, 04:08 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Or it will just expire like itís supposed to. Good pot stirring effort but probably nothing to see here.
Truly wasnít trying to to stir the pot...was just answering a previous question. If I was trying to stir the pot I would have added some commentary to my response.

I actually got a good chuckle out of Cougarís response.
Old 06-18-18, 07:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Truly wasnít trying to to stir the pot...was just answering a previous question. If I was trying to stir the pot I would have added some commentary to my response.

I actually got a good chuckle out of Cougarís response.
Fair enough. Truthfully I have no idea how the probation works. I know their summer practices were limited last year, I donít know if they have the same restrictions this year.
Old 06-19-18, 06:23 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
IDK that OHSAA is pretty tough and really crack down on those that bend the rules, lol. One of their more extreme punishments was when they gave a HC a one hour time out from being able to have any contact with his team, boy that coach never blatantly recruited kids to his school again. One coach moved a D-1 college kid across the state to live with him and play on his team, that poor soul couldn't be on the sideline for his first playoff game, I'm telling you that OHSAA is brutal.
Old 06-24-18, 09:51 AM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
As a side note to the larger topic of actual football, the Knights will be donning new, matte white helmets this season, in place of the traditional gold hats. They have the symbol of the Brothers of Holy Cross on one side, and the player # on the other. The helmets are beautiful, but being more of a traditionalist, I'm not sure how I feel about going away from the signature gold look, even if it just might be for one season to celebrate your Holy Cross tradition. I'm not get off my lawn guy or anything, and the kids will love it, so I guess that's all that matters. It'll just take some getting used to.
Old 06-24-18, 11:43 AM
Freshman

Football330 is on a distinguished road
Coach met with the team and explained to them this was to honor the 1965-69 teams who helped build the Hoban football tradition. Specifically the 1966 team which is one of the best in Hoban history. The Cross and Anchor on the side is to honor the Brothers of the Holy Cross. It will go back to Gold next season, according to what he told players.
According to what I have been told, this was idea of a few brothers inside the school.
Old 06-25-18, 11:31 AM
Varsity

duckdodgers is on a distinguished road
That will be interesting to see for sure. If anyone can get a preview pic on here please do. Maybe break those out in future years for the St. V game. Have St. V wear the matte black helmets. Those helmets look great.
Old 06-25-18, 11:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdodgers View Post
That will be interesting to see for sure. If anyone can get a preview pic on here please do. Maybe break those out in future years for the St. V game. Have St. V wear the matte black helmets. Those helmets look great.
There are no pics out there yet, coach didn't want the players putting them out on social media. I hear there's some sort of prep preview coming out that will show them. They have new white pants as well to go along with the new white jerseys from last year, and will sport all whites vs St V this year.
Old 06-25-18, 01:00 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
There are no pics out there yet, coach didn't want the players putting them out on social media. I hear there's some sort of prep preview coming out that will show them. They have new white pants as well to go along with the new white jerseys from last year, and will sport all whites vs St V this year.
I remember when St. V got their black uniforms and helmets a few years ago, they wanted to wear them in the state semifinal game, but were told they weren't allowed to because OHSAA rules said you had to wear your regular uniform for the Final Four. I don't know if that's still the rule, but the kids were disappointed.
Old 07-08-18, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Jonah Morris leaving Indiana to come home and play for the Zips-

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/un...eiver-for-zips
Old 07-08-18, 09:59 AM
All Region

Akron U is becoming quite the gathering place for not just Hoban football players, but local players in general.
Old 07-09-18, 03:34 PM
All Region

For anyone who might be interested, 7 on 7 at 10am Tuesday with Wadsworth and Copley, at Hoban. First scrimmage is Aug 10th vs TCC.
Old 07-10-18, 11:08 AM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
Any observations from the 7/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-18, 11:46 AM
Freshman

Cougarfan222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadz06 View Post
QB looks improved from last year. Receivers will be better than expected.

But, who knows for sure until the pads come on and hitting starts. Can't wait for camp to open up.
Old 07-10-18, 12:31 PM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
Which team are you talking about? Can you give your opinions of each??

I agree, 7/7 DBs get the most out it but wonít know for sure until 11/11 contact

Old 07-10-18, 12:47 PM
Junior Varsity

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hamm looked pretty good, I can tell he's been straightening his weakness from last year...The underclassmen looked good, the wide receivers and linebackers were impressive... I'm really looking forward to the Ignatius game...
Old 07-10-18, 01:18 PM
Freshman

Cougarfan222 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Which team are you talking about? Can you give your opinions of each??

I agree, 7/7 DBs get the most out it but wonít know for sure until 11/11 contact

Hoban
Old 07-10-18, 02:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan222 View Post
Hoban
Fake news. He wasnít there.
Old 07-11-18, 04:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Fake news. He wasnít there.
Ah you have a new fan. You must be doing a good on here getting people riled up reading your posts lol...well done!
Old 07-11-18, 07:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Ah you have a new fan. You must be doing a good on here getting people riled up reading your posts lol...well done!
Yea we all know who it is. Iíll take it as a compliment.
Old 07-11-18, 10:29 PM
All Region

After seeing the entire team this week I think Hoban will be very good and will be the most talented across the board of the past three teams. The O-line will average over 285. These kids that have been playing young the past couple of years are grown up and look kind of scary. I look forward to this year. The guy mimicking Cougar is a tool.