Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-15-18, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
You have been trolling Hoban people blaming them for your woes in Kent. Looking back, Roosevelt sucked when these kids were still at Kent. Was that Hobanís fault? Kent has been a laughing stock ever since your legendary coach left. These Hoban kids were still in middle school when the damage was done. Whoís fault was it then? Please enlighten me. How many kids are showing up to workouts in the morning? Yeah, it is the weight room.
Kent had some very good teams from 2006 to 2013, averaging 8 wins a year with four 9 win seasons and only one sub-.500 season. From 2014 to 2017, they've won an abominable 3, 4, 2 and 2 games. That's just plain a systemic program failure, not merely another school siphoning off talent. Would those kids help, sure, but how about taking action to fix some of the problems rather than whine about a school one county and 13 miles away?
Old 06-15-18, 07:13 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
I remember Kent not that long ago being good and they also had a pretty strong youth program. Sure the Hoban kids would have helped. I don’t like seeing a community team fall apart. I am kind of tired watching this guy stalk Hoban and Cougar to be specific and blaming them for the failure of a program. Hoban did not take the kids from Kent. The kids from Kent and Ravenna for that matter (both had an impact at Hoban) went looking for something better because the writing was on the wall and both programs proved them right.

Ravenna had an influx of talent that left Hoban and SVSM to come back and they still sucked. Bottom line is that they did nothing with the talent when they had it. It is a program problem. Thank you for backing me. I don’t want to trash this Roughrider guy but enough is enough. Go be a part of the solution.
Old 06-15-18, 08:47 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
I think the point is that playing at a school with a state caliber program will enhance the opportunities for exposure to colleges. Example would be Manchester and their current athletes being recruited. Smaller school with a Good program and a couple of exceptional athletes = recruitment. But I will also say that their are athletes at Hoban who would not have D1 offers playing at most public schools in this area. Because of the programís exposure right now and success these players are being seen and recruited by incoming college coaches and being offered.
You are somewhat correct. I think it goes both ways because of advancements in technology in social media.

(1) If you are a solid player, they will find you. It doesn't matter where you are from or who you play for. Social media, hudl.com, 247sports.com, and scouting Ohio will put you on the map very fast.

(2) Over the years, I have seen coaches come to games and scout a certain player and then all of the sudden grab interest in another player as well. Going to a top program can increase your exposure.

However, it can backfire.

(3) Consequently, I have seen players go to elite programs in the state and look good because they are surrounded by amazing talent. Once they don't touch the field in college football, you ask yourself what the heck happened. Even in camps they look awesome and disappear 2-3-4 years later. I have a feeling this could happen with Tate Martell.

I remember a story of a college football coach walking into Walsh Jesuit because of a player and suddenly grabbing interest in another D1 player.
Old 06-15-18, 09:08 PM
Varsity

ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
That’s the story with Brady Quinn and ND. ND had a commitment from Coffman’s SS and they were impressed with Quinn. Speaking of Kent, there is way too much playing favorites and mommy and daddy getting junior minutes at Kent which hurts the program, as well as a lot of other poor programs. It’s the #1 program killer.
Old 06-15-18, 09:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
You are somewhat correct. I think it goes both ways because of advancements in technology in social media.

(1) If you are a solid player, they will find you. It doesn't matter where you are from or who you play for. Social media, hudl.com, 247sports.com, and scouting Ohio will put you on the map very fast.

(2) Over the years, I have seen coaches come to games and scout a certain player and then all of the sudden grab interest in another player as well. Going to a top program can increase your exposure.

However, it can backfire.

(3) Consequently, I have seen players go to elite programs in the state and look good because they are surrounded by amazing talent. Once they don't touch the field in college football, you ask yourself what the heck happened. Even in camps they look awesome and disappear 2-3-4 years later. I have a feeling this could happen with Tate Martell.

I remember a story of a college football coach walking into Walsh Jesuit because of a player and suddenly grabbing interest in another D1 player.
People are giving social media, camps, rankings, etc. too much credit. None of the 247, Rivals, Scout, ESPN 300, opening, UA, or three stripe camps get a kid recruited. It does create some popularity but the bottom line is college coaches evaluate film. They have teams of people evaluating film. The benefit of going to a high profile program is the coaches know what type of competition you are playing against which means a lot more. People love the highlight film but coaches evaluate game film. They want to see how a big time kid plays against their peers. This doesn’t mean you can’t get noticed if you are somewhere else, of course you can. Big time kids get found out and hudl is the greatest tool for that. You have to be good at football. All the rankings and camps are byproducts of the recruiting process and they are all selling something and they have done a great job of making people believe they are the driving force behind recruiting but they are merely marketing people trying to sell shoes or articles.

Being good against IGGY on film carries a lot more weight than being a hero against a school like North or having a great day at Rivals camp.

Being able to adjust to the next level is another story. There is a 50% chance of failure (never seeing the field) day one. People put too much pressure on kids if they don’t make it. Most don’t.
Old 06-15-18, 09:48 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I remember Kent not that long ago being good and they also had a pretty strong youth program. Sure the Hoban kids would have helped. I donít like seeing a community team fall apart. I am kind of tired watching this guy stalk Hoban and Cougar to be specific and blaming them for the failure of a program. Hoban did not take the kids from Kent. The kids from Kent and Ravenna for that matter (both had an impact at Hoban) went looking for something better because the writing was on the wall and both programs proved them right.

Ravenna had an influx of talent that left Hoban and SVSM to come back and they still sucked. Bottom line is that they did nothing with the talent when they had it. It is a program problem. Thank you for backing me. I donít want to trash this Roughrider guy but enough is enough. Go be a part of the solution.
keep in mind Ravenna did also struggle with injuries. I think week 1, they did give Tallmadge a game.
Old 06-16-18, 12:59 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Buckeye- many good points, but I have to respectfully disagree that a kid has to play at a top school to be seen. The same technology you reference, coupled with the growth of the scouting process, brings top talent to the attention of schools regardless of where kids play (e.g. the Dowdy kid from Akron North). They have to play at top schools to face top competition, but they can play anywhere now and be seen.
Clark, I do agree with your point, if your good enough, someone will find you. With my TV package, I can watch Friday night ball from L.A., Phoenix, Denver, Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, at 1 time Ohio, and more. They donít show 1-9 teams. Itís generally 2 powerhouse teams. So kids on these teams are being seen nation wide. Let me put it to you this way, kids want to play for a winner, and who can fault them ? I certainly canít and wonít. If I was a top notch player, saw an oppurtunity, and liked the program, Iím transferring.
Old 06-16-18, 05:33 AM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Go ask Anthony Davis if his HS BBall record affected his college recruitment?

While at Miami, head coach Randy Shannon used these recruiting top 100 sites to pick his players, with lazy coaches like Shanny yes the recruiting combines have more of an impact than your high school program.

If I had to guess, little Johnny ain’t going to make it to the pros anyway....enjoy your teenage years. PS, your dad probably was a scrub on the field.
Old 06-16-18, 05:36 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Let me put it to you this way, kids want to play for a winner, and who can fault them ?.
Example of why we are in the snowflake era.

I bet you root for Lebron and Kevin Durant, pathetic
Old 06-16-18, 08:39 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Clark, I do agree with your point, if your good enough, someone will find you. With my TV package, I can watch Friday night ball from L.A., Phoenix, Denver, Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, at 1 time Ohio, and more. They donít show 1-9 teams. Itís generally 2 powerhouse teams. So kids on these teams are being seen nation wide. Let me put it to you this way, kids want to play for a winner, and who can fault them ? I certainly canít and wonít. If I was a top notch player, saw an oppurtunity, and liked the program, Iím transferring.
Fair enough Buckeye. I enjoy the thoughtful discussion, a rarity on here.
Old 06-16-18, 09:13 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Fair enough Buckeye. I enjoy the thoughtful discussion, a rarity on here.
Bro you whine a lot
Old 06-16-18, 09:14 AM
Varsity

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I remember Kent not that long ago being good and they also had a pretty strong youth program. Sure the Hoban kids would have helped. I donít like seeing a community team fall apart. I am kind of tired watching this guy stalk Hoban and Cougar to be specific and blaming them for the failure of a program.
Huh? When did I ever blame any players for the failure of the Kent program? Stop making things up to bash me. My main point is that Hoban forms an all-star team from the best talent in the area. They are therefore a great team. (And I bash Cougar when he starts pounding his chest like Hoban just assembled some neighborhood team and have achieved success through elbow grease alone. Do they work hard in their state-of-the-art weight room? Yes. Do they have good coaching? Yes. But replace the all-stars with mediocre kids and see where the program goes. Their success is primarily the result of assembling the most talented kids. It's like St V basketball.)

Furthermore, when all-star players leave their community program to go to Hoban (or St V or Walsh or CVCA), that community team is then not as good as it would have been. (I'm not sure how that is debatable.) With Hoban's success, that process has been accelarated. They have kids on JV or freshman team that would be getting varsity minutes at community programs.

People lament that the number of good teams in Summit County is 3 or 4 deep. Well, that is the natural result of the AAU, let's form an all-star team, mentality. This process is simply not good for competition within Summit County.

Quote:
I donít want to trash this Roughrider guy but enough is enough. Go be a part of the solution.
How do you know that I am not? I am actively working within the community trying to help. Are you?

And now y'all can carry on with your bashing of me.
Old 06-16-18, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Cant get any more trsnsfers lol.
Old 06-16-18, 11:37 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
Thatís the story with Brady Quinn and ND. ND had a commitment from Coffmanís SS and they were impressed with Quinn. Speaking of Kent, there is way too much playing favorites and mommy and daddy getting junior minutes at Kent which hurts the program, as well as a lot of other poor programs. Itís the #1 program killer.
Pfaff (the AD) does a good job over there. He wonít let that program tank.
Old 06-16-18, 12:33 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
The kid Hamm beat out last year really just wasn't that good, just being Honest... His IQ was weak and his arm just wasn't that strong..."just being Honest"....Great kid just not on the level of Hamm on the feild,Hamm is about 2 to 3 inches tall then Mick and has him by a few pounds...Both of them are great boys and really good QB... Either way the Knights will be in good hands
Will Mick stay at Hoban if he never gets to play quarterback? Looks/sounds like he will have to wait until his senior season. Iíve heard there has already been discussion with a QB in the Highland system (going into 7thngrade) about doing what Hoban did with Hamm. Start as a freshman and play QB all 4 years.

Based on the discussion it appears Mick will be on the field and contribute the next 3 years....just not as a QB. The question is will he be ok with that? Tyrell has proven he is not loyal to his seniors and will play the best kid at the position.
Old 06-16-18, 12:41 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He is the main reason for the tank. Puppet of the school admin.
Old 06-16-18, 01:08 PM
Varsity

Quote:
The program has already ranked.
Old 06-16-18, 01:11 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Tyrell has proven he is not loyal to his seniors and will play the best kid at the position.
As he should play the best players. That is a big way to begin the downward fall of a program is to play favorites. Plus it breads competition and competition in practices makes everyone better.
Old 06-16-18, 02:28 PM
Freshman

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
As he should play the best players. That is a big way to begin the downward fall of a program is to play favorites. Plus it breads competition and competition in practices makes everyone better.
If that's the case then Hoban should never have to throw the ball , because the competition at running back should be mind blowing in pratice.... With Tryanum who is probably the best all around athlete in Ohio, the senior
Dickerson who had a great season last year and the two sophomores in Campbell and Ollison that could have been starters on variety at any other school in Ohio...The underclassmen are studs both are over 210lbs and should give the two upper classmen competition at practice.... I've seen them all play and all four are really good backs..
Old 06-16-18, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
If that's the case then Hoban should never have to throw the ball , because the competition at running back should be mind blowing in pratice.... With Tryanum who is probably the best all around athlete in Ohio, the senior
Dickerson who had a great season last year and the two sophomores in Campbell and Ollison that could have been starters on variety at any other school in Ohio...The underclassmen are studs both are over 210lbs and should give the two upper classmen competition at practice.... I've seen them all play and all four are really good backs..
Tyrrell's tendency seems to be to not open the offense unless he has to. With those backs, he may not have to.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 06-16-18 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 06:40 PM
All Ohio

Coach will take what the defense gives him. If the load the box and go man he will give Hamm the option to check off and throw. Watch the WW game. Hoban will need to move the ball through the air to keep the defense honest. He has enough talent in the receiving corps to go up top or in the middle. I don’t care how good the line and backs are you have to be able to pass.
Old 06-16-18, 07:04 PM
Freshman

pstamps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

I hope this is sarcasm. Do you also call people weak for enjoying nice weather? Call people soft for buying groceries instead of farming?

It's also a shame you can't even think of original criticism and need to parrot whatever daddy Trump's new phrase on twitter.
Old 06-16-18, 07:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Bro you whine a lot
If you were my bro, I'd off my parents.
Old 06-16-18, 07:10 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I gave up on the NBA years ago. Whatís yer problem ?
Old 06-16-18, 10:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
Huh? When did I ever blame any players for the failure of the Kent program? Stop making things up to bash me. My main point is that Hoban forms an all-star team from the best talent in the area. They are therefore a great team. (And I bash Cougar when he starts pounding his chest like Hoban just assembled some neighborhood team and have achieved success through elbow grease alone. Do they work hard in their state-of-the-art weight room? Yes. Do they have good coaching? Yes. But replace the all-stars with mediocre kids and see where the program goes. Their success is primarily the result of assembling the most talented kids. It's like St V basketball.)

Furthermore, when all-star players leave their community program to go to Hoban (or St V or Walsh or CVCA), that community team is then not as good as it would have been. (I'm not sure how that is debatable.) With Hoban's success, that process has been accelarated. They have kids on JV or freshman team that would be getting varsity minutes at community programs.

People lament that the number of good teams in Summit County is 3 or 4 deep. Well, that is the natural result of the AAU, let's form an all-star team, mentality. This process is simply not good for competition within Summit County.

How do you know that I am not? I am actively working within the community trying to help. Are you?

And now y'all can carry on with your bashing of me.
I would rather not bash anyone. 5 years ago Kent was at the height of success with strong middle school classes on the way, at the same time Hoban was at rock bottom. Both schools changed coaches, changed weight rooms, and both schools changed their attitude towards attracting and retaining kids in the program. I am actively involved in supporting the Hoban football program and I would assume based on your written passion you are with Kent. Look at what changed and change it back. You kicked out a legendary coach and hired the Assistant Superintendentís college roommate over the guy that went to Copley who was already in the program and engaged with two out of three middle school classes that went undefeated. Who does that??? Kentís downfall rests on the shoulders of your AD and your schoolboard for letting this happen. Sorry, this is what all my firends in Kent tell me and the story is pretty consistent. If I am wrong let me know but I have been hearing this for quite a while.
Old 06-16-18, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

Bobby77 is dead on. That is exactly what happened. Nemic wanted to name the in house OC as head coach and the school admin wanted an open search. Which wasn’t so open. As Bobby stated they hired a buddy of the admin. Then they changed the weight room to a cross fit room. AD Pfaff and school officials take the blame on this one along with the influential families who wanted Nemic our so little Johhny get more playing time. That’s is why kids left district. It is also why many kids left the football team to play soccer or just hit the streets. Same thing going on with Basketball team and other sports. AD Pfaff is the common denominator.
Old 06-17-18, 01:00 AM
Freshman

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Wow.....The thing you learn on Yappi..... Now that the politics are out of the way can we talk Hoban football and the chance of winning a 4th straight state title....one more thing,Parents pay to send their kids to Hoban for the education and the football and sports are a bonus... As a parent I would like to see my kid compete amongst the best academically and athletically.... Life is about competition not Participation trophies... People keep saying Hoban is a All Star team, they're actually right...A team full of academic All Stars who happen to be good athletes.... You would think that adults from the local community would want to see their local kids go compete and excel in a good program.. It's about that kid's future, not a selfish High school football fan..
Old 06-17-18, 03:12 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
If you were my bro, I'd off my parents.
Pardon me, I misjudged your masculinity. Sorry honey
Old 06-17-18, 03:16 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
I gave up on the NBA years ago. Whatís yer problem ?
Just a simple reference of those who seek out the easy way.

In the world of selfies, self gratification and play dough rooms I guess Iím not shocked most canít fathom the possibility of failing.

Tears for Hillary
Old 06-17-18, 08:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Bobby77 is dead on. That is exactly what happened. Nemic wanted to name the in house OC as head coach and the school admin wanted an open search. Which wasnít so open. As Bobby stated they hired a buddy of the admin. Then they changed the weight room to a cross fit room. AD Pfaff and school officials take the blame on this one along with the influential families who wanted Nemic our so little Johhny get more playing time. Thatís is why kids left district. It is also why many kids left the football team to play soccer or just hit the streets. Same thing going on with Basketball team and other sports. AD Pfaff is the common denominator.
Nope, it's all because Hoban got some kids from Portage County.