Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Is the COF Academy real?
I'm with COF Academy, and we are real. 2 4.55%
Of course. They are the IMG of the north. 3 6.82%
All the OCC teams have dodged them. Even Pickerington Central Catholic 0 0%
They wrecked my L1 points 0 0%
They wrecked my L2 points 1 2.27%
Not until Joe Eitel says so 16 36.36%
If they don't have a bunch of Yappi trolls already, they can't be real. 5 11.36%
Who? 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-18, 08:46 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
COF Academy? Are they real?

If they're not, they've sure fooled some ADs. Relatively respectful people are associated with them and have updated their LinkedIn pages to say so. Neither Google nor the Franklin County Auditor nor the Department of Education nor the Secretary of State nor anybody has heard of them.

Are they for real?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-18, 09:22 PM
All Universe

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Where is this 60 acre campus? The address they have listed is an office building in downtown.
Old 06-08-18, 09:44 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
I spoke to a secondary source who knows about what’s happening with COF Academy.

They are, indeed, fielding a team. It is somewhat based off of the IMG model, and they have a handful of players coming into the team who will play at the next level.

It is most analogous to an Oak Hill (Mouth of Wilson, VA) type structure. For many, it’s a post-secondary/prep opportunity. It’s not a model that supplants an actual four year high school, per se (like, you most likely aren’t going to see kids defect from Coffman or Archbishop Pick North as freshman to go there

Wasn’t clued in on how the actual educational component will function; didn’t think to ask.

EDIT: Post on Bucknuts says they’re hosting Iggy at the Shoe on 9/14. Hmm...

EDIT #2: re-read the thread, realized that I wrote the bolded sentence poorly. It should’ve been written as “opportunity to play at the post-secondary level.”

Last edited by The Dock; 07-18-18 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 06:36 AM
All Universe

I don't think they can have 5th year players and count in the computer points
Old 06-09-18, 10:47 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I don't think they can have 5th year players and count in the computer points
Why even waste your time playing them? Your team risks injury from playing a bunch of mercenaries and you get no computer points.
Old 06-09-18, 11:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Why even waste your time playing them? Your team risks injury from playing a bunch of mercenaries and you get no computer points.
Your team risks injuries playing any team in general.
Old 06-09-18, 11:44 AM
All Universe

I am not sure about the computer points. Perhaps the teams on their schedule have been assured they will count.
Old 06-09-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I hope it does not count. They would likely be a D7 classification.
Old 06-09-18, 12:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
I am not sure about the computer points. Perhaps the teams on their schedule have been assured they will count.
It depends. I’m pretty sure club teams don’t count towards an OHSAA computer points. This team might be like Western Reserve Academy (they are everyone’s punching bag and will only play below average teams) where computer points still count but they aren’t an official OHSAA sponsored school.
Old 06-09-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post

EDIT: Post on Bucknuts says they’re hosting Iggy at the Shoe on 9/14. Hmm...
So, is this the Urban Meyer Academy?

The team I follow plays this team and I hate everything about that. It sucks when a team from Columbus area you have penciled in for week 2 calls and says they are not coming forcing you to find anyone to play.
Old 06-09-18, 05:15 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Never heard of them until reading this thread
But maxpreps has a full schedule.
All familiar names with ohio schools along with Iggy
Wayne
St eds
Lima
Dunbar

Ends the season against IMG
Old 06-09-18, 08:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Where is this 60 acre campus? The address they have listed is an office building in downtown.
My GoogleFu and inductive reasoning suggests that they will be at 2300 N Cassady near the Columbus airport just north of the CSG athletic campus at Columbus Christian Center. I think the ministry there has long had aspirations of taking things to the next level. It's just common sense that they will eventually consolidate with the Columbus Crusaders and Reigning Thunder club teams that share a common mission and vision. I'm guessing that they will rent stadiums. If they can get it going to the extent hoped for by the leaders involved, it has the potential to be a transformational experience for the kids much like a Catholic education. I think it's a great thing and I hope they can execute.
Old 06-09-18, 09:07 PM
All Universe

COF is associated with AMEC (African Methodist Episcopal Church) Is that connected to the church at that address?

Last edited by EagleFan; 06-09-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 09:17 PM
All American

It's a different location than KIPP. And KIPP is a charter school. The guys backing COF say it's not a charter school.
Old 06-09-18, 09:20 PM
All Universe

Strange goings ons. You'd expect a web presence for a new school. There is limited space for classes in that building I'd guess.
Old 06-09-18, 09:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
My GoogleFu and inductive reasoning suggests that they will be at 2300 N Cassady near the Columbus airport just north of the CSG athletic campus at Columbus Christian Center. I think the ministry there has long had aspirations of taking things to the next level. It's just common sense that they will eventually consolidate with the Columbus Crusaders and Reigning Thunder club teams that share a common mission and vision. I'm guessing that they will rent stadiums. If they can get it going to the extent hoped for by the leaders involved, it has the potential to be a transformational experience for the kids much like a Catholic education. I think it's a great thing and I hope they can execute.
It is the opinion of several in the Columbus sports scene that the ascent of COF will bleed Columbus City Schools of some top talent if it gets off the ground and sustains. But, this project was tried before. There was a “City Prep” that existed for one year, but then folded. Most notable athlete to play for the since defunct prep school was Jerome Hunter, as a freshman.

Regarding the club consolidations: my guess is the Crusaders will find themselves merging with Reigning Thunder. Tree of Life and Wellington, the two primary private school arteries for the Crusaders these days, with Worthington Christian having football now, have both explored adding football. Reigning Thunder may have had the aspiration to be the effective “IMG Lite” of Ohio, but they don’t appear to have the resources and will probably get closed out of that window for good, now, with COF’s existence.
Old 06-09-18, 11:00 PM
All Region

Do you guys think COF is another C.A.P.E attempt?
Old 06-09-18, 11:44 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
CAPE was a Cincy Public School that specialized in physical education. In order to go to the school you had to be within the CPS district. It appears COF will accept students from anywhere. And none of these recent schools have been successful in Ohio.

IMG was already well known for tennis and golf before they expanded to offer other programs. They'd already made an substantial amount of money and had a campus to work with before doing so. Most of the top Prep schools in basketball have been around for years and have a history of success which draws talent to their programs. The same can be said for most of the "private/prep" schools in football. IMGs been one of the only few that have really taken off recently. You could maybe add Bishop Gorman in Vegas but that's more due to the Lorenzo family and then all the celebrities that followed form there.
Old 06-10-18, 06:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
CAPE was a Cincy Public School that specialized in physical education. In order to go to the school you had to be within the CPS district. It appears COF will accept students from anywhere. And none of these recent schools have been successful in Ohio.

IMG was already well known for tennis and golf before they expanded to offer other programs. They'd already made an substantial amount of money and had a campus to work with before doing so. Most of the top Prep schools in basketball have been around for years and have a history of success which draws talent to their programs. The same can be said for most of the "private/prep" schools in football. IMGs been one of the only few that have really taken off recently. You could maybe add Bishop Gorman in Vegas but that's more due to the Lorenzo family and then all the celebrities that followed form there.
So this is another IMG attempt (from what you guys are saying)...why waste the time playing them? They will not be part of the OHSAA and might have little or
no value in computer points.

Oh boy! Let’s see how long this school lasts! This might blow up in their faces!
Old 06-10-18, 08:00 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Here is their posted schedule

8/17 7:00p
Football North (Mississauga, Ontario)
8/24 7:00p
@ North Allegheny (Wexford, PA)
8/31 7:00p
@ Wayne (Huber Heights, OH)
9/7 7:00p
@ Lima Senior (Lima, OH)
9/14 7:00p
St. Ignatius (Cleveland, OH)
9/22 1:00p
@ St. Edward (Lakewood, OH)
9/28 7:00p
@ Catholic Central (Novi, MI)
10/5 7:00p
@ Brother Rice (Bloomfield Hills, MI)
10/127:00p
Dunbar (Dayton, OH)
10/19 1:00p
Christian Brothers (St. Louis, MO)
10/26 7:00p
@ IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
Old 06-10-18, 11:10 AM
All American

hoophi55
Can the OHSAA announce whether they are real & viable or a sham ? To fool all 10 schools on that schedule , would be the greatest boondoggle in Ohio high school athletic history!!
Old 06-10-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
That is a great schedule. If this thing takes off, schools in Ohio, Michigan, PA, KY, WV, IN might start losing elite talent to this academy...much like IMG does now. And Urban would have to run a balancing act trying to keep a good relationship with Ohio's HS coaches, while also (likely) embracing what would be an ideal prep for top college FB players in his own backyard.
Old 06-10-18, 11:51 AM
Varsity

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
They aren’t an OHSAA school, but you can play non-member schools. Every school that has scheduled COF has been told by the OHSAA that there is NO GUARENTEE they will count for computer points. They have to have an official ODE enrollment before they can even be assigned an OHSAA division. While COF has promised they’ll be ODE sanctioned by the start of the school year, they aren’t yet. They’re putting the cart before the horse.
Old 06-10-18, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
IMG has been the only successful football model to date because they have the backing of a billion dollar sports marketing company. I don’t see this venture becoming an IMG, or even being around for more than a few years. I guess we shall see though.
Old 06-10-18, 11:56 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
IMG has been the only successful football model to date because they have the backing of a billion dollar sports marketing company. I don’t see this venture becoming an IMG, or even being around for more than a few years. I guess we shall see though.
I don't see it as real. Someone has perpetrated an awesome hoax.
Old 06-10-18, 12:17 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
It would be a long shot for this model to work. As stated, you have to have a LOT of money behind you to make this work. I'm not sure IMG is the best comparison. It sounds to me more like the Spire Institute model. I have no idea where Spire gets its financial backing, but they have first rate facilities and have put together some competitive teams in a number of sports (not football). They market themselves as an "international high school and post secondary institution"; which sounds a little like COF. But to try to pull this off in football, especially with the schedule COF has cobbled together, is going to be difficult, to say the least.
Old 06-10-18, 02:00 PM
Junior Varsity

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
Are they related to the "College of Faith" that has played some lower level college football teams and have the same questionable qualifications? I believe the college has campuses in NC and Arkansas.
Old 06-10-18, 02:45 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
My fear is this is the direction that we are heading in. There are more parents now looking for shortcuts for their kids athletic success than at any time in the past. I'm hoping that the better football schools will refuse to play them rather than giving them the stage that they will desperately need to establish themselves.
Old 06-10-18, 02:53 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
This is what Bucknuts has:

Christians of Faith Academy is a non-chartered, non-tax supported school founded by Jay Richardson and business partner Roy Williams, who acts as Athletic Director. COF Academy welcomes 800 new students to its 61-acre campus located in Columbus, Ohio for the 2018-2019 school year and boasts 19 athletic teams.

The football season kicks off 14 weeks from today on August 17 when Canadian powerhouse Clarkson Football North travels to Columbus to take on the Ironmen of COF Academy on their home turf. The Ironmen are coached by former Ohio Wesleyan University coaches Paul Williams and Ulysses Hall, and former Buckeye wide receiver Jeff Greene.

On Friday, September 14 the Ironmen will host 11-time state champions St. Ignatius Wildcats at the Shoe. Also on this year's schedule are Huber Heights Wayne (Aug. 31) and 3-time state champs St. Edward (Sept. 22). Their 11-game season wraps up on October 26 when the Ironmen travel to Florida to face IMG Academy.
Old 06-10-18, 02:54 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Another address they're showing on Sunbury Road is on the campus of Ohio Dominican. https://twitter.com/CofAcademy/statu...55369455210503