Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who Wins The Federal League 2018
Canton McKinley 28 41.79%
GlenOak 1 1.49%
Green 0 0%
Hoover 5 7.46%
Jackson 4 5.97%
Lake 2 2.99%
Perry 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-18, 09:36 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Who Wins The Federal League 2018

Canton McKinley
GlenOak
Green
Hoover
Jackson
Lake
Perry

Last edited by BIG ED; 07-07-18 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Delete
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-18, 11:46 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Pretty large turnover this season with all the teams. You could make the case for anybody.

Perry and McKinley are the "program" picks where you just expect them to be good, although this is far from certain.

GlenOak had a young team that wasn't as bad as their record indicated. The QB is gone, right?

Jackson and Hoover return lots of linemen but zero skill players. Seems like both will ride or die on defensive improvement unless they have some offensive fireworks in store (possible).

Lake had their RB playing QB last year and was pretty good at it, right? Can't quite remember. But do the Blue Streaks have anybody around him after a 1-9 campaign?

No idea about Green but they did have a good defense last year. They were like Hoover in that they hung around until the end of the season playoff-wise.

I'm gonna guess the pre-season contenders are Perry and McKinley (going out on a real big limb, I know), Jackson and GlenOak as being possible contenders, and Hoover/Green/Lake rounding out the bottom for now. But nothing would really shock me.
Old 07-07-18, 11:50 AM
All American

Years since last FLC for each team:

Jackson/Perry/McKinley - zero (current champions)
GlenOak - 3 (2015)
Hoover - 10 (2008)
Lake - 20 (1998)
Green - N/A (none, joined in 2015)
Old 07-07-18, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Pretty large turnover this season with all the teams. You could make the case for anybody.

Perry and McKinley are the "program" picks where you just expect them to be good, although this is far from certain.

GlenOak had a young team that wasn't as bad as their record indicated. The QB is gone, right?

Jackson and Hoover return lots of linemen but zero skill players. Seems like both will ride or die on defensive improvement unless they have some offensive fireworks in store (possible).

Lake had their RB playing QB last year and was pretty good at it, right? Can't quite remember. But do the Blue Streaks have anybody around him after a 1-9 campaign?

No idea about Green but they did have a good defense last year. They were like Hoover in that they hung around until the end of the season playoff-wise.

I'm gonna guess the pre-season contenders are Perry and McKinley (going out on a real big limb, I know), Jackson and GlenOak as being possible contenders, and Hoover/Green/Lake rounding out the bottom for now. But nothing would really shock me.
Ashby gives the Vikes a chance for offensive fireworks.
Old 07-07-18, 12:15 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Massillon
Old 07-07-18, 02:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Massillon
Always a trouble maker in the crowd.
Old 07-07-18, 03:16 PM
All Ohio

owencountykentucky is on a distinguished road
Always.
Old 07-07-18, 11:46 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Yep, always. Anyhow, i must pick Perry. They have some of the best coaches in NEO. Of course, Wake is at the top.
Old 07-08-18, 06:28 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Another horrific season by Lake and there has to be some serious consideration to making changes, maybe even leaving the Fed. Football in Lake was king forever, but under this coach its declined.
Old 07-08-18, 08:23 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Y2h, I agree. From what everyone has said Ashby is legit, he could be big time. It seems like the entire Hoover sophomore class is loaded in every sport. This years freshman class is very good as well. It sounds like the freshman pretty much crushed everyone in 8th grade. But I know that doesn't me they will do that as freshman.
I don't know if this is true but I did hear that there are only 18 or 20 sophs playing this year. Those seem like low numbers, but it could be wrong. Expect big things from the soph and freshman classes at Hoover. Two classes like this should turn the boys sports programs around.
Good luck to eveyone.
Old 07-08-18, 01:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Another horrific season by Lake and there has to be some serious consideration to making changes, maybe even leaving the Fed. Football in Lake was king forever, but under this coach its declined.
DeGeorge's record against Fed teams:

Jackson 0-5
Perry 3-2
Hoover 4-1
GlenOak 1-4
McKinley 1-4
Green 1-2 (1-1 before joining the Fed)
Boardman 1-0

Overall: 11-18 (0.379)

Lake has 4 Federal League wins in the last three seasons. They do on the other hand also have 2 playoff apperances. At the outset of DeGeorge's tenure the losses were all tight and you could make an argument Lake was punching way above their weight, but the past two years blowouts have become common. He doesn't have the worst record as a coach in the league (Baum is sitting at .278 and Wallace at .167) but the trajectory appears to be downward. I'm liable to agree that they're at a turning point one way or another if they have another awful year. 1-9 was actually their worst mark in school history and probably isn't sitting well in Uniontown given their history of success.
Old 07-08-18, 02:40 PM
All World

Quote:

Jackson 0-5
Perry 3-2
Hoover 4-1
GlenOak 1-4
McKinley 1-4
Boardman 1-0

Overall: 11-18 (0.379)

Lake has 4 Federal League wins in the last three seasons. They do on the other hand also have 2 playoff apperances. At the outset of DeGeorge's tenure the losses were all tight and you could make an argument Lake was punching way above their weight, but the past two years blowouts have become common. He doesn't have the worst record as a coach in the league (Baum is sitting at .278 and Wallace at .167) but the trajectory appears to be downward. I'm liable to agree that they're at a turning point one way or another if they have another awful year. 1-9 was actually their worst mark in school history and probably isn't sitting well in Uniontown given their history of success.
Perry’s last 5 games against Lake have the Panthers winning 3 of the 5 not 2. The last 6 is 3 a piece.
Old 07-08-18, 04:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Perry’s last 5 games against Lake have the Panthers winning 3 of the 5 not 2. The last 6 is 3 a piece.
My mistake -- forgot about the playoff game!

DeGeorge is 3-3 vs. Perry, 11-19 in the Fed, for a winning percentage of .367.

The other Fed coaches overall since I've already done three:

Reardon .722
Budd .667
Wakefield .633 (second tenure only)
Garcia .616
Old 07-08-18, 09:34 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Jackson 0-5
Perry 3-2
Hoover 4-1
GlenOak 1-4
McKinley 1-4
Boardman 1-0

I'm liable to agree that they're at a turning point one way or another if they have another awful year. 1-9 was actually their worst mark in school history and probably isn't sitting well in Uniontown given their history of success.
BSO and his ilk claim all is well and the coach has the full support of the community. Meanwhile parents in the district have the opposite opinion of the coach's efficacy and credibility.
Old 07-08-18, 10:30 PM
All World

Much respect for the Lake program, no matter their troubles lately. It happens to most schools at one time or another. You don’t have to look far to see Perry’s from 2003-2013, with the exception of three years; 06, 07 and 2010. The worst 10 year period in the history of the program. Only 48 -62, while from 1957-1967 it was 50-53-5 (there were two seasons in 57 and 58 where they only had 9 game schedules).

Last edited by BIG ED; 07-08-18 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 09:02 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Lake knows who they are and what the Fed is

They do not look to leave the league that has short drives and big gates. Currently sits about 50 boys above the D2/3 cutoff. IF and its a big IF we would see Lake ever dip to D3 then there may be cause to worry, until then they slug it out

D2 Perry has to be the favorite going in - doesn't sound like anyone is clamoring their squad is going to have a year due to what they return. Who know, could be Lake's year?
Old 07-09-18, 10:35 AM
All World

I think Perry has lots of “potential”, but when has potential ever won you squat? They have to shore their offensive and defensive lines. I’ll give you my assessment after their scrimmages.
Old 07-11-18, 08:07 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Does anyone have a list of who everyone has in a scrimmage?
I think Hoover has Alliance and Ashland again. I think Ashland is OK, but I would like to see someone a little better then Alliance.
I ways liked it when Hoover scrimmaged Mentor. Mentor was fun to watch. I wonder if Mentor or Hoover ended the scrimmage series? Good Luck everyone.
Old 07-11-18, 08:10 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
Jackson scrimmages Mentor and Walsh.
Old 07-11-18, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Years since last FLC for each team:

Jackson/Perry/McKinley - zero (current champions)
GlenOak - 3 (2015)
Hoover - 10 (2008)
Lake - 20 (1998)
Green - N/A (none, joined in 2015)
3-way tie last year? Did not realize that. Might it be nice to come up with a tiebreaker perhaps? Or not. Nothing horrible about 3 league champs in a 7 team league - just musing.

I have McKinley by a whisker (@home vs. Perry this year).
Old 07-12-18, 04:59 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Lake knows who they are and what the Fed is

They do not look to leave the league that has short drives and big gates. Currently sits about 50 boys above the D2/3 cutoff. IF and its a big IF we would see Lake ever dip to D3 then there may be cause to worry, until then they slug it out

D2 Perry has to be the favorite going in - doesn't sound like anyone is clamoring their squad is going to have a year due to what they return. Who know, could be Lake's year?
Hit the nail head on. Lake won't dip to D3. Blue streaks will be in the fed for a some time. Mark my word. People like to bring this up every summer because I think they get bored and have too much time on their hands.
Old 07-12-18, 05:00 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Along with the new high school, Lake also has installed a new turf field this summer. Both look amazing so far!
Old 07-16-18, 01:25 PM
All Region

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post

I have McKinley by a whisker (@home vs. Perry this year).
I would too, but Glenoak will have a say. They and Perry have been bogey teams for the Dawgs lately, and i wouldn't count them out.
Old 07-18-18, 12:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Hit the nail head on. Lake won't dip to D3. Blue streaks will be in the fed for a some time. Mark my word. People like to bring this up every summer because I think they get bored and have too much time on their hands.
For what it's worth, Lake Township was the only subdivision in Stark County to see an appreciable increase in population last year. The best land for new houses is there and Jackson/NC/Plain are really overbuilt and congested. Would be cool to see Lake as a bigger D2 again.
Old 07-18-18, 08:39 PM
Freshman

Remark1 is on a distinguished road
Perry wins the league. Best coaching with tough players. Lake will rebound. Ashby is a stud and will be hard to stop for 3 years. Might be some legit DI talent around the league in the Sophomore classes. It will be fun to watch...
Old 07-25-18, 12:00 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For what it's worth, Lake Township was the only subdivision in Stark County to see an appreciable increase in population last year. The best land for new houses is there and Jackson/NC/Plain are really overbuilt and congested. Would be cool to see Lake as a bigger D2 again.
I did not see any appreciable increase for Lake Township on the last US Census estimates for unincorporated areas. Maybe I missed it, but I would be interested in seeing it if you could provide a link. The ODE district enrollment numbers don't look good for Stark County, but most of NE and NW Ohio school districts are in the same boat.

As far as Stark County, the lowest 4 grades (K-3) compared to the highest 4 grades (9-12) shows 2,001 fewer students in K-3 in Stark County compared to 9-12. As districts in Stark County go the numbers are as follows:

Alliance: Minus 133 (14% decrease)

McKinley: Plus 230 (9% increase)

Hoover: Minus 482 (30% decrease)

Canton South: Minus 345 (42% decrease)

Fairless: Plus 15 (3% increase)

Jackson: Minus 298 (15% decrease)

Lake: Minus 211 (18% decrease)

Louisville: Minus 37 (4% decrease)

Marlington: Minus 187 (24% decrease)

Minerva: Plus 29 (6% increase)

Northwest: Minus 88 (15% decrease)

East Canton: Minus 38 (14% decrease)

Perry: Minus 192 (12% decrease)

GlenOak: Minus 225 (11% decrease)

Sandy Valley: Minus 50 (12% decrease)

Tuslaw: Plus 18 (4% increase)

People just are not having children and coupled with a declining or at best stagnant Stark County population (net negative migration) these numbers will probably, for the most part, hold if not decrease further by the time the K-3 students are in grades 9-12.
Old 07-25-18, 06:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
People just are not having children and coupled with a declining or at best stagnant Stark County population (net negative migration) these numbers will probably, for the most part, hold if not decrease further by the time the K-3 students are in grades 9-12.
Thanks for the list. I went back and looked at the enrollment figures from the middle of the last decade, and the suburban disparities between K-3 and 9-12 aren't abnormal. You get a lot of attrition from private schools and migration from other districts the older the kids get. Canton City always has more in the younger grades because their graduation rate is only around ~75%.

K-3 to K-3 is a different story though. For example, Jackson had 1634 in K-3 in 2004/05, 1596 in 2010/11, and 1663 in 2017/18. The trend is flat/slightly growing. Perry had 1298, 1342, and 1364, respectively, so they're doing even a bit better.

It's very obvious North Canton City and Canton Local are losing a ton of enrollment, however. NCCS went from 1342 to 1214 to 1111. Canton South from 663 to 564 to just 470.

If you're really bored and have no life like me, you could go back and check the ratio of K-3 to 9-12 to see if there are any changes historically, but just at a quick glance, it looks pretty much the same.

I may have been wrong on the Lake thing, as I can't find a link for anything. Enrollment wise in K-3, it has been a mild decline over the past 15 years but not as steep as North Canton or Canton Local.
Old 07-25-18, 09:02 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
I think Hoover has Alliance and Ashland again. I think Ashland is OK, but I would like to see someone a little better then Alliance.
I ways liked it when Hoover scrimmaged Mentor. Mentor was fun to watch. I wonder if Mentor or Hoover ended the scrimmage series? Good Luck everyone.
Lake scrimmages North Ridgeville and Stow...have both at home
Old 07-25-18, 09:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Wrestling245 correct information as always...hope your summer has been going good!
Old 07-25-18, 09:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Much respect for the Lake program, no matter their troubles lately. It happens to most schools at one time or another. You don’t have to look far to see Perry’s from 2003-2013, with the exception of three years; 06, 07 and 2010. The worst 10 year period in the history of the program. Only 48 -62, while from 1957-1967 it was 50-53-5 (there were two seasons in 57 and 58 where they only had 9 game schedules).
Hello Big Ed...how have you been!