Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-11-18, 09:56 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Every school is different. Maybe the job has to be posted for everybody to apply even if they hire from within. I'm sure they will get a lot of applicants - especially if the job comes with free or discounted tuition for you child. The job is unique. It would be a really good job if Gilmour was say D4. It is just going to be tough for that program to win in D2. D2 is brutal in NE Ohio. The facility is top notch as is the AD. I think everybody is expected O'Toole but I'm sure we will all find out either way pretty soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 05-18-18, 06:27 AM
All District

StowInTheKnow is on a distinguished road
The job is filled. Announcement next week
Old 05-18-18, 07:01 AM
All World

Any idea who got it ?
Old 05-18-18, 08:50 AM
All District

Not O’Toole
Old 05-18-18, 09:12 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StowInTheKnow View Post
Not O’Toole
Who is it? With all due respect, this isn't the Kentucky or North Carolina job being filled. If you know, just say it......
Old 05-18-18, 10:37 AM
All District

I’m working on that. These things take time. ������. As soon as I find out the name i will pass along
Old 05-18-18, 12:03 PM
Junior Varsity

FlannMann87 is on a distinguished road
O'toole flirted pretty hard with Strongsville. I believe his itch to coach is real. The new coach would still have to look over his shoulder for a couple of years, but I would guess O'toole will move on if he is not the coach.
Old 05-18-18, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Kirk Culler? Was asst at Gilmour last year. Was Otoole's asst at Iggy. Former head coach at Nordonia, Lakewood and EL North.
Old 05-18-18, 05:23 PM
All District

Not culler for sure
Old 05-19-18, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlannMann87 View Post
O'toole flirted pretty hard with Strongsville. I believe his itch to coach is real. The new coach would still have to look over his shoulder for a couple of years, but I would guess O'toole will move on if he is not the coach.

If O’Toole moves on because he is not the coach it would be a surprise.

He took the job thinking the previous coach would be there another decade.
He kids are students at GA.
He has a good AD job.

You never know though.
People do what they want.

Culler would be a stunner if named head coach.
Just don’t see it although Sean is the AD.

There are definitely two camps....
Those that want a coach from outside the program and those that want from inside.

We will know in a few days is the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-18, 02:29 PM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Tense times for MugnMaul and Bball216 right now if they caught the deleted post from StowInTheKnow this morning. Either way you slice this it is a win for the BrushArc. The Arc has told you that Babe has threatened to leave on numerous occasions and you refuted it saying he is more loyal than any of the Band of Brothers he has run out of VASJ. The Arc has also told you that Babe has threatened the administration in a psychotic attempt to leverage praise and adulation and you have denied these claims while simultaneously levying blame on the former athletic director and others. Either way, your gullibility will finally become 100% transparent. Let’s enjoy this episode....
Old 05-22-18, 03:24 PM
All District

You got me Brush. Thought it was a lock info but not so sure that BJK is taking the job. Time will tell.
Old 05-22-18, 04:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by StowInTheKnow View Post
You got me Brush. Thought it was a lock info but not so sure that BJK is taking the job. Time will tell.
It’s ok. We’ve been here before. Whether it be University School, John Carroll, or even The Ohio State Buckeyes with this guy. It’s a wicked game we play. Entertain another job, tell the VASJ administration about it to solicit some kind of response, VASJ administration hopes he leaves, rinse and repeat.
Old 05-22-18, 04:35 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Tense times for MugnMaul and Bball216 right now if they caught the deleted post from StowInTheKnow this morning. Either way you slice this it is a win for the BrushArc. The Arc has told you that Babe has threatened to leave on numerous occasions and you refuted it saying he is more loyal than any of the Band of Brothers he has run out of VASJ. The Arc has also told you that Babe has threatened the administration in a psychotic attempt to leverage praise and adulation and you have denied these claims while simultaneously levying blame on the former athletic director and others. Either way, your gullibility will finally become 100% transparent. Let’s enjoy this episode....
Not tense, only happiness in knowing you and your band of losers are gone. I see you still haven't gotten help yet for your BDS and drinking issues, sad.
Old 05-22-18, 05:03 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Not tense, only happiness in knowing you and your band of losers are gone. I see you still haven't gotten help yet for your BDS and drinking issues, sad.
Well, have your secretary put down a massage for your schedule for next week because I got a feeling if this guy gets his bluff called the Band of Brothers could be back tenfold. Those big old shoulders that carry nothing but the burden of Babe’s decisions will be forced to deal with a bevy of elated young alumni.
Old 05-22-18, 07:27 PM
All District

Heard they already called TJ in case
Old 05-22-18, 07:34 PM
Freshman

conspiritor is on a distinguished road
This is a rather amusing chat. Do you guys do this all of the time?
Old 05-22-18, 08:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
It’s ok. We’ve been here before. Whether it be University School, John Carroll, or even The Ohio State Buckeyes with this guy. It’s a wicked game we play. Entertain another job, tell the VASJ administration about it to solicit some kind of response, VASJ administration hopes he leaves, rinse and repeat.
Kinda what I said a while back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
If Babe Kwas is "interested" in this job, it is only for one or two reasons. 1) To use for some kind of leverage at VASJ, or 2) He wants to impress people.... "look, GA wants me." In either case, he's not taking the Gilmour Academy job.
Old 05-22-18, 08:55 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Kinda what I said a while back....
Has MugnMaul diagnosed you with BDS yet?

Anyhow, you were “spot on” in your assessment back then it seems.
Old 05-23-18, 10:24 AM
All World

Why wouldn't Gilmour go after or reach out to one of the most successful coaches in Ohio. I'm sure they reached out to several. Gilmour is a unique job. No matter how well you do there it will NEVER be Joe's, Ed's,SVSM, etc. Like I said in a previous post elite programs play for state championships and Gilmour usually plays to beat University and Hawken. Being in D2 it will always be tough to win there and get the kids needed to win to attend. I'm not worried. No matter who Gilmour hires the sun will rise in the AM. The previous coach did very well and they had some very good squads - but could never seem to get to regionals or beyond. This years team was loaded by Gilmour standards and did not make it out of districts or regionals - can't remember which on the fly. IMO it would be trying to stick a square peg into a round hole attempting to make Gilmour a basketball powerhouse. If a coach is cool with playing around .500 (joining NCL) and going a round or so in the playoffs - its probably a good gig. O'Toole however if he is not the coach will expect more. He is a highly respected coach and will have input and consistent presence around the program. Not every coach could work knowing you have somebody looking over your shoulder every minute your coaching. I'm excited to see who gets the job. I also hope Babe stays at Joe's. He along with his program have done great things for the school - regardless of how some feel about him. That basketball program is as much responsible for the rebirth of the school as anything. I highly doubt Mr.Daily donates to refurbish the gym had the program not had the success it was having. Everyone benefits from the remodeled gym - not just boys basketball. I hope Babe stays for a long time and outlasts any of his haters. This would be a classic case of you dont know what you have till it's gone and I hope we at VASJ dont have to experience that for years to come.

Old 05-23-18, 11:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Why wouldn't Gilmour go after or reach out to one of the most successful coaches in Ohio.
You answered you own question with everything in your post that followed this question.
Old 05-23-18, 10:49 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Well, have your secretary put down a massage for your schedule for next week because I got a feeling if this guy gets his bluff called the Band of Brothers could be back tenfold. Those big old shoulders that carry nothing but the burden of Babe’s decisions will be forced to deal with a bevy of elated young alumni.
A legend in your own mind. Your band of 4 didn't do anything to help the school when you were friends of Babes and riding his coat tails, what makes anyone believe you would add any value now?? Your reps are so damaged, try not to hold your breath too long waiting for anyone to care about anything you do.
Old 05-24-18, 05:10 AM
All World

Mug - don't waste your breath. All you have to do is use your eyes. When these guys left - nothing changed, in fact some things got better. That shows exactly how valuable or in this case invaluable they really were.
Old 05-24-18, 11:57 AM
All District

Quote:
Mug - don't waste your breath. All you have to do is use your eyes. When these guys left - nothing changed, in fact some things got better. That shows exactly how valuable or in this case invaluable they really were.
Is there a scheduled press conference for Babe to announce that after talking with 25 people and feeling the love he has decided to remain at VASJ? Or will he just put out a bunch of tweets aimed at making the public think he was actually offered the job and has turned it down to remain loyally at his alma mater?
Old 05-24-18, 04:44 PM
Freshman

Zipper86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is there a scheduled press conference for Babe to announce that after talking with 25 people and feeling the love he has decided to remain at VASJ? Or will he just put out a bunch of tweets aimed at making the public think he was actually offered the job and has turned it down to remain loyally at his alma mater?
2nd one... Don't forget Instagram as well
Old 05-24-18, 07:53 PM
All World

Loyal - dont use words you dont understand. It would be awesome if everybody was LOYAL to their alma mater.

Old 05-24-18, 08:28 PM
All Ohio

Just not sure how serious a school is about basketball if you're a week away from the two-month team / 10-day coaching period and you don't have a head coach.
Old 05-25-18, 06:47 AM
All World

It's not a basketball school. Gilmour is great at hockey, girls sports, golf, etc - boys football and basketball not so much. I have been to several games there over the last few years and Gilmour has been very good - and they get zero fan or student support. The visitors always out number the home fans. I'm sure this is hard for O'Toole as well because he was used to large fan bases at Euclid and Iggy. While you have great facilities at Gilmour it's a tough job. You just dont get the horses you need to be next level successful like top flight coaches are used to. That is why the former coach was the perfect fit. He played there and Gilmour is in his fiber. He knew what kind of players he had and did a really good job taking them as far as he did. I'm not sure you can come in and coach these kids like you would coach the kids at Ed's, Mentor, Joe's, etc. Look at what happened to O'Toole at Iggy. He coached the Wildcats like he coached at Euclid and the parents got him removed. Should be a interesting hire.

Old 05-25-18, 08:07 AM
All District

Quote:
It's not a basketball school. Gilmour is great at hockey, girls sports, golf, etc - boys football and basketball not so much. I have been to several games there over the last few years and Gilmour has been very good - and they get zero fan or student support. The visitors always out number the home fans. I'm sure this is hard for O'Toole as well because he was used to large fan bases at Euclid and Iggy. While you have great facilities at Gilmour it's a tough job. You just dont get the horses you need to be next level successful like top flight coaches are used to. That is why the former coach was the perfect fit. He played there and Gilmour is in his fiber. He knew what kind of players he had and did a really good job taking them as far as he did. I'm not sure you can come in and coach these kids like you would coach the kids at Ed's, Mentor, Joe's, etc. Look at what happened to O'Toole at Iggy. He coached the Wildcats like he coached at Euclid and the parents got him removed. Should be a interesting hire.

Why did the head coach at VASJ want the job so badly then? What does that say about the situation at VASJ? If you say the situation at VASJ is fine, then what does that say about the coach at VASJ himself?

These are all questions I've been wrestling with in my mind as we discussed this topic over a bagel and lox at Jack's Deli this morning. The only answers that I can come up with is that the head coach at VASJ never really wanted to leave and Gilmour never really wanted the head coach at VASJ. It was all a farce of epic proportions. Subterfuge at it's finest. My source at Gilmour tells me that not only was Babe never offered the Gilmour job they were closer to making a run at his brother for the gig then Babe himself. Now I don't know if that is true or not, but I do know that my source has a good sense of the power brokers over at Gilmour. The only benefit to Babe leaving VASJ for Gilmour is that perhaps he could gain employment in the school at Gilmour which he has been unable to retain at VASJ. Beyond that, it only makes sense as a facade to gain support at VASJ from those under the administration that allow him to gain public support while simultaneously balancing no support from the administration at VASJ. It is an act that even the most accomplished tightrope walker would marvel at.
Old 05-25-18, 11:51 AM
All World

The only person who I have heard mention Babe at Gilmour is Arc. That IMO is not reliable source based on his obsession with making Babe look bad at ever opportunity. Until Babe tells me face to face or I hear it from what I consider a reliable source - it's not even a story. I love how some schools publish coaches who are considering to move somewhere else - while they are still employed. Where is professional courtesy ? If (hypothetical) Babe was to want as you put it the Gilmour job it would be one of three reasons. A challenge, the administration at Joe's or if the job included free education for his kids. I do feel that the current administration does not fully understand what sports in general but especially basketball means to that school. Very proud and tradition rich history that their alumni take much pride in. The new AD has come in and at first was seeming to be OK - but the horror stories we heard about him while at Euclid are becoming a reality at Joe's as well. I hope he did not purchase business cards. That being said Gilmour takes a special person. As great a coach TJ and Babe are - they would have a hard time topping what the outgoing coach already achieved. It's just not a hoops school. You cannot make it what it's not. If you go after a bunch of stud players and bring them in under special financial arrangement the powers that be and paying parents would lose their minds. Can't do it. That is what it would take to get the (athletes) needed to win. Just say by the grace of God you did get those players. There is no saying they will fit in or be able to hang with the stringent acedemic requirements. So what does that leave you ? A 6'6 kid once every few years and a bunch of Cody and Kyles. You can be solid and play great team basketball but eventually you will run into Benny, CCC, Joe's, Lake, Holy Name who do the same - but with a roster of studs. Jimmy and Joe's will win over X's and O's in most cases - even against the best coaching. Gilmour will be a tough job to fill unless a coach is going there for reasons other than building a powerhouse. Job, pay or free education for kids seem to be the only reason for an elite coach to leave a top program and be a Lancer. It's will be a huge piece of humble pie when you coach there and the girls team pulls 3x the crowd as the guys or your asked to go to the auxiliary gym because the girls have practice. Lol. Maybe when your walking the sidelines in a 55-54 offensive shootout against University for Rt91 bragging rights it kicks in - what am I doing here. Who knows. I just know any top flight coach who is used to coaching college level players at an elite program will really struggle when faced with the reality of Gilomour roster. When you have to remove all your alley oop plays because nobody can dunk and replace them with some version of the Doc Euclid 4 corner stall - reality will set in. Unless your there for different reasons and your cool with what you have accomplished in the past. Like I said. It will be interesting to see who takes the job and more importantly why.