Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-17, 10:06 AM
BaconMan 45 BaconMan 45 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-13-15
Posts: 50
BaconMan 45 is on a distinguished road
NBC 2017, The Last Hurrah

Last year of the NBC.

Politics aside, let's keep this about the kids and teams.

For Carrollton, they bring in Phil Mauro as head coach after Eric McCort resigns to spend time with his family. I've seen Mauros record but i'm still not to sure on his offense and defensive philosophy. If someone can help me out on that it would be appreciated.

Looking on the schedule the Warriors have two scrimmages with John Glenn, a traditional Wing-T team and Indian Creek, which runs the spread.

Non-Conference games include
Home with St. Clairsville, could be a big task for the Warriors depending on what the Red Devils return
Away at Coventry, 5-5 team last year with a common opponent in South
Away at Cambridge, traditionally a run first, downhill team. Always plays tough.

The League may come down to Louisville and Marlington, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a few teams with a .500 or better record.

Predictions.
Louisville
Marlington
West Branch
Carrollton
Alliance
Salem
South
Minerva
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-15-17, 11:06 AM
jackson03 jackson03 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Posts: 1,377
jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconMan 45 View Post
For Carrollton, they bring in Phil Mauro as head coach after Eric McCort resigns to spend time with his family. I've seen Mauros record but i'm still not to sure on his offense and defensive philosophy. If someone can help me out on that it would be appreciated.
When Mauro was at Jackson it was an option, run first (and second, and third), clock control setup. I don't recall exactly how the defenses were setup exactly but they were good even in down years.

He is a good coach, but didn't get his contract renewed at Jackson or at Canal Winchester. At Jackson they felt their ceiling was higher than he was able to achieve (and then moronically instituted pay-to-play for a couple years), at Canal Winchester he was very successful in his first stint but quite bad in the second when they switched leagues.

I don't expect him to start beating Louisville or Marlington but I'm interested to see how he fares against the rest of the league.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-17, 11:54 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,275
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
The evil Professor Mauroarty at a new school? Don't touch that dial!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-17, 02:23 AM
Stack Attack Stack Attack is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-12-14
Location: Canal Fulton Ohio
Posts: 479
Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
I'll say Louisville, Marlington, Alliance, Salem will be the top 4. In no particular order
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-17, 12:10 PM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 2,610
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack Attack View Post
I'll say Louisville, Marlington, Alliance, Salem will be the top 4. In no particular order
That's about right.
Who's got the most back from those top four?
Perhaps Carrollton in the mix.

Any Quaker fans out there that know what Salem has returning?

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-17, 01:14 PM
The Butler's Avatar
The Butler The Butler is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-02-02
Location: Perry Twp., Stark Co.
Posts: 8,324
The Butler is on a distinguished road
Ran across this on the twitter machine.

Aviator Football‏ @AviatorFootbal1 Jul 15

AVIATOR 7 on 7 Schedule:

Mon 7/17- @ Jackson 10 AM

Wed 7/19- @ Northwest 5 PM

Thurs 7/20- @ Massillon 6 PM
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-17, 03:36 PM
Stack Attack Stack Attack is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-12-14
Location: Canal Fulton Ohio
Posts: 479
Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
That's about right.
Who's got the most back from those top four?
Perhaps Carrollton in the mix.

Any Quaker fans out there that know what Salem has returning?

I'm gunna go with Alliance. They only graduated a few seniors..I saw the St Thomas Game on TV last year and they seemed very Junior Heavy according to their starting lineups. Plus they return Duce Johnson, probably the best returning RB in stark county. When was Alliance's last Playoff Appearance? I'd assume there are playoff expectations in carnation city this fall.

I know nothing about the Salem Quakers except they are coached by Ron Johnson and for that they will always be competitive. The same goes for Marlington and Louisville. I know Louisville will want to go out with a bang seeing it's there last year in the league
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-17, 08:21 PM
peebles peebles is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 481
peebles is on a distinguished road
Salem returns QB Mitch Davidson who threw for over 2500 yds last year. They return three experienced receivers along with three of five starters from the offensive line. They lose one of the top receivers in the area last year in Jake Humeniuk, and top playmaker and running back Cooper Bezeredi who was also a force on defense for the last two years. They also lose a lot of experienced starters on defense. They have a limited number of carries by their returning running backs. The defensive line will be inexperienced. Considering the facts that the defense was suspect at times last year with an experienced squad, and they have lost their two top playmakers from the past two years, I don't see Salem landing a top spot when the season is over. But, I have seen a few predictions of Salem in the mix as one of the top four teams. Overall I see the Leopards as kings of the conference, and Marlington fighting it out for number two. After that, it is a crapshoot. Salem's predictably weak ooc of E. Liverpool, United and E. Palestine will do nothing to prepare them for the NBC meat grinder. A season that started out with such promise a year ago began with a shocking loss to E. Palestine and an uninspired week four loss to South. This year's team appears to be down on experience and talent from that 5-5 team from last year. They may score quite a few points because of the passing attack, but the defense is suspect and may give up quite a few points.

Last edited by peebles; 07-16-17 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-17, 08:26 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Mitch Davidson went to Columbiana....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-17, 08:28 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Cooper bezeresi was a senior last season...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-17, 08:29 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
And so was that Jake H kid too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-17, 08:48 PM
peebles peebles is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 481
peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Mitch Davidson went to Columbiana....
Mitch Davidson also plays for Salem and is their senior QB this year (yep, they have the same name) and they both happen to be outstanding QBs (imagine that?).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-17, 08:56 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Oh that's crazy stuff. Other two were seniors tho.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-17, 09:07 PM
peebles peebles is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 481
peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Oh that's crazy stuff. Other two were seniors tho.
Yep, that's what I said. "They lose....Jake Humeniuk.....and....Cooper Bezeredi...."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-17, 09:11 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Yep, that's what I said. "They lose....Jake Humeniuk.....and....Cooper Bezeredi...."
You edited your post playa
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-17, 09:12 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
What a joke dude lmao
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-16-17, 09:22 PM
peebles peebles is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 481
peebles is on a distinguished road
Nope. The edits were for add-ons at the end of post. I wouldn't lie to you as an official, card-carrying playa since 1980, lol! Anyway, as I said in my long-winded post, Salem is losing a lot of talent, but you never know about high school football. Surprises are what make it so much fun.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-16-17, 09:48 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 5,097
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
I'll let it go playa.


Ron Johnson coaches a good ball team most years. Miss playing Salem in the AAC.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-17-17, 09:59 PM
Stack Attack Stack Attack is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-12-14
Location: Canal Fulton Ohio
Posts: 479
Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Any alliance, Marlington, or Louisville posters chime in on there teams outlook?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-17-17, 10:25 PM
Bandit22 Bandit22 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-12-16
Posts: 164
Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
Marlington and Louisville had qbs in all star game - look to establish next
Salem returns a strong arm
Alliance has a strong runner with a group of rising athletes
South and Carrollton break in new faces to the top coaching spots
Here's the year of Minerva and branch to make moves with some upsets

Parody final year? Lots of big games - alliance marlington, Salem Louisville, Salem west branch, can't wait
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-17-17, 11:31 PM
Ville-ified Ville-ified is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-15-12
Posts: 817
Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack Attack View Post
Any alliance, Marlington, or Louisville posters chime in on there teams outlook?
On offense Louisville brings back their RB, 3 receivers, and only one offensive lineman. On defense 2 lineman, zero linebackers, and 2 or 3 DBs. The O Line and the linebackers will be the biggest question marks heading into the season. I honestly don't know who our LBs will be. Last year's freshman class was pretty good. Maybe some sophs will fill some of those spots. Marlington should be considered the favorite, they beat us at both the varsity and JV level last year. I think Alliance has the potential to be really good with the speed of both Johnson and Frazier. The next 5 I'd say would be WB, Salem, South, Carrollton, then Minerva.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-18-17, 04:22 AM
Old Wildcat Old Wildcat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-04-07
Location: Mogadore
Posts: 303
Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Marlington graduated 16 or 17 seniors last season and have some big shoes to fill. The incoming sophomore class has very good talent and have been extremely good all the through youth and jr. High. I think several will start this year. The team will be overall very young and will improve week to week. That being said this year's Sr class must mentor the younger players and keep them focused. Marlington I believe has a bright future ahead of them. Good luck Dukes.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-18-17, 10:21 AM
COACH_XYZ&12345 COACH_XYZ&12345 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-23-15
Location: Ville
Posts: 648
COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville-ified View Post
On offense Louisville brings back their RB, 3 receivers, and only one offensive lineman. On defense 2 lineman, zero linebackers, and 2 or 3 DBs. The O Line and the linebackers will be the biggest question marks heading into the season. I honestly don't know who our LBs will be. Last year's freshman class was pretty good. Maybe some sophs will fill some of those spots. Marlington should be considered the favorite, they beat us at both the varsity and JV level last year. I think Alliance has the potential to be really good with the speed of both Johnson and Frazier. The next 5 I'd say would be WB, Salem, South, Carrollton, then Minerva.
I think Alliance might be the sleeper this year. Obviously Johnson will be the workhorse for them but they have talent. Question is can they be disciplined enough to maximize that talent. Honestly I think the biggest question for the Leps is who will play QB. Demarco historically is loyal to seniors. I think the junior in my opinion is the best overall option for the position. I agree with the sophomore class. Good class and look for some of those kids to contribute this year.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-18-17, 10:53 AM
COACH_XYZ&12345 COACH_XYZ&12345 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-23-15
Location: Ville
Posts: 648
COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Marlington graduated 16 or 17 seniors last season and have some big shoes to fill. The incoming sophomore class has very good talent and have been extremely good all the through youth and jr. High. I think several will start this year. The team will be overall very young and will improve week to week. That being said this year's Sr class must mentor the younger players and keep them focused. Marlington I believe has a bright future ahead of them. Good luck Dukes.
Losing Pennell and Sampson is a lot of offense to make up. It seems like even when Marlington has very good teams they still have a huge fight on their hands against Louisville. I heard a kid from Louisville (junior) is transferring to Marlington. If true, I imagine that kid would help Marlington somewhere on the field.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-18-17, 03:20 PM
Lynus24 Lynus24 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-22-10
Posts: 976
Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
For Louisville it'll be interesting to see DeMarco's philosophy on playing seniors vs building for the next two seasons. The overwhelming bulk of talent lies within the junior and especially the sophomore classes. Not that you have to throw this season away by any means but imo if you don't get as many of those underclassmen as possible out there this year your a fool. Especially on the o line. Can't play a kid just because he's a senior and expect to build for the future at the same time.
With that being said I think Louisville takes their lumps this year for one reason or another. I hope I'm wrong though.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-19-17, 09:41 AM
Ville-ified Ville-ified is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-15-12
Posts: 817
Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
I don't think he just blindly plays seniors because they are seniors. VanZant started ahead of McKinney, Hartline over kids like Birone and Cook, Thatcher started on the line ahead of some seniors, and a few years ago Chase as a junior started ahead of Phillip Thomas.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-20-17, 07:43 AM
hitme hitme is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Posts: 1,284
hitme is on a distinguished road
Looks like 7-8 seniors will start with the balance made up with juniors and a few sophs. Thankfully the b.s. that went on in basketball and baseball doesn't fly with football and everyone will have to earn their spot. Go Blue!

Last edited by hitme; 07-20-17 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-20-17, 08:42 AM
tb81 tb81 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-16-07
Posts: 368
tb81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconMan 45 View Post
Last year of the NBC.

Politics aside, let's keep this about the kids and teams.

For Carrollton, they bring in Phil Mauro as head coach after Eric McCort resigns to spend time with his family. I've seen Mauros record but i'm still not to sure on his offense and defensive philosophy. If someone can help me out on that it would be appreciated.

Looking on the schedule the Warriors have two scrimmages with John Glenn, a traditional Wing-T team and Indian Creek, which runs the spread.

Non-Conference games include
Home with St. Clairsville, could be a big task for the Warriors depending on what the Red Devils return
Away at Coventry, 5-5 team last year with a common opponent in South
Away at Cambridge, traditionally a run first, downhill team. Always plays tough.

The League may come down to Louisville and Marlington, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a few teams with a .500 or better record.

Predictions.
Louisville
Marlington
West Branch
Carrollton
Alliance
Salem
South
Minerva

It's just too bad Marlington and Alliance decline Dover and New Philly in joining the NBC and establishing two divisions.

Big School
Louisville
Alliance
Marlington
Dover
New Philly

Small School
Carrollton
Minerva
Salem
West Branch
South
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-20-17, 01:25 PM
COACH_XYZ&12345 COACH_XYZ&12345 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-23-15
Location: Ville
Posts: 648
COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb81 View Post
It's just too bad Marlington and Alliance decline Dover and New Philly in joining the NBC and establishing two divisions.

Big School
Louisville
Alliance
Marlington
Dover
New Philly

Small School
Carrollton
Minerva
Salem
West Branch
South

I suspect the opposite occurred, more Dover and NP's declined interest.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-20-17, 01:43 PM
Ville-ified Ville-ified is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-15-12
Posts: 817
Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
I think tb81 is right. The guys in the video work for the Alliance review and within the first 2 minutes they make it pretty clear Alliance and Marlington wanted no part of a big school tier.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fenwick Duals December 27th-28th 2017 CoachCoffey Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 17 10-22-17 04:50 PM
100 Days left before the beginning of the 2017 Ohio High School Football Season IUDOGS Football 81 08-23-17 08:56 AM
2017 CW Columbus Thursday Night Lights Schedule Monarch_Pride Football 1 07-03-17 11:43 AM
2017 MHSBCA (Michigan!) Awards - 06/20/17 seclmw Baseball 0 06-20-17 06:57 AM
100 Days left before the beginning of the 2017 Ohio High School Football Season IUDOGS Football 0 05-15-17 07:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz