Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-13-17, 04:58 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Two things.... I thought this was common practice in Texas and had been / has been for decades.

Also, isn't there a restriction on competing in Ohio High School sports such that you cant do it after your 19th birthday? I always thought there was. That you can play a max of 4 seasons on varsity (unlike Kentucky, where Tim Couch played varsity forever, since 7th or 8th grade) and that it has to be between your 14th and your 19th birthday.
Old 07-13-17, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
Two things.... I thought this was common practice in Texas and had been / has been for decades.

Also, isn't there a restriction on competing in Ohio High School sports such that you cant do it after your 19th birthday? I always thought there was. That you can play a max of 4 seasons on varsity (unlike Kentucky, where Tim Couch played varsity forever, since 7th or 8th grade) and that it has to be between your 14th and your 19th birthday.
20th birthday you need a waiver of some sort

Plenty of 19 year olds that have played

Section 4-2-1

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibili...ocs/Bylaws.pdf
Old 07-13-17, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
If your kid is intellectually and socially ready, you shouldn't hold him back. Odds are, if you do this (for athletic purposes) you are: 1) overestimating your kid's talents; and 2) doing it for you more than him as you want to be daddy of the star. You're also making a statement on priorities that may resonate with your kid for years to come, teaching him that athletics are the number 1 priority.
Old 07-13-17, 05:37 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Coldwater in the past has had a PRE 1st grade that many kids took that was between kindergarten and 1st grade...many kids were 19 years old their Senior year....and I think was stopped a few years ago....
Old 07-13-17, 05:47 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
20th birthday you need a waiver of some sort

Plenty of 19 year olds that have played

Section 4-2-1

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Eligibili...ocs/Bylaws.pdf
Well... you learn something new everyday. I did not know that. I think a spread of 14 to the threshold of a 20th birthday is insane, although I do recognize that a 14 year old playing a field position (not punter or placekicker) is going to be rare and will probably feature a tremendously developed young man.
Old 07-13-17, 05:56 PM
Varsity

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Football View Post
We kept all of our kids at home an extra year, prior to kindergarten. The extra year at home made a huge difference academically ...
It's only natural that the extra year at home made a positive difference - as 7 year olds, for instance, your kids were doing school work intended for 6 year olds.

I don't mean to be argumentative and combative (it's a parent's choice, and it sounds as if you're pleased with what you and your spouse decided), but there is a somewhat unfair advantage provided to kids whose parents hold them back so that they're older than others in the grade.

And I firmly believe that in MAC country, where I live, the decision to hold boys back from Kindergarten is very often, at least in part, because of sports.
Old 07-13-17, 06:24 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
It's only natural that the extra year at home made a positive difference - as 7 year olds, for instance, your kids were doing school work intended for 6 year olds.

I don't mean to be argumentative and combative (it's a parent's choice, and it sounds as if you're pleased with what you and your spouse decided), but there is a somewhat unfair advantage provided to kids whose parents hold them back so that they're older than others in the grade.

And I firmly believe that in MAC country, where I live, the decision to hold boys back from Kindergarten is very often, at least in part, because of sports.
It would only be unfair if that option is not available elsewhere.
Old 07-13-17, 06:46 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
The Freshman parking lot is getting bigger.
Old 07-13-17, 06:55 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
I held my son back--he repeated the first grade. He was smart and made good grades but he was very immature for a 6-year-old. His teacher said he passed just fine, but if he were her child, she'd have him repeat 1st. We did, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. He then seemed a bit ahead of the other children in his grade; He was a leader in high school and a good enough football player that he earned a full ride at a small college. Turned out very well! Many years later, he told me that repeat year made a significant difference in his life--AND provided him a free degree. He said he would never have excelled as well as he did at football, otherwise. I never would have put these two things together, till he told me! For parents of pre-K kids, I do recommend you hold them back a year, if it suits them. The difference will often be dramatic.
Old 07-13-17, 07:02 PM
All Ohio

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
I will say I didn't get really athletic until my junior year of high school and saw the most growth in my first year of college. That 18 to 19 age was a pretty big change.
Old 07-13-17, 08:32 PM
All Ohio

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
"Back in the day", graduated in 1958, most kids graduated at 17 or 18. Much has changed since the "past century".
Most all kids still graduate when they are 17 or 18.

If you want to hold your son back do it when he starts school. There is lots of evidence that girls mature mentally and socially faster than boys. Do your son a favor and start him in 1st grade a year late.
Old 07-13-17, 09:55 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
I'm a former elementary principal who has studied this. There is no research that indicates holding a student back from starting school makes them "more ready" or that they succeed at a higher rate academically. At the same time, it simply exacerbates our culture's problem of prolonging adolescence in students, particularly boys. As an educator I find the trend distressing.
Old 07-13-17, 09:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Most all kids still graduate when they are 17 or 18.

If you want to hold your son back do it when he starts school. There is lots of evidence that girls mature mentally and socially faster than boys. Do your son a favor and start him in 1st grade a year late.
With all due respect, this is simply not true.
Old 07-13-17, 10:26 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
What some people will do to win football games...
Old 07-13-17, 11:02 PM
All District

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Kinda like cutting in line at Cedar Point. Its good for you but bad for other people that want to get on the same ride.
Old 07-14-17, 05:26 AM
All Region

^^^ But I would argue it's not even good for you. Unless your highest good is coming out on top of people physically younger than you in athletic competitions.
Old 07-14-17, 07:00 AM
All Ohio

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
With all due respect, this is simply not true.
Science must be different where you live.
Old 07-14-17, 07:06 AM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
The Freshman parking lot is getting bigger.
Old 07-14-17, 07:09 AM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
We are starting our boys a year late (not actually holding back), they have late birthdays and my brother law 6'5"- graduated high school 200# soaking wet, year later 250#. My boys I think are going to take after her side and look like him.

Today's society a lot of employers will not even consider hiring people until an individual is 21 anyways. I don't see starting a boy a year late as an issue, I think we force education on children to early as it is.
Old 07-14-17, 09:18 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
KINDERGARTEN ADMISSION
A student must be five years old before September 30 of the year he or she will enroll in kindergarten. Each student will be required to attend a screening which is not an “entrance exam,” but a tool to help the teachers better understand the child. Because of the large number of applicants, only those who attend kindergarten at St. Hilary can be guaranteed entrance into the first grade. Applications will be available during registration week in February.

^

This is from St. Hilary's Grade School in Fairlawn. Some grade schools require it.

If people want to hold their kid back for athletic success, then what's the big issue? It's extreme, but it's legal. Kids do have a physical advantage being held back. 18 vs 19 is a huge jump.

OHSAA has no balls to enforce any of its rules anyway

http://www.wfmj.com/story/26192130/1...-for-struthers

^ This case proved it.
Old 07-14-17, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
Well... you learn something new everyday. I did not know that. I think a spread of 14 to the threshold of a 20th birthday is insane, although I do recognize that a 14 year old playing a field position (not punter or placekicker) is going to be rare and will probably feature a tremendously developed young man.
There was a kid around here (Struthers maybe?) a few years that was turning 20. He had moved here with his parents from Poland. I believe he was allowed to play after filing some paperwork.

that's why it's pretty fresh in my mind.
Old 07-14-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
KINDERGARTEN ADMISSION
A student must be five years old before September 30 of the year he or she will enroll in kindergarten. Each student will be required to attend a screening which is not an “entrance exam,” but a tool to help the teachers better understand the child. Because of the large number of applicants, only those who attend kindergarten at St. Hilary can be guaranteed entrance into the first grade. Applications will be available during registration week in February.

^

This is from St. Hilary's Grade School in Fairlawn. Some grade schools require it.

If people want to hold their kid back for athletic success, then what's the big issue? It's extreme, but it's legal. Kids do have a physical advantage being held back. 18 vs 19 is a huge jump.

OHSAA has no balls to enforce any of its rules anyway

http://www.wfmj.com/story/26192130/1...-for-struthers

^ This case proved it.
Hoban guy, right?

No one said it was illegal.

What you have there is more of a guideline than a rule.

My son started kindergarten at 4. The school said no. I said yes. I won. He's had no problems at all socially, is a 4.0 student, president of student council and an excellent athlete.

F Hoban
Old 07-14-17, 10:18 AM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer2 View Post
I'm a former elementary principal who has studied this. There is no research that indicates holding a student back from starting school makes them "more ready" or that they succeed at a higher rate academically. At the same time, it simply exacerbates our culture's problem of prolonging adolescence in students, particularly boys. As an educator I find the trend distressing.
Seems like you've never actually either had kids or talked to an elementary school teacher.

School districts in Ohio can choose one of two dates for kindergarten age. August 1st or September 30th. My son was born in the middle of August and he was 4 our community adopted the August 1st date. He was not ready to start school at 4 11/12ths years old and that extra year made all the difference in the world.
Old 07-14-17, 11:49 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
I could see doing it if the child is born in the summer. That child will be much younger than a child born in October or November. Some districts have moved the cutoff for kindergarten July because of the lack of maturity of these young kids. I think if your child is born in the summer it might be a good thing to hold the kid back. I also think you should hold your kid back if the kid shows a lack of mental development. I know a person who held back his son because he was not ready for school. He was really physically developed, but he could barely talk. So even though he was born in July, the father held him back. If you are doing this for athletic reasons, you should realize that there will be a stigma and most of the kids will catch them by grade 12.
Old 07-14-17, 11:55 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
I can see much of the logic about holding a kid back. But, to me, there is a big difference between holding a kid back at the start of school as opposed to doing it at the 7th or 8th grade level. If you do it early due to maturity issues or just as a parenting decision, I see less issue for the child with that because he or she will still continue with the same classmates from K-8. I think it would have to be tougher on the child to be held back later on because his other classmates would be moving on, and he would not. That would have to be a difficult adjustment for the kid.
Old 07-14-17, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
Agreed Irish60. If parents notice that the child is either physically or intellectually underdeveloped, do it in kindergarten. Then there won't be any stigma. Or if you just want to give your kid a leg up, do it when the kid is young. Then he or she comes up with the same kids.
Old 07-14-17, 01:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
Agreed Irish60. If parents notice that the child is either physically or intellectually underdeveloped, do it in kindergarten. Then there won't be any stigma. Or if you just want to give your kid a leg up, do it when the kid is young. Then he or she comes up with the same kids.
One girl in my grade school was held back for a year in first grade. She did very well in college and had a stellar athletic career. It had more to do with "intellectual" issues.

It's a shame parents will hold their kids back to be more mature muscle wise. It usually evens out at the college level. Could you imagine if Parris Campbell was held back a year...scary!
Old 07-14-17, 02:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One girl in my grade school was held back for a year in first grade. She did very well in college and had a stellar athletic career. It had more to do with "intellectual" issues.

It's a shame parents will hold their kids back to be more mature muscle wise. It usually evens out at the college level. Could you imagine if Parris Campbell was held back a year...scary!
I believe he was only 17 when he graduated.
Old 07-14-17, 03:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Football View Post
I believe he was only 17 when he graduated.
Wasn't he 16 during his senior year?
Old 07-14-17, 03:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wasn't he 16 during his senior year?
He played football his senior year at 16.

Also Jalen Hurts was Alabama's QB last year and was only 18 years old. So to talk about kids being 16 when they are a freshman in HS is ridiculous.