Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-12-17, 07:18 AM
Varsity

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Centerville Elks 2017

Elks had a good offseason with CFB offers. DL is all D1 with Henderson, Vance, & Haller (first time in a long time). Spiewak got FCS offer. Grandin, Shelton, & Harmon should have solid seasons. Any predictions on upcoming season? I am going to be aggressive with 8-2.

@Fairfield (W)
@Lakota West (W)
Pickerington North (W)
@Springfield (L)
Springboro (W)
@Wayne (L)
Lebanon (W)
@Northmont (W)
Fairmont (W)
Beavercreak (W)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-17, 08:13 AM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
These are my bold predictions... have to go 8-2 to make the playoffs

@Fairfield (L)
@Lakota West (W)
Pickerington North (L)
@Springfield (L)
Springboro (W)
@Wayne (L)
Lebanon (W)
@Northmont (W or L)
Fairmont (L)
Beavercreak (W)
Old 07-13-17, 12:04 PM
Freshman

buckeyes99 is on a distinguished road
Don't think Centerville is going to make a comeback from last year's season that quickly. You had DeBoard, Purcell, Henderson and more last year... and how did that turn out?
Old 07-13-17, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
This is the first season of the Ullery Jr. era at Centerville. Maybe the ELKS will go 10-0 for this regular season (like the ELKS did the first season of the Roberts era).
Old 07-13-17, 12:55 PM
Freshman

With Wayne, Springboro, Fairfield, and Northmont on their schedule this year? I'm sorry, but its doubtable.
Old 07-13-17, 03:04 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
With that schedule + new coach, with an inexperienced offensive line, they'll be hard-pressed to post a winning record.
Old 07-13-17, 10:28 PM
All District

Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Lost 1 starter on the offensive line from last year, how is that inexperience?
Old 07-13-17, 11:58 PM
All Ohio

They weren't very good...
Old 07-14-17, 08:06 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Assuming the tradition will continue or maybe it has already stopped and I just don't know.....

How does the system work on Centerville's helmets with the stripes that cover the helmet? I assume they are supposed to look like the points on an Elk's antlers?
Old 07-14-17, 11:08 AM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Assuming the tradition will continue or maybe it has already stopped and I just don't know.....

How does the system work on Centerville's helmets with the stripes that cover the helmet? I assume they are supposed to look like the points on an Elk's antlers?
This is a great question... I've often wondered the same thing. I was told that you get more stripes based on how you play/perform such as scoring, pick 6s etc which is why more kids have more than others. I'm sure people like Kyle_E_Woyote could explain better...
Old 07-14-17, 02:09 PM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post

'Stripes' originated by Coach Gregg in the early 80's. They were awarded for big hits back then. They progressed over the years and began to be awarded for things like multiple domination blocks, sacks, knockdown blocks, int, tackles, etc. Every year there are more & more because players/coaches complain about not getting a fair amount for their position.

They have always been gold to match the team colors, under Robertson they went to old gold (like the Saints) for the C-Elks & Stripes for some reason. I assume Ullery will bring back the real gold (Steelers).
Old 07-15-17, 01:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
This is a great question... I've often wondered the same thing. I was told that you get more stripes based on how you play/perform such as scoring, pick 6s etc which is why more kids have more than others. I'm sure people like Kyle_E_Woyote could explain better...
It's great that we had elkfan explain what the stripes were on the ELKS helmets. Even though I follow the ELKS, I couldn't exactly explain about the hard earned awards that are placed on the helmets.

Our family moved away from Centerville in December of 1967, right after I made the ELKS Freshman basketball team. I was very sad to be moving away. I always remembered the words of my PE coach Mr. Engleka said to me on my final day there. He said that the high school I was moving to (in Hawthorne, California), that it will be good for them, but it's bad for us (at Centerville).

I always remembered those thoughtful words by this great man, as it has inspired me. I've always remained a Centerville fan.
Old 07-16-17, 10:03 AM
Varsity

PantherTown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to PantherTown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Elks had a good offseason with CFB offers. DL is all D1 with Henderson, Vance, & Haller (first time in a long time). Spiewak got FCS offer. Grandin, Shelton, & Harmon should have solid seasons. Any predictions on upcoming season? I am going to be aggressive with 8-2.

@Fairfield (W)
@Lakota West (W)
Pickerington North (W)
@Springfield (L)
Springboro (W)
@Wayne (L)
Lebanon (W)
@Northmont (W)
Fairmont (W)
Beavercreak (W)

Agree there is some talent. But as was mentioned below, Purcell was your only quality lineman and he is gone. This will be a very bad O Line. No speed on offense is a big problem with a QB with a weak but accurate arm who can't run. Scoring points against good teams is going to be a big problem. There is zero chance you beat Fairfield, SF, or Wayne. Of the other 7 let's hope you win 5.
Old 07-17-17, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

Kyle E Wyote...Did Engleka still use the "rubber band & a peanut shell" analogy when you were there???
Old 07-17-17, 12:58 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTown View Post
Agree there is some talent. But as was mentioned below, Purcell was your only quality lineman and he is gone. This will be a very bad O Line. No speed on offense is a big problem with a QB with a weak but accurate arm who can't run. Scoring points against good teams is going to be a big problem. There is zero chance you beat Fairfield, SF, or Wayne. Of the other 7 let's hope you win 5.
Offensive line? Get with the times, it's all about offensive schemes these days, that's all that matters. If you need anymore help with football knowledge, you can get a hold of WC Pirate, current Elks AD & Football Program Tzar Robert Q. Dement. You can probably find him at BW's barstool near you.
Old 07-17-17, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

Elkfan,

Unless your being completely sarcastic, scheme or no scheme, you still need a few guys up front to knock some people over.
Old 07-17-17, 01:19 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan View Post
Offensive line? Get with the times, it's all about offensive schemes these days, that's all that matters. If you need anymore help with football knowledge, you can get a hold of WC Pirate, current Elks AD & Football Program Tzar Robert Q. Dement. You can probably find him at BW's barstool near you.
So, what you're saying is if you have a horrible offensive line, you think you can still win games? Have you ever hear of a sack? Ever heard of how the outcome of a run play is determined on if the o-line moves the line of scrimmage or not?
Old 07-17-17, 01:45 PM
Voice of Reason

Who could possibly have taken my comment seriously?
Old 07-17-17, 01:48 PM
All Ohio

...figured you weren't.
Old 07-17-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
Kyle E Wyote...Did Engleka still use the "rubber band & a peanut shell" analogy when you were there???
I don't remember Engleka talking about this, I only had him for PE class. That PE class was mixed, with both boys and girls together. Maybe he couldn't use that analogy with mixed company.

Van Tine was my Freshman basketball coach. It would have been great to have Engleka as my basketball coach. I think he coached JV basketball (called the Reserve team back then).

What was his "Rubber band & a peanut shell" analogy? Maybe it will ring a bell (it's been about 50 years).
Old 07-17-17, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

...It was in reference to having to wear a jockstrap in PE class, even if all you had was a rubber band & a peanut shell ( no size issue intended of course )...
Old 07-18-17, 01:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
...It was in reference to having to wear a jockstrap in PE class, even if all you had was a rubber band & a peanut shell ( no size issue intended of course )...
LOL, it's great Engleka had a good sense of humor. No wonder I didn't hear him say this in PE class (in the presence of girls there).

This PE class was in the Magsig gymnasium. The girls had a woman PE instructor, Engleka was ours. I think the girls ususally had one half and the boys the other. But a lot of times the two classes were combined for games that took the full court.

The one thing I really remember from that class was when the two classes were combined for a full court baseball type of dodgeball game using a volleyball. I was running around the bases and sliding into home plate for a score, when Englka threw the volleyball at me and it hit me in the head for an out!

It didn't hurt, but the girls there felt sorry for me (one in particular said to me she felt that way). So this actually turned out for the best!
Old 07-18-17, 07:38 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTown View Post
Agree that OL and LBs will be the question marks coming in this year. Lack of depth is a concern. If stay healthy, Elks will surprise some people.
Old 07-18-17, 12:57 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Agree that OL and LBs will be the question marks coming in this year. Lack of depth is a concern. If stay healthy, Elks will surprise some people.
The Elks should win 7-8 games this year with the talent they have coming back. Also major addition by subtraction of superstar qb/wo - finally being able to focus on team play vs appeasing superstar parents will be beneficial...well until it all starts again next year when another Harrison arrives.
Old 07-18-17, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

How's Harrison doing at Navy?

EDIT: Here's a Navy link for Harrison: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-f...n_1020525.html

Last edited by Kyle_E_Woyote; 07-19-17 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-26-17, 07:44 PM
Varsity

Georgetown Camp

Any updates after team camp?
Old 07-27-17, 02:11 PM
Varsity

PantherTown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to PantherTown
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan View Post
The Elks should win 7-8 games this year with the talent they have coming back. Also major addition by subtraction of superstar qb/wo - finally being able to focus on team play vs appeasing superstar parents will be beneficial...well until it all starts again next year when another Harrison arrives.
Interesting how you view the Centerville kids who came back as bad for the program? We had the same with Cunningham and the parent involvement. But we would never say Cunningham leaving made us better by subtraction. If a Kid is a stud, parent involvement does not change the talent level of the kid. You seem to say that your QB/WO from last year leaving makes the program better? We all know some Dad's are a little tough to deal with. But how many games you think you win in the last two years if your last 2 QBs had not returned? If you don't want the next Harrison QB, send him over to us, we will be glad to deal with him and the parent.
Old 07-27-17, 03:12 PM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm amazed at how much a Springboro Panther follower, parent, coach, or crazy Dad opinionios/mostly bad opinions has on the Centerville program.

You would think you could at least start a Springboro-Centerville thread to at least discuss the Panthers road to another Warren County State Championship!

Yes, the last 2 years were miserable and Had everything to do with a bunch of individuals. That's not what people want in Centerville......obviously since Dement had to hire and Ullery.

It will be the same story with the younger Harisson, Dad will never be happy, blame everyone else, be disresptful to people who have put their sweat & blood for a program for decades, alienate all but a few of his kids teammates....that meet his standards, and only care about his sons personal accolades.

Heck, ask your o-line coach how that affected his job @ Centerville. Hopefully they have learned a lesson from the soap opera he created the last 7 years and let the staff do their jobs.

Now what matters. I have no idea Panthertown what the Elks Record will be. They have a really tough stretch for the first 6 games. 5 of 6 made the playoffs last year, my guess is 5 of 6 will make the playoffs again this year, so it's a tough road for a first year coach & new o-line coach for the 3rd time in 4 years.