Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-08-17, 05:49 AM
Junior Varsity

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
Question If all conferences were disbanded, who would you still want to play?

Well?

Last edited by aztecjim; 07-09-17 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Better title.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 08:56 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
What a ridiculously dumb question!!
Old 07-08-17, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
What a ridiculously dumb question!!
I agree. Two years ago, Benedictine and Hoban were 4-0 in the NCL Blue going into the final week. Benedictine beat Hoban and won the NCL. Hoban went on and won the state championship. Do you think anyone at Hoban looks at that banner hanging in the gym and cares (or even remembers) that they did not win the conference championship that year.
Old 07-08-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
His question got cut off. For Benedictine, the only schools I'd like to see remain on the schedule under such a scenario are Lake Catholic and Walsh Jesuit.
Old 07-08-17, 10:09 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
His question got cut off. For Benedictine, the only schools I'd like to see remain on the schedule under such a scenario are Lake Catholic and Walsh Jesuit.
Good observation. For Marion Local playing in the MAC I wouldn't change the schedule at all.
Old 07-11-17, 10:35 AM
Moderated User

slapnut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
Well?
yer mom
Old 07-11-17, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

The only relevant question is, should OHSAA take over conference alignment. Many states already do this. If this were done, it would alleviate scheduling issues for many schools, mostly private, and would eliminate the use of Harbin points. In theory, state could place 3 or 4 leagues in a region and take top two finishers, two top third place teams. This would also embolden schools to play quality non league games as they would not hurt too badly in event of loss. Whole problem though, schools will not want to give up autonomy.
Old 07-11-17, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The only relevant question is, should OHSAA take over conference alignment. Many states already do this. If this were done, it would alleviate scheduling issues for many schools, mostly private, and would eliminate the use of Harbin points. In theory, state could place 3 or 4 leagues in a region and take top two finishers, two top third place teams. This would also embolden schools to play quality non league games as they would not hurt too badly in event of loss. Whole problem though, schools will not want to give up autonomy.
Change the word "schools" to communities, and that same statement explains why so many small school districts in Ohio continue to exist.
Old 07-11-17, 01:09 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Change the word "schools" to communities, and that same statement explains why so many small school districts in Ohio continue to exist.
Well, there's that and also because they generally out-perform larger districts.
Old 07-11-17, 02:00 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Well, there's that and also because they generally out-perform larger districts.
They out-perform city districts. They generally do not out-perform larger suburban districts.
Old 07-11-17, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
They out-perform city districts. They generally do not out-perform larger suburban districts.
I don't think there's really any correlation between district size and performance. The correlation more so exists with the demographic profile of the students attending the schools. A small suburban district is probably going to out-perform a larger rural district, all other things constant. A small rural district will probably out-perform a larger inner-ring suburban district.
Old 07-11-17, 05:28 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think OHSAA will fall apart if they ever try to impose a Texas type system. Teams have been assembling their own schedules and league alignments since 1895 or whenever Ohio HS Football began.

If you had the State forming leagues, some schools would be forced to play St Ignatius or St Edward in NEO just as an example (or both if strict geography was used! Which it obviously wouldn't or couldn't) and the screaming would start. I'm sure you could apply the same thought to the Cincinnati and Columbus and Toledo areas.

I think the Harbin System works pretty well to determine playoff teams and don't see any compelling need to change it. I think Ohio has about the best playoff system going, myself. I think there should be fewer Divisions but that's the only change I would make.

California has the system you describe and they typically use 6 team Leagues in the Southern Section. You can finish 3rd in League with an overall record of 3-7 or 2-8 and potentially make the playoffs. I recall a season in the Los Angeles City Section where a 1-9 team was in the playoffs.
Old 07-12-17, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
I think OHSAA will fall apart if they ever try to impose a Texas type system. Teams have been assembling their own schedules and league alignments since 1895 or whenever Ohio HS Football began.

If you had the State forming leagues, some schools would be forced to play St Ignatius or St Edward in NEO just as an example (or both if strict geography was used! Which it obviously wouldn't or couldn't) and the screaming would start. I'm sure you could apply the same thought to the Cincinnati and Columbus and Toledo areas.

I think the Harbin System works pretty well to determine playoff teams and don't see any compelling need to change it. I think Ohio has about the best playoff system going, myself. I think there should be fewer Divisions but that's the only change I would make.

California has the system you describe and they typically use 6 team Leagues in the Southern Section. You can finish 3rd in League with an overall record of 3-7 or 2-8 and potentially make the playoffs. I recall a season in the Los Angeles City Section where a 1-9 team was in the playoffs.
Totally disagree.

If the state formed leagues it would go by region which would make sense for playoff competition AND keep teams from ducking local schools in the same region.

It would be simple.The regions and divisions are already in place. taking the next step to form schedules wouldn't be hard at all.

Who says you'd have to change the Harbin system? This would only enhance it by eliminating playing OOS or Canadian teams, and making teams within a region actually compete with each other for playoff spots.

Also, if this rationale was used you would never have a 1-9 team make the playoffs. That's crazy.
Old 07-12-17, 07:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

California has taken it a step forward. Not only do they assign leagues, they assign division based on competitive balance factors such as tradition and 5 year success/failure. They do not limit factors such as enrollment size shape division/section alignment. This format is similar to European soccer assignments. I'm not saying it's the best way, but it is being done.
Old 07-13-17, 03:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
California has taken it a step forward. Not only do they assign leagues, they assign division based on competitive balance factors such as tradition and 5 year success/failure. They do not limit factors such as enrollment size shape division/section alignment. This format is similar to European soccer assignments. I'm not saying it's the best way, but it is being done.
European soccer assignments?

I believe those are based only on promotion/relegation.

There are no 'assignments'.

it's all earned.
Old 07-13-17, 04:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yes. You are correct, I neglected to mention that process, what they call "re-leaguing" every few years with teams also being placed by level (what we know as enrollment Divisions) also.

My biggest complaints about the CA system are: 6 team leagues give too many games that don't matter as far as the playoffs are concerned. Ironically, 6 team leagues would work far better in Ohio because it would give teams more independent games to try and go after Harbin points, either by scheduling tough teams (ideally) or also (and maybe more probable for some) "Harbin Cows".

I also don't like their Section system, but due to the massive size of the State I understand how that evolved. It must be almost 1000 miles from Crescent City or Alturas CA in the North to Calexico CA in the South.
Old 07-13-17, 04:25 PM
All Region

To try and get back on the OP's topic, If Euclid suddenly had to go independent, I think they would stick to all their historic foes in the LEL, the old GCC, and the new GCC, which are the only 3 leagues that Euclid has played in since it opened in 1949 after the consolidation of Shore and Central High Schools.

We traditionally play inner and some outer ring suburbs of the East Side, and played some West Side teams as part of being in the LEL and the new GCC. I don't think that would change much. We seldom went far afield from the Cleveland area for football opposition, probably mostly because it has never been necessary to do so, with an abundance of large high schools in the Cleveland suburbs. I doubt that would change either.

We also like to play our biggest rival which always was VASJ, and I'm sure they (Euclid Administration/AD) would like to continue that, but times have changed and we don't get to match up with them often these days. Enrollments, demographics... so much has changed dramatically through the years and we have had to change with it. We stopped playing City (Senate) schools back in the 60's due to fights so I think such matchups even now would be few and far between on future Panther schedules, although I do think we play Glenville this coming season.
Old 07-13-17, 04:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Totally disagree.

I know. We have had this discussion/ debate before.

If the state formed leagues it would go by region which would make sense for playoff competition AND keep teams from ducking local schools in the same region.

Admins don't want that. They want to make their own schedules. There are playoffs and the first 3 rounds are in-Region. You can run but you cant hide.

It would be simple. The regions and divisions are already in place. taking the next step to form schedules wouldn't be hard at all.

Sure, it would be simple. I agree. But simplicity isn't relevant. It's not a plus or a minus as to why to do it.

Who says you'd have to change the Harbin system? This would only enhance it by eliminating playing OOS or Canadian teams, and making teams within a region actually compete with each other for playoff spots.

In Texas the top two or three teams in District do (or can) qualify for the playoffs based on the District (League) standings. A team could go 0-3 in independent play and go 6-1 or 5-2 in the District (again "League") and get in the playoffs. You can't use Harbins for anything other than wild card qualifiers. What if a team went 0-3 OOL and then 7-0 and won the District? They are in the playoffs as District champs. What if they didn't qualify under Harbins?

Also, if this rationale was used you would never have a 1-9 team make the playoffs. That's crazy.

Yes it is. That's why I mentioned it, because it happened in the California system in LA in the City Section playoffs one year.
Your main theme seems to be you don't like what you perceive as teams "ducking" other teams, when someone doesn't want to play and won't schedule St. I, St. Ed, Mooney etc unless they have to in the playoffs. I think things should go on as they always have with the Harbin system affecting all your games. I don't think games against Canadian teams should count in the Harbins, they play a radically different game in their regular seasons. (The new Canadian schools/academies that play all American rules could be counted.)

I think the way those schools comprise their enrollments is so radically different from how public schools do, that no one should be forced to be in a league with them. I have come to believe their ought to be an all public school Assn for playoffs too. Your mileage may vary and that's fine. School administrators aren't looking to Cali_Eagle for guidance on what to do re: these issues. It's just opinion, it isn't going to change the existing system.
Old 07-13-17, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Your main theme seems to be you don't like what you perceive as teams "ducking" other teams, when someone doesn't want to play and won't schedule St. I, St. Ed, Mooney etc unless they have to in the playoffs. I think things should go on as they always have with the Harbin system affecting all your games. I don't think games against Canadian teams should count in the Harbins, they play a radically different game in their regular seasons. (The new Canadian schools/academies that play all American rules could be counted.)

I think the way those schools comprise their enrollments is so radically different from how public schools do, that no one should be forced to be in a league with them. I have come to believe their ought to be an all public school Assn for playoffs too. Your mileage may vary and that's fine. School administrators aren't looking to Cali_Eagle for guidance on what to do re: these issues. It's just opinion, it isn't going to change the existing system.
My other main theme is that teams within a region should compete with each other for playoff spots, not against a contrived schedule to balloon point totals.

Very rarely does a team play more than 5 games a year within their region. Some play zero.

This makes no sense to me at all and it's what has led to the explosion of OOS and Canadian 'Harbin cow' games.

Perhaps someone out there can answer this, but did any school ever play a team from Canada before the harbin system was introduced?

I realize OOS games have existed for a long time, but the reasoning for many of them is different now.

Oh, and I realize we have gone round and round on this. It's fun!
Old 07-13-17, 05:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
My other main theme is that teams within a region should compete with each other for playoff spots, not against a contrived schedule to balloon point totals.

To me, the system operates how it did in the AP/UPI poll era. Teams that want to pursue the State Title schedule accordingly. Other schools play in local leagues against local competition and only worry about it when that "once in a generation" Great team comes along.

Very rarely does a team play more than 5 games a year within their region. Some play zero.

I dont think it matters. They still need to win 3 playoff games against the top teams in the Region standings to make the State Semi-Final.

This makes no sense to me at all and it's what has led to the explosion of OOS and Canadian 'Harbin cow' games.

Perhaps someone out there can answer this, but did any school ever play a team from Canada before the harbin system was introduced?

I realize OOS games have existed for a long time, but the reasoning for many of them is different now.

Thats a good question re: Canadian teams. I don't know when that started. I do think Canadian games against teams that play a regular season of Canadian rules should not count. It's a different game. I think Washington DC games are mainly by teams having a hard time filling the non-conference portion of their schedules. Steubenville, Massillon... etc.

Yes it is!

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 07-13-17 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 05:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

In NCAA Division III football, in order for a team to qualify to be in the running for an at-large playoff berth, they must play at least 50% of their schedule against teams in their region. Perhaps the OHSAA should consider some variation of a scheduling requirement for schools for playoff qualification?
Old 07-14-17, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
In NCAA Division III football, in order for a team to qualify to be in the running for an at-large playoff berth, they must play at least 50% of their schedule against teams in their region. Perhaps the OHSAA should consider some variation of a scheduling requirement for schools for playoff qualification?
I wanna give this guy a hug.

Problem is enforcing it without assigning games.
Old 07-14-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I wanna give this guy a hug.

Problem is enforcing it without assigning games.
The way to enforce it is to simply say that any team that doesn't play whatever minimum percentage of games against in-region (or perhaps in-division) opponents is ineligible for postseason play.

I think teams would naturally work to adjust their schedules through the above incentive without the state assigning teams games. The bigger problem would be for schools that play in conferences where 7, 8, or 9 games are against conference opponents and the schools are in several different divisions. For instance, Berea is the only Division I school playing in the 10 team Southwestern Conference. Berea plays 9 conference games against schools that are in other regions, so due to conference affiliation it would likely be impossible for them to be eligible for the playoffs with any kind of an in-region percentage requirement. I'm not sure how widespread this problem would actually be for schools facing similar scenarios, but it would be an issue no less. (Of course some may argue that Berea shouldn't be playing in a conference full of schools smaller than it in the first place.)
Old 07-14-17, 12:00 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The way to enforce it is to simply say that any team that doesn't play whatever minimum percentage of games against in-region (or perhaps in-division) opponents is ineligible for postseason play.

I think teams would naturally work to adjust their schedules through the above incentive without the state assigning teams games. The bigger problem would be for schools that play in conferences where 7, 8, or 9 games are against conference opponents and the schools are in several different divisions. For instance, Berea is the only Division I school playing in the 10 team Southwestern Conference. Berea plays 9 conference games against schools that are in other regions, so due to conference affiliation it would likely be impossible for them to be eligible for the playoffs with any kind of an in-region percentage requirement. I'm not sure how widespread this problem would actually be for schools facing similar scenarios, but it would be an issue no less. (Of course some may argue that Berea shouldn't be playing in a conference full of schools smaller than it in the first place.)
That sounds all well and good, until you realize there's some teams that just won't have an easy time getting games against equally sized, regional opponents. THEY might go out looking for games, but that doesn't mean other teams will take them up on the offer.
Old 07-14-17, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

What if no one will schedule you? Then what do you do?

How can you make teams schedule someone they don't want to play?
Old 07-14-17, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What if no one will schedule you? Then what do you do?

How can you make teams schedule someone they don't want to play?
To be clear, I was just spitballing a bit with how this idea might work. And yes, there'd be unintended consequences. I'd like to believe that because both teams benefit from playing an "in-region" opponent, because it helps both teams reach the minimum percentage, that there'd be more interest in scheduling these games. But of course some teams would still end up being "blackballed," a problem to which I'm not sure exists a solution.
Old 07-14-17, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
To be clear, I was just spitballing a bit with how this idea might work. And yes, there'd be unintended consequences. I'd like to believe that because both teams benefit from playing an "in-region" opponent, because it helps both teams reach the minimum percentage, that there'd be more interest in scheduling these games. But of course some teams would still end up being "blackballed," a problem to which I'm not sure exists a solution.
Sure it does.

The state assigns you 5 games and you figure out the rest. Pretty simple. Most conferences would be fine because a fair bit of in conference games would be within your region.
Old 07-14-17, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

The problem with these ideas are that scheduling is done 2-3 years in advance whereas regions are assigned every other year. I would suggest the state could assign 3-4 games per year by simply taking that autonomy away from schools. When the state assigns the regions, they also assign you your first three games which will be played in your region. You then can pick your conference alignment for weeks 4-10. As far as 10 team conferences, they would have to figure out some form of schedule rotation.
Old 07-14-17, 04:31 PM
All Region

I doubt the schools that comprise the OHSAA will ever vote for any plan that causes the Association to hand them a schedule and say "You must play these 5 opponents." The trend now seems to be to fight any OHSAA ruling that goes against a school in court until they cave in or it goes away.

I think mandatory scheduling will never fly. No one is going to want to be told they *have* to play St I, St Ed, Mooney, Steubenville, The GCL-S... just for starters as examples. I'm sure I have left out plenty of other teams that are equally valid as examples. Some Stark County schools don't want to play Massillon for whatever reason they have. It's one thing to meet the example teams in the playoffs, chances are you have a half decent team that year. Year in and Year out... that's a whole other story there.

I think schools would start exploring some kind of split into a new public school association if this were to happen. I'd be shocked if such a plan ever got the votes to be enacted into reality within the present system.