Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-15-17, 12:49 PM
All American

bleedingreen6 is on a distinguished road
It will be interesting to see what skill players emerge for the Cats out of two a days. There will some new players that play key roles.
Old 07-17-17, 04:56 PM
All District

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Did Dunn or Williams go anywhere to play football from last years team? I know Jaber is going to Hiram according to the paper.
Old 07-17-17, 05:51 PM
Junior Varsity

PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
Wiliams committed to Ashland
Old 07-18-17, 10:24 AM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredUp1 View Post
Mogadore gets beat by Fort Recovery and all of sudden all you hear about now is the MAC. I never heard of the teams in the MAC until that game. I'm not really impressed by the MAC league....sorry. Mogadore continues to be solid because they have a coaching staff full of traditionalist. The kids are taught at a young age to work for a long term goal together. Never underestimate the thought process of a small group of committed kids. They have been known to win state championships. The only "LIGHTS' OUT" I'm seeing are the homeowners houses in Mogadore during football season when the whole town is at Wildcat Stadium.
I sure hope that first sentence was sarcasm...
Old 07-18-17, 10:27 AM
All American

To answer the original poster's question...

Tradition and the fact that the kids run the same offense and defense from the time they are 7 years old until they are seniors in highschool. that's 11 years of the same offense and defense. By the time they are in HS the muscle memory of every play is so ingrained that they never have to think on the field, just play/execute.

Most pee wee football programs run a different offense every year growing up...
Old 07-18-17, 12:56 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredUp1 View Post
Mogadore gets beat by Fort Recovery and all of sudden all you hear about now is the MAC. I never heard of the teams in the MAC until that game. I'm not really impressed by the MAC league....sorry. Mogadore continues to be solid because they have a coaching staff full of traditionalist. The kids are taught at a young age to work for a long term goal together. Never underestimate the thought process of a small group of committed kids. They have been known to win state championships. The only "LIGHTS' OUT" I'm seeing are the homeowners houses in Mogadore during football season when the whole town is at Wildcat Stadium.
23 posts.....and probably a little young, check the History of the MAC...120 State championships....

now your Moggy program...is solid as a rock, I've known about your programs for YEARS( because i'm old) nothing but respect....I wish the my Wildcat team could haave pulled one out against the Skins of St Henry, and had a chance to play your boys back in 1996......
Old 07-18-17, 03:10 PM
Varsity

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Can't wait to see how freshmen Kody Jaber and Nick Skye develop over the next couple of years. Heard these boys show a lot of promise.

I'll never forget travelling an hour to Mogadore, back in 1985, when #1-ranked Mogadore trounced #4 Tuscarawas Central Catholic, by a score of 36-07, in Game 1 of the Div. V playoffs. What a cold, rainy, muddy game that one was!
Old 07-18-17, 03:37 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
I am going to give you some advice because I'm pretty sure you are young and I know you are new to Yappi. The MAC deserves to be respected. Their great success speaks for itself. You shouldn't fear any opponent, but you should respect them. Many teams in that league have won championships over multiple decades. Please do your research, before posting. This is from a Mogadore grad and fellow fan. Other than that, welcome to Yappi.
Yep, the MAC has been great now for 20+ years, and not to long ago they blasted every NE team D5-D7 in the title game. NE Ohio has made strides in that they can keep the games competitive and have captured some crowns over MAC schools.

Anyway, glad to see Moggy back up to D6. Hopefully McDonald can get another crack at the Cats in November this year.
Old 07-18-17, 04:02 PM
Varsity

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
I really hope Marion Local can get back to the state final and meet Kirtland or Mogadore again - two NE teams with very strong traditions. Good luck to Moggy this season.
Old 07-19-17, 05:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
I really hope Marion Local can get back to the state final and meet Kirtland or Mogadore again - two NE teams with very strong traditions. Good luck to Moggy this season.
Mogadore getting bumped up to D6 will really diminish their chances at making a title game. It will probably be Kirtland vs Coldwater/Marion Local winner. Although I am not sure what Cuyahoga Heights have returning from last year's great squad.
Old 07-19-17, 07:04 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
To answer the original poster's question...

Tradition and the fact that the kids run the same offense and defense from the time they are 7 years old until they are seniors in highschool. that's 11 years of the same offense and defense. By the time they are in HS the muscle memory of every play is so ingrained that they never have to think on the field, just play/execute.

Most pee wee football programs run a different offense every year growing up...
JMog, with all due respect when you're a D6-7 program you can run the same offense and defense from age 7 to age 18, when you're at the D1-D3 level offenses are and have to be way too complex for 7 year olds to grasp, actually can't do it. When you're playing Waterloo, Field, Rootstown and not McKinley, Hudson, ST. whatever, things are much different. Moggy is an excellent program at that level.
Old 07-19-17, 07:18 AM
All Region

mogadore is on a distinguished road
Mogadore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
JMog, with all due respect when you're a D6-7 program you can run the same offense and defense from age 7 to age 18, when you're at the D1-D3 level offenses are and have to be way too complex for 7 year olds to grasp, actually can't do it. When you're playing Waterloo, Field, Rootstown and not McKinley, Hudson, ST. whatever, things are much different. Moggy is an excellent program at that level.
The youth football teams are taught the basic of the offense and defense and each year something is added so by the time they get to high school the more complex is added
Old 07-19-17, 08:10 AM
All American

Quote:
I think you misunderstand but definitely got in your dig on small school football in the process.

At the HS level they run a pro style offense (2 backs, 2 WR, 1 TE is the typical lineup), a 4-3 defense that covers both man and complex zone coverages pole zone blitzes, etc.

At youth they start off with straight T, full backfield (3 backs, 2 TE) and a 4-4 defense and add in wrinkles to that every year through HS. But the basics and play calling names are the same all the way though. A 10 year old could hear the high school play and know what the line up and play actually is. That is what I meant.

I did not mean the HS was running the same base offense and defense as 8 year olds. I thought that was self evident, apparently not.
Old 07-19-17, 09:33 AM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think you misunderstand but definitely got in your dig on small school football in the process.

At the HS level they run a pro style offense (2 backs, 2 WR, 1 TE is the typical lineup), a 4-3 defense that covers both man and complex zone coverages pole zone blitzes, etc.

At youth they start off with straight T, full backfield (3 backs, 2 TE) and a 4-4 defense and add in wrinkles to that every year through HS. But the basics and play calling names are the same all the way though. A 10 year old could hear the high school play and know what the line up and play actually is. That is what I meant.

I did not mean the HS was running the same base offense and defense as 8 year olds. I thought that was self evident, apparently not.
The things you quoted are what make a great "program" Mogadore is one of the great small school programs in the state of Ohio. Just like the MAC is the premier small school football conference in Ohio. These programs and programs like Kirtland are what the other small schools should aspire to be like. We scrimmage Moggy 1st every year and they seem to provide a good gage to us as to where we are at going into our season. They are a 1st class program with great coaches and committed players, consistently.
Old 07-19-17, 09:48 AM
All Region

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Its not a dig on small school football, small school football is still the greatest game on earth. But if you go to states and watch D-7 championship, then D-6 and so on you will see the huge difference when they get to D-1.
Old 07-19-17, 10:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Its not a dig on small school football, small school football is still the greatest game on earth. But if you go to states and watch D-7 championship, then D-6 and so on you will see the huge difference when they get to D-1.
In depth (team size), and depth of athletic abilities yes, but not a huge difference in schemes.

Watch Coldwater, Marion Local, etc play, their schemes offensively are just as diverse as the big schools. They just don't have the talent depth as the big schools.
Old 07-19-17, 12:03 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Although I am not sure what Cuyahoga Heights have returning from last year's great squad.
CH is D7 this year.

Mogadore moving to D6 puts an end to JFK/Mogadore playoff football history for now...

Last edited by ideliver; 07-19-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 12:11 PM
All Region

bop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
CH is D7 this year. And this puts an end to JFK/Mogadore playoff football
It may put an end to JFK playoff football, but Mogadore is D6, so it is irrelevant concerning them.
Old 07-19-17, 03:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
It may put an end to JFK playoff football, but Mogadore is D6, so it is irrelevant concerning them.
He meant the JFK/Mog rivalry in the playoffs.

I didn't realize CH dropped to 7.
Old 07-19-17, 07:34 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Mogadore is all about a strong youth program and a committed community. Classic small town America.
Old 07-19-17, 07:54 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Mogadore is all about a strong youth program and a committed community. Classic small town America.
That's remarkable--many people say the MAC enjoys the great success it has for the OPPOSITE reason--that there are no youth football programs!! No kid in the MAC schools plays football in a formal program until the 7th grade school team. Until then, only the backyard games with brothers and cousins. I see the reasoning behind both, but it's cool that both have produced superior programs!