Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-08-17, 10:41 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
As good as the 2010 team was and as fast as they were...they would have been beaten by the 1991 team, the 1999 team, and the 2004 team. The 2004 team if John Rutan would not have been hurt could have won the state title if they would have beaten Columbus Brookhaven...but that would have been a tall order...Dominic Jones was one of the top high school football players I have seen and we couldn't stop him. The 1999 team would have beaten every Lake team except the 1991 team but it would have been an amazing game. The 1999 team only gave up 83 points in the regular season and 35 in 4 playoff games. Defensively the 1999 team ranks up there with 1988 ( gave up 31 points in the regular season) and 1991 (gave up 60 points in the regular season teams) as Jeff Durbin's best defenses. The 2010 team was very good offensively...but the 1988, 1991, 1999, and the 2004 team were just so good on defense that very few teams could move the ball.
Great analysis, I agree!
Old 07-10-17, 12:38 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Seconding 2000 Perry, can't believe I forgot about them. That whole era was filled with great talent in the big schools. 2017 could be a mini version of one of those years, with D1 commits at McKinley and Jackson and tough squads expected out of Hoover and Perry. Hopefully no week 11 sweep in Region 1 this time.
I'm all for seeing that.

Ever since I found out Hoover dropped to D2 all I can think about is another Hoover/Massillon game. I know Hoover has been in a slump for 6 of the last 7 years and Massillon has failed to do much in D2 but the idea that both teams get to week 11, 12 or 13 and face off would be sweet. Also a Hoover/Lake playoff game could be must-see as well.

As far as D1 goes I wish the teams in Stark weren't matched up against the Super Powers in Iggy and Eds but would love to see one of take down Goliath the only problem is there are two of them and Solon is no slouch.
Old 07-10-17, 07:22 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I'm all for seeing that.

Ever since I found out Hoover dropped to D2 all I can think about is another Hoover/Massillon game. I know Hoover has been in a slump for 6 of the last 7 years and Massillon has failed to do much in D2 but the idea that both teams get to week 11, 12 or 13 and face off would be sweet. Also a Hoover/Lake playoff game could be must-see as well.

As far as D1 goes I wish the teams in Stark weren't matched up against the Super Powers in Iggy and Eds but would love to see one of take down Goliath the only problem is there are two of them and Solon is no slouch.
I agree! A Massillon/Hoover and Lake/Hoover or Massillon game would draw some great crowds! Would love to see anyone one of these three games happen this year.
Old 07-10-17, 08:18 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
I agree! A Massillon/Hoover and Lake/Hoover or Massillon game would draw some great crowds! Would love to see anyone one of these three games happen this year.
I do not see any of those games this year other then Hoover playing at Lake Oct 6, 2017
Old 07-10-17, 08:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I do not see any of those games this year other then Hoover playing at Lake Oct 6, 2017
I'm talking about the playoffs BSO!
Old 07-10-17, 08:46 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
I'm talking about the playoffs BSO!
I know and I answered your playoff idea...lol...just look forward to Oct 6th...will be the only time this year
Old 07-12-17, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

y2h is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I know and I answered your playoff idea...lol...just look forward to Oct 6th...will be the only time this year
Lake and Massillon aren't making the playoffs this year?
Old 07-12-17, 04:48 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Lake and Massillon aren't making the playoffs this year?
One of them sure isn't I'll tell you that.
Old 07-12-17, 05:16 PM
All Ohio

Scipio
1974 Canton McKinley Bulldogs.
State Champion Warren Harding's only loss.
Old 07-14-17, 02:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Sure, but couldn't we go back to the 50s and start picking out Massillon or McKinley squads that would annihilate any team from the playoff era? Or those teams a hundred years ago that had guys in their 20s playing? The 1999 Lake Blue Streaks didn't have the option to schedule the 1974 McKinley Bulldogs.

Some other Fed teams that may not have been deserving of a title, but were pretty good and had their playoff lives cut short:

1990 Jackson - could have been 10-0 but lost a fluky game to Wooster. Lost by a touchdown to Massillon in the first round after the refs spotted the Tigers a free score.

2002 Perry - almost did in a very good Massillon squad, taking the lead with a minute or two left if I recall correctly before giving up a last second field goal? Was this Wakefield's last season?

2003 Hoover - basically gave up next to no points in the regular season. Went 10-0 for the first time in ages, breaking their curse. Lost to Wadsworth in the second round of the playoffs in a come-from-behind game that Hoover had in the bag.

2004 Lake - lost in the regional final to eventual undefeated state champion Columbus Brookhaven. Beat D1 state runner-up McKinley.

2004 GlenOak - The Hartline-to-Hartline connection. Couldn't get past McKinley, losing by 10 pts each time.

2006 McKinley - Lost by a score to Mentor in the state semi-finals.
Good list.

Jackson was jobbed in 1990.

Perry was screwed in that 2002 game when Perry resident D Jordan caught a pass out of bounds that allowed the Tigers to kick a game winning FG.

Hoover 2003 defense was the quickest I have seen from a Hoover team. That Wadsworth loss was just a snowball effect. Hoover led that game 27-7 shortly before half (and Wads TD was a flee flicker). Wads scored before the half and it just got uglier. I think if those two teams played 100 times Hoover wins 98 or 99 times but that is the game.

2004 Lake wasn't their QB injured real late in the Louisville game with the game decided?

2006 McKinley ~ I went to that game and it seemed McK was the better team but Mentor made some plays on both sides of the ball late to win it. I remember McKinley not being able to punch it in from point blank range.

2001 Jackson though still intrigues me. They handled Hoover in the regular season winning 20-10 and Hoover was even ahead 10-7 at the half if I recall and I remember looking at y2h and I felt Hoover was down 2 scores. Rohr was unstoppable in the wind and late snow. The rematch was a defensive struggle. Neither team got to even to 200 yds of offense. Not sure Hoover was the better team that year but Ithink it was more of the case of Hertler having Mauro's number. I think a Jackson/Massillon playoff game would have been interesting (obviously if Russ Close doesn't get hurt in the Hoover game assuming they won). I'm pretty positive they would have snuffed out the Tiger running game and it would come down to if Rohr and White could hassle Zwick enough. Tiger's D almost always seems to struggle with Wing T, Option offenses. So Jackson had the advantage with ball control eating up the clock and as good as Abdul became I liked Hirschman (sp?) better as a clutch kicker.
Old 07-14-17, 02:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Proud 64 View Post
2008 GlenOak
Despite Hoover winning both matchups. Damn they were tough.
Old 07-14-17, 06:04 AM
All Region

BuckeyeUrban is on a distinguished road
It will always be the 1991 Lake Blue Streaks for me. That team was talented at every position on the field. Shutout a bigger, undefeated Jackson team to win the Federal League then came back in Week 10 to beat another D1 power in Toledo St. John's. Knocked off mighty Big Red in the state seminfinals at old Fawcett Stadium for the first time in school history. In the state final vs a very good Fostoria squad, Coach Durbin never made the necessary halftime adjustments on offense to win that game.
Old 07-14-17, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Good list.

Jackson was jobbed in 1990.

Perry was screwed in that 2002 game when Perry resident D Jordan caught a pass out of bounds that allowed the Tigers to kick a game winning FG.

Hoover 2003 defense was the quickest I have seen from a Hoover team. That Wadsworth loss was just a snowball effect. Hoover led that game 27-7 shortly before half (and Wads TD was a flee flicker). Wads scored before the half and it just got uglier. I think if those two teams played 100 times Hoover wins 98 or 99 times but that is the game.

2004 Lake wasn't their QB injured real late in the Louisville game with the game decided?

2006 McKinley ~ I went to that game and it seemed McK was the better team but Mentor made some plays on both sides of the ball late to win it. I remember McKinley not being able to punch it in from point blank range.

2001 Jackson though still intrigues me. They handled Hoover in the regular season winning 20-10 and Hoover was even ahead 10-7 at the half if I recall and I remember looking at y2h and I felt Hoover was down 2 scores. Rohr was unstoppable in the wind and late snow. The rematch was a defensive struggle. Neither team got to even to 200 yds of offense. Not sure Hoover was the better team that year but Ithink it was more of the case of Hertler having Mauro's number. I think a Jackson/Massillon playoff game would have been interesting (obviously if Russ Close doesn't get hurt in the Hoover game assuming they won). I'm pretty positive they would have snuffed out the Tiger running game and it would come down to if Rohr and White could hassle Zwick enough. Tiger's D almost always seems to struggle with Wing T, Option offenses. So Jackson had the advantage with ball control eating up the clock and as good as Abdul became I liked Hirschman (sp?) better as a clutch kicker.
Talk about a trip down memory lane -- whew!

2002 Perry: I forgot all about that but now that you remind me, I can practically hear the WHBC call. That Perry team was for real. As was Massillon, I think their '02 squad was better than the '05 squad.

2003 Hoover: Classic panic scenario. Hoover would normally win 9+ times out of 10, absolutely. '08 Hoover gets the attention for the state semi-final appearance but I really think '03 Hoover was better. I'm biased towards defensive teams, but their ceiling seemed a lot higher to me.

2004 Lake: I'm not sure about the QB injury, but I think you're right. Amazing that that team (and the '99 and '10 teams) did not grab a share of the FLC. Lake has been to the playoffs nine times (!) since their last FLC in '98.

2001 Jackson: The week 10 game is on YouTube somewhere, and it reminded me of how crushing Jackson's defense was. Teams would struggle to get rushing yardage higher than in the single digits. I hesitate to blame Mauro in the 10-9 game since Rohr had been playing with a stinger since the first quarter, and that Hoover team was just very good in their own right. But that having been said, at least one of the three Jax field goals was just a couple yards out. Mauro was pathologically incapable of taking risk, especially against Hertler. Worst case scenario you bury Riefsnyder deep or in his own endzone and have an excellent chance at a safety or another short field. As far as an '01 Jackson/Massillon game... that was the infamous "team picture" year, and would have been something. I do think Jackson was capable of hanging with any team they would have encountered going forward. Kind of like the '15/'16 Perry squads, but at a D1 level.
Old 07-14-17, 11:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Talk about a trip down memory lane -- whew!

2002 Perry: I forgot all about that but now that you remind me, I can practically hear the WHBC call. That Perry team was for real. As was Massillon, I think their '02 squad was better than the '05 squad.

2003 Hoover: Classic panic scenario. Hoover would normally win 9+ times out of 10, absolutely. '08 Hoover gets the attention for the state semi-final appearance but I really think '03 Hoover was better. I'm biased towards defensive teams, but their ceiling seemed a lot higher to me.

2004 Lake: I'm not sure about the QB injury, but I think you're right. Amazing that that team (and the '99 and '10 teams) did not grab a share of the FLC. Lake has been to the playoffs nine times (!) since their last FLC in '98.

2001 Jackson: The week 10 game is on YouTube somewhere, and it reminded me of how crushing Jackson's defense was. Teams would struggle to get rushing yardage higher than in the single digits. I hesitate to blame Mauro in the 10-9 game since Rohr had been playing with a stinger since the first quarter, and that Hoover team was just very good in their own right. But that having been said, at least one of the three Jax field goals was just a couple yards out. Mauro was pathologically incapable of taking risk, especially against Hertler. Worst case scenario you bury Riefsnyder deep or in his own endzone and have an excellent chance at a safety or another short field. As far as an '01 Jackson/Massillon game... that was the infamous "team picture" year, and would have been something. I do think Jackson was capable of hanging with any team they would have encountered going forward. Kind of like the '15/'16 Perry squads, but at a D1 level.
If the 2010 lake team didn't suffer I believe 7 or so injuries to their starters, they no doubt grab a piece of that FLC. Granted Hoover and Perry both played exceptional games to beat them, but if it weren't due to lake having an abundance of injuries neither had no business beating Lake that year.
Old 07-14-17, 03:41 PM
Freshman

WSAImpact is on a distinguished road
1994 was the year Louisville lost to Canton McKinley and West Branch-the eventual state champion. The Beacon Journal felt that if the Leopards had beaten McKinley, they would not lose another game that year.