Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: How many wins for the Tiger in 17
4 19 33.93%
6 14 25.00%
6 18 32.14%
10+ 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-17, 10:40 AM
All Region

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23xTigers View Post
Massillon is still a recognizable name and it may not be as shiny as it was in the past, but it still carries more weight than insert any high school besides Ed,Ignatius,Elder,X,or Moeller. Just truth. Go Tigers.
How about LaSalle, Hoban, Steubenville, Canton Central Catholic, SVSM? When you have to go back four and a half decades since your last title, your "perspective" is historical, not contemporary.
Old 07-05-17, 11:36 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
I have another question. If it carries "more weight" than any other high school than what you've named why has our last three coaching searches been nothing short of -----show? With NUMEROUS coaches throughout the state turning us down to the point that the morons in the Booster Club had to go out on some private debacle to land Moore? With a boatload of financial incentives at that where we SURE haven't made our return on investment. Not even close.
Old 07-05-17, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Mentor? Hilliard Davidson? Glenville? Mooney? McKinley? Huber Heights Wayne?
Old 07-05-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Mentor? Hilliard Davidson? Glenville? Mooney? McKinley? Huber Heights Wayne?
Uh some public school near Cincinnati, called Colerain or something like that.
Old 07-05-17, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh some public school near Cincinnati, called Colerain or something like that.
Other than 2004, they're quite "Massillon-esque" in that we all hear about them every year but they never break through. I was referring to jobs possibly above Massillon in the respect pecking order.
Old 07-05-17, 02:04 PM
All Region

23xTigers is on a distinguished road
Nice to see you guys got jokes....
Old 07-05-17, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Not a joke. Just an OBJECTIVE assessment as opposed to one through orange tinted glasses. I'd love to see Massillon return to being a state power as NEO football is more fun when they're good, but the reality is that there's nothing to distinguish the program from most other schools these days other than its successes from the 30's through the 60's.
Old 07-05-17, 02:52 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
I could see 7-3 regular season and probably a win maybe 2 in the playoffs.

I picked the second 6 because I think 8 wins is the best bet.
Old 07-05-17, 04:09 PM
All Region

MassillonMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I have another question. If it carries "more weight" than any other high school than what you've named why has our last three coaching searches been nothing short of -----show? With NUMEROUS coaches throughout the state turning us down to the point that the morons in the Booster Club had to go out on some private debacle to land Moore? With a boatload of financial incentives at that where we SURE haven't made our return on investment. Not even close.
One could argue the answer to your question of why its been a ****show is because the entire thing is run by a bunch of idiots.
Old 07-05-17, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Other than 2004, they're quite "Massillon-esque" in that we all hear about them every year but they never break through. I was referring to jobs possibly above Massillon in the respect pecking order.
Uh Colerain has won the GMC league championship for UH I don't know maybe 15 years in a row. Colerains problem is they have to play the all-star teams in the GCL in the playoffs. When you have to compete against 3 county all-star teams it could be a problem.
Old 07-05-17, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
I thought is was the 3 state all-stars, who have apparent allowable addresses.
Old 07-05-17, 05:42 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
Massillon is yuge on the resume. Look at the jump Jason Hall made after winning more games than any Tiger coach since the color television. Just think of where Nate and Becca can leap to after another sub-par season. Maybe Mason will open up
Old 07-05-17, 07:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
. When you have to compete against 3 county all-star teams it could be a problem.
Exactly the reason Massillon doesn't have 5 or 6 more State Titles in the trophy case.
Old 07-05-17, 07:17 PM
All Region

Quote:
Not a joke. Just an OBJECTIVE assessment as opposed to one through orange tinted glasses. I'd love to see Massillon return to being a state power as NEO football is more fun when they're good, but the reality is that there's nothing to distinguish the program from most other schools these days other than its successes from the 30's through the 60's.
So you're discounting all the great Massillon teams of the 80s and 90s? And the few interspersed throughout the 2000s? That's a bit short sighted in my opinion.
Old 07-05-17, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh Colerain has won the GMC league championship for UH I don't know maybe 15 years in a row. Colerains problem is they have to play the all-star teams in the GCL in the playoffs. When you have to compete against 3 county all-star teams it could be a problem.
Go Cardinals.
Old 07-06-17, 12:34 AM
All Ohio

falguin is on a distinguished road
Why people are counting Massillon out is puzzling. Moore has had a couple of decent years. There were some struggles, but that is to be expected. In year three is when it needs to be turned on, and I expect it to. Looking at its schedule, Massillon should be able to beat every team except Mentor. There might be too much firepower there, but the rest are winnable games. I think the Tigers will go 8-2, losing to Mentor and I hope Fitch, but the other loss might also come against Glen Oak or ASVSM. Harding was a one man show last year, and he is gone. McKinley is a game that Massillon should win. Fitch just does not have any size or D I talent. The Falcons will be tough, but Massillon will out man the Falcons unfortunately. If they get in the playoffs, I think the Tigers will win at least two games. No one in DII in Notheast Ohio is that good.
Old 07-06-17, 06:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Nice to see you guys got jokes....
Oh wait - you were joking now? LOL

Was the entire post a joke about Massillon still being an important brand?

When you say "Just truth" is that the truth or a joke?

Were you joking in any of your other posts about Massillon's importance or just this one?
Old 07-06-17, 06:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
So you're discounting all the great Massillon teams of the 80s and 90s? And the few interspersed throughout the 2000s? That's a bit short sighted in my opinion.
He was just joking.
Old 07-06-17, 08:38 AM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Bea..... first of all no players have been "beaten" in the Big Red program. If your thinking a face mask shaking is a beating then you are indeed a sissy. Are the kids treated tough and worked at an unbelievable level.... yes, but for you to perpetuate the falsehood that Big Red players get beaten.
I must agree, cracking a kid in the cojones on the sideline isn't beating the kid, it's called reshaping his priorities!! Geesh, there's video proof of this.

Old 07-06-17, 08:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Oh wait - you were joking now? LOL

Was the entire post a joke about Massillon still being an important brand?

When you say "Just truth" is that the truth or a joke?

Were you joking in any of your other posts about Massillon's importance or just this one?

Massillon is a brand and a recognizable brand, that is not up for debate. Has the brand taken a hit over the last decade, absolutely. That solely rests with the clowns that have been entrusted to run the program. You're trying to make the argument because we have struggled as of late we aren't a recognizable name in high school football? That is like saying Notre Dame is no longer a significant brand or Michigan before Harbaugh is not significant? Not the case, these programs,like ours will experience down turns, but make no mistake the pedigree is still there and under the right direction these programs have everything necessary in place to absolutely thrive. That just the truth, the foundation has already been poured and is rock solid to build upon, once we get the right architect look out. Go Tigers!
Old 07-06-17, 09:25 AM
All World

Yes, down in the dumps the last decade, geesh. Let's review, made playoffs 7 of last 10 years, had a mishap with OHSAA. Is that really much different than the decade before it? About the same, overall, had a problem with OHSAA in '99 and made the playoffs at about the same rate. Decade before that, ditto, except made the playoffs less times. Truth, Massillon is about as good as any school could wish for, given their size drop. That's just not good enough for the old-timers who still think they should be world beaters year in and year out, get the real perspective. Massillon is on par to have their 8th decade in a row winning 80 games or more, quite the accomplishment for a program that, by everyone else's opinion, is washed up and irrelevant since 1972, but let's forget all that and claim they stink comparatively. I am a Massillon fan, but, all of this is the epitome of a very spoiled and unrealistic fan base, period. Be proud they still make the playoffs at over a 70% clip, be happy they have won over 80 games per decade for so many decades. Try looking at the glass as half full, not close to empty.

Old 07-06-17, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Massillon is a brand and a recognizable brand, that is not up for debate. Has the brand taken a hit over the last decade, absolutely. That solely rests with the clowns that have been entrusted to run the program. You're trying to make the argument because we have struggled as of late we aren't a recognizable name in high school football? That is like saying Notre Dame is no longer a significant brand or Michigan before Harbaugh is not significant? Not the case, these programs,like ours will experience down turns, but make no mistake the pedigree is still there and under the right direction these programs have everything necessary in place to absolutely thrive. That just the truth, the foundation has already been poured and is rock solid to build upon, once we get the right architect look out. Go Tigers!
23xTigers, I think the other thing that's not up for debate is that Massillon is a very different place than the Massillon in it's football heyday and that materially effects the quality and numbers of players at Massillon. In a thriving economy when the plants were booming, people came there for jobs and so that their top notch football player kids could play football for one of the nation's premier programs. That's no longer a factor.
Old 07-06-17, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Yes, down in the dumps the last decade, geesh. Let's review, made playoffs 7 of last 10 years, had a mishap with OHSAA. Is that really much different than the decade before it? About the same, overall, had a problem with OHSAA in '99 and made the playoffs at about the same rate. Decade before that, ditto, except made the playoffs less times. Truth, Massillon is about as good as any school could wish for, given their size drop. That's just not good enough for the old-timers who still think they should be world beaters year in and year out, get the real perspective. Massillon is on par to have their 9th decade in a row winning 80 games or more, quite the accomplishment for a program that, by everyone else's opinion, is washed up and irrelevant since 1972, but let's forget all that and claim they stink comparatively. I am a Massillon fan, but, all of this is the epitome of a very spoiled and unrealistic fan base, period. Be proud they still make the playoffs at over a 70% clip, be happy they have won over 80 games per decade for so many decades. Try looking at the glass as half full, not close to empty.

Well said Striker.
Old 07-06-17, 09:48 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Striker pretty well hit the nail on the head. The only thing he didn't bring up though was the last two one and done play-off appearances. The first the aftermath of a Nike circus delivering new uniforms at mid-field for the play-off game. The result? Some freaking team I've never heard of (no offense) laying a 50+ spot on us. Second game? From all accounts I hear beaten by a team that had half the talent of us. All I can go by there are NUMEROUS accounts telling me the same thing consistently. As far as making the play-offs today Dear God if you are breathing you almost are assured a spot. Anyway, good post Striker.
Old 07-06-17, 10:39 AM
Junior Varsity

AuntBea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Bea..... first of all no players have been "beaten" in the Big Red program. If your thinking a face mask shaking is a beating then you are indeed a sissy. Are the kids treated tough and worked at an unbelievable level.... yes, but for you to perpetuate the falsehood that Big Red players get beaten.
Unfortunately for you if an ADULT would not do that in FRONT of a police officer than being on a football field on TV is not the place either. Any other town except Stueb. that would be classified as an Assault. Unfortunately Stueb. has a long history of looking the other way when it comes to appropriate behavior due to the fact that they still think that a HS team that is down on its luck is worth bending the rules of normal society.
Old 07-06-17, 11:03 AM
All Region

Striker, is that what the standard should be just to get to the playoffs and beat teams you're supposed to beat anyway? We have everything necessary to win and compete at a high level consistently, especially in DII. There is no viable excuse not to, we have a beautiful stadium, great facilities, a rabid supportive fan base and a historical pedigree that is unrivalled in the State. Boil it down, what more do you need? Yeah I know the economy isn't the same, but it is that way across the board, we aren't in a isolated part of the State. We can't be willing to accept mediocrity, there is a difference in a high standard and unattainable.
Old 07-06-17, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
PHP Code:
We have everything necessary to win and compete at a high level consistentlyespecially in DIIThere is no viable excuse not towe have a beautiful stadiumgreat facilitiesa rabid supportive fan base and a historical pedigree that is unrivalled in the State
Those do not win games. Ditto helicopters and shiny helmets.

PHP Code:
Boil it downwhat more do you need
Players win games. With good coaching and chemistry.

In the past 12 years the 2005 team and 2012 I believe would easily contend for a title, as well as 2-3 others. All were > the past 2. I believe we will have talented teams such as those again, albeit fewer and further between. How about we put away the For Sale signs and Barbershop Gang bs and be that "rabid supportive fan base" you pretend exists. It unavoidably filters to the team.
Old 07-06-17, 12:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
PHP Code:
We have everything necessary to win and compete at a high level consistentlyespecially in DIIThere is no viable excuse not towe have a beautiful stadiumgreat facilitiesa rabid supportive fan base and a historical pedigree that is unrivalled in the State
Those do not win games. Ditto helicopters and shiny helmets.

PHP Code:
Boil it downwhat more do you need
Players win games. With good coaching and chemistry.

In the past 12 years the 2005 team and 2012 I believe would easily contend for a title, as well as 2-3 others. All were > the past 2. I believe we will have talented teams such as those again, albeit fewer and further between. How about we put away the For Sale signs and Barbershop Gang bs and be that "rabid supportive fan base" you pretend exists. It unavoidably filters to the team.
Like it are not all the things I listed are necessary ingredients to build a successful program, it attracts good players/coaches, it's not the only ingredient, but it is necessary. For whatever reason I just can't understand why people think mediocrity should be the new standard for Massillon, when we should be a juggernaut, especially in DII.
Old 07-06-17, 12:44 PM
All World

1987 thru 1996, 6 times in the playoffs, 1997 thru 2006, 6 times in the playoffs, 2007 thru 2016, 7 times in the playoffs, that isn't mediocrity, unless there are unreal expectations. Mediocre programs don't make the playoffs 6-7 times every 10 years. Considering that mediocre is the perfect example of being a spoiled fan base. Accept that Massillon isn't going to be the dominant team they were when the town was booming, those days are long gone. Be proud that, continually, a competitive program is put on the field yearly, making the playoffs most years, nobody makes it every year, look it up. Massillon has a record over the last 45 years to be proud of, not to be remorseful and resentful and looking for people to point the finger at. The childish and spoiled act by fans needs to end, grow up and move forward into this century, Massillon is still a respected and winning program, the fan base is what gets hated on because they are arrogant and childlike with their outlook.

Old 07-06-17, 12:57 PM
All World

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
1987 thru 1996, 6 times in the playoffs, 1997 thru 2006, 6 times in the playoffs, 2007 thru 2016, 7 times in the playoffs, that isn't mediocrity, unless there are unreal expectations. Mediocre programs don't make the playoffs 6-7 times every 10 years. Considering that mediocre is the perfect example of being a spoiled fan base. Accept that Massillon isn't going to be the dominant team they were when the town was booming, those days are long gone. Be proud that, continually, a competitive program is put on the field yearly, making the playoffs most years, nobody makes it every year, look it up. Massillon has a record over the last 45 years to be proud of, not to be remorseful and resentful and looking for people to point the finger at. The childish and spoiled act by fans needs to end, grow up and move forward into this century, Massillon is still a respected and winning program, the fan base is what gets hated on because they are arrogant and childlike with their outlook.

Some in the Masillon camp are FINALLY starting to see things with some perspective.