Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-06-17, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Your opinion is outnumbered by Hoban alumni, and schools in the diocese of Cleveland.

You live in a dream world.
Yet, despite this overwhelming majority, absolutely nothing gets done about the issues you claim (kind of like all of those recruiting violations you told us about ad infinitum).
Old 07-06-17, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's not my call..that was OHSAAs call. The joke was on them after the meeting in Stow. There was just talking and no walking. It's like the European Union being soft as a pillow.

It's too late it's a takeover. Nobody can stop the triumvirate at Hoban. They control everything in the school. If you don't agree with them..you're SOL collecting unemployment.
Hmmmmmm. A while back a number of alumni at Hoban's rival didn't like the direction of the school and they stood up, did something about it, and changes were made for the better. There may well be problems at Hoban (e.g. treating personnel poorly), but internet sniping does little to change those problems.

I think it was MLK that said "in the face of power, you should just give up and resign yourself to defeat."
Old 07-06-17, 10:45 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Your opinion is outnumbered by Hoban alumni, and schools in the diocese of Cleveland.

You live in a dream world.
I live in realville. I see what Hoban has done for my child and those I am affiliated with and I couldn't be happier. Hoban was the best thing to ever happen for our family. I really don't care about disgruntled alumni or schools in the diocese who may be jealous over a few state championships.
Old 07-07-17, 08:55 AM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Not sure how he has hurt the school with a win at all costs attitude. Could you explain? I have seen high level athletes have to transfer out to the public school system because they could not remain eligible. I have also seen numerous students transfer back to their home schools because they could not earn playing time. And some transfer back due to the simple costs it takes to go to a private. I think Hoban works hard to give everyone a chance at a private Christ based education but it doesn't do anyone any good if they cannot do the work or thrive in that type of environment. I have only met Mike Delmedico a few times but he comes across as a professional and empathetic human being who loves Hoban and represents it well. Also it seems to me that all of Hobans athletic teams are thriving, not just football.
I have known Mike Delmedico a little bit personally and a whole lot professionally for the better part of 30 years. I have a very high opinion of him. He is a very smart and dedicated professional. I can't speak one way or the other about his tenure at Hoban because I don't know the details. However I would expect the truth to fall somewhere in between DB' s and Cougarfan' s unbiased points of view!
Old 07-07-17, 09:09 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdodgers View Post
Regarding St. Ignatius, is it a multi year deal or just single like St. Eds? I thought St. Ed's only wanted a one year game given this years commitments (2017) and to capitulate for a single game agreed to play at Hoban. I don't know that for fact.

Hoban will be fine. A bit of a bummer that they have an open week I believe. Some will say extra week to prep for St. V., but I actually think that advantage goes to Irish if healthy and have momentum.

I am excited to see what happens at the QB position. Should be fun to watch. Oh I forgot, not supposed to talk about fun and sports on these threads. Not meant at all posters before torches and pitchforks are brought out. Duck is out.
Did someone drop out of Hoban' s Week 4 or was that always open? Looking at the Knight's schedule, it looks tough at the beginning, but not so much in the second half of the season. Although if Benedictine rebounds, that view could change. Part of it is conference affiliation. One way or the other, overall, I think my Irish face a much tougher schedule than our Hoban counterparts.
Old 07-07-17, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Did someone drop out of Hoban' s Week 4 or was that always open? Looking at the Knight's schedule, it looks tough at the beginning, but not so much in the second half of the season. Although if Benedictine rebounds, that view could change. Part of it is conference affiliation. One way or the other, overall, I think my Irish face a much tougher schedule than our Hoban counterparts.
Eeek, actual football talk?
Old 07-07-17, 10:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Eeek, actual football talk?
Oops! I forgot myself! By all means, please ignore my last post and continue deifying or demonizing the Hoban coaches and administration as you deem appropriate.
Old 07-07-17, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oops! I forgot myself! By all means, please ignore my last post and continue deifying or demonizing the Hoban coaches and administration as you deem appropriate.
You must be new here. LOL.
Old 07-07-17, 12:50 PM
All Region

Quote:
Yea the open date has always been there. McKinley dropped off and Ignatious and Mooney was added. Columbus Desales was contacted as they had an Open date on week 4 but wouldn't schedule Hoban. A loss wouldn't benefit them at all. Hoban has been looking for months but most schools are in conference play by week 4. Probably will stay open.

St V and Hoban schedule pretty close I would think. Hoban with Ignatious D1 and St V with Lasalle D2 Remainer of schedule for both pretty close. I would give the edge to Hoban with the easier schedule because of a lack of week 4. Although playing North for St V is an open week too. Barberton should be pretty good.
Old 07-07-17, 02:00 PM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Yea the open date has always been there. McKinley dropped off and Ignatious and Mooney was added. Columbus Desales was contacted as they had an Open date on week 4 but wouldn't schedule Hoban. A loss wouldn't benefit them at all. Hoban has been looking for months but most schools are in conference play by week 4. Probably will stay open.

St V and Hoban schedule pretty close I would think. Hoban with Ignatious D1 and St V with Lasalle D2 Remainer of schedule for both pretty close. I would give the edge to Hoban with the easier schedule because of a lack of week 4. Although playing North for St V is an open week too. Barberton should be pretty good.
Ignatius. Thank you, and good luck to the Knights this year.
Old 07-07-17, 02:10 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
St V and Hoban schedule pretty close I would think. Hoban with Ignatious D1 and St V with Lasalle D2 Remainer of schedule for both pretty close

Put down the Koolaid and stop sniffing the Bill Board Paint!!!

Hoban
Common Opponents for both Hoban & STVM Ursuline, Mooney, Walsh Jesuit.
Independent- Ignatius (D1 State runner up) who lost to ST. Xavier who lost to LaSalle 17-14
NCL- Benny, Padua, Lake Catholic, Traditionally strong programs all in Rebuild Mode. NDCL is coming off a strong season is now back to reality in D3 Region 9. 5 of 9 of the Hoban Opponents are potential Playoff Teams. Why no local schools (Outside of STVM and WJ) on the 2017 schedule

STVM
Opponents- Dresden Tri Valley Akron Buchtel Barberton Massillon Cincinnati Lasalle (3 Time D2 Defending State Champions) all are potential playoff Teams that could win or finish no less than 2nd in the NCL.

Ursuline, Mooney and Hoban are also potential Playoff Teams. 8 out of 10 Opponents are potential playoff Teams
Old 07-08-17, 11:22 AM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
They thought they had found a team from the western part of the country to come in for week 4, but it seems to have fallen through. Week 4 will likely remain open.
Old 07-08-17, 04:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
From my understanding years ago, Hoban reported Wiggins on something that happened when he was at STVM (I think it was something about a fundraiser for the weight room). I don't think he will touch Hoban if even if they were struggling to win games during the 2010-2013 years. Wiggins is a great guy. If I knew a team is losing it's QB, Collier left, and a freshmen QB might be starting, I would consider it.
Desales wouldn't schedule Hoban because they lost about 80% of their team from last year. Losing Collier hurt but Hoban has a stable of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Freshman QB looked good at camp and you will see a different offensive approach this year. Shorter throwing game and more offensive options with the run and pass. Hoban's defense looks athletic and fast. More so than the past 2 years. Offensive line may be the best in the state and 2 D1 receivers will help bring the freshman along. And I don't think he will blink at the chance to start with that talent beside and in front of him.
Old 07-09-17, 08:22 AM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
So the week 1 QB is going to be a freshman from 50 miles away who was redshirted in middle school?
Old 07-09-17, 12:20 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=DB 04;6787684]I'm telling you it has to more to do with the bad blood from a past incident.

We will see how they look against Iggy. The team has a huge test week 1

Yes. Biggest test of regular season to be sure.

Not sure how you can say for sure that bad blood with a coach in Columbus who used to coach at St V would cause him not to schedule a game? It would seem to me that a coach who had a grudge would want to pound the school with whom the grudge was with, not dodge them? especially if you are a competitor.
Old 07-09-17, 12:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
So the week 1 QB is going to be a freshman from 50 miles away who was redshirted in middle school?
I am not saying he will be the starter only that he looked good at camp and that it wouldn't surprise me. Anything can happen once the pads go on
Old 07-09-17, 01:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
I'm telling you it has to more to do with the bad blood from a past incident.

We will see how they look against Iggy. The team has a huge test week 1.
They'll be good, regardless of what happens week 1. One loss isn't going to change the trajectory of their season. They have a lot of returning talent, and whether or not they can compete for another state championship will probably be determined by the level of competence they get from the QB position. Last year's defense was really special, so I don't know that they can reach that level this year, but it will still be very good. Need to avoid the injury bug, as the depth isn't great, but it's usually not at schools their size.
Old 07-09-17, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

Seems to me that if Wiggins is the guy DB purports him to be he'd be a big enough man not to hold a grudge for that long
Old 07-09-17, 08:25 PM
Freshman

ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
So who are the other players competing for the QB position? Also about the redshirt comment, the QB that you will be rooting for in a couple years at OSU was "redshirted" in 7th grade... Tate Martell
Old 07-09-17, 09:16 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Prediction - Hoban doesn't make the playoffs with a freshman starting at QB.
Old 07-09-17, 09:30 PM
Freshman

Disagree, their defense will still be solid this year (defense wins championships). The offensive line is one of the best in the state, with two B1G recruits in Rumler and Kelly. RB they lost Collier but the freshman last year running seemed pretty good and they have two D1 WR. Pretty talented team.. which would help a freshman QB adjust, but still would be a tall task to compete for a state championship again. If he starts I'd expect Hoban to be similar to St. V last year by surviving with their defense and probably relying on the run for the most part to score.
Old 07-09-17, 09:38 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
If they had an easy schedule, it wouldn't be that big of a deal but I'm betting he makes more mistakes than positive plays this year and it will cost them a couple games. They don't make the playoffs at 5-5 or 6-4.
Old 07-09-17, 09:44 PM
Freshman

Very true. Never a good reason to start a freshman QB. Such a big jump from middle school to high school. Has to be a really special talent to make that jump.
Old 07-09-17, 10:39 PM
All Region

The most I could see them losing is 3 games if they were to really struggle for some reason, but I would guess 7-2 (only likely to have 9 gm season). But, if they get to league play with just 1 loss, I still don't see much of a threat in the NCL. Special teams will be something to watch, they basically haven't had to cover a kick-off for two years, and any FG up to 50 yards was a very high percentage play. The new kicker is well above your average HS kicker, but he doesn't have the same leg, so they'll need to be good covering kicks.
Old 07-10-17, 01:02 AM
All American

The Schedule is not that difficult. Iggys is legit and huge up front with the better Offensive Line. Their 2nd toughest opponent will be STVM. Hoban is favored in every other game. Mooney returns their QB and O-Line but must replace all their Skills. Ursuline was less than impressive in 2016. The NCL is way down and the Knights should beat every team by a minimum of two TD's. They can make a deep playoff run in D2 and should be the favorite in Region 5. With advent of Competitive balance D3 offers a long list of talented teams vs D2.
Old 07-10-17, 11:45 AM
Junior Varsity

ksu315 is on a distinguished road
Couple things. The QB is a freshmen but he'll be 16 this calendar year. he may be 16 already I don't know. So he could be young junior or old soph. physically he'll be fine as a strong kid. As his 18 minute highlight showed and from what I saw only 20-30 yds downfield arm strength wise. However, an offense with 5 jets sweeps or pitches to houser and bauer and a couple cracks with each of them running fly patterns will be fine. Oline very good and Rb's are well above average. Defense will be flat out good. Injuries always wild card as both wr's have hamstrings issues this summer and stud DE has cast on hand.

As for DB04 he's not off the reservation on some of his takes on whats happening on the school front.
Old 07-10-17, 02:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
The Schedule is not that difficult. Iggys is legit and huge up front with the better Offensive Line. Their 2nd toughest opponent will be STVM. Hoban is favored in every other game. Mooney returns their QB and O-Line but must replace all their Skills. Ursuline was less than impressive in 2016. The NCL is way down and the Knights should beat every team by a minimum of two TD's. They can make a deep playoff run in D2 and should be the favorite in Region 5. With advent of Competitive balance D3 offers a long list of talented teams vs D2.
As a whole, CB made D3 even stronger, except in Region 9. Chardon and Aurora are nice programs, but w/o Hoban around that region has completely opened up for the Irish. But there are some really strong programs in the top end of D3, more so than D2, IMO. I thought that was the case last year, too.
Old 07-10-17, 08:16 PM
Junior Varsity

SummitCo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu315 View Post
As for DB04 he's not off the reservation on some of his takes on whats happening on the school front.
While his take might be a hair acidic at time. I have to concur. DB04's analysis is fairly accurate.
Old 07-10-17, 09:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu315 View Post
Couple things. The QB is a freshmen but he'll be 16 this calendar year. he may be 16 already I don't know. So he could be young junior or old soph. physically he'll be fine as a strong kid. As his 18 minute highlight showed and from what I saw only 20-30 yds downfield arm strength wise. However, an offense with 5 jets sweeps or pitches to houser and bauer and a couple cracks with each of them running fly patterns will be fine. Oline very good and Rb's are well above average. Defense will be flat out good. Injuries always wild card as both wr's have hamstrings issues this summer and stud DE has cast on hand.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is coaching. Best staff in the area. Coaches will have this team ready to play week 1. I expect a close game that could go either way. I don't see anyone else beating Hoban in regular season when u can't score. Defense has always been the strength and will be again this year. Look at the past 2 years and this defense may be the best overall. 10-0 if they bear IGGY, 9-1 if not. Both WR's being cleared this week and DE having cast removed too. QB may be young but 7-8 seniors will start on Offense plus the best Junior O Lineman in state. Defense will be a blur with 7 plus seniors.
Kicking game may be the only spot that lost some punch.
Old 07-11-17, 05:36 AM
All American

Best Coaching staff in the Area ??? Who spiked the Koolaid??? Maybe the best recruiting in the area....and to state Xoban is going to waltz into a 9-1 or 10-0 record. Arrogance is not a becoming trait when the cast from across the tracks is quietly reloading...365/24/7...