Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-31-17, 02:18 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I have to wonder if all this talk about an incoming freshmen QB will run off a more talented QB that was considering Hoban? Freshmen phenoms don't always turn out as predicted.
Old 05-31-17, 10:29 PM
All American

Irish60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdodgers View Post
A bit off topic but have to ask so Irish set me straight. Did Dom Davis start as a Frosh? I always thought that kid was the most underrated, or one of the most underrated, QB's when he played. Kid was a tough competitor and produced. Even though mostly Hobanite supporter, I liked watching him play.
Dom did not start as a freshman. Clayton Uecker started that year and there was a tandem of QB' s when he was a sophomore. He became the starter as a junior. And as good as he was, he struggled mightily out of the gate. If I recall correctly, he had a fitful first half against Hoban and they contemplated a switch at the half. As the story goes, Boarman challenged Davis to step up to the challenge and Davis led a second half comeback and never looked back. He was fun to watch! And he made a great choice going to Mount Union.
Old 06-02-17, 02:01 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
The list of Irish QB's has been impressive Kevin Besser (Walsh) Clayton Uecker (Akron) Aaron Bushner (Lake Erie) Dom Davis (Mount Union) and now 6-3 212 Sophomore to be Luke Lindsey (Class of 2020). The pipeline is intact for the Irish and the future is bright.
Old 06-02-17, 07:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
The list of Irish QB's has been impressive Kevin Besser (Walsh) Clayton Uecker (Akron) Aaron Bushner (Lake Erie) Dom Davis (Mount Union) and now 6-3 212 Sophomore to be Luke Lindsey (Class of 2020). The pipeline is intact for the Irish and the future is bright.
Bushner was a heckuva talent; on the gridiron and on the hardwood. But knee injuries derailed him. Every school has at least one of those "if only" stories. For the Irish, Bushner certainly falls into the "if only he were healthy" category.
Old 06-02-17, 08:44 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
I'm going way back, does anybody remember Larry Mackey ? He played in the early 60's. Saw him absolutely demolish Hoban, out at the Rubber Bowl. He made the All City team, Irish were 9-0-1 that year.
Old 06-02-17, 09:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
I'm going way back, does anybody remember Larry Mackey ? He played in the early 60's. Saw him absolutely demolish Hoban, out at the Rubber Bowl. He made the All City team, Irish were 9-0-1 that year.
That's reaching a little too far back in the time machine for me!
Old 06-03-17, 01:30 PM
All Region

smash mouth 34
Mad at myself for wasting a couple minutes watching the highlights from an 8th grader.
Old 06-03-17, 09:06 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
Mad at myself for wasting a couple minutes watching the highlights from an 8th grader.
Amen smash. At least you're not assessing their long term potential on varsity as part of a "recruiting class."
Old 06-04-17, 02:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Looked a little further into Larry Mackey. He was the Irish QB, but in 1961 he made 3rd team All-State as a half back because the talent pool was so deep at the QB position that year! So I guess it's not a new thing that the all-state teams play a little fast and loose with their selections! I believe he went on to play college ball at Michigan State.
Old 06-04-17, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

The reality of the situation is that the odds of this kid starting are very slim. Freshmen starting at the varsity level are either one in a million talents or stepping into awful situations. History tells us it happens only in the rarest of situations.
Old 06-06-17, 11:13 PM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
no one besides Tom Brady should have an 18 minute highlight tape

even Danny Clark's dad would know that
Old 06-07-17, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
how doesn't OHSAA see this stuff lol
what exactly is there to see?
Old 06-27-17, 06:40 PM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Noticed a few things from this film... Kid looks pretty good. He can run and throw and is athletic. However, half of those teams make him seem a lot better because they're not very good. I also observed that it appeared that Mooney and Ursuline have some good sized 8th graders and it is surprising this kid is going to Hoban instead of those two or AF.

On a side note, does any AF fan know why their bleachers say 2017 painted in the seats? lol
Old 06-27-17, 07:11 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Noticed a few things from this film... Kid looks pretty good. He can run and throw and is athletic. However, half of those teams make him seem a lot better because they're not very good. I also observed that it appeared that Mooney and Ursuline have some good sized 8th graders and it is surprising this kid is going to Hoban instead of those two or AF.

On a side note, does any AF fan know why their bleachers say 2017 painted in the seats? lol
Fitch has been putting the graduating year in the bleachers ever since I can remember. My boss graduated there in the early 70s and she told me it was happening in her time period.

Maybe some Mahoning Valley 'vets' can tell us when that tradition started
Old 06-27-17, 08:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

That's the running tally of district football players that have gone to Mooney or Ursuline.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 06-28-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-27-17, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Hey Hoban next time you schedule a game with someone please show up for once. Your athletic department is a complete disaster!

Hoban rescheduled a freshmen baseball game with a school twice. The second time around, this school showed up to the baseball field at Hoban and no
Hoban team team was present. Hoban claims it was never rescheduled.
Ummm, high school baseball forum?-- http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 06-28-17, 06:56 AM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Hoban QB 2017

Quote:

That was the senior class graduating year. Been doing that for decades.
Old 06-28-17, 07:56 AM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
That was the senior class graduating year. Been doing that for decades.
Got it... pretty cool tradition
Old 07-01-17, 10:26 AM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Unless your dad is a division 1 football coach, be stupid to play at a little school like Hoban if St Ed or St Ignatius comes calling. Idk what their recruiting depth chart looks like now
Stupid to play at a small school like Hoban? 2 straight state titles, finished #38 in the country according to Max Preps, multiple kids with full rides to D1, D2 & D3 schools and a great education to boot. Great facilities and arguably the best weight training facility in the state of Ohio including most colleges. 2018 class has 6 players with D1 offers currently. Not many teams in any division with that. So the youngster wants to play with a lot of talent and great facilities and a chance to win a state championship. Oh and he gets a great education.

What a stupid kid.
Old 07-01-17, 02:19 PM
All Region

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He's probably going to start.

One of the Blanchard brothers did transfer to Hoban. He is a transfer from Walsh Jesuit who played baseball and football for them. I'm pretty sure he's a senior transfer. Can someone verify that? I heard he's sitting out for 5 weeks for football.
True on the Blanchard kid.
Old 07-01-17, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

Hoban's a quality kid and it isn't 1963. If you're good, the colleges will find you regardless of where you play.
Old 07-01-17, 09:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Why? For baseball?
Not sure. If baseball is his focus, I would think he'd want to stay there. He does have friends at Hoban, and Walsh is staring at another rough football season. Maybe he wanted to have an opportunity to play for something more his senior year, but having to sit 5 games makes it an interesting choice.
Old 07-02-17, 09:15 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Walsh has a solid coach but speed is a difference maker and it's going to STVM and Hoban. With 4 State Titles in Football between the Irish and Knights since 2012 the Warriors will keep focusing their target base from Northern Summit County. Academically Walsh has done a great job. STVM has also upgraded their Academic portfolio with STEM Certification (only Catholic High School in Ohio) State Level Mock Trial, Model UN, Academic Challenge, Rocket & Robotic Programs. Marianist Religious order, world reknown Irish Dance troup, nearly 100 Memeber Marching band....etc. The Tide has turned.
Old 07-02-17, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Carl is doing great at Walsh vamping up their academic program. It was really good before, but now it's the real deal. Iggy made a mistake not hiring Carl. The athletic program just needs a few adjustments and they will be a force. Unfortunately, I see a coaching change after this year. Walsh has the best location to grab Summit, Cuyahoga, Medina, and Portage kids.
The only great athletic success I am seeing now at Walsh is in girls' soccer. There was a day not long ago that they were state and/or national powers in football, baseball, girls basketball, cross country and wrestling, but each of those programs is well off its recent peak.

Walsh football will continue to struggle. They are well coached and well equipped but quite simply are not getting the level of athletes of Hoban and SVSM.
Old 07-02-17, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
The only great athletic success I am seeing now at Walsh is in girls' soccer. There was a day not long ago that they were state and/or national powers in football, baseball, girls basketball, cross country and wrestling, but each of those programs is well off its recent peak.

Walsh football will continue to struggle. They are well coached and well equipped but quite simply are not getting the level of athletes of Hoban and SVSM.
Probably it doesnt help Walsh that its traditional recruiting grounds in northern summit county have gotten much better at football, like Hudson and Woodridge. And these schools do so well academically, especially Hudson, that its becoming harder to justify paying 10k on top of school levies to send kids to walsh, now that Walsh's sports are hardly selling points outside of girls soccer.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-17, 10:45 PM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He's probably going to start.

One of the Blanchard brothers did transfer to Hoban. He is a transfer from Walsh Jesuit who played baseball and football for them. I'm pretty sure he's a senior transfer. Can someone verify that? I heard he's sitting out for 5 weeks for football.
Serious question. Didn't there used to be some rule -- or at least some sort of policy -- that the Catholic schools didn't accept senior transfers?
Old 07-03-17, 11:46 AM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Lamar Ball II

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I just hope they didn't take lunch to him or approach him in his school. That could cause years and years of Yappi drivel with little or no consequences to the program.

An eighth grader with an 18 minute video? Give me a break dad.
What a crock!
Old 07-03-17, 09:44 PM
All Region

Quote:
Carl is doing great at Walsh vamping up their academic program. It was really good before, but now it's the real deal. Iggy made a mistake not hiring Carl. The athletic program just needs a few adjustments and they will be a force. Unfortunately, I see a coaching change after this year. Walsh has the best location to grab Summit, Cuyahoga, Medina, and Portage kids.
Correction on the Blanchard kid... the brother than transferred will be a junior this coming school year. His older brother is still at Walsh and will be a senior.
Old 07-04-17, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
Serious question. Didn't there used to be some rule -- or at least some sort of policy -- that the Catholic schools didn't accept senior transfers?
I believe that only applied when Hoban had people with integrity running the school...
Old 07-04-17, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who's the next person that the school will shaft? Karg, the admissions director, is gone...who's the replacement?
Didn't you already answer that question on a thread that got shut down?