Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-28-17, 06:25 AM
Freshman

Lux et Veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Although the senior QB does have a strong arm he did not win the position outright through his overall performance in scrimmages. It was the Freshman that threw both TD passes in the first scrimmage and also in the second scrimmage. 2 of the 3 were plus 50 yards. Freshman also showed the ability to scramble and throw on the run. Coaching staff at Hoban will play who they think is the best at that position. Grade and age doesn't come into play from what I have seen. Senior is a great kid and his opportunity may present itself at some point at QB or WR.

Fact check: It stands to reason that the freshman QB threw more touchdown passes during scrimmages since he consumed most of the playing time. Played in Louisville scrimmage for 3.5 quarters.
Old 08-28-17, 06:50 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Not true. He was never worked out for coaches. He did play in an all star game at Hoban.
Fix was in! It's been speculated since May. Freshman QB was trained by @Unrivaled Athlete, father of former QB Danny Clark. Freshman QB was congratulated as the varsity starting quarterback by Danny Clark on May 22(Twitter link attached). Attempts made during summer to break talented senior QB to justify plan already in place. When that didn't work, freshman QB was given nod based on practice and scrimmage performance' where he got most of the playing time. Team chemistry with both QBs is good, but several disagree with idea that freshman "beat out" anyone. Coach Cougarfan22 may not be hearing the decision questioned anywhere but Yappi; he obviously was not sitting in the stands on Friday night. It's all anyone was talking about.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DClarkQB/...78240412790784

Clark's dad told him year's ago young QB would be special.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DClarkQB/...73523289935872
Old 08-28-17, 07:33 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...nship-in-a-row

They had one but apparently he is easily forgotten. (2:00 mark)

The disrespect -- when the coach can't remember your name -- suggests the decision was made a long time ago. The teenaged players, including those blamed for Friday night's loss, are watching the coach. He needs to lead by better example.
Old 08-28-17, 08:24 AM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The desire to win and compete at a high level has attracted many good student athletes. Players going to play at D1 & D2 colleges also attract better athletes.
Wait, you used to say that it was the outstanding Catholic education that brought in many great players all at once. I knew that was a ruse from the beginning, and I'm glad you no longer pretend that to be the case.
Old 08-28-17, 08:26 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux et Veritas View Post
Coach Cougarfan22 may not be hearing the decision questioned anywhere but Yappi; he obviously was not sitting in the stands on Friday night. It's all anyone was talking about.
Cougar was busy at the concession stand drinking the cool-aid.
Old 08-28-17, 11:21 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
No comparison between 6-2 212 Lindsey (a year younger) than the 5-8 175 Hamm. Lindsey has a strong accurate under utilized arm. Hamm tries to guide the ball in a shotput manner.
Old 08-28-17, 05:13 PM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Fix was in! It's been speculated since May. Freshman QB was trained by @Unrivaled Athlete, father of former QB Danny Clark. Freshman QB was congratulated as the varsity starting quarterback by Danny Clark on May 22(Twitter link attached). Attempts made during summer to break talented senior QB to justify plan already in place. When that didn't work, freshman QB was given nod based on practice and scrimmage performance' where he got most of the playing time. Team chemistry with both QBs is good, but several disagree with idea that freshman "beat out" anyone. Coach Cougarfan22 may not be hearing the decision questioned anywhere but Yappi; he obviously was not sitting in the stands on Friday night. It's all anyone was talking about.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DClarkQB/...78240412790784

Clark's dad told him year's ago young QB would be special.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DClarkQB/...73523289935872

Citing D.C. Or his Dad on social media doesn't help your case. Laughable, Neither one has any influence on the decision making of the head coach. Plain and simple the freshman is better than the senior. I know it sucks for the senior but it is what it is. Yea I was in the stands and I didn't hear anyone making a case for the senior who was playing WR to move to QB. I was too busy cheering on the team than complaining about something I cannot control. Coaching staff wants to win and really don't care what the parents or fans think.
Old 08-28-17, 05:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban2019 View Post
Wait, you used to say that it was the outstanding Catholic education that brought in many great players all at once. I knew that was a ruse from the beginning, and I'm glad you no longer pretend that to be the case.
Guess you didn't see that I said student athlete. Didn't hit concession stand but I did visit the facilities at half. Also amazes me how many Hoban supporters such as yourself degrade your school and team. Could you explain that? Yea I still am very happy with the high quality education that Hoban offers all of its students and athletes.
Old 08-28-17, 05:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Fact check: It stands to reason that the freshman QB threw more touchdown passes during scrimmages since he consumed most of the playing time. Played in Louisville scrimmage for 3.5 quarters.
Fact check. Varsity only played 2 qtrs so he played 1.5 qtrs not 3.5! He earned more playing time base on what he did in practice.
Old 08-28-17, 07:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Guess you didn't see that I said student athlete. Didn't hit concession stand but I did visit the facilities at half. Also amazes me how many Hoban supporters such as yourself degrade your school and team. Could you explain that? Yea I still am very happy with the high quality education that Hoban offers all of its students and athletes.
Nice try. How is it disparaging to the school to point out that you are not objective? Everything the coach does is the correct thing. It is amazing that he or his staff never make a mistake. In reality, the coach and staff have their strengths and they have their weaknesses. You would strengthen your arguments if you would acknowledge that.

We should call you the Hoban Football Information Minister.
Old 08-28-17, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
obĚjecĚtive
əbˈjektiv
adjective
1. (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
2. a perspective seldom seen in high school football forums on Yappi.com.
Old 08-28-17, 08:31 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard-Fan View Post
Hoban attempts to disguise it's man/zone concepts. Often when a db is on the #1 and #3 receiver they're not always playing man to man. At the snap, the coordination of the Rover, ILB and FS are crucial. The SS also plays a important role in seam play. This coordination did not occur and must get better.
Thanks for the analysis. You must be a coach or former coach.

That sounds a lot better than my " hey, they've got 3 guys and we've got 2 over there."
Old 08-28-17, 08:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban2019 View Post
Nice try. How is it disparaging to the school to point out that you are not objective? Everything the coach does is the correct thing. It is amazing that he or his staff never make a mistake. In reality, the coach and staff have their strengths and they have their weaknesses. You would strengthen your arguments if you would acknowledge that.

We should call you the Hoban Football Information Minister.
What would you like me to admit Hoban2019? Say something bad about the coach? Players? Administration? My experience has been otherwise. Do the coaches make mistakes? Sure they do! Do the players? Sure. I said they didn't play with much effort after the first half. But when a team wins back to back state championships and goes 28-2 I am pretty happy. Not much to complain about. Lots of players going to go to college for free due to the program and head coach. I will try to be more objective in the future and say something negative so that you will feel better.
Old 08-28-17, 09:50 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What would you like me to admit Hoban2019? Say something bad about the coach? Players? Administration? My experience has been otherwise. Do the coaches make mistakes? Sure they do! Do the players? Sure. I said they didn't play with much effort after the first half. But when a team wins back to back state championships and goes 28-2 I am pretty happy. Not much to complain about. Lots of players going to go to college for free due to the program and head coach. I will try to be more objective in the future and say something negative so that you will feel better.
Not to write words on behalf of 2019, but I think he's saying that those of us who have been around for a while and are full tuition payers (at least I am), didn't "buy" Hoban for the championship football teams. We bought the friendly and welcoming nature of all those we met during open houses, CYO pre-season basketball tournaments and friends from our Catholic grade schools whose families previously chose Hoban a few years before us and had universally good things to say about the school. We bought the band boy or cross-county girl who gave us our tour of the facility and spoke of their experience as a student who may or may not have played a sport.

2019 and I both have sent multiple children to Hoban, and given the choice to start over, would definitely do it again (I know I would) because of the good people in the building - students, teachers and administration and their families we've met over the years. My children have participated on varsity sports teams and have had a wide variety of experiences doing so. If the football team suddenly went 4-6, I'd still go with the wife and kids to the game on Friday night because it's a social event for us at this stage of life. We might not travel to Padua on a 45 degree night in late-October, but we'd still go more often than not.

There's a segment of the school population, who while we enjoy the games, aren't all-in on what we perceive to be the overall direction of the school as it relates to the athletic programs. We think it's trying to be turned into a football factory and I'd venture that a fair share of the students would echo those opinions. We deep down don't care that the football team won 2 state titles - but we're really happy for the kids on the teams who put in tons of time and effort and see the rewards of their hard work and dedication in trophies in early-December in Columbus.

We like the outstanding exercise facilities (which my kids have used) and the new chapel from the fundraising campaigns. We like that the new chapel got built first. We like the teachers who make far less money and retirement savings than they could in a public school system. We like the overall education our children receive, as it prepares them for college and life. We like the ability for our kids to participate in Kairos retreats and March for Life. We like the friends our kids' make during the school day and while running track, swimming, playing volleyball or tennis for the school. We like the coaches in those same sports who spend the same hundreds of hours and many months away from their families to make a few thousand dollars overseeing our children's activities.

We like the impression of fairness, but when we hear in videos posted here the coach unable to name who we believe is the non-recruited back-up QB, we wonder if "the fix was in" and that kid wasn't given a fair chance to compete. And when the prior QB tweets 3 months prior about the kid from afar getting the starting nod, we again wonder if "the fix was in".

We don't like year-long investigations from OHSAA resulting in suspensions and dragging of the school's name in the mud as a result. We don't like people having decisions overturned and losing their jobs while doing their jobs because the powers-that-be didn't like the decision. We don't like the thought of long-time employees - faces of the school for decades - getting pushed out because they're not buying into the program. And I may be flat-out wrong on any of the statements in this paragraph, but it's because that's the perception that's out there - right or wrong.

To summarize, I love the place for what my kids have gotten out of it and I don't regret for a second sending my them there ... but it's not perfect.
Old 08-28-17, 10:33 PM
All Ohio

Region2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lack of depth, inexperience at critical positions, and in-fighting is a bad combination.
Old 08-28-17, 10:41 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
We don't like year-long investigations from OHSAA resulting in suspensions and dragging of the school's name in the mud as a result. We don't like people having decisions overturned and losing their jobs while doing their jobs because the powers-that-be didn't like the decision. We don't like the thought of long-time employees - faces of the school for decades - getting pushed out because they're not buying into the program. And I may be flat-out wrong on any of the statements in this paragraph, but it's because that's the perception that's out there - right or wrong.

To summarize, I love the place for what my kids have gotten out of it and I don't regret for a second sending my them there ... but it's not perfect.
The part I bolded is definitely fact. I know several that have been forced out or are being forced out after being there for decades.

The direction of the school is changing, for better or for worse. It is definitely not the same school I attended all those years ago.
Old 08-28-17, 10:50 PM
All Ohio

Region2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
The part I bolded is definitely fact. I know several that have been forced out or are being forced out after being there for decades.

The direction of the school is changing, for better or for worse. It is definitely not the same school I attended all those years ago.
Can't the same be said for Iggy's theology leadership? I've had the great privilege of listening to Jim Hogan speak on several occasions. Times they are a changing.
Old 08-28-17, 11:00 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
I dont blame those that are concerned about football becoming king at Hoban. Dont get me wrong, I love all sports, including football, and I appreciate the value sports add to a childs education. But I dont disagree with the concerns about the football becoming more important than anything else mentality. I wouldnt wish it on my own folks, thats for sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-17, 06:06 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Not to write words on behalf of 2019, but I think he's saying that those of us who have been around for a while and are full tuition payers (at least I am), didn't "buy" Hoban for the championship football teams. We bought the friendly and welcoming nature of all those we met during open houses, CYO pre-season basketball tournament ents and friends from our Catholic grade schools whose families previously chose Hoban a few years before us and had universally good things to say about the school. We bought the band boy or cross-county girl who gave us our tour of the facility and spoke of their experience as a student who may or may not have played a sport.

2019 and I both have sent multiple children to Hoban, and given the choice to start over, would definitely do it again (I know I would) because of the good people in the building - students, teachers and administration and their families we've met over the years. My children have participated on varsity sports teams and have had a wide variety of experiences doing so. If the football team suddenly went 4-6, I'd still go with the wife and kids to the game on Friday night because it's a social event for us at this stage of life. We might not travel to Padua on a 45 degree night in late-October, but we'd still go more often than not.

There's a segment of the school population, who while we enjoy the games, aren't all-in on what we perceive to be the overall direction of the school as it relates to the athletic programs. We think it's trying to be turned into a football factory and I'd venture that a fair share of the students would echo those opinions. We deep down don't care that the football team won 2 state titles - but we're really happy for the kids on the teams who put in tons of time and effort and see the rewards of their hard work and dedication in trophies in early-December in Columbus.

We like the outstanding exercise facilities (which my kids have used) and the new chapel from the fundraising campaigns. We like that the new chapel got built first. We like the teachers who make far less money and retirement savings than they could in a public school system. We like the overall education our children receive, as it prepares them for college and life. We like the ability for our kids to participate in Kairos retreats and March for Life. We like the friends our kids' make during the school day and while running track, swimming, playing volleyball or tennis for the school. We like the coaches in those same sports who spend the same hundreds of hours and many months away from their families to make a few thousand dollars overseeing our children's activities.

We like the impression of fairness, but when we hear in videos posted here the coach unable to name who we believe is the non-recruited back-up QB, we wonder if "the fix was in" and that kid wasn't given a fair chance to compete. And when the prior QB tweets 3 months prior about the kid from afar getting the starting nod, we again wonder if "the fix was in".

No it's not Utopia that's for sure. Your comment about why you chose Hoban is telling and elitist in my opinion. CYO Kids, people who have been sending their kids for years (legacy), full tuition paying and cross country and band students or maybe kids that don't play sports! Sounds to me like you want to exclude students who may not be able to afford a private education, or don't run in your social circles at the CYO events or at the country club. The majority of the football players play multiple sports, basketball, baseball, track, lacrosse and even participate in drama. These are not 1 dimensional students who come to Hoban for football only. The majority of them pay full tuition and if they don't they do work study to help pay their way. They are receiving an education that they would not have received otherwise in the public school system. One that is Christ based and led by Godly men and woman. Their lives are being changed because of this experience. I am sorry if it doesn't always fit nicely in a box.
Old 08-29-17, 07:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
No it's not Utopia that's for sure. Your comment about why you chose Hoban is telling and elitist in my opinion. CYO Kids, people who have been sending their kids for years (legacy), full tuition paying and cross country and band students or maybe kids that don't play sports! Sounds to me like you want to exclude students who may not be able to afford a private education, or don't run in your social circles at the CYO events or at the country club. The majority of the football players play multiple sports, basketball, baseball, track, lacrosse and even participate in drama. These are not 1 dimensional students who come to Hoban for football only. The majority of them pay full tuition and if they don't they do work study to help pay their way. They are receiving an education that they would not have received otherwise in the public school system. One that is Christ based and led by Godly men and woman. Their lives are being changed because of this experience. I am sorry if it doesn't always fit nicely in a box.
Wow, getting that from 2020's post is a REAL stretch.
Old 08-29-17, 08:09 AM
Freshman

RoughRiderSports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Wow, getting that from 2020's post is a REAL stretch.
Cougar22 is very sensative about the topic since he is one of those that dont check many of those boxes. And he is rah-rah since all has worked out very well for his son. Why should he be concerned with the experience of others when all is peaches and cream for his family.
Old 08-29-17, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

OCC GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Danny Clark was over hyped as is the Hoban QB issue. Dublin Coffman reloads from hometown boys. Clark, nor any of the recent Hoban QBs would have started at Dublin!
Old 08-29-17, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderSports View Post
Cougar22 is very sensative about the topic since he is one of those that dont check many of those boxes. And he is rah-rah since all has worked out very well for his son. Why should he be concerned with the experience of others when all is peaches and cream for his family.
I wasn't so much concerned with his background as a Hoban parent or his undying pro-Hoban football stance. I was more concerned with his equating 2020's simple background statement as a traditional Hoban parent as some type of elitist/exclusionary position.
Old 08-29-17, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCC GUY View Post
Danny Clark was over hyped as is the Hoban QB issue. Dublin Coffman reloads from hometown boys. Clark, nor any of the recent Hoban QBs would have started at Dublin!
Danny Clark would have fit in very well at Coffman. He was used to short playoff runs from his time at Massillon.
Old 08-29-17, 09:50 AM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You don't watch much football do you son?
Old 08-29-17, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
You don't watch much football do you son?
I watch a lot of football. Clark had to drop down to D3 Hoban where he competed. Dublin Coffman in the OCC which is consistently a powerhouse at the D1 level, just keeps churning out QB's like Hoak, both Stout boys and Brady Quinn. Granted, none have yet to be a force in the NCAA with the exception of Quinn, but they all went to major D1 programs as high profiled QB's.

Clark has done some good things. But looking at the stats and at the division level he played, at best he is a good high school QB. I would bet a steak dinner right now that with Hoak and Clark both at UK, Hoak will be the guy before Clark.

Nothing against Clark - I am just all OCC.
Old 08-29-17, 01:32 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I watch a lot of football. Clark had to drop down to D3 Hoban where he competed. Dublin Coffman in the OCC which is consistently a powerhouse at the D1 level, just keeps churning out QB's like Hoak, both Stout boys and Brady Quinn. Granted, none have yet to be a force in the NCAA with the exception of Quinn, but they all went to major D1 programs as high profiled QB's.

Clark has done some good things. But looking at the stats and at the division level he played, at best he is a good high school QB. I would bet a steak dinner right now that with Hoak and Clark both at UK, Hoak will be the guy before Clark.

It's a bet.
Old 08-29-17, 01:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
It's a bet.
Why did you have to call me out on this??? lol

Ponderosa, Outback, or Ruth's Chris my friend?
Old 08-29-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Glad to see you get behind your team and Dublin has a nice program, but I would not consider them a powerhouse. I consider perennial state contenders and state champions powerhouses, i.e. Ignatius, Ed's, Moeller, Xavier...
Old 08-29-17, 01:46 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Glad to see you get behind your team and Dublin has a nice program, but I would not consider them a powerhouse. I consider perennial state contenders and state champions powerhouses, i.e. Ignatius, Ed's, Moeller, Xavier...
Agreed. I have been antsy for quite a few years now. We do so well, and somehow have miscues that I did not expect.

We get a lot of dates, just can't make it to the big dance lol!