Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-29-17, 07:41 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Your reading comprehension totally sucks. Go ask a 3rd grader to read the post to you.... slowly.
Uh everybody is good at something.Uh don't know any 3rd graders but maybe you could do it.
Old 06-29-17, 08:12 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
One could argue Fort Recovery's Brent Niekamp has done a more impressive coaching job than either Goodwin or Otten.
I didn't know much about Niekamp...he's certainly done some amazing things, for sure. No doubt he's impressive--just wasn't really familiar enough with him. I've followed Goodwin and Otten for maaaany years. I hope Fort has a great year. I always say I hope every MAC team wins every game they play in a season...except for one....
Old 06-29-17, 10:45 PM
All American

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh you are talking about D6 and D7 football. Uh club teams in most states. Uh almost beyond unbelievable you people talk like these schools are among the best in the state. Best in all 50 states? Uh yeah right. Keep living the dream and forget about reality don't look back, somebody might be gaining on you.
Uh? Uh!!! uh......UH?????
Old 06-30-17, 01:38 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
The Maria Stein Countryfest QB challenge was this past weekend. I saw on twitter that there were 14 quarterbacks (Coldwater sent 3) and the top 3 were as follows:

1. Sam Broering CW (2nd straight year)
2. Alex May CW
3. Nate Bruns ML
Was impressed by the Meyer kid from Anna in the distance throwing. Field was almost not long enough for his arm strength.
Old 06-30-17, 03:54 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Was impressed by the Meyer kid from Anna in the distance throwing. Field was almost not long enough for his arm strength.
Hopefully that translates into wins for them! Then maybe the MAC will have a playoff team in 5.
Old 07-01-17, 06:59 AM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
^^^ Don't forget the other D-V school ... Versailles should be at least fairly strong and could also earn a playoff spot.

Come week 11, I hope the MAC is well represented in all three divisions.

Last edited by CJK84; 07-01-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 10:34 AM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
Versailles had some pretty close games last year.
Old 07-03-17, 04:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman96 View Post
Versailles had some pretty close games last year.
Including with us... We have to be able to defend better than last year
Old 07-04-17, 07:09 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Versailles should be good this year, right? The mid level MAC teams are League Champs in any other small school conference. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-17, 11:39 AM
All Region

Quote:
Including with us... We have to be able to defend better than last year
Oh, I agree. We'll be OK, though.

I'm wondering who we'll throw the ball to as well as what our secondary will look like. Sam will probably be one of your db's (my guess), I'm not sure who else. One kid that really impressed me on last year's JV squad was Reese Thomas. Not the biggest kid out there, but he sure could hit like Brody.

Last edited by Cavman96; 07-04-17 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 12:40 PM
All Region

Oh my, the MAC has a brutal ooc schedule!

I just seen where Ft. Recovery has Valley View scheduled in week 2. Didn't VV absolutely smack Versailles last year? Coldwater has Clinton-Massie in week 2 as well. The potential is there for a ton of points for the conference, but you have to win the games.
Old 07-04-17, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

http://cavfootball.com/2016%20season/2016%20roster.html

Probably Jacob Hartings and Jack Muhlenkamp for sure. Other names could be Payton Goodwin, Paul Buschur, Creighton Bettinger is listed as a TE and is 6'2", and basically whoever steps up in camp! Those same names will probably be mentioned for defense and we can definitely use hard hitters so if Reese is ready then he should be playing!. Linebacker wise you should probably expect Brad Giere, Seth Obringer, Mitch Niekamp, and Caleb Dippold
Old 07-04-17, 12:54 PM
All Region

Reese plays linebacker, though. And like you stated, we should be pretty solid at that position. The only thing that worries me is that someone has to step up and be that stud receiver like a Reese Klenke or Neil Muhlenkamp. I'm sure someone will. We seem to be pretty much set everywhere else. Is Alex May really as good as they're saying at QB? I seen he finished 2nd at the Maria Stein QB challenge thing they had.
Old 07-04-17, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman96 View Post
Reese plays linebacker, though. And like you stated, we should be pretty solid at that position. The only thing that worries me is that someone has to step up and be that stud receiver like a Reese Klenke or Neil Muhlenkamp. I'm sure someone will. We seem to be pretty much set everywhere else. Is Alex May really as good as they're saying at QB? I seen he finished 2nd at the Maria Stein QB challenge thing they had.
Another kid that impressed me was Matt Kunk and he's also listed at LB but I'm not sure he'll remain there (DT/DE?) I've actually haven't seen that much to really comment on Alex May but you'd be amazed how much kids learn at these college and Qb camps. I was surprised last year when Sam finished 1st and Dylan was 2nd.
Old 07-04-17, 01:35 PM
All Region

Quote:
I was surprised last year when Sam finished 1st and Dylan was 2nd.
You see, I really wasn't. I've been watching Sam play since he was a 7th grader. I knew then that this kid was going to have a good arm. When they were running 5-wide, and he was throwing these 25 yard ("bomb") plays in the 7th grade over and over again with success, I knew then that this kid could be good. I just don't think he was quite the athlete that Dylan was last year. Plus, Dylan was the senior, so it made sense.

It will be interesting to see how Sam has progressed since last year. But as to whether or not he's got a good arm? That was never going to be a concern for me, but I'm not the Coach Otten, either. If he has progressed at the pace that we all hope he has, this COULD be a fun season to watch! And we'll need it, because this will be a tough season as well.
Old 07-04-17, 01:45 PM
All Region

StateChamp, let me ask you this. Are we going to have a kicker? Having Neil Muhlenkamp hurt last year actually ended up costing us in the state title game. What a heck of a way to lose that sucker. If he kicks, we win that game going away. We would have had 3 FG's just in the 1'st half alone.
Old 07-04-17, 02:56 PM
All Ohio

Thats very true. The only kicker from the roster last year besides Neil was Jacob Wenning. I dont remember seeing him kick. We can always try some others out if thats not the case but usually a good kicker is a coldwater tradition so im sure we'll figure something out.

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 07-04-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

Division 6: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/J2kD4QB...nd-preview.htm
Division 7: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/C1-K_2I...nd-preview.htm
Old 07-05-17, 06:24 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Looking at that Coldwater roster, I see more than a couple of kids 230 plus and thats just frosh thru juniors. Keep in mind those roster sizes were from last year. They are going to be pretty big again this season.
Old 07-05-17, 08:12 PM
All American

On the CCC thread I made a comment about the MAC's rotating schedule saying it was awful. These are some of the reasons I made that statement. 1st unless I am mistaken the reason the MAC went to the rotating schedule was to appease the teams in the league that were struggling at the time ( Minster, New Bremen, Fort Recovery, Parkway) so they would not have to play all of the top teams in the league and nothing to do with getting more teams into the play-offs. 2nd even with the rotating schedule New Bremen and Parkway continue to struggle mightily. 3rd the rotating schedule has not helped ML at all. Couple of years ago Marion had to go to Michigan to play a game, than the following year had to schedule a completely over matched Beallsville team. As I write this the Flyers still have an opening for next year as CJ falls off the schedule. DSJ had this same problem even with just one non-league game until their success tailed off. If Fort Recovery or Minster has continued success they are going to find out how difficult it is for successful small schools to schedule 2 non-league games. Plus instead of not playing Parkway or New Bremen the past several years the Flyers did not play DSJ last year and before that had their long running rivalry with Versailles interrupted for 2 years, yeah the rotating schedule is working just great. The reason Anna was added to the MAC was solely for scheduling reasons ( one less non-league game ) however as Anna had success immediately some of the bottom teams in the MAC protested so the MAC to placate them went to the rotating schedule.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 07-06-17 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 05:14 AM
All District

Bengal WhoDey is on a distinguished road
I think the rotating schedule was for the playoffs quite a bit. In 2007, only ML and Coldwater made the playoffs, with Parkway at 8-2 just missing out.

The rotating schedule has been a positive for the MAC.
Old 07-06-17, 05:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal WhoDey View Post
I think the rotating schedule was for the playoffs quite a bit. In 2007, only ML and Coldwater made the playoffs, with Parkway at 8-2 just missing out.

The rotating schedule has been a positive for the MAC.
I think 7 divisions has helped more, with 6 divisions would have Fort Recovery and Minster made the play-offs the last several years let alone win state championships. I mean DSJ made the play-offs in 2014 with a 4-6 record, they were helped by their 2 non - league wins but with 6 divisions their on the outside looking in.
Old 07-06-17, 07:52 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Just looking at years when there were 6 divisions:

From 1997-2000, the MAC had 8 teams, so they played 7 conference games and 3 non-conference. 50% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

From 2001-2005, the MAC had 9 teams, so they played 8 conference games and 2 non-conference. 42% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

From 2006-2007, the MAC had 10 teams, so they played 9 conference games and 1 non-conference. 25% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

From 2008-2012, the MAC had 10 teams but played the new schedule with 8 conference games and 2 non-conference. 48% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

Just a side note, the original proposal to the MAC athletic directors was to skip two conference games and play just 7 games in conference. The ADs opted for the more conservative rotating schedule of skipping just one MAC opponent.
Old 07-06-17, 09:42 AM
All American

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Just looking at years when there were 6 divisions:

From 1997-2000, the MAC had 8 teams, so they played 7 conference games and 3 non-conference. 50% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

From 2001-2005, the MAC had 9 teams, so they played 8 conference games and 2 non-conference. 42% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

From 2006-2007, the MAC had 10 teams, so they played 9 conference games and 1 non-conference. 25% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

From 2008-2012, the MAC had 10 teams but played the new schedule with 8 conference games and 2 non-conference. 48% of MAC teams made the playoffs.

Just a side note, the original proposal to the MAC athletic directors was to skip two conference games and play just 7 games in conference. The ADs opted for the more conservative rotating schedule of skipping just one MAC opponent.
thanks for the info.....the Athletic directors who signed off on that one NON=Conference game.....MADE A HUGE mistake back then
Old 07-06-17, 11:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
thanks for the info.....the Athletic directors who signed off on that one NON=Conference game.....MADE A HUGE mistake back then
If your referring to 2006 - 2007 all teams in the league played each other like they always did in the past. In 2007 Minster was 0-10, DSJ, Versailles, and New Bremen were all 2-8. Parkway was 8-2 and in the same region as ML which went undefeated and won state that season, Anna was 7-3 but also in same region as ML. It is much tougher to make the play-offs in D-5 than D-6. DSJ, Minster, New Bremen were D-6 but with their records even with 2 non-league games would not have made the play-offs. Fort Recovery was 5-5 that season and finished 16th in region 24 even with 2 non-league games (assuming they won both and depending who they would have dropped in the MAC ) still would not have made the play-offs. 2007 was just not a good year for MAC schools overall other than ML, Coldwater and Parkway. Plus in 2010 Minster lost both their non-league games and still made the play-offs so it can cut both ways. And once again the reason Anna was added to the league was for scheduling reasons so MAC schools would have just 1 non-league game.

Last edited by Stirred not Shaken; 07-06-17 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
On the CCC thread I made a comment about the MAC's rotating schedule saying it was awful. These are some of the reasons I made that statement. 1st unless I am mistaken the reason the MAC went to the rotating schedule was to appease the teams in the league that were struggling at the time ( Minster, New Bremen, Fort Recovery, Parkway) so they would not have to play all of the top teams in the league and nothing to do with getting more teams into the play-offs. 2nd even with the rotating schedule New Bremen and Parkway continue to struggle mightily. 3rd the rotating schedule has not helped ML at all. Couple of years ago Marion had to go to Michigan to play a game, than the following year had to schedule a completely over matched Beallsville team. As I write this the Flyers still have an opening for next year as CJ falls off the schedule. DSJ had this same problem even with just one non-league game until their success tailed off. If Fort Recovery or Minster has continued success they are going to find out how difficult it is for successful small schools to schedule 2 non-league games. Plus instead of not playing Parkway or New Bremen the past several years the Flyers did not play DSJ last year and before that had their long running rivalry with Versailles interrupted for 2 years, yeah the rotating schedule is working just great. The reason Anna was added to the MAC was solely for scheduling reasons ( one less non-league game ) however as Anna had success immediately some of the bottom teams in the MAC protested so the MAC to placate them went to the rotating schedule.
The rotating schedule has been fantastic and a genius move. Getting them back to 2 OOC games is huge and only helps teams make the playoffs. Ft recovery got lots of points with that extra wincompared to a presumed loss to coldwater. Teams had a point with Versailles and Anna added in being bigger. Very proactive move by the conference to also help teams struggling and giving a top teams the chance to schedule a better opponant. It was a very smart move
Old 07-06-17, 02:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
The rotating schedule has been fantastic and a genius move. Getting them back to 2 OOC games is huge and only helps teams make the playoffs. Ft recovery got lots of points with that extra wincompared to a presumed loss to coldwater. Teams had a point with Versailles and Anna added in being bigger. Very proactive move by the conference to also help teams struggling and giving a top teams the chance to schedule a better opponant. It was a very smart move
Has it helped Parkway and New Bremen ? Didn't Fort Recovery play Coldwater last year and still make the play-offs. Playing Beallsville, Harvest Prep, a bad Mich. team, a bad Canadian team is a better opponent. Coldwater is fortunate that they play Kenton every year. ML has no such luxury maybe the Cavs and Flyers could play twice a year like they did in the early 80's to help with the Flyers scheduling. Rotating schedule has helped some years when MAC teams have gone 4-6, 5-5, or 6-4 make the play-offs although Minster lost both of their non-league games in 2010 and St. Henry lost to Covington last season yet both still made the play-offs.
Old 07-06-17, 11:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Has it helped Parkway and New Bremen ? Didn't Fort Recovery play Coldwater last year and still make the play-offs. Playing Beallsville, Harvest Prep, a bad Mich. team, a bad Canadian team is a better opponent. Coldwater is fortunate that they play Kenton every year. ML has no such luxury maybe the Cavs and Flyers could play twice a year like they did in the early 80's to help with the Flyers scheduling. Rotating schedule has helped some years when MAC teams have gone 4-6, 5-5, or 6-4 make the play-offs although Minster lost both of their non-league games in 2010 and St. Henry lost to Covington last season yet both still made the play-offs.

It has not hurt. Wil friend's call it a genius move. Allowing teams to get that extra ooc is good. Gives the top teams a chance to schedule tough teams to help. Coldwater win vs cbh that first time went so much further in their development and confidence than a league win. It has been working amazingly....just look at the success
Old 07-07-17, 09:29 AM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
2 OOC games do make it easier to attain Harbin Points as a midlevel MAC school, however if you're a bottom team no one wants to schedule you because you won't win enough league games to give them points and if you're a top MAC school no one wants to schedule you because they don't think they can win. Even larger schools balk at scheduling a ML or Coldwater because at DVI they just don't give enough points to a DIII or higher team.

An AD of a top MAC school is every bit as valuable to the program as the coach.
Old 07-07-17, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
2 OOC games do make it easier to attain Harbin Points as a midlevel MAC school, however if you're a bottom team no one wants to schedule you because you won't win enough league games to give them points and if you're a top MAC school no one wants to schedule you because they don't think they can win. Even larger schools balk at scheduling a ML or Coldwater because at DVI they just don't give enough points to a DIII or higher team.

An AD of a top MAC school is every bit as valuable to the program as the coach.
Eh...parkway and Bremen don't have issues filling their ooc. Msml does because teams are scared, coldwater has had to travel a couple of hours but I would rather play those teams than having that one more league foe. Coldwater and your Indians over reached nxt year with valley and massie. That loss will keep ft rec out of the pkayoffs, coldwater likely can rebound from losing to Massie if they can beat kenton, if they lose to Kenton then it will be a 3 to 4 loss season after the flyer game, which woild be no bueno.

With that said though....the rotating schedule has been fantastic for the league. It gives teams more power to control their destiny. Didn't parkway go 8 and 2 winning their OOC game and missing? That helped the league react very quickly and wisely