Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-05-17, 04:47 PM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
2017 Columbus Top 10

All divisions. All Leagues

1. Pickerington Central
2. Desales
3. Hartley
4. Westerville Central
5. Olentangy Orange
6. Hilliard Bradley
7. Olentangy Liberty
8. Upper Arlington
9. Lancaster
10. Coffman
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-17, 06:34 PM
All Ohio

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Really
Old 05-05-17, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Really
elaborate?
Old 05-06-17, 05:51 AM
All Ohio

Pick C and may be DeSales being in the top 5 is accurate , after that? This guy doesn't know anything and he kind of knows it, but Olentangy orange? Westy Central ? Liberty lost a lot, has a few real good guys back but has never beaten Coffman and wouldn't OR Won't if the slight chance the play in the play-offs . Hartley third? yes they move up to D-3 but there is a Nice handful of D-1 including a couple not even on his list that would beat them .

Lancaster ? cut the crap .
Old 05-06-17, 05:55 AM
All Ohio

Olentangy not on the list ? have everyone back from a good not great team look for them to be improved. Hilliard Darby not on the list? they should beat Davidson this year , Pickerington North not on the list ? Just a bad effort and poor pre-season ranking Period .
Old 05-06-17, 06:04 AM
All Ohio

Hilliard Bradley who is definitely coming on the last two years , has never won a play-off game? Got trounced by Pick North last year many teams played North better than they did . Davidson overachieved last year won the league title , lost by 21 to Coffman in the play-offs and had only a handful of first downs , they LOSE a good number of starters , But they probably deserve on their program strength and coaching alone to be ahead of a few teams he mentions may be getting the 10th spot perhaps until they prove otherwise.

I haven't though too hard about where the teams should be slotted initially , and Hartley is getting better and better players to go over there every year and are a top 10 perhaps but number three? No way , not yet anyway may be after a few more stud classes of hard working overachieving altar boys that is LOL . Some serious speed in creasing numbers is showing up over there each year it seems, they are getting the word out and while they aren't in a rural farming d-4 region with an automatic berth into the State Semi's anymore , this going to D-3 and upping the competition and their willingness to schedule will only get them more good players in the ensuing years.

They should be commended but lets not go overboard, with the praise for stepping up , they are doing what THEIR ACCUMULATION OF TALENT allows them to do and that has significantly improved over the least 5-6 years, make no mistake they work hard but it's the TALENT that ahs elevated them the kids who can make PLAYS , that has gotten them to the shoe .
Old 05-06-17, 06:23 AM
All Ohio

To clarify , DeSales top 5 ? OK have to look a little deeper but they certainly have gotten a few really talented classes back to back to back , but Pick C is the consensus and deserved top team in CO to start the season no question . A lot back from a very successful play-off run and improved over the course of the season after a tough loss to Upper Arlington in overtime they didn't lose , although they barely beat Gahanna by two points a non play-off team{ Close lost a few real tough ones } and beat Pic North by a field goal , BUT in the play-offs handled them much easier by 2 touchdowns and were up bigger than that earlier.

They peaked at the right time , lost o Upper Arlington in the play-offs round one in 2015 , improved last year over the season and are loaded this year and an easy call fro Number one in CO.
Old 05-08-17, 03:21 PM
Varsity

smashmouth56 is on a distinguished road
should be considered in the top 10 in no order

Hilliard Davidson
New Albany
Olentangy
Gahanna
Pickerington North
Old 05-08-17, 03:50 PM
All Ohio

Yes those teams are Top 10 discussion worthy , Looking at New Albany's year last year in total some results top 10 in region some not , not sure what they have coming back .

Gahanna loses some good players but has some athletes , may be more overall talent than they have had , not sure of their line play.

Olentangy has a ton back and is definitely going to be better than last year , a few games will tell us how much better , they handled Darby pretty easily after falling behind early , But I expect that they will do much better against Coffman who they lost to 35-0 and Liberty who they lost to 31-0 , those games are circled for them no question .

Pick North has some really talented players including a very good experienced QB in Weirick , and will be good again , how good overall is in question.

Davidson lost a lot of starters , beat Coffman in a close game, and beat UA comfortably in reg. season Coffman got pay back controlling the play-off game from start to finish , they need to replace most starters on the lines , have a couple good rising JR LB'S back but not sure who plays QB and is their lead back , two very important players in their system . Points could be hard to come by , defense is usually very solid .

Has to play Darby who will be better , Liberty who seems to be rising a bit as Davidson is falling a bit in terms of personnel , which is cyclical and I think they will get back to a higher personnel level soon but the reality now is different , Bradley beat them last year and isn't in awe and has talent and is also elevating as a program , Coffman who has more starters back many who played key roles on defense in last years 24-3 play-off win , and UA sooner or later should get a win vs Davidson , I think this year may be the year .
Old 05-08-17, 05:14 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Has to play Darby who will be better , Liberty who seems to be rising a bit as Davidson is falling a bit in terms of personnel , which is cyclical and I think they will get back to a higher personnel level soon but the reality now is different , Bradley beat them last year and isn't in awe and has talent and is also elevating as a program , Coffman who has more starters back many who played key roles on defense in last years 24-3 play-off win , and UA sooner or later should get a win vs Davidson , I think this year may be the year .
Stiv...
Just like last year, we both liked Bradley to have a breakthrough year, I think this year Darby has the edge over the Jags. Panthers have a very good senior class, of which quite a few kids saw playing time. Bradley will be good again, but loses some of their play-makers. Even with all the injuries, Darby finished 6-4 and a big fourth-quarter comeback by Jerome probably is what cost them a playoff spot. Davidson is Davidson, but I think I would agree that the Darby and Bradley are closing the gap and not in awe of big brother any longer. Davidson/Darby... Look for something like 10-7, 13-10, could go either way.

I agree on Liberty... They probably could make a reasonably solid claim on best "All Sports" school in Central OH to boot. (Coffman, of course, is up there, too.) Not sure how much the opening of Berlin will affect the Pats. There is some overall shifting around in OLSD next year.
Old 05-08-17, 06:37 PM
Freshman

Capcityfball is on a distinguished road
No real order:
Pick Central is the team to beat in my opinion

Gahanna has a real good QB and some nice athletes

Bradley is the "it" school of Hilliard, real talented skills, Darby is going to be above Davidson this year...whoever wins between Bradley and Darby will finish in the top ten

Pick North (I've said it before but the QB is a difference maker)

While the Olentangy's all face each other they are all going to be real tough, can't choose between them so will cop out and lump them together. Unlike Harry I think Orange is primed

Coffman always has talent and resources, what they do with it is the question

I have no problem including Hartley in this mix, not afraid to play anyone and Hartley is back to back state champs, I don't care about division no other Columbus school has won one since '09
Old 05-08-17, 06:40 PM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
Remember when talking about Davidson this year, they will be on turf. IMO they will not be close to the teams they have sent out in the past. This year 0.500 will be asking a lot from their personal. Arlington will not quiver down their leg, and Coffman finally unravelled the running attack. Teams will use what Coffman did to them in the playoffs, and copy.
Old 05-08-17, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcityfball View Post

I have no problem including Hartley in this mix, not afraid to play anyone and Hartley is back to back state champs, I don't care about division no other Columbus school has won one since '09
Watterson won in 2010, but good point nevertheless.
Old 05-08-17, 08:07 PM
Freshman

Capcityfball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Watterson won in 2010, but good point nevertheless.
Correct, not sure how/why I overlooked that
Old 05-08-17, 08:46 PM
Varsity

uncle_rico is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Pick Central
2. Liberty
3. Coffman
4. Pick North
5. Olentangy
6. DeSales
7. Hartley
8. Davidson
9. Bradley
10. Gahanna

On paper, DeSales is prime for a state title run, but it sounds like a broken record. Hopefully this is their year but Hartley will give them a run in D3.

This may be the year 2 Central Ohio teams make it to the D1 Final 4. I think Pick Central strolls thru Region 3 and Liberty and Coffman will duke it out in Region 2 (if Coffman moves to the NW which seems inevitable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-17, 08:56 PM
Varsity

Correction, I meant this may be the year a Central Ohio team makes it to the state final. I think PC makes it but loses to St Ed. Forgot that PC and Liberty both got to the semis last year.

Old 05-08-17, 10:54 PM
All District

ELMIKE2K2
Quote:
Pick C and may be DeSales being in the top 5 is accurate , after that? This guy doesn't know anything and he kind of knows it, but Olentangy orange? Westy Central ? Liberty lost a lot, has a few real good guys back but has never beaten Coffman and wouldn't OR Won't if the slight chance the play in the play-offs . Hartley third? yes they move up to D-3 but there is a Nice handful of D-1 including a couple not even on his list that would beat them .

Lancaster ? cut the crap .
Olentangy Orange made the playoffs and both games against Liberty where close with one going into OT, they return most of their players, JVs went 9 and 1 with the lone lost coming by one point missed extra point vs Liberty, they also blew out Olentangys JVs if that matters. Westy Central returns a lot and Hartley can play with anyone from the central distrist regardless of school size.
Old 05-08-17, 11:41 PM
All American

darbydavidsonfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_rico View Post
1. Pick Central
2. Liberty
3. Coffman
4. Pick North
5. Olentangy
6. DeSales
7. Hartley
8. Davidson
9. Bradley
10. Gahanna

On paper, DeSales is prime for a state title run, but it sounds like a broken record. Hopefully this is their year but Hartley will give them a run in D3.

This may be the year 2 Central Ohio teams make it to the D1 Final 4. I think Pick Central strolls thru Region 3 and Liberty and Coffman will duke it out in Region 2 (if Coffman moves to the NW which seems inevitable).

No Central Ohio team will "stroll" through Region 3 as long as Huber Heights Wayne is lurking. I believe their QB was a first year starting sophomore last year. So expect him to be improved from last year. Not sure what they lost, but they always reload at the skill positions. I think PC took them just a little by surprise last year. That potential rematch (with all PC returns) figures to be a big-time matchup.
Old 05-09-17, 03:58 AM
All Ohio

I know Orange is coming on but they were rated too high IMO in that initial list is all , they also lost to Westy C who was in a rebuild , Jerome and Kilbourne , so good but I don't judge teams and programs by their worst game or their best game , Westy C was down last year a bit PERIOD, I saw them up close, I know they return some folks but while they will be good and are well coached also TOO HIGH on that list .

Hartley can play with moist programs no question, they simply overachieve with less talented slow chubby altar boys who simply outwork teams and somehow scrape by , it si the little engine that could if you will , with al this overachieving better people than everyone else and the modern day Knute Rockne at the helm they are not one of the top 3-4 teams in Central Ohio , god bless their les talented overachieving hearts, but may be they can start getting some real talent in that school .
Old 05-09-17, 06:46 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbydavidsonfan View Post
No Central Ohio team will "stroll" through Region 3 as long as Huber Heights Wayne is lurking. I believe their QB was a first year starting sophomore last year. So expect him to be improved from last year. Not sure what they lost, but they always reload at the skill positions. I think PC took them just a little by surprise last year. That potential rematch (with all PC returns) figures to be a big-time matchup.

That's right. No idea how I missed HHW. Yes they are on a collision course with PC in R3, that's for sure.

Old 05-09-17, 07:19 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
I think Coffman has a decent shot at coming out in top in Central Ohio this year. Sutherland is a well-respected coach, and I think he's got the horses to turn the corner and finally beat Jerome. It's been almost 35 years since they've brought home the golf title. Shame they can't do an allstar team up there. The town is just loaded with golf talent.
Old 05-09-17, 10:48 AM
All District

ELMIKE2K2
Quote:
I know Orange is coming on but they were rated too high IMO in that initial list is all , they also lost to Westy C who was in a rebuild , Jerome and Kilbourne , so good but I don't judge teams and programs by their worst game or their best game , Westy C was down last year a bit PERIOD, I saw them up close, I know they return some folks but while they will be good and are well coached also TOO HIGH on that list .

Hartley can play with moist programs no question, they simply overachieve with less talented slow chubby altar boys who simply outwork teams and somehow scrape by , it si the little engine that could if you will , with al this overachieving better people than everyone else and the modern day Knute Rockne at the helm they are not one of the top 3-4 teams in Central Ohio , god bless their les talented overachieving hearts, but may be they can start getting some real talent in that school .
Orange's lost to Westy C and Jerome was IMO due to self inflicted TOs ie INT'S, they were in the redzone four times vs Jerome yet failed to score due to TOs and ended up losing by just a TD. They were up 13 on Kilbourne going into the 4th quarter of that game and then went ultra conservative on offense allowing Kilbourne to tie and send that game into OT while I agree they are probably not until proven otherwise a top 5 team, they are definately top ten just based on the talent they return on defense. Hartley may play above its self but that only means that most schools will have to bring their A game in order to beat them.
Old 05-09-17, 12:46 PM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
How about this then

1 Pick central
2a Coffman
2b Liberty
4a. DeSales
4b Olentangy
4c. Gahanna
4d. Upper Arlington
4e. Bradley
4f. Hartley
4g. Pick North

You could add a couple of others in the group of 4s, but I think it shakes out like this. R3 sees a HHW vs Pick central. R2 sees Liberty vs. Coffman for district champions.
Old 05-09-17, 03:04 PM
All Ohio

BG , Yes Bradley did break through , but had some a few holes in their swing so to speak , got punched out by Scioto and were exposed defensively vs Pick North but the program and the Middle Schools are rising in terms of talent and performance .

Darby's Senior group as 8h graders gave an undefeated Sells Middle school team{ Coffman Seniors} their best game , can't always tell how a group progresses in High school based on MS of course and there are a few Coffman kids not playing anymore for various reasons from that group , but both teams have good Senior classes , some toughness and skill

Davidson has some serious questions , may be some younger guys will have to step up , and they have to replace most of the Lines on both sides. Darby will be best and Davidson and Bradley battle for second but I think it may be Bradley beating Davidson again with Kory Taylor back from his injury this year .

Liberty was pushing Coffman for a few years as may be the best overall CO sports school and the Rocks are still one of the top and were certainly the top school for a couple years the last decade , but I think you are correct Liberty probably is the best overall Sports school in CO now , have no idea how the 4th school affects them , they have been growing steadily and has been a larger school than Coffman for a couple years now and they are a very solid community with resources $$$$ and they are competitive solid kids . Have to give it up to them they are likely the best overall pound for pound sport for sport .
Old 05-31-17, 04:44 PM
All Ohio

we await the news of region re-alignment which could have a big impact on a few CO teams and their fortunes in the play-offs, we are getting very close to the start of camp ,at 2 months and counting as teams start that final push in the weight room, speed and agility drills and 7 on 7 comps.

Receivers and QB'S can work on timing , lineman on their footwork , backs and receivers on their quickness and conditioning and everyone wants to get just that bit stronger . Some want to add that last 5 pounds and some want to lose 10 -15 . A top ten list is always fun , the usual suspects always arrive on these initial lists but the order changes a bit each year . So here goes, before I go Rico's list looks pretty good actually

1} Pick Central - big -O-line to go along with a gaggle of talented skill kids some tough blue collar performers as well , new QB will likely be a talented young player. Most good players of any team and if they stay in R-3 the inevitable clash of the Titans with Huber Heights W, should be epic .

2} Liberty - growing school , more talent , more size and a community that really likes winning and is arguably the top overall all around school in Athletics in CO . Have a good nucleus coming back , and should thrive and roll along despite losing a few D-1 kids led by White to Ohio State .

3} DeSales, - has seen them progress from a personnel standpoint the last few years, more studs coming in each of the last couple years, multiple D-1 kids , a nice combo of speed and strength , coaching continuity , and supportive community.

4} Coffman - the scrimmages the last two years vs. DeSales have been a tough competitive physical challenge for both teams . Coffman played excellent defense most of last year , it seems they get remembered by their last game the last two seasons in bad losses to Colerain and Wayne , but in CO they have been able to play with anyone and beat up some good teams last year. and that won't change this year .

5 A} Olentangy - excellent coach , a crap load back , talent , some size added, young QB got his feet wet and took some lumps last year but should be the better for it , will be looking to avenge beat downs at the hands of both Coffman and Liberty last year, they should definitely close that gap but will it be enough as both Patriots and Rocks have some good folks back as well .

5B - Darby - look for them to bounce back from their first subpar year in a while , injuries and some bad luck hurt them and as always they are a difficult team to play with a style you don't see often . Senior class looks solid , higher than some have on this list but I see them winning their conference which will have them far up any CO list.

5C Pickerington North - Talented experienced QB who is the straw who stirs this drink , and he has some speed and some protection back , defense will be the key to how far they eventually go .

6} Upper Arlington - a few transfers I am hearing ? That aside they have a few young kids that are very promising including an athletic QB with a very cool name in Junior Sammy Sass . Program is on the rise , tough luck not making the play-offs last year losing a close decision to Coffman after being up 21-0 , beat PC the last two years , some of the key players in those wins aren't there this year , but they will be good this year .

7A }Hartley - OBVIOULSY the word is out , Hartley is going to play 14-15 games a year and play in BIG GAMES EVERY YEAR , this year it's D-3 after being a juggernaut in d-4 and even d-5 a few years ago , so this is a step up, they will raise their profile and that will likely get even more talented kids with speed and some size interested in going there .

7B } Gahanna - Ward is doing a nice job over there , he is getting some athletes in the building to come out who may be weren't before, and they play hard for him and their schemes are better than I thought they would be . QB Lowery was a great catch coming over from PN last year and now they get another class athlete in Wide Out Bruckner coming in from C-Bus Academy , could be at or near the top of QB WR tandems in CO .

8 Bradley - up and coming sports program overall , looking at hoops and even their MS teams the talent is definitely there, , can they break through and win a play-off game ? New QB who has talent and maturity , and a great HS receiver in Kory Taylor , along with a solid emerging program that has been more consistent overall , Game with Davidson will be crucial .

9 A} Olentangy Orange - On further examination I will concede being a bit too low on Orange, a nice bounce back as a program, some studs and a attitude about them , along with some needed confidence from some really strong performances against top teams last year should make them dangerous .

9 B } - Davidson - Loses most of their starting lineman on both sides, new QB and Running backs as well ? Two nice Young LB'S in Juniors Royer and Annis both Davidson " Legacy's but overall ? Can't keep them off a list this long , but not seeing them beating a few of the teams on their schedule that they will need to , to make the play-offs.

10} Westy Central - See a nice bounce back , but how big will the bounce be ? N ot sure, but Magistro is a very good coach and he will have a better year and get more out of these kids than he did last year.
Old 05-31-17, 08:29 PM
All World

Nice summation there, stiv. I know this is a FB thread, but any ideas as to the Ralph Young winners were - since you were talking about overall athletic departments? Guessing Coffman in Central, Liberty in Buckeye, NA in Capital? I think Darby nosed out Bradley/Jerome in the Cardinal. Gahanna has been doing well in the Ohio in recent years, usually a battle between them and the Pickeringtons.
Old 06-01-17, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

Young winners are usually released it seems in July late June may be ? Gahanna has won three straight years , Darby has had a very good year except for the football which has been very strong the last handful of years obviously . Liberty is a lock NA probably as well , Coffman ? not sure usually a bit more successful than Davidson and UA has some real strengths but some of them aren't included because some of those sports not everyone has .
Old 06-01-17, 10:13 AM
All World

Quote:
Young winners are usually released it seems in July late June may be ? Gahanna has won three straight years , Darby has had a very good year except for the football which has been very strong the last handful of years obviously . Liberty is a lock NA probably as well , Coffman ? not sure usually a bit more successful than Davidson and UA has some real strengths but some of them aren't included because some of those sports not everyone has .
Darby football finished 6-4, 4-2 in the conference, tied with Scioto and behind Bradley/Jerome at 5-1, so that's not going to hurt them badly in the overall scheme of things. The only real disaster was boys basketball. I counted only 3 sports of 16 (used for the calculations), that the Panthers finished in the bottom 3.
Old 06-01-17, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Huber Heights Wayne loses a ton from last year but they also lost a bunch the previous year as well.... Wayne beats PC 9 out of 10 times last season... this year, the R3 favorite should be PC.
Old 06-02-17, 05:25 AM
All Ohio

Yes Wayne turning it over MULTIPLE TIMES and giving up TWO big plays on fake punts was brutal , even PC fans admit Wayne had the better club last year , but just one of those nights happened to Wayne when a ton of things went wrong .

Wayne is at a different level in terms of sheer material than most CO schools, better demo's for sure than most IN THE REGION { of course PC has that very good football demo as well , for a contrast Dublin Coffman has about a 20 percent Asian, Indian school population getting very very few players from that segment} and a real commitment of course and hard work goes into it as well and coaching and community support . PC Wayne is likely again , another closed game I believe even if you think PC has a slight edge at least pre-season thoughts wise.

PC has a new QB that is one edge Wayne may have with a bit more experience and professional High school receiver Smith back again is a nice place to start on offense anyway . Don't see anyone else that matches up with either of these two this year in R-3 .