Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-17, 08:23 AM
Freshman

Genius11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
SW Ohio is such a tough place for a school like Edgewood. Wants to be good, wants to play a competitive league schedule but there just isn't a good league. The SWBL is highly unlikely, when Massie and Wilmington approached them about expansion... they shut it down pretty quick. The SWOC isn't a terrible league but I see why a school like Edgewood would want out. In all reality, there just isn't a viable option at this point...best thing is for the lower programs to work to improve themselves to make the conference more competitive.

Sooooo Edgewood wins one swoc championship and people think they should move conferences!? Edgewood has only finished in the top 3 twice before this year, and the other years they were at the bottom of the league. In other sports Edgewood hasn't been anything the crazy they have ONE swoc championship in the three major boys sports. Let's not get carried away here and say Edgewood deserves better competition when they just one their first swoc football title.
Old 05-17-17, 08:38 AM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius11 View Post
Sooooo Edgewood wins one swoc championship and people think they should move conferences!? Edgewood has only finished in the top 3 twice before this year, and the other years they were at the bottom of the league. In other sports Edgewood hasn't been anything the crazy they have ONE swoc championship in the three major boys sports. Let's not get carried away here and say Edgewood deserves better competition when they just one their first swoc football title.
#1 I'm not an Edgewood fan, alumni, coach, resident... none of those. I was just saying that I see the issue. #2 They're playing a sub-par schedule compared to other D2 schools in the area and some of that is due to conference teams (Little Miami, Ross, Talawanda) not being high level competition. Winning conference championships is great, but what's more important is playoff success. Prepare yourself for weeks 11 and beyond with your regular season schedule. The fact is Edgewood's schedule is weak compared to Kings, Anderson, Winton Woods, Princeton, LaSalle. They need to see teams like this throughout the season in order to prepare and get to the level they want to be at. Some programs, coaches, communities hang their hats on conference titles and if that's what makes you happy... fine. Edgewood doesn't strike me as one of those though. They want playoffs runs and a chance to play for it all! Part of the schedule is their fault though... Monroe and Badin have no business being there at this point.
Old 05-17-17, 08:48 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
#1 I'm not an Edgewood fan, alumni, coach, resident... none of those. I was just saying that I see the issue. #2 They're playing a sub-par schedule compared to other D2 schools in the area and some of that is due to conference teams (Little Miami, Ross, Talawanda) not being high level competition. Winning conference championships is great, but what's more important is playoff success. Prepare yourself for weeks 11 and beyond with your regular season schedule. The fact is Edgewood's schedule is weak compared to Kings, Anderson, Winton Woods, Princeton, LaSalle. They need to see teams like this throughout the season in order to prepare and get to the level they want to be at. Some programs, coaches, communities hang their hats on conference titles and if that's what makes you happy... fine. Edgewood doesn't strike me as one of those though. They want playoffs runs and a chance to play for it all! Part of the schedule is their fault though... Monroe and Badin have no business being there at this point.

I understand what you're saying. The thing with public schools like Ross, Talawanda, and Little Miami is every so many years they'll have a class or two come through thats filled with studs .... then they'll have nothing for a few years. There needs to be some kind of consistency.
Old 05-17-17, 08:50 AM
All District

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You've missed the mark Genius. The complaint about the conference isn't the competition, its the scheduling issues and the fact that over half the schools have no following or very poor representation. That leads to low gate, concession etc.... AND, some of these schools can't field JV and Freshman teams even for football or varsity in other sports. Fact of the matter is Edgewood has more fans in the stands at the JV football games then some have at varsity. Its ridiculous. The reason the Badin, Franklin, Monroe games are relevant is tradition, and THEY SHOW UP. There should be no reason why a traveling Edgewood has more people in the stands then a home Talawanda, Ross, or Little Miami, but that is the case and it seems to get worse every year.
Old 05-17-17, 08:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. The thing with public schools like Ross, Talawanda, and Little Miami is every so many years they'll have a class or two come through thats filled with studs .... then they'll have nothing for a few years. There needs to be some kind of consistency.
Those schools are so big that "turnover" shouldn't be as drastic as it is. Develop a program and not just a good team every so often. It's about the whole deal. Like Pull said... the traveling is pathetic. There are SBC schools that travel way better than the SWOC teams mentioned. Those schools have to work to get those things back. Unfortunately, teams like Edgewood end up suffering.

Also... why in the world does the league have this incredibly odd open week for some teams? Is that still the void Wilmington left when they exited? That needs to go.
Old 05-17-17, 08:57 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
You've missed the mark Genius. The complaint about the conference isn't the competition, its the scheduling issues and the fact that over half the schools have no following or very poor representation. That leads to low gate, concession etc.... AND, some of these schools can't field JV and Freshman teams even for football or varsity in other sports. Fact of the matter is Edgewood has more fans in the stands at the JV football games then some have at varsity. Its ridiculous. The reason the Badin, Franklin, Monroe games are relevant is tradition, and THEY SHOW UP. There should be no reason why a traveling Edgewood has more people in the stands then a home Talawanda, Ross, or Little Miami, but that is the case and it seems to get worse every year.

I thought there was a pretty good crowd for the Ross Edgewood game as there always is ..... and I was at the jv game at Edgewood and I'm pretty sure Ross had just as many fans there maybe even a little more than Edgewood had ...
Old 05-17-17, 09:17 AM
All District

Quote:
I thought there was a pretty good crowd for the Ross Edgewood game as there always is ..... and I was at the jv game at Edgewood and I'm pretty sure Ross had just as many fans there maybe even a little more than Edgewood had ...
You mean the combo JV/Freshman game that was played due to Ross not being able to field both teams? The one where the Edgewood coaches had to throw together a combo team, and sort out positions during warm ups? That game?

The sloppiest game Edgewood played all season due to these circumstances and the Ross coaches still whined and complained at the end that Edgewood didn't play their freshman. Half the team were freshman the entire game and wear noticeably different uniforms, like completely different; but the Urban Meyer want-to-be throwing a fit about Edgewood cheating. Such awareness speaks volumes to the problem at Ross, wow just wow.

Perfect example of this conference's conditions.
Old 05-17-17, 09:44 AM
Junior Varsity

chopper4565 is on a distinguished road
Edgewood isn't the crown jewel of this conference. I consider that to be Harrison. By student body size, participation and overall location. For Wdgewood to sit on a high horse and judge other schools just speaks volume to the arrogance. And if Edgewood ever had the same schedule as Lasalle etc etc it would find out quickly how far the program still has to go. Nice gym though
Old 05-17-17, 09:49 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper4565 View Post
Edgewood isn't the crown jewel of this conference. I consider that to be Harrison. By student body size, participation and overall location. For Wdgewood to sit on a high horse and judge other schools just speaks volume to the arrogance. And if Edgewood ever had the same schedule as Lasalle etc etc it would find out quickly how far the program still has to go. Nice gym though

Stating fact isn't sitting anywhere and judging, its just fact, don't get your feelings hurt.

And yes Harrison is great. Look forward to those games every year. Always competitive and you never what what will happen. Great facility; need turf though.
Old 05-17-17, 10:32 AM
All American

thehawg27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Chopper makes some valid points. I suppose the Cougar Kool-aide is still pretty strong after last years performance, likely got them reminiscing about "the man in tight shorts" days. I get it.

Edgewood is in the SWOC because it makes sense for them to be in the SWOC. When schools look at the big picture when determining a conference they dont spend a whole lot of time wondering how many people show up to the Freshman/JV games. The Rolling Stones said it best "You cant always get what you want"....dominate the conference you're in multiple sports then come back and argue.
Old 05-17-17, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
Nope, he's been graduated for two years now, but he enjoyed beating up on the fighting possums UH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! How do you think the Rams new coach will be hose?
Uh definitely a Badin guy through and through, but so was Tenore. Don't get firing Tenore must be more to the story. Uh I believe the successful program at Fairfield and Hamilton at least being competitive have hurt Badin more than their coaching staffs.
Old 05-17-17, 10:59 AM
All World

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh definitely a Badin guy through and through, but so was Tenore. Don't get firing Tenore must be more to the story. Uh I believe the successful program at Fairfield and Hamilton at least being competitive have hurt Badin more than their coaching staffs.
Tenore wasn't in the old boy network hose, the powers that be wanted him gone a long time ago. The new AD caved to this group and Yordy was hand picked long before Tenore got fired, they were just waiting for a losing season. Ah HS sports, aint they grand?
Old 05-17-17, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You mean the combo JV/Freshman game that was played due to Ross not being able to field both teams? The one where the Edgewood coaches had to throw together a combo team, and sort out positions during warm ups? That game?

The sloppiest game Edgewood played all season due to these circumstances and the Ross coaches still whined and complained at the end that Edgewood didn't play their freshman. Half the team were freshman the entire game and wear noticeably different uniforms, like completely different; but the Urban Meyer want-to-be throwing a fit about Edgewood cheating. Such awareness speaks volumes to the problem at Ross, wow just wow.

The Ross program is falling and while I understand why they'd like to play Badin, the way they dumped Goshen was classless. Their AD sent an email saying "sorry, but we're backing out on you" in March which is WAY late to do something like that. A move that made me think differently of Ross when I heard that.
Old 05-17-17, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh Harrison "overall location?" Uh its in Indiana for crying out loud. Uh heres a news flash for you Lasalle is the best D2 team program in the state and they play in the best league in the state. Comparing any other D2 team to Lassalle is kinda stupid. As far as facilities in the swoc I would say Edgewood is in the top 2 in league and could be number 1.
Old 05-17-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh as far as I can tell, you are the only person who mentioned "crown jewel" on this site. Once again competition is not one of the issues. Scheduling,teams not having freshman teams, teams not showing up for non-varsity games or showing up late, and schools not even fielding varsity teams in some sports. Biggest thing is lack of crowds at all levels in all sports.
Old 05-17-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods could help this league a ton. It wouldn't cure all of its ailments but at least we can field Freshman football , Lacrosse and rowing
Old 05-17-17, 02:51 PM
All District

Facility wise I would say definitely Talawanda or Little Miami. Mt. Healthy is right there too except for "the hill". Edgewood's is in desperite need of an upgrade. Bleachers are too small and outdated. Bathrooms are the same. Press box is too low etc... especially for the crowd they shove in there.
There is that nice healthy field next to the high school though....just sayin. Might cure a lot of scheduling conflicts as well.
Old 05-17-17, 02:53 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Winton Woods could help this league a ton. It wouldn't cure all of its ailments but at least we can field Freshman football , Lacrosse and rowing
We're sure you can with the recruiting area you serve and all. Lol.
Old 05-17-17, 03:36 PM
Junior Varsity

chopper4565 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh as far as I can tell, you are the only person who mentioned "crown jewel" on this site. Once again competition is not one of the issues. Scheduling,teams not having freshman teams, teams not showing up for non-varsity games or showing up late, and schools not even fielding varsity teams in some sports. Biggest thing is lack of crowds at all levels in all sports.
Can always move school districts or pony up for private school. Until then the swoc will press on.
Old 05-17-17, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Can always move school districts or pony up for private school. Until then the swoc will press on.
Uh you forgot the obvious choice, get out of this bush league post haste.
Old 05-17-17, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
We're sure you can with the recruiting area you serve and all. Lol.
Uh guess which D2 public school in the state had the most number of out of district points added to their total? Uh right.
Old 05-17-17, 04:01 PM
Freshman

Quote:

Well one of the reasons why Ross couldn't play a freshman and a jv game is because they don't have the numbers the should have. These past 4 years there has been around 30 kids in each class that didn't play football in high school because they didn't like the coaching staff. That's all changing this year. And Edgewood played mostly freshman on offense but the defense was all JV and it was noticeable because they were wearing varsity uniforms I saw it with my own eyes I was there. While our offense was all freshman kids ...
Old 05-17-17, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Well one of the reasons why Ross couldn't play a freshman and a jv game is because they don't have the numbers the should have. These past 4 years there has been around 30 kids in each class that didn't play football in high school because they didn't like the coaching staff. That's all changing this year. And Edgewood played mostly freshman on offense but the defense was all JV and it was noticeable because they were wearing varsity uniforms I saw it with my own eyes I was there. While our offense was all freshman kids ...
Uh dude if your JV offense was all freshmen last season, Ross is gonna be a lot worse than I thought. I don't remember the JV game in detail but I know it was a mixture of freshmen and JV players for Edgewood with a lot of kids alternating series. Not good for Edgewood or Ross. Don't think you gotta like coaches, but kids have to respect the coaches. Snowflakes don't do well on the football field.
Old 05-17-17, 05:17 PM
All District

Quote:

It was a 50/50 mix the entire game on both sides of the ball and many JV players in other positions to offer more opportunities for a greater number of players to get time. If it was JV on JV or fresh on fresh Ross would have been destroyed. Hell, the Edgewood coaches tried to gift you a quarter by playing an entire what would be fourth string in the end.
But heh, your white pullover wearin, sun hat sporting useless Urban wanna be sure did whine it up.
I know. I WAS RUNNING THE CHAINS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-17, 05:19 PM
Freshman

Quote:
It was a 50/50 mix the entire game on both sides of the ball and many JV players in other positions to offer more opportunities for a greater number of players to get time. If it was JV on JV or fresh on fresh Ross would have been destroyed. Hell, the Edgewood coaches tried to gift you a quarter by playing an entire what would be fourth string in the end.
But heh, your white pullover wearin, sun hat sporting useless Urban wanna be sure did whine it up.
I know. I WAS RUNNING THE CHAINS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban Meyer wanna be, that's pretty funny I'll give you props for that one
Old 05-18-17, 06:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
So should Edgewood have sat their JV kids because Ross had mostly freshman?

Ross isn't the only program experiencing some fallout, it's common for a school like them. Kids are getting lazy or getting pushed by AAU/Select to play only one sport. Which I think is total BS.
Ross may wrangle a few more kids because of a new-ish staff but they're nowhere near 30 kids a class.
Old 05-19-17, 12:43 PM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree.
Old 05-19-17, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh DMR, you missed it this season that rowing league championship was one for the ages. Kids and oars and boats everywhere. All the schools competed hard but it was obvious Little Miami had the advantage. After all their school is named after a river. River rats hard to defeat.
Old 05-19-17, 04:39 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Uh DMR, you missed it this season that rowing league championship was one for the ages. Kids and oars and boats everywhere. All the schools competed hard but it was obvious Little Miami had the advantage. After all their school is named after a river. River rats hard to defeat.

It was a great season, but like you said it's pretty unfair when the best school is named after a river. Poor Winton Woods, they're obviously not too strong being named after a forest. Should be a great season to look forward to next year for the young rowers.
Old 05-19-17, 04:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It was a great season, but like you said it's pretty unfair when the best school is named after a river. Poor Winton Woods, they're obviously not too strong being named after a forest. Should be a great season to look forward to next year for the young rowers.
Uh I see a lumberjack competition in the future of the SWOC.