Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-28-17, 09:39 AM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Thank you SuperD1. I totally agree. Would be a fantastic doubleheader. I don't like missing big games like those. So when they schedule them at almost the same time, I feel cheated out of seeing a great game. Those 2 game on the same day come every 2 years. So to get an opportunity to see both should be made available. It shouldn't be hard to set it up that way. They've been at 2:00 and 5:00 before. Or better yet, rotate it as a doubleheader at Lakewood 1 year, then Byers 2 years later. That would be even better. And a great opportunity to see 4 great teams.
Putting the games back to back on the same field is brilliant. Besides people who want to see both games you give the kids and coaches a half to watch as well. Cleveland's best vs. Cincinnati's best double header. Throw it at the Browns / Bengals stadiums every year. I think that would draw in the 15k range.
Old 06-28-17, 01:39 PM
All Region

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Putting the games back to back on the same field is brilliant. Besides people who want to see both games you give the kids and coaches a half to watch as well. Cleveland's best vs. Cincinnati's best double header. Throw it at the Browns / Bengals stadiums every year. I think that would draw in the 15k range.
100% agree! I'm on it, calling the 4 A.D's right now. Would be sweet if it was just that easy. But now the juices are really pumping. I'm pumped for week 1!
Old 06-28-17, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Darnell Shields commits to Luke Fickell and the Bearcats: http://www.cleveland.com/big-ten-foo...ields_bec.html
Old 07-03-17, 08:06 AM
All American

sehs
Cleveland vs. Cincinatti or Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh would be the two best doubleheaders for high school football in our area. Would love to see the Browns and Steelers alumni get involved, you could include the Erie and Youngstown schools as well.
Old 07-04-17, 09:00 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Reserve schedule on horizon for St. Edward football, includes date with St. Ignatius, possibly Jackson
By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net

Due to the sheer numbers of St. Edward student-athletes who are interested in playing football, the Eagles will play a reserve schedule this year.

In actuality it is not a Varsity B team but a second team in order to get the juniors and seniors game time who might not otherwise get it.

“I was trying to find some teams who have the numbers we do,” St. Edward Head Coach Tom Lombardo said. “Our numbers are impressive right now.”

As of the first week of July, St, Edward has 41 juniors and 45 seniors on the roster. Last year the junior and senior group combined nearly reached 100.

In past years, and is the case with most high school programs, some juniors generally get time in the JV games as long as they stay within the quarters limit. However, St. Edward has 66 sophomores on the roster, more than enough for a full JV team and almost two.

“We have an extremely large number of players and we are actually having the sophomores, the JV team, practice separately from the varsity team,” Coach Lombardo said. “We did that our first mini camp and we’ll do it our second mini camp. We’ll do it in doubles as well.”

The Eagles’ reserve unit will play one game with St. Ignatius probably in early October and a second game possibly with Jackson Township at another time during the season.

“I said to Coach (Chuck) Kyle, is there a way we could play a game for the juniors and seniors who are not getting much time?” Coach Lombardo said. “We could have a game with just those guys. We’ll probably put it on the schedule as a JV game, but in essence it’s a varsity reserve team.”

Although there may be a game with Massillon Jackson, it has yet to be confirmed.

Massillon High (Washington) and McKinley played reserve schedules in years past, but the populations of those two communities have shrunk (many of them moving to Jackson, in fact) and haven’t really been able to do much of it lately (even with the Timken merger in Canton). Also, Westlake ran a reserve schedule in the 1980s and even had a head coach for the reserve team in Bobby Seedhouse.

“We tried them and they don’t do it any more,” Coach Lombardo said. “I tried Mentor. Massillon’s numbers are nowhere near what they used to be.”

People at Ignatius called OHSAA and the state said that it has to be called a “JV” game because it can’t go into the computer points as a true varsity game.

“We have Green and Gold varsity wrestling teams,” Coach Lombardo said. “I don’t know if you are allowed to have a second varsity team because of the computer points. In wrestling that’s not the case. It’s not really a Green team. We’re playing a game with the reserves that will be counted on the JV schedule.”

In a way, St. Edward has three “JV” rugby teams and St. Ignatius has three “JV” hockey teams. This gets more people involved in student-athletics, which should be a pleasant sight in anyone’s book.

A student-athlete comes to all the conditioning in the summer, lifts weights inhte winter, attends mini camps, does two-a-days and practices all fall. Such a feature allows some of those who might only see game time during mop-up session if that get a crack at performing under real game conditions beyond their freshman and JV years.

“Our kids are really excited about that,” Coach Lombardo said. “Some of them aren’t going to get much time. It gives them something to look forward to. It keeps them motivated. We’re excited about it. It should be a good thing.”

This is also a throwback to the late 1960s and early ‘70s, at the height of the Baby Boom, when St. Edward had a Varsity B football team (prior to the computer playoffs) and the combined A and B teams were known as the “Eagles Flock.”
Old 07-05-17, 09:59 AM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
The current football numbers remind me of the late '70's...we had over 100 juniors and seniors on the varsity squad. JV's practiced with the varsity for individual position work, but then broke out as a squad and practiced separately from the varsity. It was a different era, but it was very rare for a sophomore to dress on Friday or Saturday evenings with the varsity squad.

Great to see the interest in Eagle football return and I am looking forward to the 2017 season.

Go Eagles!
Old 07-06-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

Schedule this year seems to set up nicely. Seven home games. The most winnable ones are early in the season and should allow for the new faces to acclimate before a couple long trips and finishing with Moe and Ignatius at home. No trip to the Pit this year (thank God).
Old 07-09-17, 09:44 AM
All American

sehs
I would agree, some tough road games (Naperville and Cathedral) a very winnable one in Erie and the rest at home.
Old 07-16-17, 02:59 PM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
I had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with Dan Flaherty the other day. Dan was the Head Football Coach of the Eagles from 1976 thru 1984 with a winning percentage of .722. For those connected to the Eagle's community in that era, they will also remember "coach" as an educator who taught various courses at St. Edward High School.

Coach is now leading the charge of a very worthy cause or "Love a Nurse Run". The fund raising event is now approaching four years old and all money raised goes to nursing scholarships for candidates located in Northeast Ohio. I would like to ask those that are connected to the community to visit www.hermescleveland.com to learn more about this fundraising event. Visit their calendar of events and look for this road race that is scheduled to be held on October 1st. Register to run/walk or donate money to this charitable event.

Coach keeps the memory of one Alice Flaherty alive after she lost her battle to cancer. She was a 40+ year nursing veteran at Lakewood Hospital and enjoyed competing in local road races.

Thank you...Go Eagles.
Old 07-16-17, 07:09 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
In the spirit of "The Pete Franklin Show".....

.....I'd like to propose a trade:

Lakewood High needs players. Let's send the Ed's "B" team over to LHS, put them in purple, and have them play the Rangers' SWC schedule on Friday nights.

In exchange, the LHS marching band will throw on some green and gold and play some Saturday gigs at the Eagle home games.

It's a win/win....no more "bandless games" for Ed's, and a suddenly competitive program for the Rangers.

Perhaps we could even get a corporate sponsorship from Folgers.

Old 07-17-17, 08:28 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Ed's has a band and cheerleaders. What else have you got?
Old 07-17-17, 08:55 AM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
I had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with Dan Flaherty the other day. Dan was the Head Football Coach of the Eagles from 1976 thru 1984 with a winning percentage of .722. For those connected to the Eagle's community in that era, they will also remember "coach" as an educator who taught various courses at St. Edward High School.

Coach is now leading the charge of a very worthy cause or "Love a Nurse Run". The fund raising event is now approaching four years old and all money raised goes to nursing scholarships for candidates located in Northeast Ohio. I would like to ask those that are connected to the community to visit www.hermescleveland.com to learn more about this fundraising event. Visit their calendar of events and look for this road race that is scheduled to be held on October 1st. Register to run/walk or donate money to this charitable event.

Coach keeps the memory of one Alice Flaherty alive after she lost her battle to cancer. She was a 40+ year nursing veteran at Lakewood Hospital and enjoyed competing in local road races.

Thank you...Go Eagles.
This is a great cause and Dan and Alice were a model married couple for anyone that knew them. He's a great guy and at one point was St. Ed's winningest football coach, its too bad the playoff system was the way it was back then, almost all of his teams would have made it.
Old 07-17-17, 09:01 AM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
Ed's has a band and cheerleaders. What else have you got?
Ed's has a competition winning band, their problem is their size. The school is just under 1,000 boys now but with 13 or 14 sports, most of which have at least a JV, that is less kids, less time and less facilities for many of the other activities.

I am bothered by the bandless games too but part of this is how Eagle football and scheduling issues has left us with many more Saturday afternoon games or a major out of town trip that the band cannot go to. It's just a reality now. It's like how even in the '90s with mostly mediocre football teams, the home side was packed, but with streaming and the timing of games, it does not happen anymore. Not to mention there is not as much to many of the games since we cannot play as much local competition as we once did.
Old 07-22-17, 10:34 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Don't pay a lot of attention to bands, but does seem Eagles have an abnormal abundance of xylophones.
Old 07-23-17, 03:17 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
In my best Allen Iverson impression, we talkin' about band? Band?
Old 07-23-17, 10:47 PM
Junior Varsity

PG 17 is on a distinguished road
St.ends have any televised games like they did last year ..??? Great game vs. Pine richland
Old 07-24-17, 08:02 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG 17 View Post
St.ends have any televised games like they did last year ..??? Great game vs. Pine richland
Don't believe so, but with a heavy home schedule this year you can catch 7 games via the live web stream.
Old 08-01-17, 12:28 PM
All American

sehs
Looks like the PD already visited St. Ed's camp.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/
Old 08-01-17, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Looks like the PD already visited St. Ed's camp.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ll-camp-visit/
Nice little piece on Fattah. He will be the anchor of that defense this year. Very active player and ferocious hitter.
Old 08-08-17, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

First scrimmage of the year tomorrow at the newly built Tom Benson Stadium against McKinley. I will not be in attendance, but was down there for the recent HOF induction ceremony and recommend checking it out. There is still work to be done, but it should be quite the high school venue once completely finished. Can't imagine they will pack that place for many regular season games other than Massillon, but the state championship games should be a pretty fun atmosphere compared to the cavernous Ohio Stadium. One thing I did notice sitting in the southeast endzone was that the seats appeared to be used. Either that, or they got pretty dinged up during transportation or installation. The backs do have some give which allows you to recline a bit, which I found nice, but some larger folks may find them a little unsturdy.

If anyone does go, please provide some intel. Not sure what the format will be as these early scrimmages tend to be more along the lines of a jointly held practice rather than a game setting, but any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-17, 08:16 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
What are times for Canton tomorrow?
Old 08-08-17, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What are times for Canton tomorrow?
Website says 10AM.
Old 08-09-17, 12:55 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
Anyone have any information on the scrimmage this morning?
Old 08-09-17, 01:08 PM
All District

jl6808 is on a distinguished road
Coming from a spectator with no dogs in the race. I'd say very mediocre. Couldn't exactly move the ball through the air. A lot of drops and a lot of passes off the mark. The boot rollout to the TE was a nice play that seemed to be the only way of moving it through the air. Qb-RB read option was a thing of beauty, could honestly say if it was televised the camera would have kept panning the wrong direction.

Defensively Mck moved the ball pretty consistently on them. Gashed them for a couple big time runs. And the corners were giving to much cushion and Mck continuously ran curl routes and routes where the receiver would sit down in the middle and move the ball 4-6 yards.

My guess would be that if that was a real game it would have come down to the 4th quarter without a doubt. Mck is a solid team but by no means a title contender in D1 so I don't know how that would speak for Eds potential
Old 08-09-17, 02:39 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl6808 View Post
Coming from a spectator with no dogs in the race. I'd say very mediocre. Couldn't exactly move the ball through the air. A lot of drops and a lot of passes off the mark. The boot rollout to the TE was a nice play that seemed to be the only way of moving it through the air. Qb-RB read option was a thing of beauty, could honestly say if it was televised the camera would have kept panning the wrong direction.

Defensively Mck moved the ball pretty consistently on them. Gashed them for a couple big time runs. And the corners were giving to much cushion and Mck continuously ran curl routes and routes where the receiver would sit down in the middle and move the ball 4-6 yards.

My guess would be that if that was a real game it would have come down to the 4th quarter without a doubt. Mck is a solid team but by no means a title contender in D1 so I don't know how that would speak for Eds potential
Pretty good run down of the scrimmage.I live in Florida but watched the scrimmage on the construction cam.I know it's only a scrimmage but it feels good to get the best of Lakewood St Edward.If it was a real game it would be close.Good scrimmage for both teams.
Old 08-10-17, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

Norm Weber had a little write-up on the athletic website about the scrimmage. Nothing of substance really other than a few quotes from Lombo. Seems like tackling was a big issue for the Eagles and may have led to some of the big gains for McKinley that jl6808 referenced. Lombardo stated that they don't do much live tackling in practice. My how times have changed.
Old 08-13-17, 07:53 AM
All American

sehs
How did the scrimmage go yesterday?
Old 08-13-17, 09:51 AM
All Ohio

SSS is on a distinguished road
Olentangy twitter account @ohsbravesfb has some video clips on Periscope. Looks like Ed's did ok from the little I watched.
Old 08-14-17, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

http://sehseaglesfootball.blogspot.c...scrimmage.html

Quote:
By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net

Two scrimmages into the preseason, St. Edward football is making progress, but work still needs to be done to get ready for season opener Aug. 25 in Erie against McDowell.

The Eagles had their lone home scrimmage this summer Saturday against Olentangy, out of Lewis Center.

“We were working on our tackling, our effort, and our enthusiasm,” St. Edward Head Coach Tom Lombardo said. “Particularly on defense, I thought we really improved from the McKinley scrimmage.”

Olentangy did not make many first downs and didn’t score on the first-team/more experienced defense.

“We also hit some big plays offensively with our skill guys and our linemen did a decent job,” Coach Lombardo said. “The physicality definitely moved in the right direction,”

Strides were made, but many more need to be taken within the next two weeks, including Friday’s jamboree scrimmage in Paul Brown Tiger Stadium against Massillon.

“We’re still nowhere near where we want to be,” Coach Lombardo said. “There was an improvement from Wednesday to Saturday. The more they play the more accustomed they will be to making open-field tackles.”

Scrimmages will be the closest thing this new edition of the St. Edward Eagles will get.

“There’s practice and there’s game experience,” Coach Lombardo said. “A lot of these guys didn’t play the last couple years. A lot didn’t play last year. We were a senior-laden team last year so it still takes time. I believe in the three-game theory. By the fourth game I usually have a good idea of what my team is, who they really are.”

Offensively, the Eagles had some big plays. The Eagles had a big screen pass for a touchdown, threw a long touchdown pass, and had a long run. They also had some solid six-, seven-, and eight-yard gains, which are crucial since the major nemesis of the Eagles in 2016 was third-down conversions.

“Third and short is better than third and long,” Coach Lombardo said. “All in all, we improved since Wednesday.”
Old 08-16-17, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Looks like one of the guys I thought might vie for one of the open LB positions, junior Robert Jakubs, has transferred to West Geauga.