Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 06-26-17, 07:25 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 356
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Well my week 9 is ruined. I was planning on going to see St. X vs St. Ignatius at Byers at 2:00, then going to Moeller at St. Eds at 5:00. Now it looks like St X vs Iggy is at 3:00, Moeller at Eds is at 4:00. I can only go see 1 of those. I wish that week could be coordinated better so people could see both. In 2015 the games were at 2:00 and 5:00. I loved that I could see both. Kind of a shame when you have an opportunity to see the 2 big boys of Cleveland playing 2 big boys of Cincinnati, and they play them basically at the same time. SUCKS!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 06-26-17, 08:13 PM
tom 48 tom 48 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-06
Posts: 3,816
tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Well my week 9 is ruined. I was planning on going to see St. X vs St. Ignatius at Byers at 2:00, then going to Moeller at St. Eds at 5:00. Now it looks like St X vs Iggy is at 3:00, Moeller at Eds is at 4:00. I can only go see 1 of those. I wish that week could be coordinated better so people could see both. In 2015 the games were at 2:00 and 5:00. I loved that I could see both. Kind of a shame when you have an opportunity to see the 2 big boys of Cleveland playing 2 big boys of Cincinnati, and they play them basically at the same time. SUCKS!
Perhaps this is the time to propose a double-header: Cleveland vs. Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 06-26-17, 08:32 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Fan of Eagle
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Avon
Posts: 19,222
EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Well my week 9 is ruined. I was planning on going to see St. X vs St. Ignatius at Byers at 2:00, then going to Moeller at St. Eds at 5:00. Now it looks like St X vs Iggy is at 3:00, Moeller at Eds is at 4:00. I can only go see 1 of those. I wish that week could be coordinated better so people could see both. In 2015 the games were at 2:00 and 5:00. I loved that I could see both. Kind of a shame when you have an opportunity to see the 2 big boys of Cleveland playing 2 big boys of Cincinnati, and they play them basically at the same time. SUCKS!
Obviously skip the Ignatius game, attend Moeller-Eds at 4. You can pick up a 1PM game nearby, Solon @ Shaker Heights.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 06-27-17, 08:13 AM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 356
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Obviously skip the Ignatius game, attend Moeller-Eds at 4. You can pick up a 1PM game nearby, Solon @ Shaker Heights.
I had a feeling someone on this thread would suggest to skip the Ignatius game and go to that Eds game. Love it. I will probably have to wait till that week and make a Wednesday or Thursday decision. Last year there was a week that didn't really have a marquee kind of game, so I went to Shaker Heights at Mentor. It was a blowout in the first quarter. So I said no more Shaker Heights games for awhile. I'll be over there somewhere that Friday though. Maybe Euclid at Mentor. eek 9 Friday is kind of weak. That potential week 9 doubleheader was going to be one of my favorite weeks. Actually all 10 weeks are looking pretty good for me right now. That schedule switch is a minor setback. I'll just have to pick 1 and enjoy the one I pick. Looking forward to seeing Huber Hts. Wayne vs. Pine Richland week 1. You guys are very familiar with Wayne, and got a sample of Pine Richland last year at Lakewood and PR's stud QB.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06-28-17, 12:08 AM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 984
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
I had a feeling someone on this thread would suggest to skip the Ignatius game and go to that Eds game. Love it. I will probably have to wait till that week and make a Wednesday or Thursday decision.
It would benefit both schools to have these games scheduled so people could attend both.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 06-28-17, 08:28 AM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 356
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
It would benefit both schools to have these games scheduled so people could attend both.
Thank you SuperD1. I totally agree. Would be a fantastic doubleheader. I don't like missing big games like those. So when they schedule them at almost the same time, I feel cheated out of seeing a great game. Those 2 game on the same day come every 2 years. So to get an opportunity to see both should be made available. It shouldn't be hard to set it up that way. They've been at 2:00 and 5:00 before. Or better yet, rotate it as a doubleheader at Lakewood 1 year, then Byers 2 years later. That would be even better. And a great opportunity to see 4 great teams.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 06-28-17, 09:39 AM
SuperD1 SuperD1 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Posts: 984
SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Thank you SuperD1. I totally agree. Would be a fantastic doubleheader. I don't like missing big games like those. So when they schedule them at almost the same time, I feel cheated out of seeing a great game. Those 2 game on the same day come every 2 years. So to get an opportunity to see both should be made available. It shouldn't be hard to set it up that way. They've been at 2:00 and 5:00 before. Or better yet, rotate it as a doubleheader at Lakewood 1 year, then Byers 2 years later. That would be even better. And a great opportunity to see 4 great teams.
Putting the games back to back on the same field is brilliant. Besides people who want to see both games you give the kids and coaches a half to watch as well. Cleveland's best vs. Cincinnati's best double header. Throw it at the Browns / Bengals stadiums every year. I think that would draw in the 15k range.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 06-28-17, 01:39 PM
bkmk1 bkmk1 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-22-16
Location: Erie,PA
Posts: 356
bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Putting the games back to back on the same field is brilliant. Besides people who want to see both games you give the kids and coaches a half to watch as well. Cleveland's best vs. Cincinnati's best double header. Throw it at the Browns / Bengals stadiums every year. I think that would draw in the 15k range.
100% agree! I'm on it, calling the 4 A.D's right now. Would be sweet if it was just that easy. But now the juices are really pumping. I'm pumped for week 1!
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 06-28-17, 06:34 PM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 5,848
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Darnell Shields commits to Luke Fickell and the Bearcats: http://www.cleveland.com/big-ten-foo...ields_bec.html
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 06-29-17, 05:09 AM
DB 04 DB 04 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-09-15
Posts: 479
DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Putting the games back to back on the same field is brilliant. Besides people who want to see both games you give the kids and coaches a half to watch as well. Cleveland's best vs. Cincinnati's best double header. Throw it at the Browns / Bengals stadiums every year. I think that would draw in the 15k range.
That's a good idea.

Don't forget TV ratings! They would be sky high!
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 07-03-17, 08:06 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,016
sehs
Cleveland vs. Cincinatti or Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh would be the two best doubleheaders for high school football in our area. Would love to see the Browns and Steelers alumni get involved, you could include the Erie and Youngstown schools as well.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 07-04-17, 09:00 PM
mailman112 mailman112 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-15-11
Posts: 2,116
mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Reserve schedule on horizon for St. Edward football, includes date with St. Ignatius, possibly Jackson
By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net

Due to the sheer numbers of St. Edward student-athletes who are interested in playing football, the Eagles will play a reserve schedule this year.

In actuality it is not a Varsity B team but a second team in order to get the juniors and seniors game time who might not otherwise get it.

“I was trying to find some teams who have the numbers we do,” St. Edward Head Coach Tom Lombardo said. “Our numbers are impressive right now.”

As of the first week of July, St, Edward has 41 juniors and 45 seniors on the roster. Last year the junior and senior group combined nearly reached 100.

In past years, and is the case with most high school programs, some juniors generally get time in the JV games as long as they stay within the quarters limit. However, St. Edward has 66 sophomores on the roster, more than enough for a full JV team and almost two.

“We have an extremely large number of players and we are actually having the sophomores, the JV team, practice separately from the varsity team,” Coach Lombardo said. “We did that our first mini camp and we’ll do it our second mini camp. We’ll do it in doubles as well.”

The Eagles’ reserve unit will play one game with St. Ignatius probably in early October and a second game possibly with Jackson Township at another time during the season.

“I said to Coach (Chuck) Kyle, is there a way we could play a game for the juniors and seniors who are not getting much time?” Coach Lombardo said. “We could have a game with just those guys. We’ll probably put it on the schedule as a JV game, but in essence it’s a varsity reserve team.”

Although there may be a game with Massillon Jackson, it has yet to be confirmed.

Massillon High (Washington) and McKinley played reserve schedules in years past, but the populations of those two communities have shrunk (many of them moving to Jackson, in fact) and haven’t really been able to do much of it lately (even with the Timken merger in Canton). Also, Westlake ran a reserve schedule in the 1980s and even had a head coach for the reserve team in Bobby Seedhouse.

“We tried them and they don’t do it any more,” Coach Lombardo said. “I tried Mentor. Massillon’s numbers are nowhere near what they used to be.”

People at Ignatius called OHSAA and the state said that it has to be called a “JV” game because it can’t go into the computer points as a true varsity game.

“We have Green and Gold varsity wrestling teams,” Coach Lombardo said. “I don’t know if you are allowed to have a second varsity team because of the computer points. In wrestling that’s not the case. It’s not really a Green team. We’re playing a game with the reserves that will be counted on the JV schedule.”

In a way, St. Edward has three “JV” rugby teams and St. Ignatius has three “JV” hockey teams. This gets more people involved in student-athletics, which should be a pleasant sight in anyone’s book.

A student-athlete comes to all the conditioning in the summer, lifts weights inhte winter, attends mini camps, does two-a-days and practices all fall. Such a feature allows some of those who might only see game time during mop-up session if that get a crack at performing under real game conditions beyond their freshman and JV years.

“Our kids are really excited about that,” Coach Lombardo said. “Some of them aren’t going to get much time. It gives them something to look forward to. It keeps them motivated. We’re excited about it. It should be a good thing.”


This is also a throwback to the late 1960s and early ‘70s, at the height of the Baby Boom, when St. Edward had a Varsity B football team (prior to the computer playoffs) and the combined A and B teams were known as the “Eagles Flock.”
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 07-05-17, 09:59 AM
slammer20 slammer20 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-08-05
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,066
slammer20 is on a distinguished road
The current football numbers remind me of the late '70's...we had over 100 juniors and seniors on the varsity squad. JV's practiced with the varsity for individual position work, but then broke out as a squad and practiced separately from the varsity. It was a different era, but it was very rare for a sophomore to dress on Friday or Saturday evenings with the varsity squad.

Great to see the interest in Eagle football return and I am looking forward to the 2017 season.

Go Eagles!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 07-06-17, 08:55 AM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 5,848
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Schedule this year seems to set up nicely. Seven home games. The most winnable ones are early in the season and should allow for the new faces to acclimate before a couple long trips and finishing with Moe and Ignatius at home. No trip to the Pit this year (thank God).
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 07-09-17, 09:44 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,016
sehs
I would agree, some tough road games (Naperville and Cathedral) a very winnable one in Erie and the rest at home.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 07-16-17, 02:59 PM
slammer20 slammer20 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-08-05
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,066
slammer20 is on a distinguished road
I had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with Dan Flaherty the other day. Dan was the Head Football Coach of the Eagles from 1976 thru 1984 with a winning percentage of .722. For those connected to the Eagle's community in that era, they will also remember "coach" as an educator who taught various courses at St. Edward High School.

Coach is now leading the charge of a very worthy cause or "Love a Nurse Run". The fund raising event is now approaching four years old and all money raised goes to nursing scholarships for candidates located in Northeast Ohio. I would like to ask those that are connected to the community to visit www.hermescleveland.com to learn more about this fundraising event. Visit their calendar of events and look for this road race that is scheduled to be held on October 1st. Register to run/walk or donate money to this charitable event.

Coach keeps the memory of one Alice Flaherty alive after she lost her battle to cancer. She was a 40+ year nursing veteran at Lakewood Hospital and enjoyed competing in local road races.

Thank you...Go Eagles.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 07-16-17, 07:09 PM
MitchVigil MitchVigil is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-16-10
Posts: 108
MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
In the spirit of "The Pete Franklin Show".....

.....I'd like to propose a trade:

Lakewood High needs players. Let's send the Ed's "B" team over to LHS, put them in purple, and have them play the Rangers' SWC schedule on Friday nights.

In exchange, the LHS marching band will throw on some green and gold and play some Saturday gigs at the Eagle home games.

It's a win/win....no more "bandless games" for Ed's, and a suddenly competitive program for the Rangers.

Perhaps we could even get a corporate sponsorship from Folgers.

Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 07-17-17, 08:28 AM
SSS SSS is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-03-12
Posts: 517
SSS is on a distinguished road
Ed's has a band and cheerleaders. What else have you got?
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 07-17-17, 08:55 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,016
sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
I had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with Dan Flaherty the other day. Dan was the Head Football Coach of the Eagles from 1976 thru 1984 with a winning percentage of .722. For those connected to the Eagle's community in that era, they will also remember "coach" as an educator who taught various courses at St. Edward High School.

Coach is now leading the charge of a very worthy cause or "Love a Nurse Run". The fund raising event is now approaching four years old and all money raised goes to nursing scholarships for candidates located in Northeast Ohio. I would like to ask those that are connected to the community to visit www.hermescleveland.com to learn more about this fundraising event. Visit their calendar of events and look for this road race that is scheduled to be held on October 1st. Register to run/walk or donate money to this charitable event.

Coach keeps the memory of one Alice Flaherty alive after she lost her battle to cancer. She was a 40+ year nursing veteran at Lakewood Hospital and enjoyed competing in local road races.

Thank you...Go Eagles.
This is a great cause and Dan and Alice were a model married couple for anyone that knew them. He's a great guy and at one point was St. Ed's winningest football coach, its too bad the playoff system was the way it was back then, almost all of his teams would have made it.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 07-17-17, 09:01 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,016
sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS View Post
Ed's has a band and cheerleaders. What else have you got?
Ed's has a competition winning band, their problem is their size. The school is just under 1,000 boys now but with 13 or 14 sports, most of which have at least a JV, that is less kids, less time and less facilities for many of the other activities.

I am bothered by the bandless games too but part of this is how Eagle football and scheduling issues has left us with many more Saturday afternoon games or a major out of town trip that the band cannot go to. It's just a reality now. It's like how even in the '90s with mostly mediocre football teams, the home side was packed, but with streaming and the timing of games, it does not happen anymore. Not to mention there is not as much to many of the games since we cannot play as much local competition as we once did.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 07-22-17, 10:34 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Fan of Eagle
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Avon
Posts: 19,222
EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Don't pay a lot of attention to bands, but does seem Eagles have an abnormal abundance of xylophones.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 07-23-17, 03:17 PM
eaglepride eaglepride is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-12-02
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 3,502
eaglepride is on a distinguished road
In my best Allen Iverson impression, we talkin' about band? Band?
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 07-23-17, 10:47 PM
PG 17 PG 17 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 07-14-17
Posts: 8
PG 17 is on a distinguished road
St.ends have any televised games like they did last year ..??? Great game vs. Pine richland
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 07-24-17, 08:02 AM
EaglePride01 EaglePride01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-04-05
Posts: 5,848
EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG 17 View Post
St.ends have any televised games like they did last year ..??? Great game vs. Pine richland
Don't believe so, but with a heavy home schedule this year you can catch 7 games via the live web stream.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Canton McKinley Football Season IUDOGS Football 232 06-24-17 02:40 PM
2016 - 2017 Canton McKinley Girls Basketball Season IUDOGS Girls Basketball 57 03-20-17 09:41 AM
Want to play for the Cincinnati Fury in 2017? CinciFury Baseball 0 07-25-16 02:59 PM
2017 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team - Now Accepting Applications Ohio TofC Wrestling 1 06-02-16 01:37 PM
St. Edward @ St. Ignatius EagleFan Football 76 11-03-14 12:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz