Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-07-17, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Mentor Cardinals Football 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Thank you. You are a meaningful and valued member of this forum.

Is that another shot from an impartial moderator ?

I told you where to find the stuff by giving you a newspaper that covers it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-17, 01:21 PM
All American

fallsdog is on a distinguished road
If it helps, I consider you to be a valuable member of this on line high school football message board community as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-17, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

Thanks falls

Honestly his opinion doesn't mean much. But coming from a moderator who should be impartial after giving a valid resource was just funny

Old 07-07-17, 02:15 PM
All American

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
I am hoping that the Mentor coaching staff has learned their lesson from the first six games of last year and continue to use Tatarunas like the last four games -- primarily as a pocket passer. He is not in the Trubisky of Krizancic mold, continually rolling out and using his legs to run on the outside. The O-line is supposed to be good and hopefully Tatarunas will be better at quick reads and getting rid of the ball, along with going through progressions better. This is his chance to shine. Not too many QBs get the chance to start three full seasons, especially at Mentor. Has Mentor ever had a QB start the season opener as a sophomore?
Old 07-07-17, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Thom Abbott did it from 2001-2003

Old 07-07-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
I am hoping that the Mentor coaching staff has learned their lesson from the first six games of last year and continue to use Tatarunas like the last four games -- primarily as a pocket passer. He is not in the Trubisky of Krizancic mold, continually rolling out and using his legs to run on the outside. The O-line is supposed to be good and hopefully Tatarunas will be better at quick reads and getting rid of the ball, along with going through progressions better. This is his chance to shine. Not too many QBs get the chance to start three full seasons, especially at Mentor. Has Mentor ever had a QB start the season opener as a sophomore?
Abbott (2001-2003) - started at QB as a sophomore
Jacquemain (2004) - started at QB as a sophomore at Lake Catholic
Tanski (2005-2007) - started some games as a sophomore
Mayse (2008-2009) - started junior/senior seasons
Trubisky (2010-2012) - started as a sophomore with Colton Wallace
Krizancic (2013) - started QB as a senior, started at WR as sophomore/junior
Floriea (2014) - started QB as a senior after transferring from Lake
Tatarunas (2015-2017) - three-year starter at QB

Even in 2013, it was a sophomore (Matt Eiswerth) that was given some starts at QB while Krizancic was recovering from injury.
More often than not, if you AREN'T getting varsity looks as a sophomore at Mentor, then you probably aren't in the future plans at QB. Krizancic is pretty much the only exception in the 2000's. Every other productive QB got the reins a bit (if not full-time) during 10th grade.

P.S. There is a sophomore QB on this roster that might find his way to some varsity action this year. Dare I say, maybe even taking a productive snap
or starting a game? Just throwing it out there...
Old 07-07-17, 04:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Abbott (2001-2003) - started at QB as a sophomore
Jacquemain (2004) - started at QB as a sophomore at Lake Catholic
Tanski (2005-2007) - started some games as a sophomore
Mayse (2008-2009) - started junior/senior seasons
Trubisky (2010-2012) - started as a sophomore with Colton Wallace
Krizancic (2013) - started QB as a senior, started at WR as sophomore/junior
Floriea (2014) - started QB as a senior after transferring from Lake
Tatarunas (2015-2017) - three-year starter at QB

Even in 2013, it was a sophomore (Matt Eiswerth) that was given some starts at QB while Krizancic was recovering from injury.
More often than not, if you AREN'T getting varsity looks as a sophomore at Mentor, then you probably aren't in the future plans at QB. Krizancic is pretty much the only exception in the 2000's. Every other productive QB got the reins a bit (if not full-time) during 10th grade.

P.S. There is a sophomore QB on this roster that might find his way to some varsity action this year. Dare I say, maybe even taking a productive snap
or starting a game? Just throwing it out there...
So as far as anyone can recall, there have only been two that started from the opening day of their sophomore year at QB -- Tatarunas and Abbott.

Has either sophomore QB stepped up to the point where one could be a real game-changer? Has either been getting snaps in 7-on-7 varsity competitions? IMO, as long as Tatarunas stays primarily in the pocket, along with only runs up the middle, I don't see anyone supplanting him at QB. Then again, this coaching staff has blown opportunities at winning a state championship, so I suppose nothing should really surprise me.

Last edited by CardzFan1; 07-07-17 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-17, 05:17 PM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So as far as anyone can recall, there have only been two that started from the opening day of their sophomore year at QB -- Tatarunas and Abbott.

Has either sophomore QB stepped up to the point where one could be a real game-changer? Has either been getting snaps in 7-on-7 varsity competitions? IMO, as long as Tatarunas stays primarily in the pocket, along with only runs up the middle, I don't see anyone supplanting him at QB. Then again, this coaching staff has blown opportunities at winning a state championship, so I suppose nothing should really surprise me.
I'm hearing that Soph. QB Chad Rogers isn't playing football, only concentrating on baseball now. He got a couple starts as a Freshman P this Spring. I hear he's ranked pretty highly in OH in the 2020 class.

So that leaves the other Soph., Luke Floriea, in the mix
Old 07-07-17, 11:23 PM
All American

Since Tatarunas hurt his throwing shoulder, did Mentor still participate in any 7-on-7's? With or without him?
Old 07-08-17, 07:28 AM
All Region

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since Tatarunas hurt his throwing shoulder, did Mentor still participate in any 7-on-7's? With or without him?
Without. They've had one 7-7 so far (several teams, not exactly sure who other than Kirtland and maybe Kenston). I heard Floriea and Shea split the QB duties, and I have to assume Floriea got the majority of snaps.

Word is Tadas will be fine.
Old 07-08-17, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Mentor has a very talented incoming frosh QB this year. Obviously he won't see any varsity time this year but I'd be surprised if he isn't Tatarunas replacement in 2018. He's also very good at basketball..
Old 07-08-17, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Mentor has a very talented incoming frosh QB this year. Obviously he won't see any varsity time this year but I'd be surprised if he isn't Tatarunas replacement in 2018. He's also very good at basketball..

Name?

Old 07-08-17, 11:01 AM
All American

Quote:
Floriea also plays basketball and lettered as a freshman. It will be interesting which sport the two of them focus on. Depending on the competition in each sport, some can do both. Unlike football, basketball has never produced a D-I recruit. Justin Fritts probably had a chance in basketball, but wanted to also play baseball in college.
Old 07-08-17, 11:11 AM
All American

Mentor has been extremely fortunate throughout the years to have their top players stay injury-free. Hopefully, this trend continues.
Old 07-08-17, 11:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Name?

8th grade QB from Ridge (Kip) last year. Probably the best athlete in all three middle schools last year.

Last edited by fbrox; 07-08-17 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 03:09 PM
All American

Quote:
8th grade QB from Ridge (Kip) last year. Probably the best athlete in all three middle schools last year.
How did Ridge do last year? Was Ridge able to beat Memorial or Shore?
Old 07-08-17, 03:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
How did Ridge do last year? Was Ridge able to beat Memorial or Shore?
Ridge beat both teams very badly last year. That is rare for Ridge. Usually city goes to Memorial or Shore.
Old 07-09-17, 12:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Ridge beat both teams very badly last year. That is rare for Ridge. Usually city goes to Memorial or Shore.
Good to see an athlete like that coming up. If he is that good -- and he has some size -- getting him on the field this year at WR may be good for some varsity reps. Sounds like Floriea may be changing positions next year if Kip is as good as advertised. Either way, the future looks bright for the skilled positions, especially if Mentor finds a reliable RB. Will Kip has a chance to start JV at QB over Floriea this year or will they take their time with him and have him compete next year? Good to see that they have a game plan with Shea at QB in an emergency.

Last edited by CardzFan1; 07-09-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 06:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Good to see an athlete like that coming up. If he is that good -- and he has some size -- getting him on the field this year at WR may be good for some varsity reps. Sounds like Floriea may be changing positions next year if Kip is as good as advertised. Either way, the future looks bright for the skilled positions, especially if Mentor finds a reliable RB. Will Kip has a chance to start JV at QB over Floriea this year or will they take their time with him and have him compete next year? Good to see that they have a game plan with Shea at QB in an emergency.
Floriea is a terrific athlete. My guess is he sees time this year as backup QB and maybe starting WR. Kip would likely play a mix of frosh and JV games. If Floreia plays WR, he wouldn't play any JV at all. His QB time would come in mop up time. Kip likey would play JV and the QB from Memorial (Baird) would play frosh; he was solid also.. Guess it all depends on what Triv decides but either way, they're set at QB for next four years.
Old 07-09-17, 09:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Floriea is a terrific athlete. My guess is he sees time this year as backup QB and maybe starting WR. Kip would likely play a mix of frosh and JV games. If Floreia plays WR, he wouldn't play any JV at all. His QB time would come in mop up time. Kip likey would play JV and the QB from Memorial (Baird) would play frosh; he was solid also.. Guess it all depends on what Triv decides but either way, they're set at QB for next four years.
It seems that Floriea is currently the backup QB -- split reps with Shea in a 7-on-7 with Tatarunas out. They probably need him at backup right now in case Tatarunas gets hurt.
Old 07-11-17, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Floriea also plays basketball and lettered as a freshman. It will be interesting which sport the two of them focus on. Depending on the competition in each sport, some can do both. Unlike football, basketball has never produced a D-I recruit. Justin Fritts probably had a chance in basketball, but wanted to also play baseball in college.
Why do they have to focus on one sport?

As for DI recruits in basketball, Adam May (c/o 2006) played at Holy Cross. Micah Potter played in grades 9-11 at Mentor and ended up with multiple offers and committed to OSU before he transferred away in his senior year. So while two pails in comparison to the many DI football players, let's not forget the two that came through.
Old 07-12-17, 10:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Why do they have to focus on one sport?

As for DI recruits in basketball, Adam May (c/o 2006) played at Holy Cross. Micah Potter played in grades 9-11 at Mentor and ended up with multiple offers and committed to OSU before he transferred away in his senior year. So while two pails in comparison to the many DI football players, let's not forget the two that came through.
Forgot about May. Too bad Potter left for a Florida school his senior year. It would have been nice to have him that last year.
Old 07-14-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

The News-Herald is ranking the 25 best individual football seasons of the past 25 years of the players in their coverage area. Each athlete can be on the list just once, and it can be at high school, college, or pro level. LB Mason McKenrick was No. 25 for his stellar collegiate season last year at JCU. Conner Krizancic was No. 18 for his superb senior season.

I am still amazed by Conner's senior season. Through the scrimmage season and after Week 1 - it was very apparent to me (and probably many others) that sophomore Matt Eiswerth was very ready to take the reigns at QB. I was sure the team was better off with Conner in the slot for a few reasons. One, Eiswerth was doing well. Two, Conner looked off at QB. Three, Conner was one of the best receivers ever at Mentor. Why move him away from a position he excelled?

The two split duties at QB in Week 2 against St Ignatius. Eiswerth was overwhelmed against the Cats. Krizancic couldn't do too much either, but he was responsible for the only TD for the Cards (using his legs, not his arm). Conner was given the starting job in Week 3 at Euclid. He didn't look too great that day, but it was a step forward. I thought it was a big mistake to keep him at QB after that Euclid game. Boy did he prove me wrong! From Week 4 through Week 15, Krizancic was every bit as dominant as any past Mentor QB - including Mr. Football winners like Tanski and Trubisky.

You have to assume that both Tanski and Trubisky will be in the top ten. Both guys had great junior and senior seasons. Trubisky had a nice junior year at UNC, but I think the NH will prefer one of his high school seasons.

Any other Mentor player of the last 25 years have a shot? I'm guessing not, but the top contenders would be QB Thom Abbott (2003) or record-setting wide receivers Cameron Kavan (2011), Brandon Fritts (2013), Eddie Daugherty (2014), and Jason Blizzard (2015).
Old 07-16-17, 09:15 AM
All American

Quote:
The News-Herald is ranking the 25 best individual football seasons of the past 25 years of the players in their coverage area. Each athlete can be on the list just once, and it can be at high school, college, or pro level. LB Mason McKenrick was No. 25 for his stellar collegiate season last year at JCU. Conner Krizancic was No. 18 for his superb senior season.

I am still amazed by Conner's senior season. Through the scrimmage season and after Week 1 - it was very apparent to me (and probably many others) that sophomore Matt Eiswerth was very ready to take the reigns at QB. I was sure the team was better off with Conner in the slot for a few reasons. One, Eiswerth was doing well. Two, Conner looked off at QB. Three, Conner was one of the best receivers ever at Mentor. Why move him away from a position he excelled?

The two split duties at QB in Week 2 against St Ignatius. Eiswerth was overwhelmed against the Cats. Krizancic couldn't do too much either, but he was responsible for the only TD for the Cards (using his legs, not his arm). Conner was given the starting job in Week 3 at Euclid. He didn't look too great that day, but it was a step forward. I thought it was a big mistake to keep him at QB after that Euclid game. Boy did he prove me wrong! From Week 4 through Week 15, Krizancic was every bit as dominant as any past Mentor QB - including Mr. Football winners like Tanski and Trubisky.

You have to assume that both Tanski and Trubisky will be in the top ten. Both guys had great junior and senior seasons. Trubisky had a nice junior year at UNC, but I think the NH will prefer one of his high school seasons.

Any other Mentor player of the last 25 years have a shot? I'm guessing not, but the top contenders would be QB Thom Abbott (2003) or record-setting wide receivers Cameron Kavan (2011), Brandon Fritts (2013), Eddie Daugherty (2014), and Jason Blizzard (2015).
If the staff had handled Conner better -- by not having him throw so much prior to the season -- being healthy in game 1 would have probably gotten him Mr. Football. They chose a LB from SVSM that year.

IMO, hard to see anyone from Mentor -- other than Trubisky or Tanski -- ahead of Krizancic from that list. Don't forget that not only did Krizancic win the Tony Fisher Award, but he was also Ohio Co-Offensive Player of the Year.
Old 07-16-17, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If the staff had handled Conner better -- by not having him throw so much prior to the season -- being healthy in game 1 would have probably gotten him Mr. Football. They chose a LB from SVSM that year.
I agree that Krizancic would have closed the gap on winning Mr. Football if it weren't for Weeks 1-3. I don't know how much they had Conner throwing that summer. Maybe it was way too much. Maybe Conner, not having played the position in a few years, just didn't have the stamina. Maybe a combination. I don't know if blame is deserved on any part. Conner put up huge numbers in 2013 considering the first three games had very little production.

Quote:
IMO, hard to see anyone from Mentor -- other than Trubisky or Tanski -- ahead of Krizancic from that list. Don't forget that not only did Krizancic win the Tony Fisher Award, but he was also Ohio Co-Offensive Player of the Year.
I agree, which is why I doubt any of the other players I mentioned above will make the list. I will take Mitch and Bart over him slightly, but Conner's 2013 season was very, very close to the level those two guys played. Nobody else in the last 25 years at Mentor deserves to be ahead of Conner's senior year at QB.

I imagine the NH will use the senior seasons of Trubisky and Tanski when they narrow down to the one defining season. I bet both will be in the top 10, with Mitch having a shot at No. 1. But both players had really good junior seasons. Tanski picked his up during the playoffs as he ended up setting what was a record for passing yards/TD's in the DI state championship game in 2006. Trubisky and the 5-WR offense in 2011 lit up the scoreboard.
Old 07-16-17, 08:06 PM
All American

Quote:
I agree that Krizancic would have closed the gap on winning Mr. Football if it weren't for Weeks 1-3. I don't know how much they had Conner throwing that summer. Maybe it was way too much. Maybe Conner, not having played the position in a few years, just didn't have the stamina. Maybe a combination. I don't know if blame is deserved on any part. Conner put up huge numbers in 2013 considering the first three games had very little production.

I agree, which is why I doubt any of the other players I mentioned above will make the list. I will take Mitch and Bart over him slightly, but Conner's 2013 season was very, very close to the level those two guys played. Nobody else in the last 25 years at Mentor deserves to be ahead of Conner's senior year at QB.

I imagine the NH will use the senior seasons of Trubisky and Tanski when they narrow down to the one defining season. I bet both will be in the top 10, with Mitch having a shot at No. 1. But both players had really good junior seasons. Tanski picked his up during the playoffs as he ended up setting what was a record for passing yards/TD's in the DI state championship game in 2006. Trubisky and the 5-WR offense in 2011 lit up the scoreboard.
Mitch will have a shot, but don't forget about two-time Mr. Football Robert Smith. Smith was also National Player of the Year as a senior. He was the best RB in high school I ever saw.
Old 07-17-17, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

Here is the first in my summer opponent previews for 2017

Week 1: Massillon
Old 07-18-17, 09:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I finally updated the Wiki page for Mentor
Old 07-18-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Mitch will have a shot, but don't forget about two-time Mr. Football Robert Smith. Smith was also National Player of the Year as a senior. He was the best RB in high school I ever saw.

It's only the last 25 years. Smith was in high school before that. But his pro career is possible for a spot

Old 07-18-17, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

Surprisingly, there is another Mentor football player (not named Trubisky/Tanski) on the News-Herald's list. I mentioned some possible names above (Fritts, Abbott, Daugherty, Kavan, and Blizzard). Nope - not one of them.

It isn't a QB, or a WR, or a RB. Not even a defensive player. Nope, it was our record-setting kicker, Kevin Harper. Especially after watching Mentor's kickers really struggle the last several years, I appreciate Harper more and more over the years. I would have never guessed he would have made this list though.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...rey-spear-2009