Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-11-17, 08:33 PM
All District

Walt is on a distinguished road
Ohio Capital Conference 2017

There's a thread on Coffman but no other OCC talk...and we're under three weeks until two-a-days start.

So what's the word? Who's going to be good? Who's your sleeper team?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-17, 02:10 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty curious to see what happens in the OCC Ohio relative to Grove City. I think they will take a few years to rebuild, but I think they picked a good guy (Varney) to do it (as evidenced by what he did in the Central Ohio football equivalent of Siberia -- Franklin Heights -- I don't think anybody could have predicted the turnaround job he did there, transfers or not).

As I referenced elsewhere, the Picktowns and Gahanna, are at a place where it will likely take GC years to reach, the OCC Cross-over scheduling regime should make putting 3 wins on the board a very doable goal, and that will help stabilize things. they can then maybe hope to challenge the Burg and Lancaster in a 2-3 years (depending upon the talent pipeline). Getting to 5-5 and having a coach who is not a raging A-hole, will help get kids out of the hallways and getting the parents behind you.

I'm pretty bullish a Grove City turn around.

My second most interesting sub-plot over in the OCC Ohio is what the new staff can do at PN. Pick North seemed to have things going in the right direction beginning in 2009, making the Final 4 in 2012, and still being good in 2013. Things seem to have started to drift backwards the last few years and they appear to have been hemorrhaging players. Will be curious to see what the new staff will do.

Pick Central seems to be in a good place. Maybe not on that 2007-08, 2010-11 range when they were truly elite, but they seem to be at a place where they can be counted on to be good to very good every year.

Last edited by Lambeau Fields; 07-13-17 at 08:11 AM. Reason: clarifiers
Old 07-12-17, 05:34 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I'm pretty curious to see what happens in the OCC Ohio relative to Grove City. I think they will take a few years to rebuild, but I think they picked a good guy (Varney) to do it (as evidenced by what he did in the Central Ohio football equivalent of Siberia -- Franklin Heights -- I don't think anybody could have predicted the turnaround job he did there, transfers or not).

As I referenced elsewhere, the Picktowns and Gahanna, are at a place where it will likely take GC years to reach, the OCC Cross-over scheduling regime should make putting 3 on the board a very doable goal, and that will help stabilize things. they can then maybe hope to challenge the Burg and Lancaster in a 2-3 years (depending upon the talent pipeline). Getting to 5-5 and having a coach who is not a raging A-hole, will help get kids out of the hallways and getting the parents behind you.

I'm pretty bullish a Grove City turn around.
This certainly helps.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...-to-grove-city
Old 07-12-17, 07:22 PM
All District

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
I haven't heard much of anything except from the central and north camps. Even so, I haven't heard much of anything other than things are going very well.
Old 07-13-17, 12:29 PM
Yappi Supporter

Interesting strategy for Westerville Central's Magistro to announce this season will be his last before the season, rather than at the end like most coaches.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...er-2017-season
Old 07-13-17, 01:07 PM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Excitement in Marysville with the new coach. More kids are out and coach working on team chemistry along with Xs and Os so we will see what happens.

If the Xs and Os come together 5-5 is realistic and while not something to brag about it is a good stepping stone for the first year coach. Anything less than holding serve at 3-7 will be a very bad sign.

I know coach is hoping for playoffs and while it would be great I have a hard time seeing a 6th or even 7th win that would get them in.
Old 07-13-17, 01:35 PM
Varsity

smashmouth56 is on a distinguished road
each of the OCC divisions are basically a tale of few dominant teams and the rest hoping for a 5-5 season.

Pickerington North, Pickerington Central and Gahanna clearly the best but I think Grove City got an excellent coach, not sure the talent and the support is there right now.

Hilliard Davidson, Upper Arlington and Dublin Coffman clearly the best there but Central Crossing got a new coach and can they continue the playoff push or was last year the real Comets.

interesting to see how the Olentangy school line up and can Liberty continue their winning ways.

Sad to see Coach Magistro stepping down at Westerville Central, he is a class act in the coaching profession
Old 07-13-17, 10:35 PM
Yappi Supporter

Good luck to Coach Golden upon his return from chemo treatments; this is a great story.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...hts-off-cancer
Old 07-14-17, 11:32 AM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
What time should we come to Tiger Stadium with buckets and mops and has anyone decided where we're going to dump it all? Dang but turf would have been a lot easier to clean up. Especially if it were planted at the top of the hill next to the high school.
Old 07-14-17, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a lot of interesting storylines in Central Ohio this season , including some of the aforementioned stories on this thread that have been reported on.

Coach Golden's story is especially special and lets hope his recovery continues and he gets stronger. Hard not to root for him and Delaware this season, the kids will have a huge incentive to rally around him no question.

Magistro is a hall of famer , but may be he think s he has done what he can at Central and wants one more challenge to turn a program around , he is a proven winner and the job he has done at Central has show that .

Grove City is a job that has some real positives , unfortunately as LF pointed out they are in a meat grinder with the Pickerington's and Gahanna as well as Lancaster and R-Burg , open with Davidson , but they have picked up two studs in the Ready transfer and another who played at Ready his Soph Yr. before going to Davidson last year . 5 year plan and build is necessary .

Coffman Gahanna and UA going to R-2 is interesting , may be more to me obviously , but my take about change being good and interesting was made because the Rocks were drawing Davidson and Wayne too often . Of course they are both great programs , but it wasn't because they couldn't beat them , it's just more interesting to see other match-ups once in a while .

Saw Wayne three of the last 4 years, and yes lost each time , 2014 game was more like a regional final in quality though, and Davidson in 2012, 2014 and last year after of course seeing them in the reg season. Rocks were 2-1 in those play-off games , but as great as the rivalry is , it's more interesting to me anyway for more variety . this move doesn't ensure it because Gahanna Olentangy and UA are on the regular season schedule , but they haven't seen these teams in the actual play-offs .

But at least Wayne and Davidson are inR-3 so that is an impossibility . Liberty I think will continue their winning ways .

I do think Marysville stock is pointing upwards and may be worth a small buy . They have a few talented kids who will p[lay D-1 and the numbers rising is a good sign, nice community that really supports the programs when they are good, not saying they don't now but if they start to win ? the fans and community really follows.
Old 07-15-17, 07:39 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Taking a timeout to congratulate the OCC All-Sports winners...
New Albany in the Capital
Olentangy Liberty in the Buckeye (IMHO, Pats have best overall athletic dept in Central OH.)
Pickerington Central in the Ohio
Dublin Coffman in the Central
and Hilliard Darby in the Cardinal (Go Panthers!)
Old 07-17-17, 05:36 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
What time should we come to Tiger Stadium with buckets and mops and has anyone decided where we're going to dump it all? Dang but turf would have been a lot easier to clean up. Especially if it were planted at the top of the hill next to the high school.
Picktown Palooza was saved, though.

http://nbc4i.com/2017/07/14/picktown...fter-flooding/