Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-06-17, 03:00 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Nothing against Middletown but that is 3 more wins than the Middies had last year.
Uh that is a fact
Old 07-06-17, 03:16 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
This isn't personal against your son , and I never said he is LYING , I am sure he is a vastly superior human compared to most of us out here, that's not the point but that statement is patently FALSE , if he indeed uttered the phrase" EVERY TEXAS 6- A play-of team would crush the top big school team in Ohio by 40 ? it , simply isn't true.

Yes many D-1 Ohio teams enrollment wise would not be palced in Texas's highest division, some might be 4-a BUT THE TOP couple teams in Ohio aren't al getting crushed by over 4 DOZEN TEXAS 6-A teams, think for a minute please what if that was a fact what that would mean .

It would mean that those teams would be filled with so much material as well at that state that Texas and the top Texas Colleges { TEXAS A'M , HOUSTON , TECH , BAYLOR ET AL WOULD BE BETTER THAN THEY ARE WOUDLN'T IT ?}

The talent IS NOT spread out equally amongst 9 schools in Texas , and yes they sometimes go to other states, but so do Ohio kids, not an Ohio homer here, just that statement makes no sense , if it did , you would see little top NO OHIO kids in any Rivals top 100 list and a crap load more Texans , even though there is a nice number. You see what I am saying here ?

Every play-off qualifier isn't crushing the best Ohio has to offer PERIOD, if your son said that he is mistaken or knows little about Ohio LARGE school football because the gap isn't nearly that wide , he could be the Pope, Mother Teresa , Elon Musk and Tom Brady al rolled into one and of course train guide dogs and be a meals on wheels volunteer {Oops that has bene axed } and that statement would still be wrong .

Last edited by Harrycrane; 07-06-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Who was the top BIG school team in Ohio last year? Are we going to go with the state champion St. Xavier or are we just going to arbitrarily pick one....

I've seen some of those Texas teams and I think some of them would handle (not in no means 40 of them) St. Xavier easily but I also think some other teams in Ohio would play them closer such as St. Edward, Iggy, Colerain, and Wayne.... I would tend to agree that no way all those who qualified for the playoffs would beat the top teams in Ohio by 40+
Old 07-06-17, 05:13 PM
All American

Or even beat them at all . Just qualifying in Texas doesn't require teams to be nasty juggernauts . There are blowouts in their play-offs as well . Vamps last YEAR probably wasn't the best example as ST X even they would admit wasn't the best team overall in D-1 .

So lets say the top 5 teams , are they all going to get steamrolled by Texas 6-A play-off teams who lost in the first round ? Of course not , that's my point , Texas top 6-A teams are often have HUGE enrollments , they are superior to Ohio schools that don't have those numbers even Catholics .

Allen High school has an enrollment of 6400 yes that isn't a misprint , 6400 students so over 3000 boys , of course they are going to be great with tier facilities and such , numbers alone they are going to be good .

Many more Texas schools that have 3000+ enrollments and over 1500 boys bigger than most Ohio schools BOYS ADN GIRLS, that being said , not 50 schools that wipe the floor with Ohio's best few teams
Old 07-06-17, 05:14 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Who was the top BIG school team in Ohio last year? Are we going to go with the state champion St. Xavier or are we just going to arbitrarily pick one....

I've seen some of those Texas teams and I think some of them would handle (not in no means 40 of them) St. Xavier easily but I also think some other teams in Ohio would play them closer such as St. Edward, Iggy, Colerain, and Wayne.... I would tend to agree that no way all those who qualified for the playoffs would beat the top teams in Ohio by 40+
Uh obviously you would have to say StX, Lasalle, or Hoban was the top team in the state last year. I think Hoban was the best team but you could argue about that. Have not seen Texas teams but it is hard to believe they are that much better than the Ohio power schools.
Old 07-06-17, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh obviously you would have to say StX, Lasalle, or Hoban was the top team in the state last year. I think Hoban was the best team but you could argue about that. Have not seen Texas teams but it is hard to believe they are that much better than the Ohio power schools.
No, it is not obvious. If we are going with state champions then fine but St. Xavier lost 5 games last season. If I was to choose 1 team from Ohio to play against the last playoff 6A Texas qualifier it would not be St. Xavier (even though I am pretty certain they could win that game). The Bombers got blown out by John Bosco CAL last season. Send Colerain, Wayne, Iggy or Ed's and I will take my chances that not only can they compete with that last qualifier but likely defeat them..... it would be nice to know who that last qualifier was. If you look at Bowie, Reagan, and Midland... I am pretty sure they made the 6A playoffs and the top Ohio teams should have no problem defeating them by 2 to 3 scores..... as you know, it is all about the match-ups. Wayne and Colerain has the speed while Ed's and Iggy has the size and experience. St. Xavier I believe just got hot at the right time and caught some breaks....

I know you are no a true believer of power ratings but if I knew the last Texas qualifier I could generate their power rating and compare it with the top Ohio teams.....
Old 07-06-17, 05:57 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
No, it is not obvious. If we are going with state champions then fine but St. Xavier lost 5 games last season. If I was to choose 1 team from Ohio to play against the last playoff 6A Texas qualifier it would not be St. Xavier (even though I am pretty certain they could win that game). The Bombers got blown out by John Bosco CAL last season. Send Colerain, Wayne, Iggy or Ed's and I will take my chances that not only can they compete with that last qualifier but likely defeat them..... it would be nice to know who that last qualifier was. If you look at Bowie, Reagan, and Midland... I am pretty sure they made the 6A playoffs and the top Ohio teams should have no problem defeating them by 2 to 3 scores..... as you know, it is all about the match-ups. Wayne and Colerain has the speed while Ed's and Iggy has the size and experience. St. Xavier I believe just got hot at the right time and caught some breaks....

I know you are no a true believer of power ratings but if I knew the last Texas qualifier I could generate their power rating and compare it with the top Ohio teams.....
Uh, I know nothing about Texas high school football, but it is hard to believe their top teams are that better than the Ohio teams. Uh the 5 D1 catholic powers in the state, and Colerain, Pick Central,Mentor,Davidson,Wayne, and etc.
Old 07-06-17, 06:10 PM
Moderated User

Quote:

Uh Vampy as usual you are spot on. There are 5 or 6 teams you could say deserve to play on. I agree with your view that 4 or 5 schools in Ohio could compete with the schools in Texas.
Old 07-06-17, 06:16 PM
All Region

fireflyer is on a distinguished road
Ok most of what you are saying makes sense. When I think of playoff teams...and I think he meant this too...I meant the top two, not the top 10-12. He knows a lot about the MAC, and probably less about our D1 teams, no doubt. Remember too that schools with 3-4,000 kids are common as sand in TX, much less so here. Be aware too that these "titans"--even those who aren't playoff teams--are inevitably backed by endless amounts of money from deep-pocket alumni...another thing not too common in Ohio. My son said he WATCHED as his 6A team players (he was an assistant coach of course) were entering the tunnel after a significant win, and there stood an older gent handing the boys $100 bills...the QB and some others got 5-6 of 'em, but every boy got at least one. He was alarmed and told the head coach at a coach's meeting, and he was almost laughed out of the room. The head coach said "oh yeah, that reminds me, I need to tell Jimmy $100 ain't cuttin' it any more--Hunter (the QB) said he needs at least a k for a big game!" More loud laughter. I could tell you things that would curl your hair--you wouldn't believe it, period. Its why my kid left 6A after one year, and went to 2A. He couldn't bear it, he said those men had no honor, no integrity at all. So in 2A it was a little better, even though the bigger schools constantly cherry-pick his standout players. So that's his experience--with all that, he gave a strong opinion. Maybe the truth is in the middle somewhere. In any case, the thing about small school champs there being much weaker than MAC teams is true, due to above. Peace.
Old 07-06-17, 06:33 PM
All American

Football is important in Ohio , it is a football state , but in Texas it is RELIGION , a little too much probably as Fire's family can attest . Priorities may be a little out of whack in some places, and yes there is a more college alumni booster feel to their high school football . Kind of comical to hear that here , but just the cost of doing big boy football business there I suppose .
Old 07-06-17, 06:47 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
Ok most of what you are saying makes sense. When I think of playoff teams...and I think he meant this too...I meant the top two, not the top 10-12. He knows a lot about the MAC, and probably less about our D1 teams, no doubt. Remember too that schools with 3-4,000 kids are common as sand in TX, much less so here. Be aware too that these "titans"--even those who aren't playoff teams--are inevitably backed by endless amounts of money from deep-pocket alumni...another thing not too common in Ohio. My son said he WATCHED as his 6A team players (he was an assistant coach of course) were entering the tunnel after a significant win, and there stood an older gent handing the boys $100 bills...the QB and some others got 5-6 of 'em, but every boy got at least one. He was alarmed and told the head coach at a coach's meeting, and he was almost laughed out of the room. The head coach said "oh yeah, that reminds me, I need to tell Jimmy $100 ain't cuttin' it any more--Hunter (the QB) said he needs at least a k for a big game!" More loud laughter. I could tell you things that would curl your hair--you wouldn't believe it, period. Its why my kid left 6A after one year, and went to 2A. He couldn't bear it, he said those men had no honor, no integrity at all. So in 2A it was a little better, even though the bigger schools constantly cherry-pick his standout players. So that's his experience--with all that, he gave a strong opinion. Maybe the truth is in the middle somewhere. In any case, the thing about small school champs there being much weaker than MAC teams is true, due to above. Peace.
Uh, sorry just cant believe these things happened. Uh people handing out 100 dollar bills is almost laughable. Uh I know enough 17 and 18 year old kids, and believe me if that happened they would be broadcasting it on every social media app in the country. The Mac is the best small school league in the state. Cant we just let that be?

Last edited by hoser; 07-06-17 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 06:54 PM
Moderated User

Quote:

Uh I agree with you about StX. They got a lot of breaks in the playoffs. You are right there were probably 5 or 6 teams who were good enough to win it last year. The difference between state champion and everybody else, is not that large.
Old 07-10-17, 06:36 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
I've learned that hoser is a know-it-all and there is no sense in arguing. Anyone that knows high school football knows that you don't lump MAC schools in with the norm. They are very much above average. I'd put my money on a MAC school against ANYONE until I lose. Cold-water, St Henry, Marion have all sent big time stars to the next two levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh, right Moeller Coldwater, STX St Henry, and Iggy Marion,Uh beyond stupid. Massacres in every games. Uh hang on the Easter Bunny is on the way and the tooth fairy will be here soon.
Old 07-12-17, 02:39 PM
Moderated User

Quote:

Uh no I believe your power rankings are pretty much spot on, except your ranking Marion Local above a lot of very good D1 schools.Dont know how you can rank a D5 or D6 school that high. Doesn't make sense and most who are not biased know it.Size, speed, and athletic ability make all the difference.Is Marion Local one of top 50 schools in the state? Probably. Top 20 ?Noway.
Old 07-17-17, 09:54 PM
Varsity

footballfan32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
My son is a high school coach in TX, which no one would argue as being THE most football-oriented state in the country. He coaches at a mid-level (4A) school. He said one day one of the kids asked how football in Ohio compared to TX football (they knew his son played on a championship team in OH). He told them that any D1 champ in Ohio--no matter how strong they were--couldn't come within 40 points of ANY 6A play-off team in TX. He said the OH team would be "crushed like a bug". But...the story is VERY different in comparing small schools. "No small school champ in TX could even hang with half the schools in the MAC. ML or Coldwater would make confetti out of the TX small-school champ." Then he told them that ML would have a good chance to even beat HIS TEAM (this was 2014), which was equal to our DIV or DIII. They were 5-5 that year, so that might not have been much of an exaggeration. Anyway, his players became fascinated with the MAC, and some still follow them online! How funny is that? I think it's possible that the MAC is indeed the premiere small-school conference in the country.

This is a special kind of stupid lol. Pretty sure in '05 Texas 5A State Champ Tyler Lee came in and played D1 State Champ Colerain in the Herbie and lost 27-12. 5A being the biggest division at the time in TX
Old 07-19-17, 07:15 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan32 View Post
This is a special kind of stupid lol. Pretty sure in '05 Texas 5A State Champ Tyler Lee came in and played D1 State Champ Colerain in the Herbie and lost 27-12. 5A being the biggest division at the time in TX
Lee[2004 went 7-3 in regular season] was the defending state champs, in 2005 when they played Colerain, they went 4-6 and didn't make the playoffs.
The best teams in Ohio can compete with the best teams in Texas, to say they would lose by a lot is ignorant