Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-11-11, 02:27 PM
Yappi Survivor Champion

Altiora 96 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Altiora 96 Send a message via Yahoo to Altiora 96
Dang........ it's been almost 6 years since I started this thread. Glad to see it's still going. A lot has changed since then.... Heck I don't even live on or anywhere near the West Side anymore.

Well the west side of FL. It's just not the same.
Old 02-11-11, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altiora 96 View Post
Dang........ it's been almost 6 years since I started this thread. Glad to see it's still going. A lot has changed since then.... Heck I don't even live on or anywhere near the West Side anymore.

Well the west side of FL. It's just not the same.
I just read the first two pages. Great stuff!
Old 02-11-11, 03:48 PM
All Region

PurplePantherPit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
This kind of makes me wish we had Google earth back then so we could compare the area then and now.
Ask and ye shal receive. Here is 1975 and 1996. I never realized Glenway was re-routed as much as it was. 1975 quality could be better.

Old 02-11-11, 08:44 PM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Actually, the parking lot was where Pepboys is and the store was just Northwest of that, where Provident Bank, now PNC is. That whole area was graded to put Glencrossing through. From where Glencrossing is all the way up to Dicks was the Swallens owned mobilehome park. Pretty crappy old homes there at that park.
My recollection was that the bldg. in the picture was on the flat part of Glenway directly across from the little driveway next to Skyline. To the right of the picture were a couple of other Swallens buildings going down the hill to where the bank is now. I don't remember exactly what they were though. Maybe a pool supply place? Not really sure on that but I don't really remember them grading any of the land except to put in the driveway to Circuit City and to cut the hill away for the bank.

I think that somewhere near the bottom of the hill across from the carwash was an entrance to the stores that are where Panera and Best Buy are. It is probably right were Glencrossing Way intersects Glenway but I don't remember if there was a light there or not. There were also entrances along Glenway when heading toward Price Hill as there are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePantherPit View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. Here is 1975 and 1996. I never realized Glenway was re-routed as much as it was. 1975 quality could be better.
The Y-split between Glenway and Boudinot used to be where the little stub street (Glen Hills Way) is now between the two roads. So you would go to that traffic light by Walgreens and veer to the left heading towards Western Hills. I remember the additional bridge was going to be a big deal that was going to save people time when driving to the Plaza from Delhi and Price Hill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altiora 96 View Post
Dang........ it's been almost 6 years since I started this thread. Glad to see it's still going.
You deserve some kind of Yappi award. I doubt there are many threads if any with as many posts, views or longevity anywhere on here. Lot's of great memories.

Last edited by jjakq27; 02-11-11 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 08:54 PM
All American

AZElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakq27 View Post
My recollection was that the bldg. in the picture was on the flat part of Glenway directly across from the little driveway next to Skyline. To the right of the picture were a couple of other Swallens buildings going down the hill to where the bank is now. I don't remember exactly what they were though. Maybe a pool supply place? Not really sure on that but I don't really remember them grading any of the land except to put in the driveway to Circuit City and to cut the hill away for the bank.
The buildings on the side and bottom of hill behind the main building were the hardware store and lumber yard. The lumber yard was pretty big. Up the hill, about where Dick's in now was the Swallen's Annex building where they had furniture and eventually electronics.

Also at the bottom of the hill near where the current street is was the original Royal Family Billards and behind that was a trailer park.
Old 02-11-11, 09:12 PM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZElder View Post
The buildings on the side and bottom of hill behind the main building were the hardware store and lumber yard. The lumber yard was pretty big. Up the hill, about where Dick's in now was the Swallen's Annex building where they had furniture and eventually electronics.

Also at the bottom of the hill near where the current street is was the original Royal Family Billards and behind that was a trailer park.
So the building in the photo was considered the main building or was the first building there and they added on later? It's funny that I remember going to the annex a lot as a kid so I guess I always considered that the main building. Never really went in the other one until I started buying albums.
Old 02-11-11, 10:38 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Haha! Dang, I forgot all about Royal Billiards and the trailer park. I actually had some family that lived in that trailer park for a short time. The memories came flooding back when I read your post!
Old 02-12-11, 11:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakq27 View Post
So the building in the photo was considered the main building or was the first building there and they added on later? It's funny that I remember going to the annex a lot as a kid so I guess I always considered that the main building. Never really went in the other one until I started buying albums.
Yes, that photo is of the main building/store. You can kind of see one of the hardware/lumberyard buildings poking out from behind the main one on the left. My dad was a contractor and I spent a lot of time in the lumber yard as a kid. If I remember right, there were two large lumber buildings that you could actually drive into to pickup lumber. Another building was the hardware store with tools and the like.
Old 02-14-11, 10:29 AM
All World

oskar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, that photo is of the main building/store. You can kind of see one of the hardware/lumberyard buildings poking out from behind the main one on the left. My dad was a contractor and I spent a lot of time in the lumber yard as a kid. If I remember right, there were two large lumber buildings that you could actually drive into to pickup lumber. Another building was the hardware store with tools and the like.
The C&O to Indiana Cheviot yard was immediately adjacent to Swallens. The building you see peeking out to the left of Swallens main building might very well be the old coal dock that served that yard. Rather convenient though, having a lumber yard right next to a little switch yard.

BTW, in that same photo, the car that is parked right behind the Swallens sign in the center of the frame is a car that appears to be a white Olds Super 88. That's what my dad drove until the summer of '69. I always went with my dad when he went shopping. I just may have been in the store with my dad at the moment the photo was taken. I really don't even feel the least bit famous either...just old.
Old 02-14-11, 10:54 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
FYI, in the 1975 photo you can see two of the Westsides three drive-ins. In the lower right hand corner, you can see the fan shaped parking area of the Ferguson Drive-In and in the lower left hand corner you can see the Auto-In drive-in at the corner of Anderson Ferry and Crookshank. Obviously, the third drive-in, the (Dirty) Dent is not in this picture.
Old 02-15-11, 04:35 PM
All American

Quote:
FYI, in the 1975 photo you can see two of the Westsides three drive-ins. In the lower right hand corner, you can see the fan shaped parking area of the Ferguson Drive-In and in the lower left hand corner you can see the Auto-In drive-in at the corner of Anderson Ferry and Crookshank. Obviously, the third drive-in, the (Dirty) Dent is not in this picture.
That is a great pickup. Didn't even think to look at other parts of that photo. I remember seeing most of those old Kurt Russel Disney movies like World's Strongest Teenager with my family at the Auto-In. When I got older, I used to go with my dad to the Sunday flea market at the Ferguson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar
The C&O to Indiana Cheviot yard was immediately adjacent to Swallens. The building you see peeking out to the left of Swallens main building might very well be the old coal dock that served that yard. Rather convenient though, having a lumber yard right next to a little switch yard

Also a good call. I remember there being old rail tracks in the middle of the lumber buildings. The old buildings were great for lumber because my dad could just drive his pickup right in there and they would load him up with what he needed.
Old 02-15-11, 08:00 PM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar View Post
BTW, in that same photo, the car that is parked right behind the Swallens sign in the center of the frame is a car that appears to be a white Olds Super 88. That's what my dad drove until the summer of '69. I always went with my dad when he went shopping. I just may have been in the store with my dad at the moment the photo was taken. I really don't even feel the least bit famous either...just old.
There probably weren't to many of those cars around so there's a good chance it's yours. But now that it's out people are likely to treat you differently.
Old 02-16-11, 04:50 PM
All World

Wouldnt have been nice if that RR right of way could have been made into a bike trail from Union Terminal all the way to Harrison. It would have been the Loveland bike trail of the West.
Old 02-16-11, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wouldnt have been nice if that RR right of way could have been made into a bike trail from Union Terminal all the way to Harrison. It would have been the Loveland bike trail of the West.
+1
Old 02-18-11, 10:03 AM
All World

Construction to start on Elberon Apts. From the Community Press:

The community is invited to celebrate the revamping of Price Hill landmark The Elberon during a construction kickoff event at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23.

Cincinnati Vice Mayor Roxanne Qualls, City Manager Milton Dohoney and other speakers will be followed by light refreshments, the chance to view renderings of the project and a brief tour at the building, 3414 W. Eighth St. in East Price Hill. Because of lead abatement already underway in the building, the event will be held outdoors, so attendees are encouraged to dress for the weather.

The Model Group, in partnership with non-profit community development group Price Hill Will, acquired the 26,526-square-foot building at the corner of W. Eighth and Elberon Avenue late last year and will redevelop it into 37 one- and two-bedroom units for seniors 55 and older. Two vacant homes next to the Elberon will also be demolished, creating additional parking and green space.

Expected to be completed in February 2012, the project has a $7.4 million price tag that will be funded through five sources, including the City’s HOME funds and Federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) II dollars.

“It will have an incredibly positive impact on all of Price Hill,” Ken Smith, executive director of Price Hill will, said in a press release. “The rebirth of this highly visible structure will send a strong message that the Hill is alive and thrives.”
Old 02-18-11, 11:55 AM
All American

jjakq27

It will be nice to see that corner and hopefully the entire area cleaned up and improved.
Old 02-21-11, 11:12 AM
Freshman

purplerain88 is on a distinguished road
Im getting in on this thread kind of late. I just discovered it and enjoyed reading everyones memories. I moved to Cincy in 1985, and heres some of the things I remember. I remember going to Gretchens restaurant with my family, it was on delhi pike, I think its a mexican place now. The food wasnt the best, but they had a decent breakfast bar and cute waitresses. I used to go to that arcade in western woods mall to play bad dudes, dont remember the name of the arcade though. I also used to make a weekly trip to the house of tropicals store that was located behind meijer square, it is where they now have the explorer haunted house. One of the first friends I made was a young lady that talked me into going to what we called the delhi dance. It was held inside delhi park, it was pretty awful. I only went to a couple. I also recall the only chinese restaurants back in the day were south china sea and quebec gardens.
Old 02-21-11, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain88 View Post
I also recall the only chinese restaurants back in the day were south china sea and quebec gardens.
I had Chinese food for the first time at Quebec Gardens, it was pretty good from what I recall.
Old 02-21-11, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Construction to start on Elberon Apts. From the Community Press:

The community is invited to celebrate the revamping of Price Hill landmark The Elberon during a construction kickoff event at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23.

Cincinnati Vice Mayor Roxanne Qualls, City Manager Milton Dohoney and other speakers will be followed by light refreshments, the chance to view renderings of the project and a brief tour at the building, 3414 W. Eighth St. in East Price Hill. Because of lead abatement already underway in the building, the event will be held outdoors, so attendees are encouraged to dress for the weather.

The Model Group, in partnership with non-profit community development group Price Hill Will, acquired the 26,526-square-foot building at the corner of W. Eighth and Elberon Avenue late last year and will redevelop it into 37 one- and two-bedroom units for seniors 55 and older. Two vacant homes next to the Elberon will also be demolished, creating additional parking and green space.

Expected to be completed in February 2012, the project has a $7.4 million price tag that will be funded through five sources, including the City’s HOME funds and Federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) II dollars.

“It will have an incredibly positive impact on all of Price Hill,” Ken Smith, executive director of Price Hill will, said in a press release. “The rebirth of this highly visible structure will send a strong message that the Hill is alive and thrives.”
I'm looking forward to seeing this get underway. I hope they do that old building justice.
Old 02-21-11, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Im getting in on this thread kind of late. I just discovered it and enjoyed reading everyones memories. I moved to Cincy in 1985, and heres some of the things I remember. I remember going to Gretchens restaurant with my family, it was on delhi pike, I think its a mexican place now. The food wasnt the best, but they had a decent breakfast bar and cute waitresses. I used to go to that arcade in western woods mall to play bad dudes, dont remember the name of the arcade though. I also used to make a weekly trip to the house of tropicals store that was located behind meijer square, it is where they now have the explorer haunted house. One of the first friends I made was a young lady that talked me into going to what we called the delhi dance. It was held inside delhi park, it was pretty awful. I only went to a couple. I also recall the only chinese restaurants back in the day were south china sea and quebec gardens.
Was it Aladin's Castle?
Old 02-21-11, 01:51 PM
Freshman

purplerain88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Was it Aladin's Castle?
I think you may be correct. Also I dont know if anyone else remembers this place in Cheviot, but I worked at Kreimers (sp?) market while I was in college. My grandmother would get me t shirts from velva sheen. Not really sure, I never went there. Does anyone know what those stores used to be on glenway that were accross from super x? There was a Larosas, and a couple stores that had pictures on the roof of clothes?
Old 02-21-11, 02:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Does anyone know what those stores used to be on glenway that were accross from super x? There was a Larosas, and a couple stores that had pictures on the roof of clothes?
I think that used to be the pants shack back in the early seventies. It was closed for a long time but the silly sign was still up there until the building was torn down a few years ago.
Old 03-01-11, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Some improvements coming to Riverside Park: http://www.building-cincinnati.com/2...rside-rec.html
Old 03-03-11, 09:40 PM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
Looks like the end of an era, too bad !

http://www.local12.com/news/local/st...6gHmml_MA.cspx
Old 03-04-11, 08:59 AM
All World

drudy23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk10 View Post
Looks like the end of an era, too bad !

http://www.local12.com/news/local/st...6gHmml_MA.cspx
I'm sure this is a kick to the gut to alot of people. I don't go to Phillips anymore, but I grew up there, as I'm sure many of others did. Some of our best memories in life are the good times we have as kids; and the fun and trouble we got into at Phillips was a big part of my childhood.

When something like Phillips closes, it really does make you sad for the decline of the westside. In the last couple of years when I would visit the pool as a guest, it was never really that crowded and the "clientele" certainly wasn't what I remembered. Alot of stealing going on...and to me, a lot of basic maintenance issues with the pool itself.

I don't doubt the cost to maintain is high, but I'm sure their numbers were down as well, as well as other factors that led to the closing. But it's sad to see it go.

You'd think someone would buy it and keep it open? If not, that's alot of land to sit there and rot away.
Old 03-04-11, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
I don't doubt the cost to maintain is high, but I'm sure their numbers were down as well, as well as other factors that led to the closing. But it's sad to see it go.

You'd think someone would buy it and keep it open? If not, that's alot of land to sit there and rot away.
Unfortunately if your kids play any sports these days, especially club or "select" sports, your family just doesn't have the time to use a swim club anymore so a swim club membership is a waste of money. Kid's sports have become all consuming for many young families who typically would use a swim club.
Old 03-04-11, 10:56 AM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Unfortunately if your kids play any sports these days, especially club or "select" sports, your family just doesn't have the time to use a swim club anymore so a swim club membership is a waste of money. Kid's sports have become all consuming for many young families who typically would use a swim club.
Good point. And back then there was always a stay-at-home mom or two in the neighborhood whose family belonged to a swim club. Those mom's were usually the transport if you didn't live within walking distance. Not many of them these days either.
Old 03-07-11, 06:32 AM
All World

Jteegardner
I find this very sad indeed. However, for those of you looking for a very affordable replacement, check out the Deer Run/Timberchase Swim Club. Look us up on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dee...26765277341137 It is an up an coming swim club that was reserected from a sure closure by a team of neighbors. It is very safe and family oriented.
Old 03-07-11, 12:02 PM
All World

oskar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
I'm sure this is a kick to the gut to alot of people. I don't go to Phillips anymore, but I grew up there, as I'm sure many of others did. Some of our best memories in life are the good times we have as kids; and the fun and trouble we got into at Phillips was a big part of my childhood.
Both my brothers and I had season passes over the years, with my last being 40 years ago. Not only was it a great place for kids to hang out, but probably the first place I got to check out what my female classmates looked like in swimsuits. I don't know if it was the worst trouble I was ever in, but just a couple of days after opening day of the 1969 season I walked through the girls locker room. It did cause a minor stir, and of course kids can't keep their mouths shut. The next day at school my science teacher Miss Laumann wagged her finger at me and told me I was "naughty".

For years Toby Heile worked there in some capacity, Business Manager perhaps?

I'm sure there's some of us old duffs that remember when they had the trampolines out front. Those went away in the mid 60's, I think mainly because too many kids would lose control and get hurt.

Myself, I went to Phillips as much to play hoops and/or socialize as I did to go swimming.
Old 03-07-11, 01:02 PM
All World

We had a membership all through the 80s, 90s, and 00s until summer 2009. It was great when my kids were little and having a beer at poolside was always great. The fact that we could use rafts was also a nice difference from the smaller suburban pools. Our kids never had any trouble there and I always felt that they were safe when left there unsupervised. Toby was a fixture there for at least 30 years. I saw him at a reunion picnic there several years ago. It was an all round great place for kids and families from opening to this past year. It will be missed. I appreciate Zeek and Diane’s efforts over the years to keep it open.

By the way, as a Delhi Swim Club kid in the 70s, I was always convinced that the really good looking girls my age were hanging out at Phillipps. Grass is always greener I guess.